Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 18:21   #16
BHPian

Re: mm550 with a scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Why do you need a 4x4 then? It increases the vehicle weight, pushes up the cost of acquiring and maintaining the vehicle and is next to useless on city roads.

well, nostalgic value and a desire to be able to take on roads/tracks that a normal 2wd cannot do.
but yes - i would want what people call a "lifestyle 4x4".

from the reviews/responses that i am getting - it does look like a heart over mind thing

@spike - do you have some timelines on the improved Thar that you mentioned in your response?
Old 8th July 2011, 18:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thar would be double your budget of 3L!

take a look at a used gypsy under 3 L. (2nd option to 550 with a 2.6 engine) and get it fitted with an AC and PS.

gypsy could be the answer to all your questions:

petrol vehicle ok on pocket for your weekend drive.

requires less visits to the garage compared to the rebuild 550 with a scorpio engine!

easily to repair, cheaper to repair.

easy to fit AC and PS.

Last edited by Parm : 8th July 2011 at 18:58.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
1. Does the 2.6 CRDE motor require the ECM too?
2. I checked with Divgi Warner - and was informed that the BW transfer case is not available new in the aftermarket - what options remain ?
yes the CRDE has a ECM.

yes & no.
divgi-warner only sell their product to mahindra, tata, ford in other words only to manufactures.

but now you can buy a new borg warner transfer case in M.A.S.S. if you can convince them.
the new transfer case will cost around 85K excluding labor charges.

i was saying to buy this in scrap yard. (some one i know in Delhi wanted to sell a KMT90+BW manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Spike & Jeepster talk too much & steal the show

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
so primarily - you are saying that if i want a 4x4 jeep for daily drive or even weekend drive and not much off roading - i should not be looking at the old jeeps and getting them restored option?

OT:what are the options reg. safety? how to ensure that the jeep is safe when parked during the night? Does Thar come with a immobiliser? or?
what i am saying is buy a working 4x4 jeep (540 or even major) , use for some time, then decide if you want to modify it or not.

& all vehicles can be stolen within 15 minuts so buy a scrap-ish jeep & no one will tuch it.
jokes apart, the things in the jeep are not secure as its soft top.

& older jeeps dosent have a immobilisers but i think Thar can be fitted with one. (which IMO dosent make a difference)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...pless-4x4.html

please go trough following threads.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...st-stolen.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ts-inside.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ro-stolen.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Most of us speak highly of the Thar here ! Must be a good mahindra product
we just referred the Thar as the requirements of shri.

the Thar is a small wheel base Scorpio under mm 540 body tub.
it drives like a Scorpio too.
but currently AC is not offered as standard, one has to fit it at M.A.S.S. after the purchase.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ndra-thar.html

Last edited by jeepster : 8th July 2011 at 19:47.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 19:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

HI Sach.Sri, while everyone is stuck on the breakdown if the costs of your project, the first question you should address is whether it is possible.

Well yes it is and a few people from our forum have already done it, successfully. Please go through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...red-mm550.html

Although you dont have to undertake the additional mods involved in this vehicle, you can get an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Exactly what I thought as well, Having never owned a 4x4 and not having a thorough knowhow the mechanics could easily take me for a ride. I scrapped the idea of getting a old army MM550 (or even a MM540) rebuild.
With Thar out of my budget (2L) Im looking at decently maintained CL500 or CL550's.
Hi Vikrut, please also go through the above thread.
Whatever the swap costs you, trust me, it will be way below the Thar's price. Add to that the additional mods you would have to undertake on the Thar. You can do the math.

There wont be any reliability issues if the swap is done by a reputed person and there are many on this forum who will guide you towards such people, out of their own experiences.

I would say, if you're bent on spending your money for a Thar, then consider both options, see what mainly your use is going to be and then decide. Dot decide on the views of a few of us. Its your money and you must know where its going.

All the best with your projects guys.
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 19:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Thar come with a immobiliser? or?
No as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
You will always have something or the other to do- why not add power steering, why not redo the wiring, why not upgrade the brakes and so on. And once you have test driven a Thar CRDe, you will never look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
My question is will the standard suspension & mechanicals ( Trany,brakes etc ) be able to handle the extra road Speed & power ?
Rajubhai, I have higlighted that also, see above post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
How is thar in that department ? Could some guru throw light on it please?

Please test drive a used Thar CRDe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

& older jeeps dosent have a immobilisers but i think Thar can be fitted with one. (which IMO dosent make a difference)
Why Nikhil, problem even with an Immobilizer?

Spike
Old 8th July 2011, 20:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why Nikhil, problem even with an Immobilizer?
please go trough following threads for answer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-cracked.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...st-stolen.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html
Old 8th July 2011, 20:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am aware of these^^, they are old cases. However, if it is happening now then it is a serious cause of concern and must be highlighted.

Spike
Old 9th July 2011, 10:20   #23
BHPian

Hell! The mahindra dealer does not have a Thar TD vehicle! I managed to convince the guy to give a TD in some other Thar which is available in the showroom

Going to take a TD in the afternoon
Old 9th July 2011, 19:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

So were you able to take a Test Drive of the THAR ?? Do post your impressions.

Cheers
Old 9th July 2011, 19:31   #25
BHPian

did the test drive in a "new Thar"

well - i must say that i liked it, the moment you take it out - the interiors and anything else doest not matter and you start thinking - what kind of roll bars, soft top or hardtop, what kind of bull bars and halogns

does the seat come in leather options? where will i get leather seats ...

in short - everything else goes away - i am seriously thinking of buying one.

waiting for the a.c. verison - let us see how soon that happens. Till the time - i will save up for this

Incidently, after i returned from the test drive and was with my 5 yr old son - he suddenly says - "papa let us buy the mahindra waali gypsy"

i ask him - what does he mean and where has he seen it - he says the one with "parda" instead of body and he saw it in the showroom the last time we were there

I tell him, no a.c, no stereo - and he is still ok.
Old 9th July 2011, 21:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

well - i must say that i liked it, the moment you take it out - the interiors and anything else doest not matter and you start thinking - what kind of roll bars, soft top or hardtop, what kind of bull bars and halogns

waiting for the a.c. verison - let us see how soon that happens. Till the time - i will save up for this

Incidently, after i returned from the test drive and was with my 5 yr old son - he suddenly says - "papa let us buy the mahindra waali gypsy"

i ask him - what does he mean and where has he seen it - he says the one with "parda" instead of body and he saw it in the showroom the last time we were there

I tell him, no a.c, no stereo - and he is still ok.

You seem to have got back with a very positive experience !! What do say to the ride quality vs the MM550 ? Is this the first Jeep you've driven or is it one of many ??

Your feedback would be appreciated !

Cheers
Old 9th July 2011, 23:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would really caution you against going for a Jeep as there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to own one other than sentimental value. My impression of owning a Jeep is it's for a hardcore enthusiast who does not mind spending time with the vehicle to tweak and tune (rather fix too) it. Go for it if you are ready to spend long hours and many days in the workshop.

I was bitten by the Jeep bug myself, but have stayed clear of it so far, and haven't regretted the decision one bit. Yes, I too would love to own a Jeep, but I sure don't want to end up visiting the workshop in my car to see how the work on my Jeep is progressing.

So even though the heart is pressing its choice, listen to the mind.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@spike - do you have some timelines on the improved Thar that you mentioned in your response?
Why do you ask me? I really do not know.

Quote:

Well, I told you this earlier, see :-

Quote:
If you cannot wait, pick up a Thar CRDe, you won't be disappointed.
Quote:
. And once you have test driven a Thar CRDe, you will never look back. Take my word.
From the link to the other thread posted earlier, if you manage to get the cost of rebuilding a 550 with Scorpio aggregates, do share here. I tried several times without any success.

Meanwhile, read this thread too-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2313856

and this too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2251267

Both these are worth reading and contemplating regarding pros and cons, teaching "real world" experiences. Leave Maths and Physics for time being, sometimes common sense IMHO is more than sufficient. Remember, BLING (is not equal to) JEEP. Wish you good luck!

Spike
Old 10th July 2011, 17:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
HI Sach.Sri, while everyone is stuck on the breakdown if the costs of your project, the first question you should address is whether it is possible.

Well yes it is and a few people from our forum have already done it, successfully. Please go through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...red-mm550.html

Although you dont have to undertake the additional mods involved in this vehicle, you can get an idea.

Hi Vikrut, please also go through the above thread.
Whatever the swap costs you, trust me, it will be way below the Thar's price. Add to that the additional mods you would have to undertake on the Thar. You can do the math.

There wont be any reliability issues if the swap is done by a reputed person and there are many on this forum who will guide you towards such people, out of their own experiences.

I would say, if you're bent on spending your money for a Thar, then consider both options, see what mainly your use is going to be and then decide. Dot decide on the views of a few of us. Its your money and you must know where its going.

All the best with your projects guys.
The Thar is way out of my budget at 7Lakhs onroad in Mumbai. My use is limited to city driving & a long drive atleast every 2 months. I am not going to be a harcore offroader but the Jeep will see some soft offroading every few months. And would really prefer a mumbai registration (I drive a Maruti Van & the cops tend to stop me almost every week!) Please do let me know If you come across a well maintained 4x4 Jeep , I do love the Major CL550 .. been trying to find one ..without much success might I add.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you ask me? I really do not know.

Spike
well - just asking if you have some information, nothing more than that

Quote:
You seem to have got back with a very positive experience !! What do say to the ride quality vs the MM550 ? Is this the first Jeep you've driven or is it one of many ??
ricky - i have not driven jeeps earlier, never had the chance. So i am not an expert on ride quality and stuff. What i did feel was that Thar has a good ride quality and this is what i have reported.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks