Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 22:03   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Any plan to change the rear seats to forward facing ones?
Yes, I need to get suitable seats. Tata Sierra's seats came highly recommended, but not easy to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoever buys your CJ340 is one lucky dude. You practically built it new aesthetically & mechanically, only to put it on the block eventually!
I drove it around for the photo session this week, and felt very guilty. It really moves on the trail. Yet to develop that connection with the MM550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Stick to KMT90, if it is running OK then it is bulletproof.
I replaced the original BA10 with KMT90, obviously I will stick with it. Right now it is very smooth.

Quote:
Fit two guard plates below the fuel tank, one below the other and block all holes in them. Tank guards are quite easy to find with the local secondhand parts guy. Remove the fuel tank drain plug and seal it completely by welding. And most important, if the fuel outlet banjo is at the bottom of the tank, replace the tank completely and fit the Thar tank, otherwise you will have to locally fabricate the top outlet in the existing tank. Route all fuel lines inside the C section chassis. Ensure that nothing hangs below the vehicle, nothing means absolutely nothing.
Hmm, this is the tank I have. Vivek has added a metal half pipe on that outlet to protect it.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-i9bbtwlnl.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post
but what were your personal considerations when dismissing a pre-worshipped Gypsy? This is because your other acquisitions are a petrol GV and a petrol i10 that I'm sure are used for daily running and clock many more miles.

The Gypsy's petrol engine which would through sheer brute power get it out of difficult situations is averse to the 'crawling' ability in a Jeep, but a Thar which was your earlier consideration has very similar characteristics.
I'd like to think myself as a technical offroader. I'd like to think about the technique while approaching every obstacle. So I don't like to brute force, unless that is the only technique that will work. For example, when I drove the Thar in Wayanad OTR, I drove the Thar just like the CJ340. That worked very well. And crawling is my favourite technique, so it had to be a diesel vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I could imagine myself going thru the purchase process when reading this report; which is an unique experience only available on TBHP.
Well, I just wrote what happened.
Old 8th December 2012, 23:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase and wish you many happy miles. The Stallion HT looks good.

A few observations -
  • Get the rear brake bundy tubes properly routed / clipped.
  • Something also looks wrong with your rear left leaf spring, see the bottom plate area. May be the 'U' bolts are different.
  • The tail lamp is mounted "ulta" / opposite. Mount it reverse if required.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/4x4-vehicles/1023557d1354823465-hardtop-mm550-family-friendly-offroader-joins-team-bhp-pc040026.jpg

instead of

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/mahi...ah-thar-06.jpg

OT-
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshjeet singh View Post
that's the one. done perfectly. Roplas never looked more appealing.
Sat Sri Akaal praaji, welcome !

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 8th December 2012 at 23:07.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 08:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post
The Gypsy's petrol engine which would through sheer brute power get it out of difficult situations is averse to the 'crawling' ability in a Jeep, but a Thar which was your earlier consideration has very similar characteristics.
Not really sir - Some obstacles cannot be done using brute force - We will land in hell!!

IMO. All vehicles have to be modified to some extent to do serious off road. The factory guys do not produce vehicles to that crowd and that is where the THAR has failed.

Where the THAR has succeeded is in bringing back the 540 body / parts bin back to market to delight present 540/550 owners.

A lsd / locker, Lockable cabin to the THAR will at attract many prospective buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, this is the tank I have. Vivek has added a metal half pipe on that outlet to protect it.
The fuel line is at the bottom - Maybe it needs to be changed like BD suggested!

I have broken this line in the infamous Kelambakkam OTR that you had visited with 8 people on board while coming down

And CONGRATS on your acquisition, I am sure you will be pleased

Personally having owned a CJ3B and a couple of 540s, I could definitely state that the 540 is a more practical offroad machine than the CJ series.

The CJ series on the other hand are more nimble and some abilities of them are unparalleled.
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 09:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

DB Sir, / Samurai : will it help to secure these two:

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-samu_550pipes.jpg

Regarding the rear seat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, I need to get suitable seats. Tata Sierra's seats came highly recommended, but not easy to find one.
How about getting a comfortable seat, then cut it to size ?
I would suggest to cut from the middle section, so that you can retain the head rest's.

Is this possible ?

EDIT: Will this work: the 2 seater unit ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2984640

Last edited by condor : 9th December 2012 at 09:59.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 12:27   #35
BHPian

Better Late than Never..
Congrats on your new Aquisition! Family friendly Offroader... wah AC bhi hain !
so that gives us new Thread to follow!
When ever I see a Jimny (here in Kuala Lumpur) reminds me of Offroaders expectation having this little 4W in India.....
Anyway Happy milecrunching to reach far off OTR's !
Old 10th December 2012, 09:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshjeet singh View Post
that's the one. done perfectly. Roplas never looked more appealing.
Dear Arshjeet - "Jo Bole So Nihaal, Sat Sri Akaal"!

Welcome to TeamBHP, paaji! Previously there were two (me and Pratheesh). Now there are three. I hope everybody learns and benefits, including all of us! Let's make "Jeep Ownership in India" a delightful experience for all TeamBHPians!

Dear Sharath - fuel tank and fuel lines as in the photograph will not work in any OTR. Please correct exactly as I have mentioned. Brake bundy tube condition indicates that the previous owner has not taken care. Please correct.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th December 2012 at 09:54. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 18:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have been quite silent after I sadly sold my 540 tincan.

This thread revived me back into the forum.

Samurai-San, the passion you have for jeeps just comes out even more on page1 of this thread.

To switch from BA10 to a KMT90
To keep a Roplas and not have a 'G' series registered vehicle look
To transform the std 550 to a Samurai signature vehicle .... It looks like your 340 grew up into a 550

Respect!

I loved the offroad capability, which could only be bettered by the better XD3P. I am sure you will slowly fall more in love with the 550's offroad capability than the 340s.(?) Time will tell

My only questions :
Would a MM550 XD NGCS be much more expensive that the deal you got on this civilian 550?
Also, you running the Geolanders with Tubes ? Or is Vivek running the old GV tires with tubes on another vehicle?
IronWolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 09:49   #38
BHPian

Congrats on the Buy Samurai... The jeep looks awesome indeed!

So sorry to see the 340 go! One of the most popular jeep on the t-bhp forums! Wish I had the cash to buy it right now, wouldn't have even give it a second thought! Would have loved to add it in the stable. I have learnt so much from your cj 340. Well I guess all good things really do come to an end. But don't worry, you will still live your dreams with your new acquisition.

I am hooked on to this thread. Wish you all the best and 1000's of beautiful miles ahead.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Samurai,

The 550 is a joy to drive after the 340 especially for long runs.

Your decision makes me feel vindicated regarding selling my 340 for a 550.

Even i'm interested in the ironman shocks if they do drastically improve ride quality.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
...Even i'm interested in the ironman shocks if they do drastically improve ride quality.
Dont know how 'drastic' will be the improvement, but by and large people say there is a good difference in the ride quality especially in the rear. Add me to the list of interested folks. If there is a group buy sort of thing i would take a pair.
Kandisa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 22:45   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Regarding the rear seat:
How about getting a comfortable seat, then cut it to size ?
I would suggest to cut from the middle section, so that you can retain the head rest's.
Seat is one thing I want to do very well, so I will be checking many options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
When ever I see a Jimny (here in Kuala Lumpur) reminds me of Offroaders expectation having this little 4W in India.....
Jimny, that word gives me heartburn. Maruti is such as passionless company, they can't do anything out of the box.

Quote:
Dear Sharath - fuel tank and fuel lines as in the photograph will not work in any OTR. Please correct exactly as I have mentioned. Brake bundy tube condition indicates that the previous owner has not taken care. Please correct.
Ok, that got added to my list. I have long list of things to do before the next monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
To transform the std 550 to a Samurai signature vehicle .... It looks like your 340 grew up into a 550
Thanks, but I have a long way to go. This is the first cut.

Quote:
Would a MM550 XD NGCS be much more expensive that the deal you got on this civilian 550?
Yes, they are lot expensive and very hard to get.

Quote:
Also, you running the Geolanders with Tubes ? Or is Vivek running the old GV tires with tubes on another vehicle?
No, the CJ340 now runs Michelin LTX AT2 on tubes and steel rims. The MM550 gets the Geolandar AT-S on alloys, tubeless of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
I have learnt so much from your cj 340. Well I guess all good things really do come to an end.
Even I learned a lot with CJ340. I call it my automobile university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Even i'm interested in the ironman shocks if they do drastically improve ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Dont know how 'drastic' will be the improvement, but by and large people say there is a good difference in the ride quality especially in the rear. Add me to the list of interested folks. If there is a group buy sort of thing i would take a pair.
From what I found out from first-hand users, there is a huge improvement, no more boat kind of handling. It costs 25k for 4 shocks.
Old 12th December 2012, 23:17   #42
BHPian

Congratulations Samurai on the acquisition!! The Jeep looks fantastic and I presume there's way to go yet in modifying it to your taste??
Is that paint color Rocky-Beige (of the Thar)?

I rejected the relocation opportunity in my previous organisation and have taken up an assignment in Bangalore itself!! Team-BHP is blocked in my new office and somehow this thread escaped from popping up on my mobile app!

Did you buy it from a seller in Hulimavu? If yes, does he have other restored 550 Army examples?
Old 12th December 2012, 23:30   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Did you buy it from a seller in Hulimavu? If yes, does he have other restored 550 Army examples?
He does, but they all came to his workshop pre-sold. Pre-sold, that's a nice way of saying it, I suppose.

The Army NGCS is so much in demand, the un-restored wrecks gets re-sold immediately after the auction. And they are lot expensive than civilian version.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 21:13   #44
BHPian

Dear Sharath ,congrats on your new aquisition a thoroughbred MM550 ,a dream machine for all jeep enthusiasts .As many have commented you need to be commended for the your gumption and passion .
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 00:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samurai on the MM550. I am very glad. I will get to read a new Jeep story. Whoever gets your CJ will be a lucky one indeed.

What's that with the Hardtop above the front door and windscreen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks