Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 12:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP

Hi Samurai,

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Just wanted to point out one thing. Please do not clamp the winch cable on the pipe above the winch drum (circled in Red). It may cause damage. It is recommend to clamp the cable on the D shackle on your bumper.

Wish you many miles on & off-road with your new JEEP.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-pc040012.jpg  

Last edited by Sabareesh : 20th December 2012 at 12:27. Reason: image correction
Sabareesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 12:36   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Just wanted to point out one thing. Please do not clamp the winch cable on the pipe above the winch drum (circled in Red). It may cause damage. It is recommend to clamp the cable on the D shackle on your bumper.
You mean like this?

You are preaching to the choir. The mechanic who installed the winch had connected like that. That shot was taken 5 minutes after the bow shackle was installed, so I hadn't got around to relocate the hook.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th December 2012 at 12:38.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 12:40   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi Samurai,

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Wish you many miles on & off-road with your new JEEP.
What i use is this: (cross posting from this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...intenance.html )

Bought for $17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Winch saver

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
The Winch Saver is the latest safety and equipment protection device for your winch, as it allows you to stow your hook in a safe manner at the fair lead (cable guide), without metal to metal contact. The Winch Saver is designed to be compressed between the hook and the fairlead when stowing the hook.

Whether it's a Master Lock ATV Winch or any other vehicle-mounted winch, each has a fairlead. The Winch Saver is designed to be compressed between the hook and the fairlead. This allows you to stow your hook in a safe manner at the cable guide, without the metal-to-metal contact you'd have with a bare winch. Until now, ATV winch kits (and other winch kits) did not have this capability. An ATV winch (and other winches) has one of several types of winch hooks, and of course the winch cable to stow after use. The winch motor retracts the hook and cable, all the way in, and then locks with a sufficient amount of tension to hold it in place. The Winch Saver insulates the cable guide from the hook.

Winch systems include cable locks, but winching in safety just got better. For every ATV and truck winch, part of your total winching equipment system must be protection against injury and equipment damage from cable backlash. For ATV and truck winches alike, The Winch Saver protects brush guards, and the operators of those winches, from harm.

The Winch Saver holds tension on the cable thus not allowing slack to accumulate in the wraps of cable on the spool, and holds the hook in a ready and safe position. Just by viewing the photo above, a winch operator can easily recognize a few benefits of this product. The Winch Saver is made of a Polyurethane material, which is extremely durable and will last for years. This material has a very high impact absorption factor. How does the Winch Saver protect the winch operator? During the winching process the Winch Saver is slid about 1/3 of the outstretched cable from the hook and locked on. If the cable or the anchor point is suddenly released with the cable under tension, the Winch Saver would serve as a backlash suppression, greatly reducing the back lashing energy of the cable and hook. Reducing the potential for damage to the vehicle or you the operator. A large number of winch owners have been injured due to cable and hook backlash.
Source: Master lock atv winch, fairlead, bare winch, atv winch kits, atv winch, winch hooks

Other reading:

Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 17:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You mean like this?
You are preaching to the choir.

Forgive us oh Father Samurai San, for we know not your wisdom.

Quote:
Yes, they are lot expensive and very hard to get.
Quote:
The Army NGCS is so much in demand, the un-restored wrecks gets re-sold immediately after the auction. And they are lot expensive than civilian version.
And the Civilians are even more difficult to find.

Quote:
Ok, that got added to my list. I have long list of things to do before the next monsoon.
From what I found out from first-hand users, there is a huge improvement, no more boat kind of handling. It costs 25k for 4 shocks.
Looks like the bills are going to keep coming with this one too.

All the best in your journey and choices of upgrades.
IronWolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 01:26   #50
BHPian

Love the stance of the Jeep, Samurai. I'm pretty sure you're in for the long haul, just like with your CJ, to get the jeep to your approval. Just let me know in advance when you feel like selling it after that. It's as they say here, you do all the work and finally someone comes along and gets to enjoy it without any pain. I wouldn't mind being that someone for a change. All gain and no pain.

Hope your son gets a chance to enjoy this as well.

Regards.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:44   #51
BHPian

Samurai,

Your design aesthetics are almost predictable by looking at the jeeps you have chosen. There is a clear line which one can draw through the CJ to the 550 .

Alternatively, it could be that your photography aesthetics are predictable
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 12:08   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Love the stance of the Jeep, Samurai. I'm pretty sure you're in for the long haul, just like with your CJ, to get the jeep to your approval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Your design aesthetics are almost predictable by looking at the jeeps you have chosen. There is a clear line which one can draw through the CJ to the 550 .
Thanks guys. Yes, I do care about aesthetics when it comes to cars. May be because of my photography interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Just let me know in advance when you feel like selling it after that. It's as they say here, you do all the work and finally someone comes along and gets to enjoy it without any pain. I wouldn't mind being that someone for a change. All gain and no pain.
Well, it will be a long wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Alternatively, it could be that your photography aesthetics are predictable
Well, I can't make the vehicle look better than it is. Such black magic skills belong to Rudra.

Meanwhile the ownership transfer is complete and I have received the smartcard RC.

The MM550 underwent first special service at my local Mechanic, who maintains all of the Team Udupi offroad vehicles. So he knows the special requirement of our vehicles, and what kind of abuse they take. This is important because I don't have to sit there and get the job done. Just show him problem and he will fix it. Also he finds new problems unobserved by me and explains it to me, before fixing it.

1) General Service & Checkup - Done
2) Swapped skid plate was fouling with the exhaust pipe - Fixed
3) Winch fairlead was not matching the hole on the bumper - Fixed
4) Attach all loose hanging brake lines using clips to the housing - Done
5) Rear Brake service - Done
6) Odometer cable was jammed - Fixed
7) Add breathers to both differentials - Done
8) Diesel tank needs to be replaced - Hunt has started
9) Check all axles - Done (looks fine)
10) Add coolant overflow tank - Done (coolant added)
11) Added battery cutoff switch - Done (supplied by Tejas in Jan)
12) Added reverse light - Done
13) Added beeper to the turn lights - Done
14) Lower water hose touching engine block - Replaced with a newer/shorter hose.

He did many additional things, mostly small to tiny items, too significant to mention.

The total bill came to 3500 (1080 for labour). The mostly expensive items were coolant, and the thick electrical cables needed for cut-off switch.

Regarding the hose, how can I get these kind of reinforced water hose for XD3P? These are from Sachin's MM550, which just got fitted with DI turbo engine.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_20121227_173400.jpg
Old 29th December 2012, 16:20   #53
BHPian

What's the plan on Diesel tank, relocation ? Are you planning to source CJ tank and install under co-driver seat?
Old 29th December 2012, 16:47   #54
BHPian

Congratulations on the jeep,since there was a small discussion on the shocks well i am using ironman shocks on my 3b for quite sometime and i must say,there is a difference in the ride and comfort as compared with the stock ride,the jeep is running stock leaf spring setup .Attaching a click.I personally like the ride now,specially the pot holes are creased out,offroad the jeep behaves better.

regards

renegade
Attached Thumbnails
Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_4167.jpg  

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_4169.jpg  

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_4165.jpg  

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_4168.jpg  

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_4166.jpg  

renegade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 18:08   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
What's the plan on Diesel tank, relocation ? Are you planning to source CJ tank and install under co-driver seat?
No, nothing that drastic. I am looking for a diesel tank that has outlet and inlet on the top and side of the tank.

Here is a pic I stole from swastikviji's FB page. I want a tank like this.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-482923_560261160656657_1918062717_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade
Congratulations on the jeep,since there was a small discussion on the shocks well i am using ironman shocks on my 3b for quite sometime and i must say,there is a difference in the ride and comfort as compared with the stock ride,the jeep is running stock leaf spring setup
Thanks. Right now new shocks are not my priority. AC is the next big item on my list.
Old 29th December 2012, 18:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

How did i miss this thread. Wow i liked the family off roader story.

With all your off road collection you may never need to pray to any god to improve our road conditions.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 19:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Regarding the hose, how can I get these kind of reinforced water hose for XD3P? These are from Sachin's MM550, which just got fitted with DI turbo engine.
I am not sure but see whether the pipe used in scorpio fits your jeep in reverse direction. I have been using the same for quite some time. It is expensive but worth every paisa.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 22:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sharath,

Just ask your local tinker to reposition the fuel banjo from bottom to side, will save you lot of resources. After seeing Vijis pic I am planning to do the same on my Armada.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 13:56   #59
Team-BHP Support

Looks like I will be doing Bangalore Annual OTR with the same Fuel tank.

Anyway, couple things I am getting done this week. The bull bar is not exactly located in the center, that kinda bothered me. So I am making it a little wider so that it will be centered. Also making a plate on the bull bar to mount the winch solenoid.

Just now the AC mechanic came and picked up the Jeep. His shop is 15kms away, so he is picking up and dropping after the installation. I am going with Sanden 507 compressor and superking blower. Says it will be back tomorrow evening.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 17:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

SUPER NEWS!!!

Even today I had you in mind after a icebreaking session with a new 550 in our gang. Poor new jeeper was driving thru dust on way back home, I was njoying AC and ICE
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed