Team-BHP - Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/101068-mm550-capable-offroad-onroad-vehicle-9.html)

Gogi

Those army rims will easily accomodate the bighorns. My puny stock 540 rims easily took on the 235 bravo's i had on earlier. infact before i put on the skinny baraaj tyres for 10 days i had 275's from the pajero on the same puny 540 rims

anyway, you have already bought the rims. so let this point rest. your bighorns will come easily me thinks. you wont need to knock off anything

oh and prakash has enough konas for like 10 jeeps:)

Gogi, see here for more of the 6 point on a 540 - especially the distance to pedal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2410650

Edit -- Note -- no driver keeps his right foot in a | position, it is more of a / angle - so, after doing 50+ Kms of driving, I can safely say that this position is of no hinderance to the right foot.

Fazalbhai that was a very useful video. Ill see if that raptor bedliner is available here.

Tejas, i think ill have to fir the tyres first and see, i have a feeling that i might have to get rid of the other end too:D

Rohit, firstly thanks for the insulation material.

Now coming to the Army rims, they are 16" and the Tyres are 15" so wont fit and i dont think 16" tyres are needed. They will also just add to the weight. Gypsy rims im told can hold the tyres so hunting for someone with spare Gypsy rims to lend me for a few days before the Black Rocks arrive to set up my suspension.

Santosh you are a real help! For the tome being im only getting a four point RC done as im quite stuck up about my foot being at ease. Also, having the front RC means interference with dash removal. So will plan that after the Examm and AKC and then carry out a design which will not hinder my foot nor the removal and fitting of the dashboard whenever needed. Still please keep the pics coming as i will get the front part done sometime in the future.

Today am planning the RC and insulation and dampening material.

Duh!! I totally forgot yours is a 550 with a dash. This 540 in 6PRC question is a Dash-LESS pre-1990 model, hence it was much easier to fabricate. Sorry, but all the best for a 4PRC.

You know, you are allowed to guide me in the four point too Santosh:D:D

Thanks for the superb video Fazal sir, it not only shown the practical application process but also igniting the desire to DIY. I am left with few questions to ask:-

1. How is the texture of the paint i.e, once sprayed does it look like a matt
2. Can we spray the body color once the RAPTOR treatment is done
3. How much would a MM550/any jeep would require
5. Where is it available in Hyderabad (if any) and the cost.

apologies to the thread owner to bumping in and discussing some other topic but felt useful to me and many others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanu (Post 2410811)
Thanks for the superb video Fazal sir, it not only shown the practical application process but also igniting the desire to DIY. I am left with few questions to ask:-

1. How is the texture of the paint i.e, once sprayed does it look like a matt
2. Can we spray the body color once the RAPTOR treatment is done
3. How much would a MM550/any jeep would require
5. Where is it available in Hyderabad (if any) and the cost.

apologies to the thread owner to bumping in and discussing some other topic but felt useful to me and many others.

Bala,

1. It is kind of a thick dotted emboss, it is matte finish.
2. Yes body colour can be done over it.
3. Maybe, about 6 cans.
4. No idea about it as Prabhu has done it for me at New Mars.Rs.1800 per can.

Apologies to Gogi bhai too for this prolonged topic.
Regards,

There is also a Wurth Bedliner treatment which might be more easily available i think. Im not aware of the Raptor's availability but this can be used also in the flooring of our cars and Jeeps. Dont know what the effects will be after this treatment meets the Sun in our country:D Hope it doesn't become all sticky as tar.

Hurry just received the Diff guards from Viji!! Red!!

Guys will someone please post pics of the oil cooler and the pipes? Also the pics of the idle control knob. I cant seem to find it. Can someone please tell me where it is available?

Got my Wurth Underbody Seal delivered today. Will use it to spray the chassis and the wheel arches. He will deliver the Wurth SKS Stoneguard, a product like the Raptor Bedliner. Wurth used to make a Bedliner product earlier but i was told that the stone guard was essentially the same product and hence the Bedliner has been discontinued. Ordered the Stoneguard to be used on the flooring and firewall before insulation and sound deadening. Shall be a few days till its delivered.

Packet containing the Dif guards arrives from from Viji

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-30062011244.jpg

The Red Diff guards

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-30062011246.jpg

The Wurth Under Body Seal-received

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-02072011252.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 2413575)
Guys will someone please post pics of the oil cooler and the pipes? Also the pics of the idle control knob. I cant seem to find it. Can someone please tell me where it is available?

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-20110703_135430_235.jpg

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-20110703_135513_556.jpg
the oil cooler& idle control knob.

Shjreejesh could i have the clear picture of the Oil Cooler please, thanks in anticipation.

Guys i have a huge decision to maker and there is not much time left before the AKC and the Examm. I have decided on Maxxis Bighorns 15 x 31 x 10.5. While im a newbie in the tyre department i need advice here.

Firstly is this the right size for the MM550.
Then What rims do i opt for. I was told the best are the 15'' 8.5 J rims. Then someone tells me to go for 10J rims of the same size. What is the difference in these and what will the effect me on my MM. Will i have to make modifications to accommodate these rims and tyres? If so what?

Id really hate it if my tyres touched the fenders or even could not be turned lock to lock freely without them being scraped.

Say for eg. if the best option for me would be 8.5J rims with the above mentioned tyres, would i be able to get them fitted without a problem later on like, scrapping fenders or being obstructed in any ways? Will i have to go for a SPOA or a shackle lift for these tyres? If yes, which is the best option of both and what are the pros and cons of each.

Ravi, i know you are running the very same tyres without any mods and are very happy with them. Please post your comments here as they would be invaluable. Guys please give your comments as the time is less and i have all the mods to carry out if they are needed.

Santosh awaiting your pics sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 2415803)
I have decided on Maxxis Bighorns 15 x 31 x 10.5. Firstly is this the right size for the MM550.

Right size is not a definite answer. Right upsize is more like it.

Quote:

Then What rims do i opt for. I was told the best are the 15'' 8.5 J rims. Then someone tells me to go for 10J rims of the same size. What is the difference in these and what will the effect me on my MM. Will i have to make modifications to accommodate these rims and tyres? If so what?
10J rims for a 10.5 width tyre may not be required. 8.5J should be good enough

Quote:

Id really hate it if my tyres touched the fenders or even could not be turned lock to lock freely without them being scraped.
Your jeep had 7.5x16 tyres which is the same height as the 31" Bighorns so it should not be an issue if you feel it was fine with the earlier set of tires. Though, I personally did go for a shackle lift courtesy Viji and am quite happy with the experience so far.

Quote:

Will i have to go for a SPOA or a shackle lift for these tyres? If yes, which is the best option of both and what are the pros and cons of each.
Would be good to look up the "Increasing your Jeep's ground clearance" thread for more detailed stuff. Frankly for the uninitiated like me, shackle lift is a simpler mod which doesn't sound scary on a highway as compared to a SPOA.

Cheers,
Adi

P.S. - Good luck with getting all the mods done by AKC/EXAMM. On second thoughts, do we ever get done with everything on a Jeep? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR (Post 2415817)
Your jeep had 7.5x16 tyres which is the same height as the 31" Bighorns so it should not be an issue if you feel it was fine with the earlier set of tires. Though, I personally did go for a shackle lift courtesy Viji and am quite happy with the experience so far.
Would be good to look up the "Increasing your Jeep's ground clearance" thread for more detailed stuff. Frankly for the uninitiated like me, shackle lift is a simpler mod which doesn't sound scary on a highway as compared to a SPOA.

Exactly what i wanted to know. So you recommend a shackle lift!! I dont know which will be scarier to drive on the highway. Could you let me know the pros and cons of both Adi? Will i HAVE to do this or is it avoidable? Id like the least mods to be carried out but if its unavoidable, its unavoidable!!

Since these tyres almost match the stance my Jeep will have to its previous stance, will it in any way come across and scrape the fenders or have a problem whilst turning steering lock to lock? Will it have a problem (without a lift) in lock to lock turning of the steering wheel?

Quote:

Good luck with getting all the mods done by AKC/EXAMM. On second thoughts, do we ever get done with everything on a Jeep? :)
lol: Thanks I agree do we ever get done??!!

One more question, does my Jeep come with an LSD in the rear? How do i know if its working?

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 2415822)
Will i HAVE to do this or is it avoidable? Id like the least mods to be carried out but if its unavoidable, its unavoidable!!

On a scale of must-have, nice-to-have and not-needed, a shackle lift is a somewhere between must-have and nice-to-have. SPOA would much more scarier on a regular-use vehicle (IIRC your primary intent?) as compared to shackle lift.

Quote:

Since these tyres almost match the stance my Jeep will have to its previous stance, will it in any way come across and scrape the fenders or have a problem whilst turning steering lock to lock? Will it have a problem (without a lift) in lock to lock turning of the steering wheel?
Am assuming these fatter rims would be negative offset. With my Gypsy rims (5.5 width) on the 540 the 31" did foul with the leafsprings on full-turns and I had to adjust the steering stop and did end up increasing the turning radius but I wanted steel rims hence had to do this. Now when you put a 8.5 width rim and it were to be zero-offset (=gyspy rims), then it would bring the tyre about 1.5 (8.5-5.5/2) inches closer to the leafsprings. Hence the minimum offset needed has to be atleast more than 1.5 inches to bring it to a position similar to the Gypsy rims. Here, I have not accounted for differing tyre bulge on a 8.5 vis-a-vis a 5.5 rim but this should help you get some idea of what you need from your rims.

On the other hand, the more the negative offset, the cantilever stresses on the axle would increase under extreme conditions of articulation and that's one more point of failure induced into our Jeeps. So keep that in mind also.

Quote:

One more question, does my Jeep come with an LSD in the rear? How do i know if its working?
The 550 Army model does come with LSD. Possibly a simple test for LSD is to jack one of the rear wheels up and roll it. In an open diff, it would move freely while the one on the ground would be stationary. With LSD, it should not be moving freely at all speeds. At some speed difference i.e. limited slip, the LSD would kick in.

The above are things I have learnt/read so there could/will be differing views on the same but hope it helps.

Cheers,
Adi