Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 22:19   #121
BHPian

Re: Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP

Shettre,
I see a sandwich packing on all visible places on your chassis. Just to be sure, check the chassis health. (This kind of packing is a prevalent practise for Jeeps whose chassis is broken)

Andy
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 22:50   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Now the best solution is to account for this lower air flow and add a larger radiator (fin area/core etc). This will take care of the issue 99%.
Yeah, this is the first thing I am going to work on.

Quote:
For 2) One is to separate area, second is to keep temp setting at min so that compressor cuts off faster.
I already do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
That shackle reversal should have given you a Nasty feedback in your steering/ride, surprised you caught it (so far) after returning home. It would have happened only in a trail (extreme arti) and no where on the roads.
Strangely, I don't get any bad feedback. But I am going to rise it on hi-lift jack and knock the shackle down. That should release the tension on the leaf.

Quote:
Just as a good-to-practice habit, after exiting every trail I recomend check for leaks from oil sump, diffs, GB, shackle reversals, steering box loose (you need another person to play the wheel). Would be a safety habit, God forbid that front leaf broke on highway!
Yeah, that is a very good practice, I need to put that as a checklist.

Quote:
So, let me be the first to ask you - What was different (+ & -)'s from CJ days to this hardtop+ac jeep
It is different, very different. But I'll need some time to put together a list of pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
It is not shackle reversal
It is not shackle reversal? I have seen a few, it looks like the same. Why is it no shackle reversal?

Quote:
but the reason for this damage is that the shackle/tyre has hit somewhere so hard that the entire set up is pushed backwards. This is why the leaf spring bent.
That is obvious, I am suspecting that 2-step rocky climb in trail 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Shettre,
I see a sandwich packing on all visible places on your chassis. Just to be sure, check the chassis health. (This kind of packing is a prevalent practise for Jeeps whose chassis is broken)
I bought the Jeep from Vivek so that I don't want to worry about such things. I could drive at 82kmph without any issues, no wobbling, etc.

BTW, I have no idea about the meaning of sandwich packing. What does it mean?
Old 29th January 2013, 23:33   #123
Senior - BHPian

What Dhanush meant may be its not just a S.Rev, but it looks like a aftermath of a front right shunt against a solid object. The only 'other' red CJ in hosur once took such a hit in left wheel and looked exactly the same, also the whole diff housing moved alongside the leaf assy and pinion angle was close to breakage! But this is only a SR, but good to check all things as well since you drove it approx 30Kms back home (2wd mode only-naa doesnt hold good here).

Edit
Recollected another situation - SidhuSaabs (from other forum) pimped out 5x0 once had a similar shunt, in a trail, front right shackle kept hitting a mud mound to come out of a obstacle and ended up looking like this, he didnt feel a thing until we scanned it after hitting the tarmac. Ended up buying a new main leaf. You can crow-bar-it-out with a hilift, but better get a new leaf+2nd leaf, this one is beyond its life. Also check all joints and GB mounts.

Last edited by svsantosh : 29th January 2013 at 23:41.
Old 29th January 2013, 23:35   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is not shackle reversal? I have seen a few, it looks like the same. Why is it no shackle reversal?
I think, with the main leaf bent that way, you cannot just knock the shackle down.

btw, please do check for damages of the transfer case mounting to the chassis.
Old 30th January 2013, 16:33   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think, with the main leaf bent that way, you cannot just knock the shackle down.
Why not?

Anyway, today I lifted the chassis using the hi-lift jack and then just put my foot on the alloy and pushed down, the shackle went down. No need for knocking at all.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-p1301420.jpg

But the shackle didn't move all the way to the front yet.

I checked the rear part of the leaf, where it was bent. I couldn't see anything in the darkness, so I took a photo for magnification. Now I could see a crack. This leaf needs to be replaced. See in full size.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-p1301429.jpg

The listing of the Jeep persisted. Now I looked carefully and found another problem.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-p1301422.jpg

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-p1301425.jpg

What is the part called, and what is it's purpose?

Now, can I drive to the workshop with this condition? Doesn't look safe to do it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 16:59   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Now, can I drive to the workshop with this condition? Doesn't look safe to do it.
Looks like the sway bar link rod? I think the top of the rod that has come loose should connect to the sway bar or anti roll bar.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 17:18   #127
Team-BHP Support

I too thought it was sway bar, but then why is it tilting so much if one side is disconnected? Is it supposed to be load bearing?
Old 30th January 2013, 17:49   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why not?

Anyway, today I lifted the chassis using the hi-lift jack and then just put my foot on the alloy and pushed down, the shackle went down. No need for knocking at all.
Looks like I overreacted!

Quote:

That is what mechanics in my place call the stabiliser bar. You can drive safely in this condition. No issues. Infact, some believe, without it, the Jeep articulates more(?)
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 21:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

My AG's bar was of a different design and I felt the articulation improved. But it was of a very diff design and looking at it you can imagine how it fiercly opposed the roll-over effect on corners. It did correct the opposite leafs camber if the other went flat. Like a cantilever?

Jeepsters pic... i had the same design.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-armada-7.html
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 12:54   #130
Team-BHP Support

Samurai replace both sides main leafs, its worth it and doesn't cost that much. Mechs would say new ones are not as good, but i really don't know what to tell them

You can drive safely without the sway bar.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 00:33   #131
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. I've never had that sway bar in my Jeep and I haven't noticed any significant handling behavior than Ramkya's which has them. And you'll be better off Offroad.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 08:40   #132
BANNED

Dear Samurai

Your Jeep is Grievously Hurt , you are lucky that nothing broke / came out while you drove home , ( thats the Jeep thing )

It is Obivious that you will change all the necessary damaged parts ( as suggested by many ) but there is one particular thing many will miss including your Mech ( yes there is a chance ) .

Those are the four U clamps ( Bolts ) which hold the springs to the axle tube Please DO change them with OE / good ones .

I have been / seen such situations before & even if they visually look ok ( chances are they will look bent after dis-assembly ) they are damaged & will/ May give way some time in future .

Telling this because it can be a great safety hazard for the ' Family friendly ' Purpose Jeep

Explaining my thought process about how the U bolts could get damaged . They will be ( & do get ) twisted in such axle dislocation .

Here

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-leafdamage.png

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 1st February 2013 at 08:53.
Sudarshan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:01   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is what mechanics in my place call the stabiliser bar. You can drive safely in this condition. No issues. Infact, some believe, without it, the Jeep articulates more(?)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Agreed. I've never had that sway bar in my Jeep and I haven't noticed any significant handling behavior than Ramkya's which has them. And you'll be better off Offroad.
Thanks. My CJ340 doesn't have sway/stabilizer bar. But I am new to the MM550 thing, so I wanted to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Your Jeep is Grievously Hurt , you are lucky that nothing broke / came out while you drove home , ( thats the Jeep thing )
I know, Jeep can move with half the things not working.

Quote:
Samurai replace both sides main leafs, its worth it and doesn't cost that much. Mechs would say new ones are not as good, but i really don't know what to tell them
Quote:
It is Obivious that you will change all the necessary damaged parts ( as suggested by many )
Yeah, already left the Jeep at the workshop. Will be changing two leafs on the right and one of the left.

Quote:
but there is one particular thing many will miss including your Mech ( yes there is a chance ) .

Those are the four U clamps ( Bolts ) which hold the springs to the axle tube Please DO change them with OE / good ones.
Thanks for the info. But this Jeep was recently rebuilt by Vivek (papaboost), so I can safely assume U Bolts to be of good quality. Still, I told the mech to inspect them when he takes them off. Also, I told him to look for anything wrong underneath and fix it.

We offroaders don't give our Jeeps to just any street side mech, but to mechanics who are used to fixing offroad vehicles. The Bangalore Mechanic I am using right now is known and trusted by all the senior offroad Jeepers in Bangalore. So when I told him to look for anything wrong, he knows what damages to look for.

Meanwhile I am intrigued about this part. I see no nut, how does it stay on the pin without slipping. Just by the outward tension of the U shaped bar?

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-p13014221.jpg
Old 1st February 2013, 10:39   #134
Team-BHP Support

There would be a nut or bolt that holds the link in place. Must have sheared off and that's why you don't see it.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:54   #135
Team-BHP Support

There is no nut. If you look at the other side, there is no nut. And there is no groove for a nut.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-p13014251.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks