Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 14:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I don't have freewheeling hubs right now, just a flange. I might go for FWH in few months. The tendency of nuts falling off from the Lambda FWH is a concern though.
Hmmm.....and I thought somebody stole my left hub...one thing about original hubs, nobody much notices them and wants them and so you are a bit more secure.

Maybe I missed it but did you sell your CJ340 yet?
Old 7th December 2012, 15:12   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Yet to fit FWHs? And how is life without CFL?
I will be doing many mods over the next months, FWH can wait. Ride is not bad, will stick to OE for now.

Quote:
Since you have a BPillar now, let me suggest you a unique thing never seen on a jeep. Get the safari type dual AC (behind/above your shoulder), just in case you plan to travel with people in the rear seats (planning for foward facing?). Also get a B-Pillar rollup velcro-lock curtain just in case you want to only njoy the front blower will be a one off ride!!
Thanks of suggestion, will keep in mind.

Quote:
Try the ironman shocks in case you want to avoid the CFL cost (only on rear both), they make a difference on a 540
What is the part number of Ironman shocks for MM550?

Quote:
snorkel, locker?...
All in good time.

Quote:
Edit - The BA10 had a adaptor to connect to the T19 Tcase? Do you have it or gave it away?
It is on Prabhu's red MM550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Regarding AC from my experience i would share you few things: 1) Select the right compressor, by default AC mechs love to go for over size stuff for "super" cooling. This will result in engine overheating, loss of power etc. Instead my suggestion do the best in heat insulation on firewall, floor and roof trim, the cabin area etc using a plastic partition after you put a front facing seat, so that excess area is cut off. Then select one of the modern comp unit which is efficient. 2) Use new parts for compressor, tubes and coils. This will give you atleast a decade of trouble free service.
Thanks, will keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have used synthetic once in the Indica(again an old gearbox, 2002 vehicle), and the difference was immediately apparent.
I suspect KMT90 is lot older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Maybe I missed it but did you sell your CJ340 yet?
Not yet. I put it on sale just two days back. http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ra/CJ340.html/
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 15:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get the safari type dual AC (behind/above your shoulder), just in case you plan to travel with people in the rear seats (planning for foward facing?).
The Safari rear Ac(EX and above) cooling coil is routed from under the vehicle. Often it corrodes very easily(esp if you are doing water fording regularly), and when that happens, you lose AC gas. I therefore suggest to go for a simple AC. The jeep cabin is not really big that it requires the roof AC.
Old 7th December 2012, 15:45   #19
BHPian

Hi Samurai San

Congratulations on the buy !

Happy jeeping.

Regards
W_C
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 17:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, 1st of all congrats for the new acquisition. I knew that something like this was always on the cards, however i thought probably you would go with the new THAR (with factory fitted AC)+a decent aftermarket hardtop combination. But the price proposition is indeed ridiculous! In a stock form i think this is the best value for money option you have chosen, the AC can always be retrofitted. Though i am not a very big fan of the typical look of this type of Ropla's hardtop, but somehow the overall colour combination with the black top looks excellent. The rear bumper with hi-lift looks really cool. Any plan to change the rear seats to forward facing ones? BTW, never spotted Sreeraj's jeep in the classified. As per i recall, that was almost a brand new jeep when he bought it. Wishing many safe adventurous miles ahead with your new jeep.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 17:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, congrats on the MM550. Definitely a whole lot more usable.
My suggestions.
1) Go for a Unicla Blower and a new 507 compressor and new multiflow condenser. The older ones use R12 and that could be a problem
2) Go for the ironman shocks and the CFLs.

What happened to the 550 diff with LSD?
Old 7th December 2012, 18:50   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
1) Go for a Unicla Blower and a new 507 compressor and new multiflow condenser. The older ones use R12 and that could be a problem
Isn't 507 compressor bit too much for the XD3P?

Quote:
2) Go for the ironman shocks and the CFLs.
How much do ironman shocks for MM550 cost? What is the part number?

Quote:
What happened to the 550 diff with LSD?
That only comes in Army models, isn't it?
Old 7th December 2012, 22:47   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Sharath! Wish you many safe offroad kms with your new Jeep. With all the experience you gained on the CJ340, your 550 ownership experience should be smooth sailing. You have Jeep knowledge now, along with contacts & technical understanding. Am certain Mrs. Samurai & the boys will be delighted

Whoever buys your CJ340 is one lucky dude. You practically built it new aesthetically & mechanically, only to put it on the block eventually! I can tell you this : The 550 will be practical and keep the head satisfied. But you will always remember the CJ340; it's got unmatched emotional appeal and is more fun offroad too. Behram might have designed & built all the possible Jeeps in the world. Make him stand next to a red 340 and he's like a kid in a candy shop. I hope your CJ finds a home within the community like Khan's special Gypsy did.

Congrats again and drive safe.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2012 at 22:49.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 01:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't 507 compressor bit too much for the XD3P?
That is what the Bolero came with standard.

Quote:
That only comes in Army models, isn't it?
Right, forgot about that. Still you could swap in a 550 LSD diff to keep going till you get lockers!

Will get bavk to you on the part numbers.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th December 2012 at 21:42. Reason: fixed the quotes
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 01:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

So thats why you are online so late!!
Congratulations on your new acquistion!
Old 8th December 2012, 09:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You will always remember the CJ340. Behram might have designed & built all the possible Jeeps in the world. Make him stand next to a red 340 and he's like a kid in a candy shop.
Dear Ruahabh - you said it! I absolutely adore a red CJ340. There was one in Pune, I used to just pass by that road to see it. I don't find it there now which makes me sad! The appeal is to that extent. I just can't help it. Nothing comes close to a CJ340, not even my Thar!

Dear Sharath - please stick to the flanges. Manual lock free wheeling hub reliability is terrible. Thar automatic hubs may not be a direct fit, I have not studied so I will not comment. Stick to KMT90, if it is running OK then it is bulletproof. Please do not change transmission oil specification. Use plain and simple SAE90EP (extreme pressure), purchase it from a petrol pump only. Tooth stress is quite high in KMT90. I presume that axle ratio is 4.88:1, just leave it as it is. It will take you through 99% of the obstacles and for the remaining 1%, you have the winch. Please search for a simple metallic plate instrument panel of MM540 (it used to come in the very first models) and remove the FRP panel. You will eventually get cracks in the FRP panel, considering the articulation that you will go through. Buy a Thar South Africa rollover bar, drill holes in the body and fit it. Then strengthen the Targa band and the FRP top by connecting these aggregates to the bar. Fit two guard plates below the fuel tank, one below the other and block all holes in them. Tank guards are quite easy to find with the local secondhand parts guy. Remove the fuel tank drain plug and seal it completely by welding. And most important, if the fuel outlet banjo is at the bottom of the tank, replace the tank completely and fit the Thar tank, otherwise you will have to locally fabricate the top outlet in the existing tank. Route all fuel lines inside the C section chassis. Ensure that nothing hangs below the vehicle, nothing means absolutely nothing.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 8th December 2012 at 09:37. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 12:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sharath - please stick to the flanges. Manual lock free wheeling hub reliability is terrible. Thar automatic hubs may not be a direct fit, I have not studied so I will not comment.
There is a Scorpio 4x4 in Bangalore that has the FWH converted from the BW Automatic hubs to Lambda Manual hubs. So in theory the reverse should be possible. Between the automatic FWH in my Scorpio and Manual one in my Thar, I personally prefer the automatic one as you don't need to get down to disengage and engage the hub. Not sure about the reliability of the automatic hubs. So far there is only one person who I know had to replace in his thar as some internal broke cause lot of grinding noises. Could be a one off manufacturing defect.

Quote:
Buy a Thar South Africa rollover bar, drill holes in the body and fit it. Then strengthen the Targa band and the FRP top by connecting these aggregates to the bar.
South african roll bar is over 14K. I have fabricated one for my Thar DI with 45mm tube for about 7.5 K including painting. Will post pics in my Thread shortly. I have also fabricated a double folding front facing seat that will allow me to double flip the rear seat to carry some extra stuff.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 14:06   #28
BHPian

Samurai, thank you for a very honest, no-frills review of your buying experience. I hope that this acquisition may give you many miles of comfortable off-roading. The car looks very well maintained and your emphasis on safety features especially tyres, seat belts and brakes is admirable

I have a few questions though:

I don't intend to start a long thread of a Jeeper v Gypsy debate, but what were your personal considerations when dismissing a pre-worshipped Gypsy? This is because your other acquisitions are a petrol GV and a petrol i10 that I'm sure are used for daily running and clock many more miles.

The Gypsy's petrol engine which would through sheer brute power get it out of difficult situations is averse to the 'crawling' ability in a Jeep, but a Thar which was your earlier consideration has very similar characteristics.

I only ask this because I'm in a similar position as you were, finding the Thar to be over-priced considering that it shares so many parts with other Mahindra vehicles like the MM450, Scorpio and Bolero and looking for a bare-bones off-road vehicle for trails. I'm a newbie when it comes to off-roading and vehicles

Lastly, there's the question of after-sales and sourcing of parts between Mahindra and Maruti which is a no-brainer in Maruti's favour.
Motored Mindset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 18:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Samurai saar,

What a report !!

Quote:
Meanwhile I was subjected to rain, dust, rain, dust and did I mention rain?
Quote:
Taxi/auto drivers displayed their usual reverence towards the Jeep and kept their distance.
Quote:
And I had driven right across Bangalore without a number plate and no cop had bothered to question me. Only in the Jeep.
Privileges of a Jeep ?

Quote:
Thus I started my 400kms drive from Bangalore to Manipal armed only with wheel spanner and jack. I didn’t even bother with radiator water or other bunch of tools. Such was the confidence I had with this well prepared Jeep.
I could imagine myself going thru the purchase process when reading this report; which is an unique experience only available on TBHP.

Wish you many happy miles in your Jeep with AC (of-course) !!

I will refrain from adding any other comments as I dont know anything about jeeps.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:29   #30

Quote:
Dear Sharath - CONGRATULATIONS! .

You have come closest to what I wanted my Thar to look like externally. The black Roplas top looks wonderful. I wish you all the very best of off-roading with this wonderful vehicle. All credit goes to the dedication of people who have helped you to make this passionate vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
that's the one. done perfectly. Roplas never looked more appealing.
arshjeet singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks