Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 18:31   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: My First New Jeep - The Mahindra Thar DI Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Instead of drilling holes in the seat from, it is better to use a 4mm 2 inch C channel to mount the seat. The reason is that the seat is also too low. When you use a C Channel you can move your seat back and also increase the seat height.
Then the purpose of Team-BHP would be defeated, wouldn't it be? For the benefit of those who are reading this thread, members and guests alike, it would be great if you could share your valuable knowledge in this forum instead of restricting it to a phone call.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2012 at 20:14. Reason: Removing his phone number, as I did the same from the original post
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 22:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshan.ckm View Post
@ dhanushs

I don't think so, it might be due to the after market rims the track looks wider.
Are these Rims called "negative offset rims", and does it have any stress impact on the axles ?
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:03   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
I have recently bought the Thar DI too. I read that you have managed to pull the seat back on the rails,would it be possible for you to post some pics of that
@Rohit: The Thar DI seat needs to be moved back and also raised by about 2 inches to be comfortable. After Sanjay took delivery of his jeep, he had to leave for chennai immediately so we went for the easy way of putting additional holes in the tool box to move the seats back.

However, a better way to do this is to use a C-Channel which should be about 1 inch wide and 2 inches tall. You can place it and mark the holes on one side to bolt on to the existing holes on the tool box. This is done on the same way the OEM seats are bolted onto the tool box under the driver seat.

Now you can mark new holes on top of the c-channel which are about two in inches back from the holes below. Now bolt the seat onto the holes on top of the C-Channel. This way your seat will be 2 inches taller and can also be pushed back a few inches more for a more comfortable posture.

I have attached a pic of the type of C-Channel I had in mind. I am not much of a writer, but hope, I am clear.

@GTO & @Suhas: It is not that I don't want to share information, but to be frank, I hate typing long posts. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-cchannel.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 2nd February 2012 at 23:05.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Safety during modification

Tini, good suggestions but I need to say a few things -

1. Won't it be better if you use a hat section (I know C sections are easily available) but with a hat section you get a better seat area (for welding). I do not prefer bolting a 4mm (??) to a 18 GA SPCC.

2. The height of driver and co-driver will be different once you do this mod, how do you change the mounting for the other seat to equal the two 'H' points (for similar comfort) ? Will be tricky, doable though.

The mounting is different here too. If you must have seen, the other seat has a hat section spot welded to the floor. The hat section contains a cylindrical guide bush with a washer at the end and equally supported at the floor sill panels through webbed reinforcements. A perfect job will necessitate overview of all these criterion's.

3. There are safety repercussions too, the seat belt angles will also change. What I am trying to say is, even though seat belt and seat are present they will not be working in the manner they are supposed to.

Hope you got my point, I am attaching a pic for illustration.

My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-sba.jpg

I have gone though hell to get all this done, that is a different story though. I understand a normal guy need not think of all this before doing such a simple mod.

Phew !

Spike

Pic courtesy- (AIS 015 Seat belt Anchorage) from ARAI website
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:02   #50
BANNED

Re: Safety during modification

Hi spike,

Thar DI & Major seems to have same seat specs and i have modified Major front seats , lifted with C section and drilled holes on top and bottom of the C & used existing holes on the tool box bolted to new holes of the C bottom and new holes on top C with existing seat sliding chanel,The possition was fine & fantastic. I dont prefer drilling MAHINDRA shells as its too much prone to RUST..

Co driver seat was lifted by 2 inches by adding an angle welded in the middle of all 4 legs, grinded ,pasted & painted. So no one can identify.

Only draw back was none of the seats are reclinable.

Else just remove the tool box & hat section found in THAR DI front platform and fit bolero frnt seat assy direct on both the sides

All mods done at KOYAS coimbatore. Costed me @ 22k , including new set of covers in rear & front with contrast RED/BLACK combo with art leather.

Last edited by Rajith : 3rd February 2012 at 08:04.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@The Traveller, what's the FE you are getting ?
I got this query from a non-TBHP friend who is looking for a jeep. Thanks !
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:16   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations Sanjay. For the soft top you can consider the one that comes on the CRDi version, which is quite nice. Chances are the frame inside is identical.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A friend at Mahindra A.S.S mentioned that Thar Di 4x4 gets an on road FE of about ~18 kmpl. CRDe about ~12 kmpl
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:17   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
A friend at Mahindra A.S.S mentioned that Thar Di 4x4 gets an on road FE of about ~18 kmpl. CRDe about ~12 kmpl
That will be one of the biggest joke by ASC.
I have used 3 di engines in that 2 was 4wd.

DI 2wd & 4 wd @ 12km/ltr

CRDE THAR 9-10Km/lts

SCORPIO VLX - 11km/lts.

Dont expect more than this in our normal style of driving
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:50   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
DI 2wd & 4 wd @ 12km/ltr
Rajith, I know 2WD Thar owners mentioning ~18kmpl efficiency, in Wayanad , for ON ROAD use.

btw, for your style of driving, whats the FE you get for a XDP (540's) engine. Just curious, so that I can relate these figures.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:50   #56
BANNED

Dear Dhanush,

Who ever claims 18Kms in 2wd or 4wd DI turbo engines is just a joke.I have driven @ 1lac kms alltogether with my 3 DI vehicles. DI 4wd, SLX 2wd & Major 4wd, yielded a mileage of 10.5 to 11.5kms average .Even when driven by my driver also.

MM 540 i get @ 10km/ltr.

Last edited by Rajith : 3rd February 2012 at 15:51.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hi Condor,
On a First Tankfull on our Thar DI 2WD, we got 15.75 KMPL.

Quote:
That will be one of the biggest joke by ASC.
I have used 3 di engines in that 2 was 4wd.

DI 2wd & 4 wd @ 12km/ltr
CRDE THAR 9-10Km/lts
SCORPIO VLX - 11km/lts.

Dont expect more than this in our normal style of driving
Quote:
Dear Dhanush,

Who ever claims 18Kms in 2wd or 4wd DI turbo engines is just a joke.I have driven @ 1lac kms alltogether with my 3 DI vehicles. DI 4wd, SLX 2wd & Major 4wd, yielded a mileage of 10.5 to 11.5kms average .Even when driven by my driver also.

MM 540 i get @ 10km/ltr.
Hi Rajith,
You can consider this as a joke .

Anyways Two points to ponder over here:
1. Thar DI is considerably lighter than Bolero & Thar Crde. I tried but couldn't get hold off numbers. Spikey, Can you plase share Weight Numbers?
2. Driving style matters. We use Thar DI as primary utility vehicle. Crusing comfortably at 70-80 at all time with various load.

I shall create dedicated ownership thread soon.

P.S: This was on first tankfull. I'm sure this will improve positively in future. Yes I've used Tankfull to Tankfull method only.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Spikey, Can you plase share Weight Numbers?
Mentioning Kerb weights only-

DI - 1410 Kg (for 2WD) 1490 Kg (for 4WD)
CRDe - 1670 Kg (non AC), 1685 Kg (AC)

All CRDe's are 4WD only.

Spike

PS- Guys, although this is the same DI engine family there are lots of changes in the engine itself. Those who have TD or seen personally will know better , so FE need not be the same. FE mentioned by zalaps is realistic.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:12   #59
BHPian

@traveller
Are you thinking of putting an AC in your Di?
Old 4th February 2012, 08:46   #60
BANNED

Hi,

I used my Di turbo 4wd (with Lamda AUTO FW hub)& SLX 2wd mainly in Bangalore city and a monthly 2 times - coimbatore up/down @ 1600kms with AC which yielded @ 11kms/ltr with 60% AC on.

But Major 4wd with no FW hub, AC or PS yielded the same kms as above vehicles.

All vehicles was using Mico pumb , 4wd vehicles was having BS2 & 2wd Slx was BS3 pumbs.

Hearing hi mileage in boleros DI turbos, made me to sell my swift vdi abs which yielded @ 18kms/ltr and to buy bolero.But i regret my descion.

Any how no more DI Turbos with me and im happy with Mhwak & NEF CRDe. Indeed DI turbos are bullet proof machines with Mico combination.Dont want to comment their performance with Dephi pumbs here..

Last edited by Rajith : 4th February 2012 at 08:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks