Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 19:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My good ol' 89'er MM540 with 4 wheeldrive , smokey on my tail!

Hey thats a lot of progress I missed. Got more pics of the Okbj? Axles, hubs, etc?
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:58   #17
BHPian

Was out of updates on my vehicle rebuild for the past 10 days or so.Had to do a quick round to Bangalore to take part in BAOTR2013....then coming back from 3 days of BAOTR2013, a quick trip to a nearby temple for my 6 month old girl child's choroonu /mukhe bhaat/bhaatkhulai/Annaprasham. Poojari made me do the ritual saying that this would make me more resposible as a father. Reason being me not available for any of the arrangements on this regard since I was away getting my jeep don and ready. Anyways, my inlaws had a good laugh over the event.

The best thing can be the worst too..Last 10 days , in my absence, absolutely nothing happened. No work done on my jeep. Was really upset seeing the same. So straight away contacted the lathe guy and drove 42 kms myself to get the tube swap done for FFRA. This has been pending for the last 30 days or so. Finally this was done overnight and is ready for installation. Will have to wait till Monday to get this setup on the 89'er. Opted for Manual RCBT steering , since the time, the words of Suresh Stephen lurking at the back of my mind from BAOTR2013 day1.I was telling him that I was going in for a power steering as the present setup was difficult and he said that guys at my age should take care of fitness rather than finding fault with such things which actually work better from OTR standpoint. So its MRCBT for the time being. Procured a new pickup Armada set today.

Some pics on the FFRA tube swap
Name:  010.FFRAtubeswap1.png
Views: 2948
Size:  498.4 KBName:  010.FFRAtubeswap2.png
Views: 2927
Size:  498.2 KBName:  010.FFRAtubeswap3.png
Views: 2969
Size:  458.1 KBName:  010.FFRAtubeswap4.png
Views: 2948
Size:  465.1 KBName:  010.FFRAtubeswap5.png
Views: 2884
Size:  410.3 KBName:  010.FFRAtubeswap6.png
Views: 3191
Size:  461.2 KBName:  010.FFRAtubeswap7.png
Views: 2720
Size:  483.7 KB

Meanwhile body work is also on snail pace. I hav been promised of dedicated activity starting this Monday. Will wait and see...

Name:  020.good ol 89er MM540Bodywork1.png
Views: 2589
Size:  433.4 KB
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hey thats a lot of progress I missed. Got more pics of the Okbj? Axles, hubs, etc?
Santhosh, Apologies for the late update. As mentioned was away for 10 days . Posting some pics on the OKBJ installation as req....Name:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation1.png
Views: 2633
Size:  491.4 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation2.png
Views: 2633
Size:  481.3 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation3.png
Views: 2597
Size:  482.6 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation4.png
Views: 2886
Size:  493.3 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation5.png
Views: 2510
Size:  477.1 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation6.png
Views: 2502
Size:  469.6 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation7.png
Views: 2422
Size:  449.9 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation8.png
Views: 2376
Size:  411.2 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation9.png
Views: 2376
Size:  416.3 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation10.png
Views: 2350
Size:  443.9 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation11.png
Views: 2347
Size:  453.6 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation12.png
Views: 2364
Size:  417.5 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation13.png
Views: 2313
Size:  402.5 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation14.png
Views: 2387
Size:  450.5 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation15.png
Views: 2246
Size:  428.1 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation16.png
Views: 2282
Size:  441.3 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation17.png
Views: 2177
Size:  405.1 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation18.png
Views: 2203
Size:  428.5 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation19.png
Views: 2156
Size:  423.1 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation20.png
Views: 2142
Size:  436.5 KBName:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation21.png
Views: 2173
Size:  427.7 KB

Thanks, Vivekj
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:47   #19
BHPian

One quick question to the experts!!!

Mahindra pickup OKBJ axle setup as shown in my previous post, dos this come with a spindle and hub setup that bolts on to the knuckle or with Unit bearing.

Name:  009.OKBJaxlesinstalation2.png
Views: 2173
Size:  481.3 KB

Referring to the above pic, I feel it should be the spindle and hub setup. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks , Vivekj
Old 3rd February 2013, 20:28   #20
BHPian

Knock Knock experts somebody, anybody...need help as requested in my earlier posts. One more of the quick questions.

At BAOTR2013, on day2 , I had Sanjay's MM540 XD3P ahead of me most of the time. Couple of things I noticed/felt with his vehicle were the following.

1) The exhaust note was very different and pleasing to hear , sound felt like the engine had more grunt and tuned for .a rally. On enquiring , Sanay mentioned that the exhaust pipes has been modified to have minimal bends for proper flow. My question to experienced people out thereis, does this change the engine performance in any manner ? If it does change the performance, can anyone share a sketch on an ideal layout for the exhaust pipes for the XD3P.

2) I have been driving an XD3P for almost 3years and have tried out in 4.88 and 5.38 versions diff versions and I feel I more or less understand the power offered by this engine on a MM540. Some of the obstacles including slush, I felt Sanjay's 540 XD3P had more power in store to take it through without much of aggression . I was surprised and was asking Arka as to whether he had lockers or LSD... It was mentioned that the FIP is a Delphi make and tuned for performance. My question to experienced people out there again is, does this delphi FIP really make a difference over the Lucas one that I have on my 2003 XD3P. Can the Delphi FIP be tuned in any particular manner to increase the engine performance.

Hope I get some practical insights on my above queries as well as to the ambiguities highlighted in my previous posts.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear jmvivek - by the time you complete 27 items in your list, you will tear out whatever hair will be left on your head. That was in a lighter vein, on a serious note, please don't go overboard, you will not realize the value for the money that you will spend on the vehicle. Instead, enjoy the vehicle as you have it.

If money is not the issue, you know what to buy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Sir,
I own a 1966 HIGH BONNET Willys cj3b 4x4 with the f-head hurricane engine 3+1 gear box the engine is completely covered in rust the piston is jammed the rockers are having white powder coating so it requires a total rebuild The mechanic Mr Suleman Arab from Pune has overhauled the gear box and is restoring the jeep I am going in for a diesel engine Looking in your threads i have found this one XD3P TURBO (NEF 249/SZ 2600 90+BHP 20+kgm torque (5 speed+4 wd KMT 90 WITH 2 LEVER T18 transfer case)
My question is can it be mated to the Willys chassis while retaining the 3+1 gear box or do i need to change the gear box and transfer case Kindly advice me on this since the mechanic in Pune will be doing it i need to have some working knowledge to ensure that the mechanic does not change things without the correct specifications and earn a fast buck
Thanks and God bless
lester pnto
Mumbai
Old 6th February 2013, 17:13   #22
BHPian

lester, the engine code sounds like the scorpios, but I might be wrong..

XD3p is best bated to the 4spd KMT90 +T18 combo in a cj3b.
the 3speed will be too jarring between gears.

The 5 speed will be too long.
prabhuav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pints12 View Post

Sir,
I own a 1966 HIGH BONNET Willys cj3b 4x4 with the f-head hurricane engine 3+1 gear box the engine is completely covered in rust the piston is jammed the rockers are having white powder coating so it requires a total rebuild The mechanic Mr Suleman Arab from Pune has overhauled the gear box and is restoring the jeep I am going in for a diesel engine Looking in your threads i have found this one XD3P TURBO (NEF 249/SZ 2600 90+BHP 20+kgm torque (5 speed+4 wd KMT 90 WITH 2 LEVER T18 transfer case)
My question is can it be mated to the Willys chassis while retaining the 3+1 gear box or do i need to change the gear box and transfer case Kindly advice me on this since the mechanic in Pune will be doing it i need to have some working knowledge to ensure that the mechanic does not change things without the correct specifications and earn a fast buck
Thanks and God bless
lester pnto
Mumbai
Hi Lester,
if you want to use your existing 3+1 GB, go for XDP or MM M2DI engine. 5 Speed GB of MM is not possible in CJ3B.
Brother of Suleman (Usman) have variety of engines to suit your requirement.
Advice: keep a tab on your expenses and make sure to cross check rate of spares billed by Suleman bhai to avoid getting milked.
BTW: if you are planning to use your jeep infrequently, stick to Hurricane (there are plenty of running engines for sale), you will enjoy jeep to fullest.
Happy Jeeping……
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 13:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I own a 1966 HIGH BONNET Willys cj3b 4x4 with the f-head hurricane engine 3+1 gear box the engine is completely covered in rust the piston is jammed the rockers are having white powder coating so it requires a total rebuild The mechanic Mr Suleman Arab from Pune has overhauled the gear box and is restoring the jeep I am going in for a diesel engine Looking in your threads i have found this one XD3P TURBO (NEF 249/SZ 2600 90+BHP 20+kgm torque (5 speed+4 wd KMT 90 WITH 2 LEVER T18 transfer case)
My question is can it be mated to the Willys chassis while retaining the 3+1 gear box or do i need to change the gear box and transfer case Kindly advice me on this since the mechanic in Pune will be doing it i need to have some working knowledge to ensure that the mechanic does not change things without the correct specifications and earn a fast buck. Thanks and God bless. lester pnto. Mumbai
Dear Lester Pinto - first of all, hello to you and congratulations on owning the legendary CJ3B which many (including me) are still aspiring to own. In my opinion, please do not change the petrol engine to diesel engine. Please overhaul the petrol engine and use it. As you have mentioned your base as Mumbai with your technician in Pune, it will be easy for us to meet. I am from Mumbai, I work in Pune. I want to see your vehicle. Please PM me your mobile number, I'll call you and guide you in totality, till then please do not do anything to your vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 13:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Sir,
I own a 1966 HIGH BONNET Willys cj3b 4x4 with the f-head hurricane engine 3+1 gear box
lester pnto
Mumbai
Hi Lester,

Please do not even think of butchering the CJ3B with a diesel engine. The hurricane engine if properly tuned is a gem. Please do not change it. Assuming that you would be using the Jeep as a secondary vehicle, please keep it as original as possible.

I would recommend the original setup with a carter carb (you have to search really hard or import it). The 3B with a carter would be lethal . I hope your mechanic is a knowledgeable chap who knows how to tune the hurricane.

Please ask around. There are plenty of people in this forum (UBS, DB sir, Arka etc) who can virtually help you to get this jeep back on toes.

I'd recommend you to start a separate thread with pics so that all of us can contribute and drool over your Jeep
Sabareesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Lester Pinto - first of all, hello to you and congratulations on owning the legendary CJ3B which many (including me) are still aspiring to own. In my opinion, please do not change the petrol engine to diesel engine. Please overhaul the petrol engine and use it. As you have mentioned your base as Mumbai with your technician in Pune, it will be easy for us to meet. I am from Mumbai, I work in Pune. I want to see your vehicle. Please PM me your mobile number, I'll call you and guide you in totality, till then please do not do anything to your vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
My deepest appreciation for your for your kind advice you have read my heart i never intended to do away with the hurricane engine but my mechanic at pune is reluctant to overhaul it the vehicle is at Ravivar peth power house Suleman Arab garage very close to bhavani peth here in mumbai i reside at kalina santa cruz east opposite old air india colony gate my mobile number is 9869864494 once again thanks to Sabaresh for his advice and concern i really appreciate it as this is my first project need to do a lot of ground work
Thanks and God bless
lester pinto
pints12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
My deepest appreciation for your for your kind advice you have read my heart i never intended to do away with the hurricane engine but my mechanic at pune is reluctant to overhaul it the vehicle is at Ravivar peth power house Suleman Arab garage very close to bhavani peth here in mumbai i reside at kalina santa cruz east opposite old air india colony gate my mobile number is 9869864494 once again thanks to Sabaresh for his advice and concern i really appreciate it as this is my first project need to do a lot of ground work
Thanks and God bless
lester pinto
HOLY ****!!! DUDE!!! I know I risk getting an infraction but whatever! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON't ALLOW THE ARAB GUYS TO OPEN UP YOUR JEEP. They know absolutely NOTHING about jeeps. And DEFINITELY not anything about Hurricane CJ3Bs!!!

Dear Behram, this is the same place where you'd gone to inquire about jeeps, posing as a newbie.

Last edited by vivekjayasheel : 7th February 2013 at 16:38.
vivekjayasheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
my mechanic at pune is reluctant to overhaul it . thanks to Sabaresh for his advice and concern
lester pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
DON't ALLOW THE ARAB GUYS TO OPEN UP YOUR JEEP. They know absolutely NOTHING about jeeps. And DEFINITELY not anything about Hurricane CJ3Bs!!!

Hi Lester,

I guess, you have got your reply. Please pull out your Jeep from that notorious garage at the earliest. Please get in touch with a fellow member Genesis (soumya). He has a CJ3B, he can guide you to his mechanic.

Overhauling a hurricane properly is not everyone's cup of tea. @vivekjayasheel's confirmation has added more fears. Please pull out your jeep as early as possible. Also, please open up a new thread and post pics so that everyone here can pitch in with their suggestions.

@jmvivek, sorry for going on your thread, its just that some of us cannot tolerate a hurricane being butchered . Good to see your 540 being pampered. Thanks for keeping us posted with the updates.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 8th February 2013 at 13:23. Reason: Removing extra smileys from quoted texts
Sabareesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
HOLY ****!!! DUDE!!! I know I risk getting an infraction but whatever! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON't ALLOW THE ARAB GUYS TO OPEN UP YOUR JEEP. They know absolutely NOTHING about jeeps. And DEFINITELY not anything about Hurricane CJ3Bs!!!

Dear Behram, this is the same place where you'd gone to inquire about jeeps, posing as a newbie.
Vivek Ji,
I beg to disagree that he does not know anything about Jeeps, he still works on go-devil engines leave aside hurricane.But yes, he is smart enough to fool newbies to change all original fittings and in turn get hold of all original stuff and then sell it enthusiasts like us.
He knows old Jeeps in and out, but if someone poses as newbie then he will definitely want to take that person to ride. He maintained my Ford GPW for an year and one team Bhpian (pathfinder) got his CJ3B fitted with 550 full setup (engine, diffs, GB, TC etc) at his place.
At the end of the day you should be alert enough to avoid getting fooled.

Shubhendra
Old 8th February 2013, 15:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Vivek Ji,
I beg to disagree that he does not know anything about Jeeps
Hi Shubhendra, when you say "he", who exactly do you mean? To my knowledge, only Junaid is conscientious and knowledgeable enough to handle *some* jeeps. 90% of the people who buy jeeps from them, come back within a month to kill them, LOL. How do i know all this? Because for the first 35 years of my life, I used to live right opposite to their garage on Mali Maharaj Road (the one with the small ganpati temple in the middle of the road). My mum still lives there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks