Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 02:30   #16
BHPian

Sir please mention the gears that you used for completing this obstacle.
Old 8th July 2010, 08:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sir Behram,
This thread started by you is 'Manna from Heaven', rich contributions of personal experiences and techniques from stalwarts in off-roading can make this thread a Bible of off-roading for beginners as well as experienced ones.
I will learn a lot here.
Survey on foot and consequent tips from WOLF are very true.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 8th July 2010 at 08:31.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Wolf - thank you for your analysis of my comments. I can clearly observe that we think very similarly. Please PM me your contact number. We need to talk, as it will be my pleasure.

Gear selection - I purposely did not mention which gear I cleared the obstacle in, because I wanted to set people thinking in this direction. I will shortly post a "gear selection" explanation.

IFS / R&P - as far as IFS and R&P steering is concerned, please refer the related threads. I agree that as times move on, there is no advantage in using "previous" technology (I would not call it archiac because I may get hammered again ), although I retain my respect for its capability. I have also proved the advantages of IFS and R&P steering on the ground 15 days back. In retrospect, I can now hazard saying that I was purposely hammering the Thar over some obstacles with mud flying all over the place. I was also told that rocks went in the front and came out the back and that I had managed to move a large rock 15 ft away from its original spot. Well, this amply demonstrated the capability of the vehicle as well as the IFS and the R&P steering. The first photograph shows Sharath / Vinay photographing two such rocks which undertook this journey. The second photograph shows the mud flying all over the place. The third photograph is my favourite due to its stance, it shows the IFS and the R&P steering.

Enjoy!.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Off Road Driving Techniques-examm1104.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-138308.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-p6254156.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 8th July 2010 at 10:01.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2010, 10:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Archaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
IFS / R&P - as far as IFS and R&P steering is concerned, please refer the related threads. I agree that as times move on, there is no advantage in using "previous" technology (I would not call it archiac because I may get hammered again ), although I retain my respect for its capability. I have also proved the advantages of IFS and R&P steering on the ground 15 days back. In retrospect, I can now hazard saying that I was purposely hammering the Thar over some obstacles with mud flying all over the place. I was also told that rocks went in the front and came out the back and that I had managed to move a large rock 15 ft away from its original spot. Well, this amply demonstrated the capability of the vehicle as well as the IFS and the R&P steering. The first photograph shows Sharath / Vinay photographing two such rocks which undertook this journey. The second photograph shows the mud flying all over the place. The third photograph is my favourite due to its stance, it shows the IFS and the R&P steering.
Hello Sir,

The Advantage of R&P Steering and IFS is on the Road, and on bad roads, OTRs it works, but it is not the best option.

The Previous Technology of "Solid Axle/Rigid Axle" are still being used by all the off-roading stalwarts.

Even the Dakar Rally 7 Times Champion KAMAZ trucks are Solid Axle SPOA, and they have thrashed the Tatra, on what was supposed to be the Tatra's Forte, Hi-Speed Cross-Country because of the Independent Suspension.

Even most of the Hummer Look-a-like's are switching to Solid Axle for some very obvious reasons.

The True Test of a R&P Steering will be with Front Differential Locks engaged and when a winch fitted and is used actively.

Over the Mumbai Off-Road weekend you have definitely proved the Thar as a good all-rounder and capable off-roader, but trying to push it to the be all, end all slot is not fair.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2010, 10:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka - I appreciate your point of view. I am not trying to push anything. Change is a continuos process and improvement suggestions are always welcome.

I think we are again deviating. We must restrict ourselves to "Off Road Driving Techniques" only in this thread.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2010, 11:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, I am hearing the word ego a lot since EXAMM/AKC event, if I recall correctly that was never or rarely mentioned before. What just changed?
Where did you hear word ego so much? It was me who mentioned it once in this thread and that too in the context of humility vs ego.

Anyways it was just an observation, different people different style i guess. No point bringing the OT rant into this technique's thread.

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Having said the above, what Off Road Driving technique is it that you are suggesting through your post, always listen to friends while keeping your ego away??! Sorry I failed to see that, sorry

Is it me or some sentences in between words have disappeared from the underlined quoted bit above lol What are you trying to do wolf? planning to put me in the center of a mob attack lol lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th July 2010 at 12:14.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:58   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The third photograph is my favourite due to its stance, it shows the IFS and the R&P steering.
Glad you liked it Behram, let me know if you want the high resolution pic of the same.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Wolf - thank you for your analysis of my comments. I can clearly observe that we think very similarly. Please PM me your contact number. We need to talk, as it will be my pleasure.
I am glad we share commonalities, in fact Im humbled for obvious reasons! I will reach you via a PM, my pleasure.

Quote:
Gear selection - I purposely did not mention which gear I cleared the obstacle in, because I wanted to set people thinking in this direction. I will shortly post a "gear selection" explanation.
Unfortunately I haven't seen the video of this maneuver nor have I seen the terrain so no blind guesses on the gear part from my side at this time. We all have a tendency to always use a gear that is an overkill, would be interesting to learn from your posts on which and whens of gear selection. Once you disclose that it would be interesting to compare it with what other folks did, the ones who made it and also the ones who didnt.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the endurance of IFS and R&P, the game has just begun. Before we both write the 'archaics' off we need to really test it against the time tested samples, the solid axles- the holy grail of off road endurance.

Yes, its a nice photo but Im not a great fan of your snorkel tip

With the above said, I'd like to add a few words before dwelling into pure 'Off road techniques':

One should be extremely well aware of his/her off road vehicle in terms of physical dimensions. How far each corners stretch out till, how far ahead is the ladder extending up to, what is the lowest point of the vehicle in a particular obstacle, maximum permissible angles for ascent, descent and ramp over. And last but not the least, learning what are the cons of a rock busted diff, severed center cross member, beached propeller shaft, disasters of hydro block and a punctured diesel tank.

Last edited by The Wolf : 8th July 2010 at 13:48.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

For a moment I thought I was in the wrong thread (mistook it to be YET ANOTHER THAR thread ), then realized it is actually supposed to be a 'technique' thread.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear BD,

Please analyse the set of pics i have posted about my car below. I was telling my passenger about crawling, so i slotted in first gear and she just crawled through everything. The only steering input i gave was when i approached the obstacle. Once lined up, she just went straight on. I just held the steering firm (with thumbs out) to prevent automatic steering via the terrain. I did not need to give any slight inputs.

Only once i got bored of crawling after the first one and a half dips that i slotted into second and pressed the chamcha.

Your thoughts and inputs on this please. Am i doing anything wrong or...?
Attached Thumbnails
Off Road Driving Techniques-img_5209.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-img_5211.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-img_5212.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-img_5213.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-img_5214.jpg  

Off Road Driving Techniques-img_5215.jpg  

Old 8th July 2010, 14:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative !!!

Quote:
...Therefore, I thought of starting this thread as I feel that it will form a very useful databank for all of us to draw information from, as and when required. ...
Sir, very good idea to have a common place where everyone can share info about off-roading technique .

Quote:
....We must restrict ourselves to "Off Road Driving Techniques" only in this thread...

I agree. we should stick to discussing 'Off roading techniques' alone.
Enough has been discussed about IFS and R&P steering, and we do know that solid axles have definite advantages in hard-core offroading

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 8th July 2010 at 14:31.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Dear BD,

Am i doing anything wrong or...?
Hi Tejas,

Your entire driving approach and technique is blatantly wrong. Your basics are flawed. Please sell your jeep immediately for the lowest denomination you can get and buy a reva you environmentally unconscious xxxxx.

I cant see anything wrong in what you've done. Coming down a steep decline on 2nd low, when it should have been 1st is something to be pondered about in greater detail here though - for the benefit of people.

Correcting steering angles (whether against a dip or towards a dip) is the kind of stuff that should be discussed here. or for that matter using 1st gear over a large slushy stream. Or changing gears whilst bogged down in water (always decide the gear before fording and use that gear all through).

And ofcourse, using the clutch and brakes while descending...we've discussed the whole viewing obstacles enough. Move on yaar
Old 8th July 2010, 14:52   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I cant see anything wrong in what you've done. Coming down a steep decline on 2nd low, when it should have been 1st is something to be pondered about in greater detail here though - for the benefit of people.
Looks like you are not able to let it go. For the record, I was the only one who screwed up while doing that. Other Jeepers who came down in 2nd low didn't raise any eyebrows. I agree I screwed in my execution due to momentary lapse and came out looking like an Idiot. However Jayesh offered the right technique later. The technical analysis of that is anyway happening in engine braking thread in the technical section.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Move on yaar
Arre baba! The only reason i put this up is because BD explained in great detail the angular step by step approach. My dental instincts (similar to yanking a tooth out ) just told me to go straight through and i did without a hiccup!

But, on a more serious note: The one thing everyone has said, and i repeat is that the driver of the vehicle should choose one spotter for himself and only that guy should spot. Not every tom dick and harry.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th July 2010 at 14:57. Reason: typo
Old 8th July 2010, 15:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Arre baba! The only reason i put this up is because BD explained in great detail the angular step by step approach. My dental instincts (similar to yanking a tooth out ) just told me to go straight through and i did without a hiccup!
Only thing I can add here is that, SWB can get away with it most of the time. The longer wheelbase vehicles may end up sitting on their belly if they go slowly. For them angular approach would be helpful. On a SWB angular approach may be even dangerous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks