Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 10:12   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
He left the Vehicle at the dealership the next morning for ac fitting. Cost quoted was 27k which he did not negotiate at all. And after the ac was fitted (same evening) the executive very casually tells us that they outsource all the ac fitment to local ac mechanic outside the dealership, in his case, it was ,Binda AC', in sector 28.
So, does the warranty stand considering it was done outside the dealership? Is Binda AC approved by M&M for fitting AC on Thar?
Old 27th May 2011, 10:33   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - It pains me to see all sorts of "altu faltu" AC being fitted on Thar CRDe vehicles. I request you to please refrain from getting such units fitted on your vehicles. I request you to once again read through my posts in this thread where I have explained things and also posted a photograph of a representative Thar CRDe AC vehicle.

I am giving herewith, some clarifications, which will benefit all Thar CRDe vehicle users who want to fit an AC.

First of all, the aggregates involved in equipping an AC in the Thar CRDe vehicle are all derived out of our Scorpio / Bolero range of vehicles. The representative Bolero models are the SLE / VLX. The representative Scorpio model is the LX with the 2.6 NEF CRDe engine (not the mHawk). Also, as I have explained in the main Thar thread, we have made the Thar CRDe vehicle canopy in such a way that it will allow the AC aggregates to operate and deliver satisfactory cooling performance. In order to meet the need of vehicles already in the market, we have worked in this area and formed a kit which consists of 30 parts. Details are as follows:

1 --- 19 parts are standard parts, picked and used from our Bolero / Scorpio vehicles without any change whatsoever. For example, the compressor assembly is one such part.
2 --- 4 parts are standard fasteners, picked and used from our Bolero / Scorpio vehicles. For example, the compressor mounting bolt is one such part.
3 --- 7 parts are new parts, necessary to match the characteristic shape of the Thar front end, which is different from Bolero / Scorpio vehicles' front end. These are the condenser assembly (1), derived out of the Bolero VLX condenser but with changes to mounting points, fan orientation and plumbing of pipes, the radiator guard assembly (1), equipped with brackets to mount the condenser and to mount the existing intercooler in a slightly forward / lowered position, the intercooler hoses (2), whose shape changes to match the new intercooler position wih respect to the corresponding aggregates from the turbo and to the intake manifold, the AC pipes from and to the condenser (2), whose orientation is needed to suit the new condenser mounting points and the wiring harness (1), which incorporates relays for the compressor, the condenser fans etc.

We also have in place, an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure), which needs to be referred to, in order to carry out the AC fitment properly. The standard operating time to complete this activity on a representative vehicle is 2 full days which includes road testing, cleaning and delivery to the customer. As this activity is getting percolated down to dealer level at this point in time, I would request you to contact the respective dealers in your locations for further steps in this regard. You may show this communication to them if needed.

For any further help that you may require, please PM me. Alternatively, you can call me directly on 09552545675 / 09820709513.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 27th May 2011 at 10:35.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 10:57   #48
BHPian

BD sir
the hard top issue again- its also for security purposes
cant we not have the HT as seen in the european thar
is it out sourced locally in europe?
will M&M customization to do it for us
regards
amar
Attached Images

maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 14:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
BD sir
the hard top issue again- its also for security purposes
cant we not have the HT as seen in the european thar
is it out sourced locally in europe?
will M&M customization to do it for us
regards
amar
Dr. Amar,

A little patience. Soon you will be able to pick up a FRP top in Hyderabad, like 3 panel on the Rubicon, with a full glass rear lift.
Thats all for now.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:40   #50
BHPian

What a predicament , I seriously wish I never liked Jeeps .

BD saab any chance of getting a factory fitted AC anytime soon ?

Your efforts are to be appreciated , but what about the customer who has to endure this much of pain to get an Ac done ,one of my friend who bought the Thar has used it a couple of times in last 3 months ( summer in Kerala )...

In the early days it was a headache to drive the old Ambys in traffic with the AC, the car used to overheat
and after decades here it is happening ( by hook or by crook ) again on the mighty Thar .
In eternal anticipation of the FF Ac Thar .

Fazalbahi nice to know about the Frp top .

Last edited by slalom : 27th May 2011 at 18:00. Reason: to add something more
Old 27th May 2011, 18:55   #51
BHPian

fazal bhai
point taken, waiting to see the day, that will be the Thar in its full fledged form. There's a lot of M&M bashing going on but then how many Thars will they sell as opposed to say boleros or scorps?
The bottom line is in the numbers
regards
amar
Old 28th May 2011, 03:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am sorry to hear what happened to your friend. This shouldn't happen to someone who has just spend 7 Lakhs OTR for a "Life Style" vehicle.
This is exactly what I feel. The thing is that you already have a basic That DI for the price conscious consumer who is looking for a bare minimum Jeep. What Mahindra is failing to understand is that Thar Crde customer is putting his 7 lacs just for 'Lifestyle'. So another few thousand for an AC and a Heater is NOT an issue.

even in this case of a friend, he already has a brand new Fortuner (bought few days ago) and few other cars. And same is the case, with other 4-5 Thars owners in our group. Thar is not the first car. And India is not as big as it used to be. Now you have so many people driving upto Ladakh even from deep South. So you just cannot assume that this bloke in Mumbai or Timbaktoo will never need a heater in life.

A laycustomer will buy a 4X2 bolero or a Scorpio which actually makes a hell lot of sense than a Thar.

If someone has time and a lot of technical know-how regarding motorcars and their ac's, he will always restore a MM550 or a CJ3b and be a rockstar.

A Thar Crde buyer is a different breed. A thar buyer just wants have fun from the day one. And he is willing to pay for the basic options like ac/heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So, does the warranty stand considering it was done outside the dealership? Is Binda AC approved by M&M for fitting AC on Thar?
I guess we do have the dealerships verbal assurance. That's it. And 'Binda Ac' is owned by Mr. Binda. He just has a small booth in Sector 28 motor market. I would be surprised if he approved by M&M. And since you have brought up this topic, my friend was at his wits ends for few minutes when he found out that his vehicle was not at the dealership. First the executive told a lie that the Jeep has been sent to their Zirakpur outlet for ac fitting. But he knew that 'Swami' does not have repair facility at their Zirakpur facility. It is only when he raised hue and cry that the executive had to tell him that his vecle was sent to "binda ac'. And he also check the register at the gate. There was no entry in the register of his Thar having left the dealer's premises. And when he asked the manager why there is no record of hid vehicle leaving the dealership. And he could not beieve his ears when the manager replied that his (the manager's) own vehicle also goes in and out of the dealership, without any entry in the register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - It pains me to see all sorts of "altu faltu" AC being fitted on Thar CRDe vehicles.

For any further help that you may require, please PM me. Alternatively, you can call me directly on 09552545675 / 09820709513.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I don't know if there is anything that can be done in the case of my friend's Thar now since the ac is already fitted. BTW, he has fitted a plywood roof at the rear. And also put additional curtain in the rear virtually sealing it. But I may certainly require your help as another new Thar in our group need to be air conditioned.

One more thing is that he has put 31-10.5 MT tyres for offroading. And he was asking me where to get the vehicle lift done. Since the last intraction with 'Swami Automobiles', we are skeptical about the whole idea of getting the lift done from them.

Any ideas sir, how we can go about this. We are thinking of testing the car this Sunday to see if the tyres touch the body on an offroading track. He has already extended the front bumper a bit to avoid front tyres touching them.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 28th May 2011 at 03:53.
Old 28th May 2011, 05:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:

We also have in place, an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure),
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,

Regarding SOP, I think there must be an existing SOP regarding entry and exit of customer vehicles for service/repairs. If a dealer cares a hoot about such basic SOP's, I wonder what they do to elaborate SOP's reg. an 'ac fitting' in a vehicle which they don't even focus in the first place.

Also, private ac fitters are mostly ac repair guys. New ac fitment are pretty rare as most of the cars come with ac as standard fitment. And even the dealers have done away with their senior ac mechanics who can actually understand SOP on an ac and follow it. I mean why would a dealer have a senior mechanic just for Thar. A dealer would rarely get an order to fit an ac now-a-days.

Also, when buying the Thar, the dealer gave us the condition that we have to get the insurance from him only whereas our regular insurance guy was willing to come to the dealership to give us insurance before we leave the dealer premises.

But, since the vehicle was in stock with this dealer only, we had no choice. We checked with Goel Motors. They did not have Thar in stock. So this dealer also knew that we will have to buy insurance (at hugely inflated premium) from the dealership knowing that we could have actually saved 4k by getting it from a different agent. And I am talking about the same cashless insurance which both were offering by national GIC cos. Not even a difference of private vs govt. company.

We had to take the insurance 'cause we had no choice. Is they any way you can do anything about this!

And this trend is prevalent everywhere in our country. Not just at one particular dealership but even at every other place. We are forced to make compromises everyday to avoid going insane. Maybe this 'chalta hai' attitude is ingrained in our national psyche. From a Neta to parking wala, everyone tries to make an extra buck in case they can. Needless to say, most of the times, it is illegal. How much can you fight against such a thing?
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-254195_10150261147889923_651414922_9060469_2375065_n.jpg
No amount of SOP's / norms / laws work here. Work should be perfect in the first place itself, i.e. when the vehicle is being manufactured.

PS: I am not attempting to bash any co here. This post is just to save customers from harassment. And I have high regard for people like Mr. Dhabar who make automobiles and motoring as lifelong passion.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 28th May 2011 at 06:08.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

I would say a little bit of patience will work wonders for Thar lovers. MM clearly seems to be working on the solutions. Just lets give them sometime to get their act together.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 03:59   #55
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
We also have in place, an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure), which needs to be referred to, in order to carry out the AC fitment properly. The standard operating time to complete this activity on a representative vehicle is 2 full days which includes road testing, cleaning and delivery to the customer. As this activity is getting percolated down to dealer level at this point in time, I would request you to contact the respective dealers in your locations for further steps in this regard. You may show this communication to them if needed.

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr. Dhabhar,

Please can the full SOP be published as a download. The dealer Jai Durga in Najafgarh road in Delhi have modified a Thar using a Sanden Compressor, with a fan mounted outside the Rdiator Grill. A full SOP will enable owners understand the full procedure. Some of your dealers are pretty ignorant and overworked at the same time.

Is a kit available or are the special items available from a dealer as yet.

I take this oppurtunity to congratulate you on a good development and with refinements (considering the work already done and the super capability / handling) M&M have a vehicle with global prospects at a superprice. Needs work though.

I am abroad and will call you on my return to India. Sorry cannot PM you as I do not have that staus as yet.

Thanks

nnn

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th May 2011 at 09:48. Reason: corrected the dealer name
Old 29th May 2011, 16:18   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Please can the full SOP be published as a download. A full SOP will enable owners understand the full procedure. Some of your dealers are pretty ignorant and overworked at the same time. Is a kit available or are the special items available from a dealer as yet.

I take this oppurtunity to congratulate you on a good development and with refinements (considering the work already done and the super capability / handling) M&M have a vehicle with global prospects at a superprice.

I am abroad and will call you on my return to India. Sorry cannot PM you as I do not have that staus as yet. Thanks nnn
Dear nnn - thank you for your communication and also your recognition of some good work done by us, which makes us feel nice. . This vehicle certainly has global prospects. We are selling it in Europe / South Africa.

Yes, the kit is very much available. The dealer concerned has to procure it and fit it for which he has to refer to the SOP which gives the complete process. You will appreciate that the SOP itself remains a classified document and it would not be correct to share it on an open forum. Although you do not have access to PM me, you can always call me directly on my mobile numbers which I have given in my post above.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:48   #57
vak
BHPian

Dear All,

I have seen a few Thars fitted with a/c at TVS motors, the Mahindra dealer at Cochin. Though the fitment at TVS will cost around Rs80,000/-. The quality and execution is like the factory OE fitment, except for the relocation of the intercooler.

I have my self fitted a/c in my new Bolero Di 4wd, which cost me Rs68,000/ I am really satisfied with the fitment. The guys at TVS cochin, has done a great job.

I am posting a picture of a Thar which had an a/c fitment at TVS, you can see that the intercooler has been relocated to the front of the grill and a new enclosure has been made.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-thar.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2011, 11:36   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
I am posting a picture of a Thar which had an a/c fitment at TVS, you can see that the intercooler has been relocated to the front of the grill and a new enclosure has been made.
HOLY MACKEREL!!!

Is that even a good design?

I think that's taking it too far. Fitting an AC cant be that big a mountain to climb.

That fitment seems so out of sync. I wonder how a Mahindra dealer as reputed as that come out with something like that. It somehow does not look right.

Unless Mahindra has authenticated that. Then its back to scratching my head.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Is moving that intercooler to that new location as per the SOP given? I do not think so.

And it is looking very likely to get damaged. Not much protection around it. As far as I remember most of the intercoolers are hidden well inside the bonnet.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thats a dealer way to make a quick buck IMO!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks