Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 06:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2000 Armada Grand 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Just like you, I have also changed from the XDP 4.9 to the XD3P and its noticeably smoother, and powerful.

I'm not entirely knowledgeable, but why do you want to change to T18? Can the Borg Warner made manual? If so, I guess you will get the added advantage of FFRA, which I guess you have now?

With 4.88 differential ratio, BA10, and on these tyres, may I ask what is the top speed you are getting? Or does the engine start screaming over 90?

I think flushing the cooling system, and the fuel system immediately after buying a used vehicle (Jeep) is a good idea. I do that, and has worked positively
1) I didnt change the engine, i was comparing it with my other real jeep - a CJ340 with XDP4.90

2) Doesnt matter for FFRA. T18 for tension free ownership exp, but am not sure if drive line angle from extreme right to center will cause any unwanted problems - but with 100+ WB I think it shd be ok... Arka? Help...

3) nope - no screaming even at 100, but i backed down to 90 because i just couldnt drive a 4-leaf LWB with just me (chennai-hosur 325Kms, bouncing all the way) at such speeds!

4) YEP - I realized even though the color may be green - its properties are long gone!! Just like the other fluids in the jeep - getting it flushed and refilled right AWAY!

-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Looks great and think of keying in the buying experience and pricing along with more interior pictures would be informative.
Happy smiling miles.
Buying exp was just like any other... I saw the ad on Tbhp, spoke to the cell# and realized it belonged to his dad's elder brother (Peri-appa in Tamil), A retired DCP, I spoke many times over phone and get a feel of the history and its usage pattern and finally spoke to ExDCP himself and promised I will pick it up on saturday, just needed some time to sell my nano and arrange some cash...

Got on a bus on friday night with inner-chaddi pockets full of cash (DD wasnt welcome obvious reasons), got down in north chennai, took a loooong city bus ride (wanted to AVOID auto/taxi!!) and got down at velachery where a friend of mine said he will give a ride for the next 20Kms (and promptly slept off!!) - I took another bus, got down in a tiny hamlet - Pallikaranai, had 4 idly, 1 vada and 1 kaapi for 24Rs (YES! in chennai), where the Ad' person came in his CJ500 Jeep and drove me another 5Kms to a quiet retirement colony and after 1-2hours of testing, driving, talking, etc etc settled for 2L~...

People may say it was on higher side, but fits my requirements and thats what matters...

Post payment, spent a Good 30mins filling up Form 29, 30, sale receipt, delivery note, checked insurance papers, battery warranty papers, gave a copy of my DL for ID Proof, etc etc... and started off.

Before this, a little flashback - just like buying any old vehicle, I carried a hell lot of recovery gear, tow rope, D-Shackles, misc things like multimeter, 2Ltr engine oil, 1 TVS Brake fluid can, rest i forgot... I made sure over phone there is a JACK and WHEEL Spanner PRESENT in the jeep and in working condition. Buying process included lying down below the entire length of the jeep and checking for cuts/welds/rust etc etc... none - GOOD.

FlashFront - came on to main road, filled tank 1st around half - waited for any leaks, none - proceeded to FILL her up, and then hit the road. 4:30hours and 325~Kms later I was home!! BUT not yet!!

Went straight to my jeep mechs place at 4Ish - spent 2 hours to change the engine oil, filters and open all 4 brakes and clean/check and refit and then went home to show to my family...

Sunday went without any incident and 1st thing on monday I applied for the name transfer in RTO (agent) and intimated the seller of the same. Once I get the papers I am obliged to send a photocopy (xerox) of the same back to the Gentleman...

Post monday, till thursday I have been steadily getting these things done at a slow pace...

1) Getting rid of all plastic parts
2) Changed all GB/TC/Front&Rear Diff Oils
3) All 4 HUBS Greased, out of 4 rear bearings 3 were busted due to water in them!!
4) All brake pads are Good for time being
5) Fit FWH on monday evening itself - cant believe this jeep ran for 12years and 150000Kms without them - poor thing!! (My CJ340 ran for 20 yrs 6months without them!!!)
6) Fixed a thud noise from front thanks to a few bushes (30Rs approx) in horizontal stabilizer bar (Balancing rod as fondly called by my mech) All other shackle bushes are good for time being.

Contd....

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th April 2012 at 06:45.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 06:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People may say it was on higher side, but fits my requirements and thats what matters...
Very true. The vehicle looks marvelous. Two years ago I paid 1.5L for an Alto of 1000 vintage.
As you said please don't remove the plastics for keeps as that will spoil the looks. The better option would be to source spare ones and keep for the future.
One more question what are the points/symptoms that made you to assess that the engine needs an overhaul in another 25K kms? Is it the kms covered alone.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th April 2012 at 06:44.
Old 13th April 2012, 06:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Today is set aside for electrical checkup!!

1) Remember I said multimeter ^ - while buying i confirmed alternator in running and battery in idle state are good!

2) No oil/fluid leaks from alternator - yes, this is the vacuum type where brake fluid enters and may mess up the alternator due to bad maintenance - so just in case checking the oil seals and misc coils, brushes, etc inside the alternator for its health.

3) NOT opening the starter motor since it sounds - well, like nothing - so not getting messy now!

4) Water spray onto front glass not working, loose connection

5) Power windows takes it own time, channel is all messed up and needs realignment - I will check on feasibility of making it manual...

6) Planning to open up the speedo console and change all bulbs - very DIM in night time!!

7) MAIN JOB - Adding a fan in front grill with direct switch during those overheating days!!

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
As you said please don't remove the plastics for keeps as that will spoil the looks.
Removing them because dont want to break them during OTR's Keeping them safe for future use... dont worry. I never bothered about looks in any of my vehicles... Can you imagine driving a CJ with a modded grill - Yuck!! But I didnt care!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th April 2012 at 06:55.
Old 13th April 2012, 09:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Can you imagine driving a CJ with a modded grill - Yuck!! But I didnt care!!
Dear Santosh,
Congratulations on Grand 4x4.

It's one of rare 4x4 available. Please share all mods & happenings in future also.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10) Electric shift to be removed shortly in lieu of a smart product from USA.
Santosh Ji,
is this the same product which was used by another bhpian in his grand. Can you please share the details (from where to buy and how much to pay).
Honestly one of the first thing you should do is to remove electric shifter...had a very bad experience....it never works when you need it most

Shubhendra Singh
Old 13th April 2012, 10:59   #21
BHPian

I will say just one word - envy you.
Congrats on the purchase and trying to get some time to visit Hosur.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) No oil/fluid leaks from alternator - yes, this is the vacuum type where brake fluid enters and may mess up the alternator due to bad maintenance - so just in case checking the oil seals and misc coils, brushes, etc inside the alternator for its health.

7) MAIN JOB - Adding a fan in front grill with direct switch during those overheating days!!
- Not opening up the alternator - electrician said that even to just open and refit i need to change the oil seals and cutout/relay(?) - approx 800 for parts - not worth it on a perfectly working alternator.

- Got a Maruti800 fan for 500Rs and currently WIP, fits perfectly inside plastic grill and it works super!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
It's one of rare 4x4 available. Please share all mods & happenings in future also.
Sure... thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
is this the same product which was used by another bhpian in his grand. Can you please share the details (from where to buy and how much to pay)
Yes see more here Easily Convert Your Electric BorgWarner Transfer Case to Manual Operation! | The Shiftster

The buy link will take you to Paypal site and just use your card to make the purchase. I would suggest you give a call to Richard's Mobile phone 1st to check for stock and then also ask for shipping to India direct (costs max 20$ as per him) - i had a friend inside USA who is bringing it for me. Too bad it is still ergonomic unfriendly but hey, better than walking back home from a trail...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
I will say just one word - envy you.
Congrats on the purchase and trying to get some time to visit Hosur.
You are welcome, come soon!!
Old 13th April 2012, 13:12   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
6) Planning to open up the speedo console and change all bulbs - very DIM in night time!!
It might be just dust also, just open the bulbs and clean them and use ear buds to clean the cover for the bulb which sits in the speedo side.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congrats !!

you got a nice maintained vehicle.

be very cautious while removing the bulbs in the console, as you can damage them quit easily and finding replacement will not be easy.

i am facing similar issue with may armada.

but your console is different from mine so the bulbs in them can be different.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 13th April 2012, 14:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^This might not be the right thread to ask this question but while we are at discussing armadas, what's the status of yours? There is not much update on your thread these days.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:37   #26
BHPian

Gear Buy svsantosh,

Congratulations. Its a great car and was immensely popular in Himachal Pradesh in the late 90's .

The govenment had their MS gypsies and the private landowners always had one of these to tame the terrain.
You can still spot plenty of these in Upper Shimla and Kinnaur

U just rekindled some childhood memories of mine
Old 13th April 2012, 15:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It might be just dust also, just open the bulbs and clean them and use ear buds to clean the cover for the bulb which sits in the speedo side.
I learnt the OE bulbs have a greenish output? Electrician said he will put white ones this time to enhance visibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
i am facing similar issue with may armada.
but your console is different from mine so the bulbs in them can be different
thx - will ask electrician to take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
U just rekindled some childhood memories of mine
thx...

---------------

This is the maruti800 fan I was talking about - work is still WIP, taking it nice and easy. This mod also let me see the grill and the juggad headlight setup to accomodate DC's wet plasticky dreamz!! Also I can now see the PS leaky mess - need to soak in diesel and clean it tomm with pressure wash!

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-photo0099.jpg
Old 13th April 2012, 16:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

This would make a great Himalayan trekker up here where I am. You might ask your mech to check the grounding (earthing) of your instrument lights.

You have got yourself a lot of vehicle for the money, it looks like.
Old 13th April 2012, 16:58   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh - this is a very good vehicle. If you want mechanical shift transfer case, tell me. Gajanan Chitale of Borg Warner is the guy to approach.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th April 2012, 18:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This would make a great Himalayan trekker up here where I am. You might ask your mech to check the grounding (earthing) of your instrument lights.

You have got yourself a lot of vehicle for the money, it looks like.
Thanks Dirty Dan.

- LOLZ - my mech begs to differ!! but who cares, i have no buyers guilt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Santosh - this is a very good vehicle. If you want mechanical shift transfer case, tell me. Gajanan Chitale of Borg Warner is the guy to approach
Dear Dhabhar Sir,

I am glad you commented here... believe it or not I was thinking of you sometime this week, after a series of oil changes and on a open highway with no one by my side, I was pushing the jeep thru each gear... It was like, 20, 40, 60, 70, 90+ thru each gears, with the comfort of a super chill AC and a insurance policy of the disc brake and a complete steel tub around me- I was actually beginning to realize what you have managed to accomplish!!!

I virtually felt 1 step closer to Thar (and away from a CJ) and God Willing, In the near future I will eventually get a thar just for its sheer power and driving comfort (I am not going down the offroading lane)... Of course it will be a used 2012 (with AC) one, and say get a nice hardtop and some offroading goodies and enjoy it the same way I am enjoying the Armada Grand now...!!

Thanks Dhabhar Sir...

Back to Manual BW TCase, Sir, Did you get a chance to look at the shiftster product, I know you will find it wanting for more but for now thats all I can afford - for 3000 Odd Rs, It eliminated the electric shift once and for all... I cant afford a fully OE solution for a swap (i think its upwards of 20K~ for parts alone)

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2012 at 12:55. Reason: Do NOT use SMS language on this forum
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks