Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Gypsy King - Redefined

After doing up our first Gypsy the 1994 model MG410W it is stronly felt that the Gypsy definetly need some extra muscles and this is how we landed with the new 2006 model Gypsy King MPFI (MG413W). It is definetly a 'KING. in terms of perfomance and deserves to be redefined. This time we planed to build a much more practical vehicle, comfortable long distance cruiser, sitting 5 peoples comfortably, able to with stand any kind of terrain & climate (monsoon in kerala) and ofcourse some off-roading.

The hunt for a Gypsy King MPFI was not very easy a lot of options were considered including brand new one till ex-army ones and finally Team BHP classifieds came to help. This vehicle was found on T-Bhp classifieds for sale in Patiala immediately we called up one of our friend in Chandigarh who visited the seller and had a look at the vehicle, the feed back was positive and in not time and no second thaught the deal was done. Now another issue was how to bring the vehicle to Kerala? initial plan was to drive it all the way a distance of about 5400 KMS, but the main risk involved was the chances of break downs as we were not sure of the mechanical condition. Eventually we decided to transport it to kerala, it was first moved to Chandigarh from Patiala. From Chandigarh it was baught to Gurgaon and from Gurgaon it was loaded into a truck which baught & unloaded the vehicle right in front of our house in Alleppey.

The vehicle was almost in good condition not requiring any major maintanence, still we got all the oils & filters changed and used it from almost 6 months time driving almost 5000 kms before starting the upgradation process. After being learned from the experiences during the rebuilding process of our first gypsy with the local garage guys around the town, this time what ever repairs & upgradation going to be done on this vehicle will be only with the maruti dealer workshop.

We approached the maruti delear workshop in alleppey - Hercules Automobiles, initially they were not very convinced with the rebuilding project which is quite normal with most of the dealer workshops but thing changed when we met their body shop manager Mr. Pramod and the senior body shop technican Mr. Binu both of them were so excited & passionate to undertake all the mods we planned. I must specially thank both of them for the professionalism & seincerity displayed during the course of repairs.

To start with the main mods planned are -

Power steering
Full body painting
Complete mechanical overhaul for brakes & suspension (soften the rear leaf spring)
Replace the stock seats with better seat (5 Seater configuration)
Better roof & roll cage
Alloy wheels & tyres
Replace all the worn out & faded plastic components

Let the pictures speak further starting with the stock condition of the vehicle -
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy King - Redefined-adscn4429.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-adscn4500.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-adscn4433.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-asam_0548.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-a31032011185.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-adscn4482.jpg  

Last edited by Anil Vincent : 7th February 2012 at 16:42.
Old 5th February 2012, 19:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Gypsy King - Redefined

Nice pictures. Looks anew. Gypsy always looks charming and emits a go-anywhere
attitude. Really a King.

Will be great if you could share more details of modifications and costs.

Last edited by mayuresh : 5th February 2012 at 19:03.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:57   #3
BHPian

This is the same one posted in the pics thread that was procured in Chandigarh, right? Looks like a very clean specimen, how well does the ST hold up against the rain in Kerala?
Old 6th February 2012, 11:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
After doing up our first Gypsy the 1994 model MG410W it is stronly felt that the Gypsy definetly need some extra muscles and this is how we landed with the new 2006 model Gypsy King MPFI (MG413W).
Congrats on the purchase Anil and wish you may miles of driving pleasure!!

Quote:
This time we planed to build a much more practical vehicle, comfortable long distance cruiser, sitting 5 peoples comfortably,
Long distance cruising and comfort are not the Gypsy's strengths as I am sure you would know. At the most the driver and the passenger would be comfortable in a gypsy with some modifications to the springs and the shocks. However anyone in the back is not going to be happy for more than a couple of hours.
Having said that I did do a 6.5k km trip last year with a friend and was very happy that I did it in my gypsy but then there were just the 2 of us.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Nice pictures. Looks anew. Gypsy always looks charming and emits a go-anywhere
attitude. Really a King.

Will be great if you could share more details of modifications and costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
This is the same one posted in the pics thread that was procured in Chandigarh, right? Looks like a very clean specimen, how well does the ST hold up against the rain in Kerala?
Thanks Mayuresh & Shyam, i will keep updating the thread soon as time allows, with all the modifictaion & cost involved.

Yes this vehicle is bought from Chandigarh and transported to Kerala, the vehilce is in good condition yet there are some minor issues overall, you siad it correct the soft top doesnt serves well during the monsoon, we will be changing it soon with better alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Congrats on the purchase Anil and wish you may miles of driving pleasure!!

Long distance cruising and comfort are not the Gypsy's strengths as I am sure you would know. At the most the driver and the passenger would be comfortable in a gypsy with some modifications to the springs and the shocks. However anyone in the back is not going to be happy for more than a couple of hours.
Having said that I did do a 6.5k km trip last year with a friend and was very happy that I did it in my gypsy but then there were just the 2 of us.
Thanks my friend, what we got in mind to make it comfortable is mainly to replace the stock seats by better ones and also to replace the rear bench seats by forward facing one, we are also removing one leaf from each rear side to make it more soft as it will no longer carry six passengers at the rear. Better shocks are also in consideration please adive if you know any good shockabsorber setup & brand.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th February 2012 at 14:57. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks my friend, what we got in mind to make it comfortable is mainly to replace the stock seats by better ones and also to replace the rear bench seats by forward facing one, we are also removing one leaf from each rear side to make it more soft as it will no longer carry six passengers at the rear. Better shocks are also in consideration please adive if you know any good shockabsorber setup & brand.
there are plenty of after market shocks available but I feel you should first change the rear leaf springs to CFLs and then proceed with other mods. They will have the single biggest impact on the ride quality of your gypsy.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:21   #7
BHPian

After cfl's what can be done, further?
What would be ideal replacement seats for the front two?
Old 6th February 2012, 14:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Anil congrats.
I too have a Gypsy on which want to change to CFL springs and softer shocks. Can someone help on where I can get this done in Mumbai, with some costs ideas?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Anil congrats.
I too have a Gypsy on which want to change to CFL springs and softer shocks. Can someone help on where I can get this done in Mumbai, with some costs ideas?
Thanks my friend, i am also intrested in CFL but not now, probabaly after trying my gypsy with softned rear leaf spring, if it is still hard to sit at the rear seat.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:09   #10
BHPian

We got the gypsy re-registered in kerale before leaving it with the workshop for the modifications to avoid any RTO consequences during the registration process. Here are some more pics with both the gypsy's together the elder (1994 -MG410) and the younger brother (2006 - MG413), in my personnel opinion the elder one looks much more impressive than the younger one.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy King - Redefined-img_0811.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-img_0808.jpg  

Gypsy King - Redefined-img_0810.jpg  

Anil Vincent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 13:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Anil congrats.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...f-roading.html

Please refer to the thread link posted above. This might help you. Last heard costs of Rear CFLs for the Gypsy was 10k (This was in early 2011)
Old 8th February 2012, 14:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Please refer to the thread link posted above. This might help you. Last heard costs of Rear CFLs for the Gypsy was 10k (This was in early 2011)
Thank you very much! Since you are from Mumbai, do you know who can do this swap job for me? Mine is a 2010 Gypsy.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you very much! Since you are from Mumbai, do you know who can do this swap job for me?
Old 8th February 2012, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Speak to Danny Maniar from MKRAFT. He will source and fit the springs for you.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:15   #15
BANNED

Quote:

They are now 14K.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks