Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 21:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...Secondly, a chassis swap is not a difficult thing at all. You know the kind of people I know.

I m waiting for Spike to reply.
Chassis swap?

Man! You do want to catch M&M by their ... goatee, eh!

I am sure we have many people watching this thread. The outcome is sure to be interesting.

Mr.Spike - your floor.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Secondly, a chassis swap is not a difficult thing at all. You know the kind of people I know.
@devnath: I don't intend to put down your friends, but chasis swap, chasis, shortening, lengthening etc can be done easily. Converting IFS set up with coil spring to a 4WD Torsion bar set up cannot be done safely outside the factory. I feel you are underestimating the work involved. Please find a 4WD scorpio and look the changes required. You will not be able to do this safely in private workshop. It can be done, but not safely, correctly and reliably. You will be putting yourself and other in your vehicle at risk by doing this after market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Spike, I have a 2006 XD3P Slx Bolero. Could you please let me know if it makes sense to plonk the Thar's 4x4 on my Bolero.
Cheers,
rajesh
@rajesh: If your Bolero has IFS, the same reply as above applies to your idea as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dear Spike,
Whats your thought of MM550/MM540 body on scorpio non crde 4wd conversion (2005 model , chain drive).
vehicle is available for 4Lacx.
Body can be sold for 1Lacx.
MM 550 body Top condition 0.5Lacx
Total 3.5Lacx with AC.
Whats uer thoughts...
Rajith
@Rajith. This is definitely doable and I am toying with the same but on a 4WD Safari Chasis. You will have to either extend the MM540 body like Beboy has done or shorten the Scorpio Chasis as the wheelbase is different for both vehicles. This way you actually get a comfortable 4x4 without the electronics of the CRDe engine.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:15   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@devnath: I don't intend to put down your friends, but chasis swap, chasis, shortening, lengthening etc can be done easily. Converting IFS set up with coil spring to a 4WD Torsion bar set up cannot be done safely outside the factory. I feel you are underestimating the work involved. Please find a 4WD scorpio and look the changes required. You will not be able to do this safely in private workshop. It can be done, but not safely, correctly and reliably. You will be putting yourself and other in your vehicle at risk by doing this after market.
Sorry if I was not clear. Let me reiterate.

I am looking to swap the chassis precisely because I know that welding aftermarket or even at a competent garage is not advisable. Once I have the Scorpio 4wd chassis, I intend to put the torsion bar suspension as well since it will have the mounts already fabricated for it along with the transfer case, the front differential etc.

Had I been looking for local/aftermarket welding, I would have modified my existing chassis. The final list of components is as under:

1. New Scorpio 4wd chassis.
2. New Front suspension(Torsion Bar type).
3. New transfer case.
5. New Front differential.
6. Other items associated with it.

Hope this is clear.

OT: By the way, the name is not devNath but DevDath.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Spike,
Whats your thought of MM550/MM540 body on scorpio non crde 4wd conversion (2005 model , chain drive).
vehicle is available for 4Lacx.
Body can be sold for 1Lacx.
MM 550 body Top condition 0.5Lacx
Total 3.5Lacx with AC.
Whats uer thoughts...
Rajith
Not recommended, cutting and pasting of chassis, that too for a IFS vehicle is something I do not endorse. Spike PS- Multiquote not working due to some reason, cannot reply to all queries now, will do that once its working fine.
Old 14th December 2010, 00:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if I was not clear. Let me reiterate.

I am looking to swap the chassis precisely because I know that welding aftermarket or even at a competent garage is not advisable.

3. New transfer case.

Hope this is clear.

OT: By the way, the name is not devNath but DevDath.
@DevDath: Sorry it is clear to me now. This is possible and doable as the main body mounts should be the same for 2WD & 4WD Scorpio. However, the price of what you have listed above will run over 2 Lakhs at the dealer. Secondly sourcing 4x4 parts from Mahindra are very difficult as they sell only handfull of 4WD Scorpios. Given that Scorpio's hold up their value quite well, I feel that the depreciation hit on your Scorpio will be less than the cost of parts and Labor for the required swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Not recommended, cutting and pasting of chassis, that too for a IFS vehicle is something I do not endorse. Spike
@spike: For Ranjith's plan he needs to only cut and shorten the chasis in the center flat portion and not change any suspension related mounts. This can be done at a competent shop.
Old 14th December 2010, 07:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Spike, I have a 2006 XD3P Slx Bolero. Could you please let me know if it makes sense to plonk the Thar's 4x4 on my Bolero.

Cheers,
rajesh
Engine compartment is compatible, only thing which matters is the front suspension setup. Even with Solid axle up front you can install the engine but with critical clearances.

Quote:
Oh yes, and I forgot to add that I m interested in the manual shift lever powered transfer case rather than the electronic one and that is not being offered with the new Scorpio too AFAIK.
Can be done with changes in front floor pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Even if Spike gives you all the way it has to be done, with part number and assembly instructions you will fall short of the right man power and tools.
Rightly said, couldn't have said anything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
This thread is getting more and more interesting. Is it possible to plonk a Scorpio Di( pre 2005) engine on a DI Bolero without much modifications to the gear box set up?
Possible.

Quote:
The final list of components is as under:

3. New transfer case.
The above components (new) will itself cost you a bomb. Have you estimated the costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@spike: For Ranjith's plan he needs to only cut and shorten the chasis in the center flat portion and not change any suspension related mounts. This can be done at a competent shop.
I know what he is talking, my point here is suppose he cuts the chassis at the center for reducing the wheelbase, will the chassis splay (of front and rear due to the long members) match? Again, insert pieces and weld at a very critical point. There will be many other changes too!

Spike
Old 14th December 2010, 15:05   #22
BANNED

Quote:

The above components (new) will itself cost you a bomb. Have you estimated the costs?
I will, once you tell me that it is possible and we draw up a final list of components for the same.

Waiting for your reply.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:05   #23
BHPian

Bhai,

Appreciate your response. I just want to fix the 4x4 setup from Thar on my Bolero. I do not intend to swap the engine. Can this be done ? If yes, could you please let me know the cost and risk involved ? Would you recommend any Mechs here in Bangalore ?

PS: I got this idea by sensing that Thar and Bolero have IFS.

Quote:
Engine compartment is compatible, only thing which matters is the front suspension setup. Even with Solid axle up front you can install the engine but with critical clearances.
Spike

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 14th December 2010, 16:39   #24
BANNED

Quote:

Rightly said, couldn't have said anything better.

Possible.

I know what he is talking, my point here is suppose he cuts the chassis at the center for reducing the wheelbase, will the chassis splay (of front and rear due to the long members) match? Again, insert pieces and weld at a very critical point. There will be many other changes too!

Spike
hi Spike/4x4 addict,
Whats the lenght difference between a scorpio chasis and a Thar chasis,
I am planning to extend the MM550 body with a 2005 scorpio 4wd..
Advice uer thoughts,
Old 14th December 2010, 21:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will, once you tell me that it is possible and we draw up a final list of components for the same.
I never said, this is not possible. Only thing is, I don't endorse it.

Quote:

Appreciate your response. I just want to fix the 4x4 setup from Thar on my Bolero. I do not intend to swap the engine. Can this be done ? If yes, could you please let me know the cost and risk involved ? Would you recommend any Mechs here in Bangalore ?
Rajesh, I guess you have a Bolero SLX, front suspension geometry is different for Thar and Bolero SLX, so swapping suspension is not so easy, risks are huge coz it involves lot of precision welding on the chassis.

Quote:
hi Spike/4x4 addict,
Advice uer thoughts,
Scorpio WB- 2680 mm, Thar- 2430 mm, 250 mm difference.

Spike
Old 14th December 2010, 21:24   #26
BHPian

Spike, no other options to convert my Bolero to 4wd ?

Quote:
Rajesh, I guess you have a Bolero SLX, front suspension geometry is different for Thar and Bolero SLX, so swapping suspension is not so easy, risks are huge coz it involves lot of precision welding on the chassis.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Get a Bolero LX SWB with MDI TC, Solid axle upfront, FFRA. The best 4wd Bolero as of now.

Spike
Old 14th December 2010, 23:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi Spike/4x4 addict,
Advice uer thoughts,
@Ranjith: A member on our forum jyoeb has extended the MM540 body to fit a Bolero 4WD Chasis. It actually looks very good. Check out his thread for details.

Quote:
Spike, no other options to convert my Bolero to 4wd ?
Guess, you haven't been reading the responses to your original query..
Old 14th December 2010, 23:33   #29
BANNED

Quote:
I never said, this is not possible. Only thing is, I don't endorse it.
Thanks Spike,
So, can you pl tell me the list of components that need to be sourced so that I can begin to inquire about their prices and other commercial details to begin with.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:15   #30
BANNED

Spike,
Still waiting for your reply.

Other gurus too can pitch in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks