Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 18:12   #151
BHPian

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Finally this thread has resurrected back with activity on it, thanks to Vijay . Its a real good relief to hear someone did it in Bangalore. As i plan for the Thar, but still have sometime to go for that, as i'm planning for a 2012 and probably will book sometime in Nov '11.

Vijay - BTW, can you please let people like me on this thread who were waiting for this for a long time, know who the dealer is? and the dealer address please?

Thanks in advance
Raghu
Old 18th August 2011, 20:19   #152
BHPian

Hi,

Sireesh Auto - Yelahanka (Very good service) and speak to
Raghavan-9980549570 ,quote my name and he will give you a good deal.

Regards,

Vijay
vj_k2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:06   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Hi,
I got my A/C fitted through the dealer...70 K was the total cost with heater and a 1 year warranty.Yes it is twice the price but what you get is
Finally something I was waiting for. Surprisingly - today I had visited the India garage - and they still don't have a clue - saying they are still awaiting parts and SOP.

The price is steep though.

Please do keep us updated on the performance of the AC.
Old 24th August 2011, 00:04   #154
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
I got my A/C fitted through the dealer...70 K was the total cost with heater and a 1 year warranty.Yes it is twice the price but what you get is
Vijay
Vijay,

How is your Thar performing with the A/C fitted as specified by M&M.

What is the fuel consumption and at what temperature does the engine run in town and on the highway if you have taken it for a long drive.

nnn
Old 24th August 2011, 16:02   #155
BHPian

Guys,

Absolutely no qualms on the performance.....

I get 210 KMS for 22 litres with the A/C on in the city.Please bare in mind that I havent finished my first service...

The temperature is constant with or without the A/C.The needle stays just below the alphabet T of the temp. guage

Regards,

Vijay
Old 24th August 2011, 16:48   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Absolutely no qualms on the performance.....

I get 210 KMS for 22 litres with the A/C on in the city.Please bare in mind that I havent finished my first service...

The temperature is constant with or without the A/C.The needle stays just below the alphabet T of the temp. guage
Can you post a picture please? of the temp gauge.

BTW, 210/22 = 9.545 kilometers per litre Is that all the THAR CRDe gives. I expected atleast 13 to 15 kpl as it is lighter than the Bolero Storm.

The first service wont change the FE much. Not much change until the first 10000 kms IMO
Old 24th August 2011, 18:20   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Can you post a picture please? of the temp gauge.

BTW, 210/22 = 9.545 kilometers per litre Is that all the THAR CRDe gives. I expected atleast 13 to 15 kpl as it is lighter than the Bolero Storm.

The first service wont change the FE much. Not much change until the first 10000 kms IMO

@headers, In city runs my Thar used to give ~10 to 10.5 before A/C. After A/C it gives about the same as Vijay's. Around 9.5. I have done 10k and my Thar is going for it's second service. Not sure If I can expect any improvement.

Other Thar owners - Have you been able to measure FE during normal city runs? If so could you please share.

P.S - I am running 255 Yoko Geo AT. Not sure if that has any negative contribution to FE.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 18:27   #158
BHPian

Yes , i was also surprised when my thar gave only 11 kmpl. i was expecting it to be around 14 on highways at least. But then im not totally disappointed as everything is forgotten once behind the wheel.
I had contacted mysore india garage for AC installments , they said they ll get back to me in 2 days time and its 2 weeks now. i too had no time to contact them. Ac is a must , it ll be fun with all the dust on the face but it gets annoying with all the fog on the windscreen when it rains.
Old 24th August 2011, 20:39   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@headers, In city runs my Thar used to give ~10 to 10.5 before A/C. After A/C it gives about the same as Vijay's. Around 9.5. I have done 10k and my Thar is going for it's second service. Not sure If I can expect any improvement.

Other Thar owners - Have you been able to measure FE during normal city runs? If so could you please share.

P.S - I am running 255 Yoko Geo AT. Not sure if that has any negative contribution to FE.
Well guess its got to do with the FD of 4.3:1 I am a little disappointed with this news though!!

How does the THAR MDI perform on the FE front? - Sorry wrong question and wrong thread but nevertheless
Old 24th August 2011, 21:11   #160

I get about 11 to 11.3 kmpl in mine. Almost 70% of my daily route is like a highway run with quite less traffic. No A/c of course. Of course a wee bit disappointed at the FE but at least it seems to be in line with the others.
Myk.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:50   #161
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@headers, In city runs my Thar used to give ~10 to 10.5 before A/C. After A/C it gives about the same as Vijay's.
The FE I get is 11Km (over about 6000 Km) in town (Delhi) with the A/C. On a recent trip from Delhi to Phagwara and back (800 Km @ 90-95 Kmph) in one day, the FE was ~ 13 Km/Lt.

nnn
nnn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 23:10   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Quick Refrigeration in Delhi have done 5 Thar's. ...............
Hey nnn can u please post detailed pics of the engine bay on how your setup was done by Quick Refrigeration. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vijay - good comments in your ....................

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Spike
Hey vj Can u also please post pics of the AC fitment of the done by the ASC. Thanks in advance.

The reason i have also quoted behram and spike is because they being closely affiliated to the development of thar will be able to give their valuable opinion on the 2 successfully running setups.

Also the detailed pictures will give other and future thar owners how the AC setup should look like so that they are not fleeced by dealers claiming the setup to be SOP.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:03   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

1.A new grill which provides for the right height between the intercooler and the fans

2.Peace of mind for 1 year

3.0 drop in speed or any heating issues

Risks of getting it fitted outside

1.The obvious warranty

2. Any performance issue (engine,over-heating,wiring,noise,water consumption and the likes) can be conviniently attributed to the third party A/C by the dealer.

3.Peace of mind

I would advice external fitment only after completion of 1 year i.e post your warranty period.

Regards,

Vijay

Vijay

A quick question.
Your dealer-fitted Air-conditioner, does it incorporate idle-speed adjustment on the ECU?

Yesterday, I saw my friend's Thar who had an Air-conditioner installed at V-Cool (near Margaret Road) which had NO idle-speed adjustment.

But I understand that when he enquired with India Garage, he was told that a factory fitted air-conditioned Thar was being launched in end-October; and after that was that was launched, the same program codes could be used in his Thar for idle speed adjustment.

BTW, his Air-Conditioner installation cost just Rs. 25 K. (and his heater works too!!)

Regards,

Bopanna

Last edited by cpbopanna : 28th August 2011 at 09:05. Reason: added: heater functioning
Old 28th August 2011, 09:08   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Yesterday, I saw my friend's Thar who had an Air-conditioner installed at V-Cool (near Margaret Road) which had NO idle-speed adjustment.

BTW, his Air-Conditioner installation cost just Rs. 25 K. (and his heater works too!!)
Can you please ask your friend to post some pictures - and was it installed by moving the intercooler?.. I mean was it as per BD's SOP
Old 28th August 2011, 09:36   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Vijay

A quick question.
Your dealer-fitted Air-conditioner, does it incorporate idle-speed adjustment on the ECU?

But I understand that when he enquired with India Garage, he was told that a factory fitted air-conditioned Thar was being launched in end-October; and after that was that was launched, the same program codes could be used in his Thar for idle speed adjustment.

Regards,

Bopanna
Guys, IIRC the Mahindra SOP is not connected to the ECU. so don't expect idle adjustment. And having drive one without idle adjustment for quite some time, I find no need for it as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks