Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2000 Armada Grand 4WD

Mods Please merge with above.

In my quest to learn more about trouble shooting a ESOF BW1356, i came across this superb link - all due to credits to respective owner.

1989 Ford Truck F 250 4WD Pickup V8-460 7.5L - Diagnosis of the Electric Shift 4 X 4
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
got some fan pics at last! not the best ones but good to know!
^ sutripto - the manual shifter is a well engineered part needing max 20mins time to just bolt on. spoke to a current owner of the part.
Workmanship wise, would the electric fan be an OE fitting?

Drawing of shifter: for us!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Workmanship wise, would the electric fan be an OE fitting?

Drawing of shifter: for us!

Regards
Sutripta
Sir - the fan in pic is OE! Hard to believe I guess. It came with the AG.

Regarding the manual shifter - read more here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2663697

Some screen shots from the company's youtube video. Also a pic of charan's AG's manual shifter. He has done a simple mod of a access door between the 2 front seats for access from inside the jeep, otherwise it is a difficult job to go under the jeep every time to change the 2h4h4l..!

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-1.jpg
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Couple of updates.

1) Got some minor tinkering job done on both front fenders, had corroded in a few places. (paint touch up tommorow).

2) While braking in slow speed (1st gear, in traffic, 5-10KmPH) I noticed a soft thud and jerk in the steering as if the whole vehicle beyond the wheel lurches forward. It felt as if the whole front axle was stopping but nothing above/around it difficult to explain!

Got my mechanic to check all the nuts & bolts and didnt find the problem. Then he had a crazy idea and put the jeep on the concrete ramp to check for underbody pinnings, we had about 5-7 feet of driveable space on the ramp before i rolled down back OR hit the wall in the front. He asked me drive back and forth between this small space while he would walk under the AG.

Found the culprit - AXLE WRAP!!! In front axle, i couldnt believe when he spoke in his language trying to explain AWrap. I said let me go under and you drive-brake-drive... The front leaf (non shackle side, GB side, just below the A Pedal) wraps itself under hard braking at slow speed!! Like paper - this lifts the front prop shaft and the front star joint gives out the soft thud noise. It was amazing to see something like this happen in the front axle.

His solution, get at least 1 more leaf in the front set while recambering them right away.

What say...^

3) Diesel filler hose to tank was a bit loose, when I topped to brim yesterday, wasted nearly a liter!

4) Got the tappets/valves tightened/tuned, they were clanking away to glory.

5) Discarded all the power window relays from under-hood fuse box, didnt want any accidental current wastage/shorting, left the switches on the dash as it is, would look empty and silly.

6) Will get paint touched up tommorow and post some pics. PS - Hope to remove the sun film thanks to recent SC Ruling!

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd May 2012 at 18:29.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 21:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

One of the few things possible only in such a muv! I have never had any guy climb my cars to clean it!! Just a sec ago this dude was walking on the roof!! thank god he was a thin dude!

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-photo0153.jpg

After this water wash the dude did the ago old method of filling/flushing the silencer pipe with pressure water and I floored the accelerator to flush out the water and all the soot/carbon over the years. For some reason every time I do this in any diesel engine vehicle - engine feels smooth for the next few weeks! Dont know if its in my mind or real science behind it? (exhaust gases flowing more freely now?)

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-photo0154.jpg

Also got some rust spots tinkered (minor) and thought while i save on some new alloys/tyres let me try a black rim look - i personally like it.

Sigh - also due to current confusion over sun films, decided to remove them myself. The 3rd row is stuck very well, wouldn't come out easily, left it for now.

Tomorrow I am traveling with family to chennai for 2 days, will post report upon return.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Back from a 750Km round trip to chennai, loved the space and AC inside, did not exceed 90Kmph (had a infant inside), and got a average of 13KmPl, I am surprised that I got so much from a 150K Kms engine. May be the FWH helped a LOT!

The thud noise persists and is getting irritating. I will check the leafs ASAP. Meanwhile the shiftster part has reached Bangalore, but I wont see it until this week end, I cant wait to fit it!
Old 12th May 2012, 15:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Installed the shiftster - works super! Sorry no pics, but you can refer to charan's AG link in previous posts.

PS - If this turns up on any internet search - MAKE SURE TO BE IN NEUTRAL (with a wheel chock) to install this device. Also its imperative to be in neutral gear to engage any of the 3 positions. Dont you THINK you can park the jeep in 1st or rev gear with engine off and get underneath to engage this - you will only waste your time - like I did waste the 1st 15 mins

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-photo0174.jpg

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th March 2013 at 09:53. Reason: done as requested :)
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Spike, MM gurus,

Can any one tell me if the 3rd window outer perimeter on the Armada and AGrand are same? I want to retrofit the slider glass window on my AG (have a good deal on exchange from a scrap dealer, few 100Rs!).

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-dsc0391920medium.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51991.jpg
Old 24th May 2012, 12:35   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I floored the accelerator to flush out the water and all the soot/carbon over the years. ------ For some reason every time I do this in any diesel engine vehicle - engine feels smooth for the next few weeks! .
Should be because of the standing italian tune up job you did.

Quote:
Can any one tell me if the 3rd window outer perimeter on the Armada and AGrand are same? I want to retrofit the slider glass window on my AG (have a good deal on exchange from a scrap dealer, few 100Rs!)
From security stand point this is a bad idea, those sliding glass can be opened in under 2 minutes. So if you plan to keep valuables inside, i would say avoid it. Instead plug in those small fans for the rear area.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Lol... cant help the stand up job, my trusted pressure wash shop, have to give him a free rein!

The 3rd Qtr glass mod is nearly decided, spoke to spike and confirmed those die's never changed since Anand.M passed +2! Security not a big concern as of now, can live with(out) it. Awaiting a certain sky blue commander 750DP in my town to be broken up to scavenge that part!
Old 24th May 2012, 21:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike, MM gurus,

Can any one tell me if the 3rd window outer perimeter on the Armada and AGrand are same? I want to retrofit the slider glass window on my AG (have a good deal on exchange from a scrap dealer, few 100Rs!).
If it looks the same, it is the same! For MM one die fits all.

But why? The AG has/ had a pretty good AC.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th May 2012, 22:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

The last time i went 7 adults + 1 infant, few of them were non-AC guys, meaning, there are people who feel high only when a blast of dusty air hits their face! My mum included. Wife and I hate that feeling! Sigh! So, for last 2 jump seats need some ventilation.
Old 17th June 2012, 19:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Fooled around sunday morning and used the shiftster for the 1st time.

Tyres, lack of articulation, sidestep, all contributed to the dumb attempt at some offroading!
Old 17th June 2012, 20:14   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fooled around sunday morning and used the shiftster for the 1st time.
Santosh Ji, am I hearing the reverse gear alarm? If so, can you please remove that horrid thing!!

Quote:
Tyres, lack of articulation, sidestep, all contributed to the dumb attempt at some offroading!
Isnt the Grand NGCS?.. hmmm... I had an NGCS chassis at my disposal, now, I guess I'll have to re-think. As for road use, I have my car, and ~50+ kms in a C-Section is OK.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

1) This is a road use vehicle and with lot of kids (more important impatient bikers) I need that reverse alarm. PS - already nearly banged a auto in the 1st week while reversing out of a hotel in my town, i justified that he squeezed thru even after he heard the alarm! and got away!

2) NGCS had nothing to do/not-to-do with this video. As I said nearly worn out bridgestone HT tyres, highway PSI, stupid side-step, (me not at the wheel)!, front horizontal anti-sway bar (articu loss) caused this sad scene.

This vehicle would make a great offroader (not the best) with some decent mods like 31 MT tyres, 5.38, locker-rear/lsd-front...!! (SPOA would be killer!)
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks