Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 16:24   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

^True. Patriotism is not exactly a top priority in the business goals and objectives when a company sets up a plant in another country. Business has a goal of growth and making money out of what they do. Shareholders, stakeholders and employees, they all benefit from it.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:56   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
you make it sound like MNCs are run by a bunch of idiots.
You make it sound like you should distribute the profits, and keep only a small part for yourself, enough to meet your daily needs

Anyway, Trying to see where I said what you said .. Dont see where I said that. Esp when my comments were about MNC's trying to take back as much of the profits to their base location (HQ). They are not fools to leave the profits in the subsidiary location.

Quote:
The money earned is distributed in
1. Salaries
2. Infra development
are costs, not distribution of profits.

Quote:
So most MNCs usually do not take most of the money to their home countries.
They cant - because the max part of that "revenue" is costs, taxes, & stuff they have to pay for.

Quote:
If you see the books, profits are usually 15-20%. That means, about 80% of the revenue (which is huge) is invested in production and R&D facilities, and countries where these R&D or manufacturing centers are earn a huge amount of money,
Lots of terms. If a Ford is exporting from here, they are seeing a way for them to get more profits. They are not doing a favor to us in terms of Forex, tax, employment, local development by manufacturing here.

Revenue is a number. It is just an intermediate term between costs and profits, even if it a supposedly important parameter, it doesnt mean more beyond what is made to mean. It includes the costs of the raw materials & running costs, which wont come free. They have acquired raw materials & resources, they have to pay for it. They have to pay the govt like anywhere.

You can also bring in all the theories on why these terms are important, or about development, or any thing else. One could say we benefit, but their primary motive was not to get us benefits, but more profits for themselves. And they will try to maximze that. I suppose you will agree with that. Isnt that why they are manufacturing at a place outside their home country ?
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 17:57   #618
Senior - BHPian

Even if a MNC earns Rs 100 in profit and finds ways to take the full Rs 100 back to its base country, I still don't see why should anyone not buy their products.

Because to earn that 100, they would have spent around Rs 1000/- and a substantial chunk of that Rs1000/- does get spent in the country of operation. So no MNC no Rs1000/- earning potential for the base country.

Even leaving that aside, the secondary benefits accrued are sometimes even more attractive.

In relevance to this thread I found the idea of shunning the Duster because it was manufactured by a MNC very intriguing, and amusing too.
Old 7th August 2013, 18:34   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Even if a MNC earns Rs 100 in profit and finds ways to take the full Rs 100 back to its base country, I still don't see why should anyone not buy their products.
No, no reason to avoid their products.

Quote:
In relevance to this thread I found the idea of shunning the Duster because it was manufactured by a MNC very intriguing, and amusing too.

Quote:
Because to earn that 100, they would have spent around Rs 1000/- and a substantial chunk of that Rs1000/- does get spent in the country of operation.
They are not bringing in that 1000/-, and leaving that 1000/- here. If they had brought in that 1000/- and had not taken it back, then one could say that they brought in that much money for the country & into the country. But here, they invest, and they will take back the amount they invested.

The investment is only initial stuff, and cannot be counted as a gain for the local place/country. This investment is what is helping rotate money & cause "growth" of the local "economy" .. it is a stimulus, catalyst.
No, nothing wrong in it. And nothing wrong in the profit they make out of it.
Old 7th August 2013, 20:32   #620
BHPian

This is no longer a thread for Thar-bashing... LOL
Old 7th August 2013, 22:20   #621
BHPian

My Thar now 5.5K km on Odo, I am facing Brake issue again.

The last time I faced was in Dec 2012 just after buying the Vehicle. That issue was grabby (Tight brakes). That time the vehicle would become sluggish after driving for 15 km. The brake paddle would also become hard with little movement left. I would start hearing grinding noise. The solution was to switch off engine and pump the brakes and start the vehicle again and brakes would be back to normal.

This was rectified to the 100% satisfaction after 2nd attempt. The first was when G3 Motors tried quick fix which did not last a day. The second was when NBS fixed it permanently. Until May things were good.

After that I started facing another issue. At cold start the brakes would just bite the disk at lightest pressure on brake paddle. After a Km of careful drive the brakes would be normal then. Did not care much as Thar is second ride and not main stream.

Now the issue has worsen, as even after few km, the brakes would still show the same bahavior. Slightest pressure or tap would lock the wheels & for few seconds it will be locked, engine would die. Experienced it on a rainy day which added to woes by skids. From that day Parked the vehicle.

Called up M&M and also sent email on second issue with brakes. The NBS person visited to my residence to check the drivability of the vehicle so as to check if he can drive it to dealership 25 km away. He said the vehicle is drivable and would be picking up tomorrow morning (08/08).

I never had weak braking with Thar. I am taking from the experience of emergency braking and the vehicle stopped bang on. Last service I asked about Brake upgrade and I was told my vehicle has the upgraded setup by default. I am not sure if I should believe them, however the braking is spot on.

My vehicle has not yet seen a single offroading event. Now my question
- why am I facing these repeated issues? What kind of engineering is this?
- What is so much rocket science that the brakes cannot stay in right shape?
- Do you all think that the last job was just a quick fix and not the permanent solution?

Let the discussion continue on Why one should not buy Thar? I did buy sheer out of passion, but I am yet to make it taste the real ground.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:18   #622
BHPian

This one belongs to a Bhpian's , he was on his way to the workshop for the regular service and this happened , might be the "Thar hates tar " happened on the road .
This thar has seen quite a bit of OTR's ,I hope he will be updating his ownership thread after the analysis by the workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!-793683_502346363189750_1017669331_o.jpg  

slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 10:39   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
This one belongs to a Bhpian's , he was on his way to the workshop for the regular service and this happened , might be the "Thar hates tar " happened on the road .
This thar has seen quite a bit of OTR's ,I hope he will be updating his ownership thread after the analysis by the workshop.
Its quite comical. Imagine this pic in Mahindra advert brochure "Thar hates Tar"
On a more serious note, regular extreme offroading, coupled with bigger tires could have lead to repeated damage, and finally this is the end result.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:15   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
No, no reason to avoid their products.

They are not bringing in that 1000/-, and leaving that 1000/- here. If they had brought in that 1000/- and had not taken it back, then one could say that they brought in that much money for the country & into the country. But here, they invest, and they will take back the amount they invested.

The investment is only initial stuff, and cannot be counted as a gain for the local place/country. This investment is what is helping rotate money & cause "growth" of the local "economy" .. it is a stimulus, catalyst.
No, nothing wrong in it. And nothing wrong in the profit they make out of it.
For all those advocating buying indian products and indian manufacturing, the concept of corporate governance and trusteeship was forced. We all know how investment companies and financial accounts in Mauritius are used. Im sorry to say, but we did have the attitude of capitalism or Sethji. Apart from Tata's and a few others, tell me how many more actually believe in giving back to the society. Frankly speaking they are interested in creating their own 600 plus crore mansions.

Businesses are meant to make profits, its nothing wrong. Talking Indian versus foreign designed products. A purchase should give moneys worth. With respect to Thar, I believe in the designers dream, he brought it to the table, sometimes putting his job at risk at times, but in his own words - someone should do something.

Regards,
Kavesh
Old 8th August 2013, 11:30   #625
BHPian

Quote:

On a more serious note, regular extreme offroading, coupled with bigger tires could have lead to repeated damage, and finally this is the end result.
He has reported premature wear of suspension bushes after the tyre change , the stress has resulted in this .
But this is unacceptable , this is not even "31"inch MTs they are only 245 's, even the "mahindra off road training academy " vehicles are fitted with 245 's.

No wonder BD says often ,drive it as it is and you will have no problems

Lets see how MM honors the warranty in this issue .
Old 8th August 2013, 11:52   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hey slalom, you took away the thunder from my service experience post which was going to come up after this was all done with.

But anyways, this is pretty much what I had to go through yesterday morning. What I'm concerned about is the premature failure of a critical component in just 9000kms of which the jeep may have seen 3-4 offroad events. Again, since its my year of learning, I haven't tried extreme stuff as yet so can't even say that I've abused the jeep a lot yet, but yes I am not exactly the kind of guy who will drive the jeep like an expensive car either.

I haven't yet gotten the full report on the damage but the service guys are pretty much on it and I'm hoping it will all be fixed without too much of blood pressure increase. I'm not the type of guy who would fret too much over what has happened, but would look at making sure that it is fixed entirely without any further issues. The jeep hasn't been a daily driver for me till now and was intended to be a fun/leisure vehicle. It has served me well so far, so I can take these things in the stride as long as the company is willing to fix the issues as expected.

Quote:
Its quite comical. Imagine this pic in Mahindra advert brochure "Thar hates Tar"
Tanveer, the idea of using this for the Thar hates Tar campaign isn't going to be too far if the Mahindra guys don't live up to the expectations.

In terms of off-roading, I haven't done anything really extreme as yet, recently participated in a couple of Mahindra Great Escape events but that wasn't anything dangerous as well. The tires are MTs but they're not the really broader profile than the stock although a bit taller than stock, so the system ain't overloaded either. This looks more like a manufacturing defect than anything else.

Anyways, for now I'm not really mad about the whole thing, unless things change drastically on how this is handled by Mahindra. Lets hope I don't have to change from a promoter to a detractor on this very same thread.

Here's a closer look at the failure:
Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!-thar1.jpg
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 12:02   #627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

Here's a closer look at the failure:
Attachment 1122806
Hmmm, it appears the CV joints are also busted. I am told they cost 45K or something?
Slightly taller tires should not be an issue. What is the workshop attitude on warranty front? Did they start off by saying "no warranty" etc.,?
Old 8th August 2013, 12:09   #628
BHPian

awaiting to hear from BD!!!!!
Old 8th August 2013, 12:12   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, it appears the CV joints are also busted. I am told they cost 45K or something?
Slightly taller tires should not be an issue. What is the workshop attitude on warranty front? Did they start off by saying "no warranty" etc.,?
As of now, they've opened up the whole thing and looking at the extent of the damage. So far I haven't heard the service manager showing concerns on warranty so I'm assuming that they'll take care of it.
Old 8th August 2013, 12:29   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Hey slalom, you took away the thunder from my service experience post which was going to come up after this was all done with.
Got a bit carried away , on a serous note ,what If this has happened on your Kerala or Mumbai drive at speeds on the highway ?

From your TBHP reports and the blog its evident that you don't abuse your thar , that's the main reason why I jumped the Gun .

Anyway All's well that ends well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks