Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

2000 Armada Grand 4WD

On 7-apr-2012 I purchased this Armada Grand with Electric Shift 4x4 from Chennai. It is in decent nick, well looked after both by owner and the harsh humid/salty chennai air. Minimal body rust which can be fixed in no time, chassis and drive train in good condition. 4WD used seldom in tea estates of T.N, but never into hardcore offroading. Engine looks a genuine 150,500Kms per ODO, needing a rebuild say in another 25-30K Kms MAX.

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51729.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51991.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51992.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51993.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51994.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51995.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51996.jpg

2000 Armada Grand 4WD-picture_51997.jpg

These pics were posted on TBhp classifieds and taken 4 days before purchase date - so pretty much in good nice I say.

BUT - It is no where close to what it is today already some 'uncessary' fiber parts have been discarded which may eventually have been donated to nature on trails...

Some initial observations (After driving a CJ340-XDP4.90-KMT90-T18-5.38-SWB for 3 years)

1) Power of XD3P is noticeably better and smoother

2) BA10 GB is a BIG welcome for highway driving for its smoothness and the much needed 5th Gear

3) Electric 4x4 works in HIGH Range - how to check if it works on LOW by JUST looking at the lights on Dash? In Low - the 4WDH stays on and 4WDL blinks!! Is this how it is supposed to be?

4) AC is a BIG - YAY!! Works like a charm... (There was no Heater in Grand)

5) Power Steering is a another YAYYAYYAY!! Super Welcome from a CJ!!

6) DISC BRAKES in front and Hydraulic Clutch are WELCOME...!!

7) Power windows and central locking are working to give a car feel!!

8) Rear jumper seats are only for kids <5 years old!!

--------------------

Highway driving is super smooth thx to the mix of engine, GB, LWB and AC/PwrStr...

Large fuel tank (Is it 60Ltrs?) helps in fewer pit stops.

SuperWide 58" front (or is it 57") & rear 53" Track width adds to planted road presence - but all 4 leafs makes it slightly bumpy - OE Company sticker on driver door recomends 23-25PSi for unladen drives (max 2-3 people).

Outer perimeter 8 shackle bushes are silent type, inner 4 are grease type.

BorgWarner TC has rear output from center, and a right offset front output.

Chassis (just below middle bench) has a HUGE inverted U to allow the CENTER rear propshaft - CAN this accomodate a RIGHT OFFSET T18's shaft?

This is currently my daily drive with a slighter purpose of a occasional family weekend offroader if called for. Fits my purpose and purse to the T and any day I am happier with my jeep mechanic than a Stupid showroom (any brand) who knows Zilch...

More updates coming soon... Please feel free to comment and answer some of my questions above...
svsantosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2000 Armada Grand 4WD

Santosh Ji,
Congratulations, good decision to buy this vehicle. We had this vehicle for few months. Look for overheating when you drive at 90-100 kmph with AC on.
we faced this issue and simple solution is to put a electric fan of Fiat Palio.
just my 2 cents.

Shubhendra Singh

Last edited by Shubhendra : 12th April 2012 at 15:56. Reason: typo error
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:57   #3
BHPian

Congrats !!

This beast looks in immaculate condition. One query, I was under the impression that manual shift is better than the electric shift in a 4x4 any given day. Is there some credibility to this fact or is it just a myth ?
Old 12th April 2012, 16:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh, that's why you were there at jeepster thread asking few questions, congrats.

Is this Nano's replacement?
Old 12th April 2012, 16:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Look for overheating when you drive at 90-100 kmph with AC on
I am hoping even a Indica's Electric Fan will work? (Plenty in my town's scrap market...) And BINGO - yesterday I left the vehicle in blistering sun in parking lot with AC full speed for my family inside - when I came back after 15 mins - the coolant tank was bubbling and oozing coolant on the road and temp gauge was nearing the danger zone, started to drive and immediately it came down, thx to the flow of air whilst moving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Is there some credibility to this fact or is it just a myth
Electric shift sucks, google around for 'problems of borg warner electric 4x4 shift' - i already ordered a insurance policy thanks to 'Charan', getting it soon... Keep watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Is this Nano's replacement?
yes, 'TATA' Nano

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th April 2012 at 16:15.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats svsantosh. The vehiclelook to be in immaculate condition. The previous owner must have maintained it very well. Have you been looking for such a vehicle or was it an impulsive buy? One observation is that the front wheel hub is not jutting out like my Bolero 4x4. Is it different?
Old 12th April 2012, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I am hoping even a Indica's Electric Fan will work? (Plenty in my town's scrap market...) And BINGO - yesterday I left the vehicle in blistering sun in parking lot with AC full speed for my family inside - when I came back after 15 mins - the coolant tank was bubbling and oozing coolant on the road and temp gauge was nearing the danger zone, started to drive and immediately it came down, thx to the flow of air whilst moving...
I tried Indica fan in Gypsy 410 and it worked satisfactory. Palio fan was my mechanic's idea and we simply implemented it. If i am not wrong Grand has old metal radiator not aluminium one. if that is the case, then i suggest you to go for big radiator.
even after installing Palio fan in grand, overheating issues were reduced to a great extent but not eliminated.
I believe, if you opt for big radiator and electric fan, it may eliminate overheating problem.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 17:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Santhosh this indeed is a good buy, am sure a little bit of rejuvenation will do wonders. WRT engine i understand usual a ring job and head cleaning will give you another 50k with these engines, if done on time. Do check on this with the guru's.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 18:42   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. This one looks well maintained. I have seen it in classifieds section and thought of it, but then I didn't bother since it is in a different state.

Are all the pictures of the same vehicle? the first pic which I also saw in classifieds has the Bolero wheelcaps, while other pics sport TATA Sumo wheelcaps. I remember this as a KA vechicle.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:52   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. This is one car I always liked to travel in. I use to travel in this car the armada GRAND when I was a kid. Did multiple mumbai pune trips in it and use to love it. Back in it's days, it was one of the most comfortable cars in it's segments. Wish I could drive it now.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:02   #11
BHPian

Well maintained vehicle in good shape. IMHO remove the fiber claddings before the seven slat grill and bring back the CJ looks.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I know exactly how you feel. I had a 500DP as my daily drive/ tourer, and then the Grand.
Which FIP do you have CAV or Bosch?
Lights blinking: Shifting in progress, or error.
Check for leaks in the power steering system.
As the power windows go bad, replace them with manual winders.
AC: running R12 or R134A?
If starting problems, first check self starter, the battery and cables. FIP/ engine last.
Throw out the rear jump seats.
Calibrate speedo/ odo. (Mine used to overread by ~20%.)

You are a seasoned jeeper now, so things like bolts dropping on your feet, or a bit of overheating here and there shouldn't scare you!

So now you have the 340 for OTRs and the Grand for Ladakh. Congrats.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th April 2012, 22:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Have you been looking for such a vehicle or was it an impulsive buy? One observation is that the front wheel hub is not jutting out like my Bolero 4x4. Is it different?
1) Been on lookout for a SUV/MUV for last 1 month to replace nano - got this
2) This came with fixed flange for the front hubs, now it juts out with the new FWH from lambda - wait a day for new avatar pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
If i am not wrong Grand has old metal radiator not aluminium one. if that is the case, then i suggest you to go for big radiator.
even after installing Palio fan in grand, overheating issues were reduced to a great extent but not eliminated.
I believe, if you opt for big radiator and electric fan, it may eliminate overheating problem
Thx a ton - already requested electrician bhai to procure a working indica fan from scrap ASAP - tomm 1st thing is this work along with misc electrical check ups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...a ring job and head cleaning will give you another 50k with these engines, if done on time. Do check on this with the guru's.
Hmm, may be a good idea... let me check...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Are all the pictures of the same vehicle? the first pic which I also saw in classifieds has the Bolero wheelcaps, while other pics sport TATA Sumo wheelcaps. I remember this as a KA vechicle.
Good observation - i was the 1st pic was quite a few months old, had a shunt with a Auto (traffic signal) and lost the left fender and ORVM, front bumper Etc...

edit - thinking abt it - may be the owner just picked up a pic frm internet to show a grand!! mods - can u delete the 1st pic plz - even the current number plate size doesnt match the one in the pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Wish I could drive it now.
thx... still brings a smile to my face compared to a old world jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
IMHO remove the fiber claddings before the seven slat grill and bring back the CJ looks.
Pics tomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Which FIP do you have CAV or Bosch?
1) Will check

Lights blinking: Shifting in progress, or error.
2) Error mostly!!

Check for leaks in the power steering system.
3) PS Motor in front covered in oil, cleaned with diesel for now and awaiting to see the exact point of leak - any pointers?

As the power windows go bad, replace them with manual winders.
4) Is the door frame compatible readily with manual system?

AC: running R12 or R134A?
5) Will Check

If starting problems, first check self starter, the battery and cables. FIP/ engine last.
6) ok

Throw out the rear jump seats.
7) ok

8) How?

You are a seasoned jeeper now, so things like bolts dropping on your feet, or a bit of overheating here and there shouldn't scare you!
9) You bet!! not at all alarmed with approach to bring this back to glory

So now you have the 340 for OTRs and the Grand for Ladakh
10) You are a dangerous MAN!!
--------------

Some updates after purchase:

1) Got all oils changed - she runs beautifully now
2) She was mechanically maintained in a bad state, may be without the knowledge of the owner thx to a bad mechanic!!
3) Engine oil drain bolt would not budge loose, spanner/allenkey point was butchered - no wonder oil was like grease
4) Same issue with GB/TC Bolts!! - oil was wine red color here!!
5) SAME DAMN Issue with diffs - got them gas heated out and put new oil filler bolts!!
6) Yoke was DRY!! Filled it with grease now.
7) Horizontal Stabilizer Bar bushes changed thx to a thud noise!
8) FWH's fit.
9) Most of plastic parts removed for storage
10) Electric shift to be removed shortly in lieu of a smart product from USA.
11) She currently has 9-44 (4.88) Diff ratio!

Complete electrical work/checkup tomm...

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th April 2012 at 22:44.
Old 13th April 2012, 01:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the buy Santosh!!.. Wishing you many happy highway/OTR miles in this machine.

Just like you, I have also changed from the XDP 4.9 to the XD3P and its noticeably smoother, and powerful.

Quote:
Chassis (just below middle bench) has a HUGE inverted U to allow the CENTER rear propshaft - CAN this accomodate a RIGHT OFFSET T18's shaft?
I'm not entirely knowledgeable, but why do you want to change to T18? Can the Borg Warner made manual? If so, I guess you will get the added advantage of FFRA, which I guess you have now?

Quote:
4) Is the door frame compatible readily with manual system?
Yes, it should be.
Quote:
11) She currently has 9-44 (4.88) Diff ratio!
With 4.88 differential ratio, BA10, and on these tyres, may I ask what is the top speed you are getting? Or does the engine start screaming over 90?
Quote:
the coolant tank was bubbling and oozing coolant on the road and temp gauge was nearing the danger zone
I think flushing the cooling system, and the fuel system immediately after buying a used vehicle (Jeep) is a good idea. I do that, and has worked positively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi Sutripta, how does one do that! I've been wondering for long, as my Jeep has an error of about ~25% due to upsize tyres.

Thanks,

Dhanush
Old 13th April 2012, 06:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks great and think of keying in the buying experience and pricing along with more interior pictures would be informative.
Happy smiling miles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks