Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 09:16   #256
BANNED

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
01 March 2012 is right round the corner - Anybody has anymore information on the new AC kits for Thar ? Will they be available in the first week of March.

Carrot
Boss as on today we-cool has installed AC, to @ 22Thars.All running fine.Mine has done @ 7000kms as on today in all type of terrains & climate.Absolutely zero issues.Please dont waste your time by waiting for New AC kit from the plant.

Last edited by Rajith : 27th February 2012 at 09:17.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 11:18   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
Check the Annual Bangalore offroad event thread under the 4*4 section.I have seen a orange color Thar brought in by one Mr.Raveendra from Hyderabad, I guess to test the same. I had checked with him on the performance and it seemed to be going well with very minimal squeaks/issues with the tough terrains tested out on day1. You can get in touch with him to have more details on this regard. Seems to me to be a very professional job.
Hi Vivek,

Complete discussion of the same hard top can be found here, in case you hadn't noticed it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-top-thar.html
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 12:55   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Boss as on today we-cool has installed AC, to @ 22Thars.All running fine.Mine has done @ 7000kms as on today in all type of terrains & climate.Absolutely zero issues.Please dont waste your time by waiting for New AC kit from the plant.
@ carot_eater. I've done 14000 kms with aftermarket we-kool AC for Thar. no issues and @ half the price of the factory kit, would any day recommend it.

P.S - I am in no way associated with we-kool.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 15:24   #259
BHPian

Thanks to Swami(BlackRaven), Manas and Rajith for valuable inputs from them, i took the plunge and have fitted the A/C from We-cool. We-cool guys are really doing a good job and as Rajith indicated the they ahve done about 22 thars, mine is supposedly the 21st or the 22nd Thar that was done.

Its about 10 days now that i have fitted the AC and absolutely no issues.

@Ranjeet, i suggest it too.

Cheers
Raghu
raghu4222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 16:33   #260
BHPian

Its great to know the success of the AC fitments in Bangalore.
I am looking for an AC guy to do a similar set up on my thar in Mumbai. I asked a couple of places here but they spoke about shifting the turbo and some other modifications, dint sound too confident.
Anyone aware of someone like We-Cool who has done AC fitments on the thar in Mumbai, or even Pune would do. I dont mind driving till Pune to get a good job done.

Thanks,
Nitin
Old 1st March 2012, 21:58   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
We-cool guys are really doing a good job and as Rajith indicated the they ahve done about 22 thars, mine is supposedly the 21st or the 22nd Thar that was done.

Its about 10 days now that i have fitted the AC and absolutely no issues.

Cheers
Raghu
What did they charge you. How does the vent system to back pax work. Was there an option to route on b pillar or near hand brake. What would be effective for back pax.
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:42   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
I am looking for an AC guy to do a similar set up on my thar in Mumbai. I asked a couple of places here but they spoke about shifting the turbo and some other modifications, dint sound too confident. Nitin
Dear Nitin and all - PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY. This is what really gets me. .

I have mentioned at least a hundred times (if not more) that Thar is a Scorpio in disguise. Everything is clear in the first post on the first page of this thread. So, where does the question of shifting the turbo arise?

Scorpio NEF engine AC compressor (note this, write down if you want) system will fit Thar CRDe without changing anything, down to the last nut, bolt, plain washer and spring washer, IS IT CLEAR NOW?

This means that in the field out there, people are talking nonsense without understanding anything and God help customers who listen to such things. I dread to think what all must be going on. I sincerely appeal to you all, please stay away from such non-engineered solutions.

What more can I say? I can only hope for good sense to prevail. PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR CAR. IT IS YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:26   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Nitin and all - PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY. This is what really gets me. .

I have mentioned at least a hundred times (if not more) that Thar is a Scorpio in disguise. Everything is clear in the first post on the first page of this thread. So, where does the question of shifting the turbo arise?

Scorpio NEF engine AC compressor (note this, write down if you want) system will fit Thar CRDe without changing anything, down to the last nut, bolt, plain washer and spring washer, IS IT CLEAR NOW?

This means that in the field out there, people are talking nonsense without understanding anything and God help customers who listen to such things. I dread to think what all must be going on. I sincerely appeal to you all, please stay away from such non-engineered solutions.

What more can I say? I can only hope for good sense to prevail. PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR CAR. IT IS YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Mr Behram,
You have definitely provided a very detailed process of going about the AC work, that is why I din't want to get my work done from the local chaps here. I will surely be using your instructions as a reference, but I am not too much of an AC expert and if minor unwanted things are indeed done without my knowledge I might not notice it (apart from major modifications like shifting the turbo etc). Hence I wanted to know of a tried and tested guy here like We-Cool, whom I can trust to install a issue free AC set-up as done in the Bangalore thars.

But as you have mentioned I think I'll directly go and tell the AC guy - "Scorpio mein AC dalneka hai, kitna lega"
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:46   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mr Behram,
You have definitely provided a very detailed process of going about the AC work, that is why I din't want to get my work done from the local chaps here. I will surely be using your instructions as a reference, but I am not too much of an AC expert and if minor unwanted things are indeed done without my knowledge I might not notice it (apart from major modifications like shifting the turbo etc). Hence I wanted to know of a tried and tested guy here like We-Cool, whom I can trust to install a issue free AC set-up as done in the Bangalore thars.

But as you have mentioned I think I'll directly go and tell the AC guy - "Scorpio mein AC dalneka hai, kitna lega"

Did you check with Correa Car Cool guys? They have been installing AC on Mahindra Thar for a dealer. The last time I spoke to the owner, he mentioned it. So I suppose, he knows the job.

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 3rd March 2012 at 11:48.
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:46   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mr Behram, You have definitely provided a very detailed process of going about the AC work, that is why I din't want to get my work done from the local chaps here. I will surely be using your instructions as a reference, but I am not too much of an AC expert and if minor unwanted things are indeed done without my knowledge I might not notice it (apart from major modifications like shifting the turbo etc). Hence I wanted to know of a tried and tested guy here like We-Cool, whom I can trust to install a issue free AC set-up as done in the Bangalore thars. But as you have mentioned I think I'll directly go and tell the AC guy - "Scorpio mein AC dalneka hai, kitna lega"
Dear Nitin - thanks for your reply. Don't ask them "Scorpio mein AC dalneka hai" because all Scorpios come with factory equipped AC, they will get confused and in turn they will confuse you more. .

Also, please note that it is not only the compressor mounting, it is also the condenser location and cooling fan characteristics which define performance. As you already have the vehicle, the best course of action would be to wait till the AC vehicle gets introduced (hopefully shortly) and then get the dealer to obtain all parts as per the official "add-delete" list as per the engineering BOM (Bill of Materials) and equip your car with the engineered solution in totality. This is the difficult and costly but closest to perfect thing that you can do. The next best thing is to drive down to Bangalore, it's a wonderful road, my baby will just fly on the road @ 140 / 160 kmph all day, you will have a wide grin on your face as you will eat everything in sight, , go to the good guy there, whoever he is and finish it off.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th March 2012, 15:12   #266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Nitin - The next best thing is to drive down to Bangalore, it's a wonderful road, my baby will just fly on the road @ 140 / 160 kmph all day, you will have a wide grin on your face as you will eat everything in sight, , go to the good guy there, whoever he is and finish it off.
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
WELCOME TO BANGALORE,NITIN.AC CAN BE FITTED HERE WITH V COOL.
WE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.GO BACK CHILL.

Last edited by Rajith : 4th March 2012 at 15:14.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:45   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Did you check with Correa Car Cool guys? They have been installing AC on Mahindra Thar for a dealer. The last time I spoke to the owner, he mentioned it. So I suppose, he knows the job.
@Trueintrepid, yes correa car cool was the first place I checked, and they spoke about shifting the turbo. But now as you say they since they are installing for the dealer they could be following the standard installation procedure for the thar and not messing with the turbo. Will check out with them again sometime this week.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:52   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
WELCOME TO BANGALORE,NITIN.AC CAN BE FITTED HERE WITH V COOL.
WE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.GO BACK CHILL.
Mr Behram,
I am sure the thar will do as you said, I have done 100/110 kmph for reasonably long stretches myself with ease and she just cruises along.
In fact it did cross my mind once to just drive down to Bangalore and get done with it. For now I ll wait a bit for the M&M AC to arrive. The winter has still not tailed off from Mumbai so the heat is still bearable to drive a few more weeks without AC.

Thanks Rajith for the invite, will update about the progress of the AC fitment and if I do plan to eventually get it fixed in Bangalore itself.

Thanks & regards,
Nitin
Old 5th March 2012, 15:05   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
What did they charge you. How does the vent system to back pax work. Was there an option to route on b pillar or near hand brake. What would be effective for back pax.
Thats about 25k and you dont need vent system for the back for the cold air to be routed. The setup is as in any hatch backs and believe me it does its job and really effective.

yesterday i did a long distance from Bangalore to Ambur (TN) about 165 kms continuous up and down i a single day and when the sun was right on top.

Started at around 12 pm from bangalore and started back from there at around 6 pm with AC through out. Believe me the Thar roared on the roads with a lovely road presense and ket me and my gang cool theough out without any complains. And she brought us back safe and sound without any trouble.

I'm really happy with my Thar, thanks again to Swamy (BlackRaven) for being patient with me all the time when i used to shoot queries and helping with the accessories.

All in All you guys as Team-BHP family really rocks.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2012 at 21:46. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 15:43   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
yesterday i did a long distance from Bangalore to Ambur (TN) about 165 kms continuous up and down i a single day and when the sun was right on top.

Started at around 12 pm from bangalore and started back from there at around 6 pm with AC through out. Believe me the Thar roared on the roads with a lovely road presense and ket me and my gang cool theough out without any complains. And she brought us back safe and sound without any trouble.

I'm really happy with my Thar, thanks again to Swamy (BlackRaven) for being patient with me all the time when i used to shoot queries and helping with the accessories.

All in All you guys as Team-BHP family really rocks.
All these comments just make me want to drive down to Bangalore and get the job done.

@raghu4222, I know the AC is quite effective even with the current soft top set up but have you done anything else specifically to get the small gaps/ spaces etc sealed?, especially where the rear flap closes towards the tail-gate.
In addition to letting the heat in they also bring in lots of dust.
I have got the the drain holes and the other unnecessary holes on the floor closed with nut/bolts since it lets a lot of dust come in from below.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks