Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2006, 15:06   #1

Mahindra Invader 4WD

Hi,
I am told by Mahindras that there is no 4WD Invader (XDP engine) available with a powersteering. Can anyone comment on how difficult is it to drive an Invader 4wd which has no power steering ?

thanks
Old 9th February 2006, 18:32   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocenter
Hi,
I am told by Mahindras that there is no 4WD Invader (XDP engine) available with a powersteering. Can anyone comment on how difficult is it to drive an Invader 4wd which has no power steering ?

thanks
Have you ever driven a truck before? Its that difficult.. I test drove it once coz i liked the concept of a semi-open top Bolero..

But a few things about the vehicle put me off..

1> The tyres are very small for the height of the vehicle and the looks of the vehicle suffer a major image dent because of the small tyres..

2> The vehicle felt underpowered..

3> There is no other accessory with the car, not even a cassette/CD player and no speakers either.

4> Power Steering is an absolute must on the Invader.

Cheers,
Old 12th February 2006, 17:03   #3

This is helpful. Thanks man23ish.
Old 24th February 2006, 23:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocenter
Hi,

thanks
Hey I drove one, took it for a test drive...
1] at low speeds like when u are reversing or parking : very difficult to turn, its like going to the gym with a stering wheel
2] at medium / cruising speeds : - it handles like it's drunk ... the steering is just to vague.. felt like there was some play in the steering ..and then suddenly the play will dissapear and it will start turning .. scary handling ... its like there is a lag in the response from the front wheels..
3] I had made a U turn with this invader and it was again crazy... u just dont know how much to turn the wheel, suddenly u realize u have turned too much and then u correct it with a opposite lock... and then see if u are in a correct line .. otherwuise again correct it.. its like a boat with a rudder ...
go for a gypsy king ..its still available in the market and much more refined..
Old 12th December 2006, 19:54   #5
BHPian

Guys I am reviving this thread because I cant post a new one yet..

I am trying to choose between the Mahindra Major (Jeep) and the Bolero Invader. It seems for December there is a 50k discount on Invader that brings it close to Major price (with 2WD).

Is MM offering this discount because it is phasing out Invader?
Any updates on Invader quality/drive-ability etc?
Any comments/tips on comparing these two? It would be for some farm use and some long trips, not really too much hardcore offroading. After all our roads give enough off-road experience anyways...
Old 12th December 2006, 22:00   #6
BHPian

ggkg the mahindra Major is a gud jeep and i have lots of friend who use it daily in kerala in the high range area's...The major is really tested, tried and proven.....its worth the bucks you spend on it, and if you are really planning on offroads pls go for the 4WD. Regarding power steerings, i would say its a luxuary for JEEPS
Old 13th December 2006, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra "MAJOR"

Hi GGKG,
The MAHINDRA "MAJOR" is basically an uprated CJ4A

In 1967? Mahindra stretched the CJ3B by 10 inches making a 91" WB JEEP.
It was powered by the F4-134 "Hurricane" (2187cc 75BHP 15.5Kgm@2000rpm) till 1990s

In 1974? Mahindra intoduced the B275 (2350CC 38BHP 12Kgm@1400rpm) International Harvester Co Tractor engine on the CJ4A and called it the CJ500D.

The CJ500D has been the mainstay of most "department"/ Government Fleets.
Though the JEEP is extremely slow on the road it is very rugged and reliable Off-The-Road.

In 1999? Mahindra introduced the MDI3200 (2650cc, 59BHP 15.5Kgm@1400rpm) aka B575 engine on the CJ500D and called it the CL500 & CL550.

The engine is extremely troquey and is able to give better Road Speeds.

Off-The-Road this JEEP is extremely capable.

In 2004 the MDI 3200TC (2650cc, 68BHP 18Kgm@2000rpm) was intoduced on the CL500 know as the Mahindra MAJOR post 2000?.

This engine is the Bolero DI-Turbo engine, has better torque and BHP than the B275 or B575 but the turbo lag is pronounced and the JEEP is not as capable Off-The-Road.

From my experience with the above JEEPs - Off-Road Capability
1) CJ3B/CJ4A
2) CL500/CL550 Mahindra MAJOR (Non turbo)
3) CJ500D
4) Mahindra Major (Turbo)

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2006, 13:47   #8
BHPian

Thanks Arka, that was a very good and detailed historical overview..

It is so hard to get used Jeeps of good quality in second hand market..I have been trying but most are early 90s vintage, was looking for Y2k+ but that was impossible. So I have to go with whatever is available in MM showrooms.

I would have gone for Major (saw a new one in the showroom and it was so nice) but the price cut on invader brings it in same price point..so I am thinking of booking it given in more recent design and suspension, plus the almost jeepish looks, front door for better driving in rain etc, larger space at back, etc.

Do you have any friends owning Invader and any +/- comment on it (the DI turbo version, not the old one with Peugeot engine no longer sold)?
Old 13th December 2006, 17:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Diy - Jeep

Hi GGKG,
What ever you do make sure its 4WD/4x4 otherwise it becomes a peep.
I would go for the DI turbo if there were no other choices.

Have you considered building your own JEEP........quite fun, fully customised
engine options, Gearing options......it loads of fun.................saves you almost 2 Lakhs.............................and in INDIA nothing can beat it OTR.

Disadvantages - It takes time 1-6 months

Keepin' Jeepin'

Arka
Old 13th December 2006, 17:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi GGKG,
What ever you do make sure its 4WD/4x4 otherwise it becomes a peep.
I would go for the DI turbo if there were no other choices.

engine options, Gearing options......it loads of fun.................saves you almost 2 Lakhs.............................and in INDIA nothing can beat it OTR.

Disadvantages - It takes time 1-6 months

Keepin' Jeepin'

Arka
I would be most interested in custom build...any savings would make me look less mad in the eyes of my wife for getting a jeep :-)...even otherwise, I agree it is fun..trouble is to find good reliable sources (in Karnataka/Blr area) because my own knowledge of vehicles is almost zero..and it is easy to take me for a royal ride.

Any contacts / info would be most appreciated, pls PM me..tks in advance...have folks in Delhi who can also help out if required if transport and taxes dont make it unviable.

rgds
Old 13th December 2006, 17:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Build a Jeep from scratch? That deserves a separate thread. Why don't you start one?

BTW, congrats on becoming a BHPian after two years of wait. Must be a forum record.
Old 14th December 2006, 09:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
I would be most interested in custom build...any savings would make me look less mad in the eyes of my wife for getting a jeep :-)...even otherwise, I agree it is fun..trouble is to find good reliable sources (in Karnataka/Blr area) because my own knowledge of vehicles is almost zero..and it is easy to take me for a royal ride.

Any contacts / info would be most appreciated, pls PM me..tks in advance...have folks in Delhi who can also help out if required if transport and taxes dont make it unviable.

rgds

Actually Mahindra does make custom made Jeeps too.. You might want to take a look at Mahindra Bolero Commander and Mahindra Bolero Inspira.. as well.. A good option is to buy a used second-hand Mahindra Bolero put some money in it and give it to the Mahindra guys to customize it. I believe there is a thread somewhere on this site. You can get it by searching for Mahindra Bolero Commander.
Old 14th December 2006, 10:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Build a Jeep from scratch? That deserves a separate thread. Why don't you start one?
didnt gto too build his jeep from stratch? still remember that thread..was the first thread i saw when i became a memeber..wanted a jeeep sooo badly then..
Old 16th April 2008, 16:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
@svsantosh the prices mentioned by include the discount ????
let me clarify, Major 4x4 - 5.17 OTR,(Invader 4x4 6.17 OTR - April Dicsount 50K = 5.67 OTR Bangalore), hope that helps
Old 16th April 2008, 18:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Is Mahindra Bolero Invader still made? The Bolero website has disowned it long time back. What are they so ashamed about?

Is there some other official web site?

Most Viewed