Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 10:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Pumping the Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
Hi Arka,

Would like to know, on 3rd low did you take it in high RPM or just tap-release-tap. And am sure if you take it with aggressive throttle input, the front wheels will just fly.
Does the vehicle generate enough torque to take such incline by just tapping the accelerator?
Perhaps your axel ratio would have made the difference?

Man, thanks for these techniques. Got enough to experiment these combinations and see how it works with my machines.

Regards
Hi Robinson,

Tap-Release-Tap(Repeat) = Pumping the Accelerator Pedal how vigourously depends on the terrain.

This technique of increasing and decreasing engine RPM, prevent the wheel from digging in and clears the mud in the tread.

Ofcourse, I did is in a considerably high RPM, and my wheels did catch air, but just a little bit, there is a pic of it with light blue smoke

Also Pumping the Throttle (similar to how racers rev up their engines in the start line) is a faster method for gaining speed off-road.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 20th July 2010 at 10:53.
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2010, 11:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arka, That is all well explained, I will try out at the first chance I get. More tips/ advice from you and other learned Jeepers are most welcome as learning never stops.
Regards,
Old 20th July 2010, 13:08   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The vehicle comes to a complete stop in this situation AFAIK.

When you shift gears, you've lost considerable momentum and in certain terrain, the vehicle stops!!

If am not wrong you have MPFI gypsy. Have you tried 3 low for the entire stretch in such inclines??
Old 20th July 2010, 13:23   #109
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy

Quote:

If am not wrong you have MPFI gypsy. Have you tried 3 low for the entire stretch in such inclines??
Hi Robinson,

For Gypsy we normally use 1 Lo and use the Tap-Release-Tap (repeat) method to gain and maintain momentum.

Vikram's Gypsy is a different beast

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th July 2010, 14:25   #110
Team-BHP Support

I think this tippy tippy tap what color you want will work with older vehicles. In drive by wire(all modern crdi, and many modern petrol engines) it has "different" results.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Robinson,

For Gypsy we normally use 1 Lo and use the Tap-Release-Tap (repeat) method to gain and maintain momentum.

Regards,

Arka
Okay, but let me ask you one thing, when you tap-release-tap, do you get desired momentum for any vehicle, or you use it when you feel your wheels are spinning?

Really looking forward to see Vikram's beask in TPC.

Regards

Last edited by robinson.s : 20th July 2010 at 15:52.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:52   #112
Senior - BHPian

Tap & Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think this tippy tippy tap what color you want will work with older vehicles. In drive by wire(all modern crdi, and many modern petrol engines) it has "different" results.
Quote:
Okay, but let me ask you one thing, when you tap-release-tap, do you get desired momentum for any vehicle for that matter, or you use it when you feel your wheels are spinning?

Really looking forward to see Vikram's beast in TPC.

Regards
Hi TSK,

What you say hold good for some modern electronically managed engines, they don't rev down as we would wish.

But even then the technique works in preventing the wheels from digging in.

@ Robinson,

The Tap-Release-Tap (Repeat) method will work for any vehicle, you don't have to do it once you can keep applying your accelerator by this method and it will give you the desired momentum/speed.

Once you get a hang of this technique you can use it to accelerate and prevent the wheels from spinning and even cleaning the wheels while driving in mud.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2010, 19:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sir, I have a 1.3 Carb King running different parts from different vehicles

Quote:

Depends on the terrain and the obstacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not really, it depends on how "we" [The chamcha and the driver] talk to the engine

Quote:
Okay, but let me ask you one thing, when you tap-release-tap, do you get desired momentum for any vehicle, or you use it when you feel your wheels are spinning?
One should access the terrain, understand the vehicle before exploiting the techniques. What works in one vehicle may not work with the other!

Quote:
Hi TSK,

What you say hold good for some modern electronically managed engines, they don't rev down as we would wish.

But even then the technique works in preventing the wheels from digging in.

@ Robinson,

The Tap-Release-Tap (Repeat) method will work for any vehicle, you don't have to do it once you can keep applying your accelerator by this method and it will give you the desired momentum/speed.
@arka
There are methods to make the engine rev down faster and i understand what you mean
Old 21st July 2010, 10:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@arka
There are methods to make the engine rev down faster and i understand what you mean
It took you quite a few years to get there.
SirJi, Tussi Great Ho ,

Tujhme or Mujhme Kuch to Baat Hain Yaar!!!!
Old 21st July 2010, 11:54   #115
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hey Guys, I am off-roading here in UAE for the past 2 1/2 years. Owned & driven couple of 4WD, full-time 4WD, part-time4WD, both A/T & M/T such as Prado(4.0litre), Fortuner 4.0litre etc.Presently driving on Nissan Patrol,4.8litre, M/T, with 2" old man EMU suspension lift kit, Cooper STT tyres 305/70R16.
I can share my experience on sand driving......desert driving. Although driven few times in wadi's, mountain terrain etc;but my experience is on desert driving.
Certain basics are :
1. Know the limitation in your car especially on the HP, torque band and the approcah angle, departure angle before you choose a terrain or a line.
2. Good tyres with better traction once deflated, with strong side walls, so that tyre doesnot pop out.
3. sense of direction, reading the sand dune to choose the lines that can keep you & your vehicle in safety; plus some common sense.
4.Mandatory gears such snatch straps, d-shackles, wooden board, air compressor, pressure gauge, radio, flag poles etc
5. Skills - driving skills, quick reading & reflex & manouvreing skills.
When off-roading, 4WD has to be engaged on 4H. 4L is to be engaged only if your stuck in some soft spots & needs self recovery. You can use rear or front differential locks if necessary in 4L.
With 4WD engaged, drive on 1st or 2 nd gear on climbs, surfing the dunes. If its a rolling dune then 3rd gear should also be fine. The trick is that, once you loose momnetum shift to lower gears & maintain steady momentum where you get the maximum torque in the torque band.
if you are not moving, descend down appropriately. Maintain your wheels towards the gravity & never work againts the gravity, especially when side slopping.
Every drive is a learning experience & we learn through every drive.
You can continue to explain theoretically but will not help much unless you expereince it..... Happy off-roading.!
Old 21st July 2010, 16:17   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmurugan View Post
Hey Guys, I am off-roading here in UAE for the past 2 1/2 years. Owned & driven couple of 4WD, full-time 4WD, part-time4WD, both A/T & M/T such as Prado(4.0litre), Fortuner 4.0litre etc.Presently driving on Nissan Patrol,4.8litre, M/T, with 2" old man EMU suspension lift kit, Cooper STT tyres 305/70R16.
I can share my experience on sand driving......desert driving. Although driven few times in wadi's, mountain terrain etc;but my experience is on desert driving.
Certain basics are :
1. Know the limitation in your car especially on the HP, torque band and the approcah angle, departure angle before you choose a terrain or a line.
2. Good tyres with better traction once deflated, with strong side walls, so that tyre doesnot pop out.
3. sense of direction, reading the sand dune to choose the lines that can keep you & your vehicle in safety; plus some common sense.
4.Mandatory gears such snatch straps, d-shackles, wooden board, air compressor, pressure gauge, radio, flag poles etc
5. Skills - driving skills, quick reading & reflex & manouvreing skills.
When off-roading, 4WD has to be engaged on 4H. 4L is to be engaged only if your stuck in some soft spots & needs self recovery. You can use rear or front differential locks if necessary in 4L.
With 4WD engaged, drive on 1st or 2 nd gear on climbs, surfing the dunes. If its a rolling dune then 3rd gear should also be fine. The trick is that, once you loose momnetum shift to lower gears & maintain steady momentum where you get the maximum torque in the torque band.
if you are not moving, descend down appropriately. Maintain your wheels towards the gravity & never work againts the gravity, especially when side slopping.
Every drive is a learning experience & we learn through every drive.
You can continue to explain theoretically but will not help much unless you expereince it..... Happy off-roading.!
Hi Velmurugan,
Very well explained and way to prctical approach.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards
Old 25th July 2010, 12:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading somewhere (some Australian website if Im not wrong) some time back that if the tyres are losing traction despite of optimum deflation etc one can use water to create more solid ground to gain that little bit additional traction. Say I decided to give my rear two tyres a bit more traction to get out of a small pit that I have created out of struggling to wriggle out, I just pour bottle of water right in the deepest point of where the tyre is caught up and try to exit at a crawling place...

I havent seen this technique narrated anywhere else, anyone?
Old 25th July 2010, 13:48   #118
BHPian

Behram saab, Excellent learning thread this is. I am a die hard offroading fan and has been closely following Exxam /AKC, MGE, etc . I use a own a sierra which i sold off recently. I have done numerous offroading near my place in visakhapatnam which has got very challenging trails. Since no one here in vizag share such enthu about offroading, i use to go alone with a close friend and have got stuck number of times in number of terrains like, slush, sand etc. Have paid hugh amounts to locals to get me out. I am aware that sierra is an 2 wheel drive but i took everywhere my heart said it would go. Most of the time the car took the hit too. lost PS belt sometimes, radiator leak, tire ripped off etc. I don`t post much on Tbhp but you can usually find me viewing 4x4 section. When i see you guys do what you do best in EXAMM ?AKC and other weekend trails with people having similar enthusiasm, i ask GOD why am i deprived of such pleasure. I can`t enter MGE since i don`t own a M&M. Plus most of the offroading happening is western and northern side of india. Moreover i don`t own a 4x4. I wish to built a JEEP someday and join you guys for all the fun. I have kept a target for myself that I have to be a part of EXAMM next year. I hope i am able to join. All that i know about Jeeps and cars in general is because of this wonderful forum and people like you to guide us. Anyways, a lot about myself (i dunno how it all poured out)now lets get back to this thread.

Sir, As i said i have been closely following offroading events posted on our forum, i see snorkel not being tested in any of the trails. What i mean is how effective is it in the real application? Is extending and sealing your air intake and making extended exhaust makes sure you can get deeper in the water ? Can people here share their knowledge or photos of how effective is one`s snorkel. Is their anyway we test it before doing such modification to our JEEPS?

P.S.: I see on the EXAMM website that you need reference to participate. Since, i don`t know anyone personally, i am going to get in touch with you guys.

Last edited by Abbas : 25th July 2010 at 13:50. Reason: added text
Old 25th July 2010, 13:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Say I decided to give my rear two tyres a bit more traction to get out of a small pit that I have created out of struggling to wriggle out, I just pour bottle of water right in the deepest point of where the tyre is caught up and try to exit at a crawling place...

Maybe it is used at that point to clean the tyre sipes of the mud. Else I'm not sure how it will improve traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Can people here share their knowledge or photos of how effective is one`s snorkel. Is their anyway we test it before doing such modification to our JEEPS?
A simple test to test its effectiveness after fitting the snorkel is to cover the snorkel intake with a plastic cover and tie it. IFF the snorkel has been designed to do the job, the engine should STALL in a few seconds.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:21   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I remember reading somewhere (some Australian website if Im not wrong) some time back that if the tyres are losing traction despite of optimum deflation etc one can use water to create more solid ground to gain that little bit additional traction. Say I decided to give my rear two tyres a bit more traction to get out of a small pit that I have created out of struggling to wriggle out, I just pour bottle of water right in the deepest point of where the tyre is caught up and try to exit at a crawling place...

I am guessing that the water does not create more solid ground but instead, a little water initially lets the wheels at first spin free and gain greater rpm and then dig past the water into more tractable earth. The water allows greater initial rpm if used judiciously.

A Branded French champagne with between 12 and 34 percent Pinot Meunier grape ratio works much better than water, if used at the prescribed temperature of 8 degrees, shaken not stirred.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 27th July 2010 at 16:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks