Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 11:51   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,817
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Good advice is always welcome! But my visa period is limited, so it is difficult to get a motorhome here and utilise it. I might rent one, but never liked the idea of using a rented motorhome. I still don't understand why cant we get a few decent options in India as I feel the potential is huge.
Well, if you so insist, only these 3 threads come to my mind. 2 out of these may fulfill your 4wd need. I am sure there must be more posts scattered over the forum but I don't recall right now. Maybe some keyword searches can dig out more.

TT as PV: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post3804948 (Caravans - Why not in India ?)

The 1-ton: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...-1-ton-23.html (Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton)

207 pickup mod: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...away-home.html (Building a truck camper : Home away from home)


EDIT: As for the why? I guess it's more to do with our archaic laws which we never bothered to modernize with the changing times. Then there are people everywhere out to fleece/deceive you - right from finding the right mechanic, to govt. officials, to traffic cops. Now, there maybe good folks around and that's why the world doesn't implode, but, still - you just can't let your guard down anywhere. And when you have such a niche vehicle, all these people will interpret the rules/laws differently. Toll booths for example, they may insist and ask you to pay commercial rates as they won't have a slot for larger private vehicles. I am not saying it can't be done, but there are far too many headaches IMO. A simpler solution could be camping with your Thar. Maybe kit it out with a roof tent.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 18th February 2019 at 11:57.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 11:59   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 4,147
Thanked: 6,340 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

I have a friend, Rahul Gavand who has bought a Mercedes truck and is converting it to a motor home. It's a 2wd with rear diff locks because Bharat Benz doesn't sell 4WD trucks in India. He's a tourer and doesn't need 4x4 capabilities.

If you want I can share his contact details on PM.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 06:52   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,667
Thanked: 7,240 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
EDIT: As for the why? I guess it's more to do with our archaic laws which we never bothered to modernize with the changing times. Then there are people everywhere out to fleece/deceive you - right from finding the right mechanic, to govt. officials, to traffic cops. Now, there maybe good folks around and that's why the world doesn't implode, but, still - you just can't let your guard down anywhere. And when you have such a niche vehicle, all these people will interpret the rules/laws differently. Toll booths for example, they may insist and ask you to pay commercial rates as they won't have a slot for larger private vehicles. I am not saying it can't be done, but there are far too many headaches IMO. A simpler solution could be camping with your Thar. Maybe kit it out with a roof tent.
Very well said, really appreciate the points you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have a friend, Rahul Gavand who has bought a Mercedes truck and is converting it to a motor home. It's a 2wd with rear diff locks because Bharat Benz doesn't sell 4WD trucks in India. He's a tourer and doesn't need 4x4 capabilities.

If you want I can share his contact details on PM.
That is great news. When will his project be complete? The points mentioned by Dry Ice above are very salient points and has made me skeptical. I would like to wait and get a feedback from him once his project is complete and has done a few trips. It would be unfair to bother him with questions right now. I will surely PM you to get more details after I get a confirmation from you, provided the itch remains strong. For now Dry Ice has been able to put a big seed of doubt.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 21:36   #34
KMT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Coorg
Posts: 333
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

http://smlisuzu.com/productlisting.a...&productid=107

4x4 407s are available on order but are HARD and bouncy to drive.

Has anyone seen an SML 4x4?
KMT is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 15:55   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 149
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
http://smlisuzu.com/productlisting.a...&productid=107

4x4 407s are available on order but are HARD and bouncy to drive.

Has anyone seen an SML 4x4?
Hi,

I test drove a brand new SML army ambulance 4x4 last year. They were totally agricultural to drive. One has to completely forget the luxuries of a car.
But in India they are the best option for modification for a motorhome...right size with 4x4 capabilities. I wanted to buy one last year but getting it in white board is a major challenge. I had even made a 3-d model of the sml motorhome which I wanted to build. few pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-p1.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-p2.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-p3.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-11111111111111.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-1212.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-1213.jpg  

ashroy_6 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 20:09   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,817
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
Hi,

I test drove a brand new SML army ambulance 4x4 last year. They were totally agricultural to drive. One has to completely forget the luxuries of a car.
But in India they are the best option for modification for a motorhome...right size with 4x4 capabilities. I wanted to buy one last year but getting it in white board is a major challenge. I had even made a 3-d model of the sml motorhome which I wanted to build. few pics attached.

Looks swell!

Incidently, SML says they also make this, which I believe could be just as good a platform considering it comes with factory PS, AC.


TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-screenshot-20190306-20.06.44.png


Also attaching the brochure from their site - sml_4wd_dualcab.pdf
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 14:15   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 149
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

The best bet I feel is either Swaraj mazda 4x4 chassis which is very much available for around 17 lakhs. Getting white plate is also quite possible. This I guess has 2+ tonnes capacity and is slightly bigger than tata 407.

The second best option would be to get TATA 407 4X4 which would cost around 10-11 lakhs. It would be little bit shorter than SML but the size would be perfect for Himalayan roads plus I feel it would be little better to drive also.
ashroy_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 14:17   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 149
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looks swell!

Incidently, SML says they also make this, which I believe could be just as good a platform considering it comes with factory PS, AC.


Attachment 1856408


Also attaching the brochure from their site - Attachment 1856409
If you are looking for SML, then go for the regular 4x4 truck. It cost about 17.5 lac ex showroom. It would give more flexibility for design.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-img20190402wa0017.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-img20190402wa0018.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-img20190402wa0019.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-img20190402wa0020.jpg  

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-img20190402wa0021.jpg  


Last edited by ashroy_6 : 7th April 2019 at 14:26.
ashroy_6 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:11   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,096
Thanked: 6,451 Times
Default Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

If anyone is interested in a 4x4 407, I came across this ad on olx

https://www.olx.in/item/tata-407-4x4-iid-1522780167


TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-4074x4.jpg
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeeps/Gypsy's: All through Army Auctions: What, When, Where, How? 4x4addict 4x4 Vehicles 808 12th September 2019 14:44
Iconic Tata 407 celebrates Birthday no. 25! GTO Commercial Vehicles 42 17th April 2014 18:17
Engine Swap Tata 407 into a Mahindra Jeep moralfibre Modifications & Accessories 11 30th July 2007 18:48
Tata 407 vs Force Excel 4 LCV. Which one? itsmevivek Commercial Vehicles 12 3rd April 2007 09:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:22.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks