Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 05:13   #91
BANNED

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Hope all of you still waiting for the SOP realize that the procedure listed is for conversion from Heater to a bare bones, no thermostat, ON/OFF A/C only. One of those rare SOPs that have more than one way to do something, by the way.

Since the people at the still fermenting, yet to be Risen M&M have not used the heater feature in their vehicles for a while, have come to the conclusion that India is only Hot or Hotter. But if you are not planning to buy a bucket of that bull excrement, and live in the real world where you might need both heater and A/C, what choice are you left with?

You are left with either M&M jugaad method, or the dealer jugaad method. And I guess most people are choosing to go with the dealer jugaad method because they can probably understand it better. This SOP is more about bamboozling people with technical jargon rather than clear cut procedure. How many dealerships adjust the fan belt with a tuning fork, anyways?

M&M have had only 3-4 years to work on this vehicle, which is probably more time than ISRO gets for a launch, but have yet to figure out all the basics required for a passenger vehicle. And as have been stated clearly by M&M employee members, there will NOT be a V2, so please stop expecting anything more. This is as good as it gets.

I hope some of our more learned, less naive members have realized that without some redesign/reengineering of the engine bay, a proper a/c installation in Thar will be difficult. But does not look like M&M wants to do any work on the body other than attach mounting points with the perennial excuse of cost control. Maybe that would have pushed the price of Thar to 8.x lakhs, using M&M method of costing and fleecing.

So guys with the Thar, enjoy the monsoons, should give you some relief from the smoking hot Thar. Dont expect the A/C to do it
gthang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 22:40   #92
nnn
BHPian

Dear All,

There is far too much M&M bashing going on. I totally disagree.

It is obvious from the threads on the Thar that the team behind the Thar have proposed the project to the management as enthusiasts, they have executed it as a low cost project, the volumes on this vehicle will not justify huge investments. They have under the circumstances done a great job to have lived their dream.

Let’s us not badger the team. Let’s support them to continue production of this vehicle. M&M are probably loosing money in the process. There will never be another similar product if we childishly hype this vehicle out of the market by moaning and groaning.

The Thar at 6.5 lacs (Delhi) is a much better bet than the Mayapuri Jeep at ½ the price. Try the Mayapuri Jeep for reliability. You will have the same A/C problems on fitting with unresolved engine overheating and loads more problems on the Jeep. The Mayapuri Jeep will never be as comfortable.

M&M will never recover the development cost on this vehicle unless the Army buys a large lot of Thar's.

I own a Gypsy 413 and a Thar. The Gypsy is no comparison. The Gypsy is simply outdated. The Thar drives like a dream in comparision. Similar A/C problems exist on the Gypsy.

I just sold my Ford Endevour 4x4 to buy the Thar as the ABS brakes used to fail (yes fail) when the vehicle went over a bump. The engine belched black smoke from Day 1. Ford never got the problems fixed in 60,000 Kms and the vehicle depreciated by Rs. 10 lacs in 5 years.

Hence guys please take a more realistic view. Support the team. Go and TD a Thar if you have not driven one. Fit an A/C as suggested by Mr. Dhabhar. I agree with him that the SOP briefly described by him is enough to check the dealer.

This is not to say that M&M cannot improve but ....... so it is for now and practice makes perfect. Give them a chance. Lets not use our freedom of speech and democracy to forget the merits. Words come for free - good or bad.

I am sure the M&M team will intervene if individual problems come along.

By the way has anyone driven a Thar MDI 4x4 ? Any reports on the vehicle. I would replace my Gypsy with the MDI 4x4 Thar if it is available as yet.

Good Luck

nnn
Old 9th June 2011, 23:08   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

(I have posted below paragraph in the Thar main thread. I am copying and pasting the same paragraph here also, for your ready reference).

Dear all - guys, as we progress in life, we need to make conscious decisions and act on them. I am delighted to inform you that within the next few days, I will be moving into my new and extremely interesting / challenging job role in a very major automobile manufacturing company in India. I will be working with new colleagues on new and different / exciting products (WOW!).

In view of the above, I have parted ways with Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd, a company that has given me much more than what a person can ever desire. M&M shall always remain a very respected / revered orgainzation in my heart. I am fortunate to have worked for a company like M&M and I would sioncerely like to thank all my colleagues in M&M who helped me to make Thar CRDe a reality on the roads in India / South Africa / Europe.

Thar CRDe - well, that's our baby for you. I would like to sincerely thank the Thar CRDe core team consisting of APS Rao / Pratheesh Raveendran (who you all know as "Spike Arrestor") / Indranil Paul / Padmesh Sewda / Amol Wagh / Vijay Waghmare / Kapil Dubey / Yogesh Sonawane / Vinod Nookala / Gautam Naik and Rochak Bali. You guys are the best. We all dared to dream and now this dream has become a reality. Thank you guys / All the best - THAR!

Please accept my best personal regards

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Dear nnn - thank you for your comments, yes, we have lived our dream for which 100% credit goes to the company / all colleagues who worked together to make it happen. All the best.
Old 9th June 2011, 23:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

^^^OH MY GOD!! Why? What happened?

What happens to Thar now?
You were the guiding light. With you gone who will be making sure that this product matures into an awesome machine. Already people have been chasing Thar with daggers drawn. Hope the product itself does not get canned.
Old 10th June 2011, 00:03   #95
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
(I have posted below paragraph in the Thar main thread. I am copying and pasting the same paragraph here also, for your ready reference).

PS - Dear nnn - thank you for your comments, yes, we have lived our dream for which 100% credit goes to the company / all colleagues who worked together to make it happen. All the best.
Dear Behram.

Love your spirit.

Hope you will keep contributing to this forum in the future.

Good Luck in your new assignment.

Regards

nnn

Neeraj

Neeraj
Old 10th June 2011, 00:48   #96
nnn
BHPian

All,

Please see my earlier post of today just before Behram announced his future move.

Lets get positive and support the team comprising persons Behram has named. With Behram leaving they carry the burden and with our encouragement they will deliver.

Imagine them as an enthuastic lot working under adverse circumstances (Dealers / resources allocated to this project / volumes / their other commitments to M&M).

Thank you M&M team for your daring.

My friends, No more M&M bashing on the Thar PLEASE. Only encouragement and positive support. Think twice before you write adversly. Let our ego satisfaction to get our views in print not dominate our writing on this model.

Let a legend created survive. Harley Davidson could not have become the legend which survives if the yanks all wrote about the bike as we do of the Thar.

nnn
Old 10th June 2011, 07:46   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
All,

Please see my earlier post of today just before Behram announced his future move.

Lets get positive and support the team comprising persons Behram has named. With Behram leaving they carry the burden and with our encouragement they will deliver.

Imagine them as an enthuastic lot working under adverse circumstances (Dealers / resources allocated to this project / volumes / their other commitments to M&M).

Thank you M&M team for your daring.

My friends, No more M&M bashing on the Thar PLEASE. Only encouragement and positive support. Think twice before you write adversly. Let our ego satisfaction to get our views in print not dominate our writing on this model.

Let a legend created survive. Harley Davidson could not have become the legend which survives if the yanks all wrote about the bike as we do of the Thar.

nnn

Are you working with mahindra marketing team ? or looking for some discount on service/help from Mahindra ? 95% of team bhp jeepers never bashed thar. Just asked for a FF AC and better quality plastic,Better build quality its our right as a costumer . All this bashing is on Mahindra not to any person like DB Sir Spike or Vinod (I respect them ).

- Sreejesh

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 10th June 2011 at 07:48.
Old 10th June 2011, 08:19   #98
BANNED

^^^ @nnn,

This is an A/C fitting technical thread. It would be off topic to reply here. Please see here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/94711-mahindra-thar-test-drive-review-116.html#post2385736
Old 10th June 2011, 10:07   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Thar CRDe - well, that's our baby for you. We all dared to dream and now this dream has become a reality. Thank you guys / All the best - THAR!
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - All the very best for your next role.

This is the AC thread right - so I keep visiting this thread multiple times in a day to see just one more example of the dealer fitted AC in the right way. I am still waiting.

Is it even a remote possibility that - before you leave M&M - close this AC loop out. I mean the best way would be have a "AC fitting Camps" over a few days in each of the cities that you have launched the Thar.

All you need to do is get over 50 to 100 Kits to each city and fit the AC for the customers who want it and willing to pay. You can yourself come over to supervise this. It will be a great opportunity to meet people who have paid their hard earned money to believe in your dream.

Once done as a one time exercise - the dealers can then take this forward - they will have the experience to do this right.

I have been pushing the delivery of my Thar for a long time now - only for this AC thing. All I have seen until now is AC fitment done the wrong way even by well know dealers. I should actually thank the M&M dealer in Blr who said that they have no idea until now about the Kit and they won't fit an AC. At least they are honest.

Vinod / Spike - do consider this AC camp thing . It should just take 2 days in each city for all those who want an AC fitted in their Thar - the right way.

As the Germans say "Kaum man macht es richtig, schon gehts" which translates to roughly - Only when you do it right, it works!!

Please do this as a parting gift to all the Thar owners (existing and future ones)

Cheers
Carrot
carrot_eater is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 18:48   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - is it even a remote possibility that - before you leave M&M - close this AC loop out. I mean the best way would be have a "AC fitting Camps" over a few days in each of the cities that you have launched the Thar. All you need to do is get over 50 to 100 Kits to each city and fit the AC for the customers who want it and willing to pay. You can yourself come over to supervise this. It will be a great opportunity to meet people who have paid their hard earned money to believe in your dream.

As the Germans say "Kaum man macht es richtig, schon gehts" which translates to roughly - Only when you do it right, it works!! Please do this as a parting gift to all the Thar owners (existing and future ones) Cheers Carrot
Dear Carrot Esater and all - I really wish I could fulfil to your request as it would be my pleasure to meet you all. However, I am not an employee of M&M any more, therefore this would not be possible. Obviously, there are people in M&M better qualified and knowledgeable than me to conduct this activity. I am sure that someone from M&M will conduct this activity. As I have put all processes in place to close the AC loop ASAP, I can see this happening shortly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th June 2011, 23:27   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Carrot Esater and all - I really wish I could fulfil to your request as it would be my pleasure to meet you all. However, I am not an employee of M&M any more, therefore this would not be possible. Obviously, there are people in M&M better qualified and knowledgeable than me to conduct this activity. I am sure that someone from M&M will conduct this activity. As I have put all processes in place to close the AC loop ASAP, I can see this happening shortly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,

All the best for your new job. My heartiest best wishes to you. And may be you can heave a sigh of relief and shirk all this Thar bashing away from you.

We went offroading few days back in new Thar fitted with 31" MT tyres. And Thar behaved pretty nicely. Let me congratulate foe you for creating a very nice platform. Since I am a die hard Gypsy fan, I can say that Thar is really a very competitive platform to build and offroader. Although leaving out ac/heater is pretty lame on Mahindra's part, I wish you had stayed on this project a bit more so that we could see ac and heater sooner than expected and also both these things available as per your high standards.

And I guess you already know it that Thar is such an awesome platform, and that is why we were all after you so that we could have some improvements at factory level only. And that is why we were all after your ***.

And BTW, if you are going to be involved in 4x4 vehicle development, pl drop a hint. It will make all of us a bit happier, as we can be sure of yet another dose of nice offroad vehicles.

And lastly, will you be able to help us with Thar queries or we will have to use our own ingenuity? I have been trying to get in touch with you regarding 'lifting' the Thar so that those 31" tyre don't mess with the body.

Vinod, Pratheesh, anybody listening?

Last edited by wanderhermit : 10th June 2011 at 23:28.
Old 11th June 2011, 00:18   #102
A M
BHPian

Hi Behram sir,
Wish you the best for your new venture. And many thanks for giving us this awesome jeep.

I was wondering, what happened to the "Thar Adventure" model? No news about it after the Thar launch ceremony. Neither any TD's. I think it had the lift kit and 31" tyres. Any leads on it please!! Will it be launched and what price etc etc.

Thanks.
Old 11th June 2011, 16:15   #103
vak
BHPian

Dear Bahram Sir,

Yesterday I saw one more Thar being fitted with a/c and the intercooler being relocated at MASS. The reason being given is that there is not enough space for the fitment of intercooler; after the fitment of condensor and the fan. So I personally Inspected the same; I can say that what they said is true.

The people who fitted the a/c are really competent people and are having real expertise.

The condensor, compressor, evaporator is the Bolero OE ones.

In the picture you uploaded it seems that there are two smaller condensor fans fitted, is it true? The picture is not clear. But the Bolero OE condensor comes with only one fan.

I am here by uploading pictures of the Thar on which a/c is being fitted. You can see the enclosure for the intercooler, though the grill is yet to be made.

Regards

Vinshad Aziz
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-snc00210.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-snc00209.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-snc00208.jpg  

Old 11th June 2011, 23:56   #104
BHPian

@vak

That white plastic bottle [3rd pic] will melt within no time - with the heat of the compressor
Old 14th June 2011, 18:01   #105
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear BD
I was asking you whether M&M had plans to come out with an OEM hard top and front facing seats?I sincerely hope its not classified information ? Fazal here in our neighbourhood is tinkering with the idea and more thar's will be sold once they come out with their hardtop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks