Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2013, 01:36   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

So I am in the Thar with my wife going for a late night dinner to a friends place, cruising at a comfortable 60 kmph and suddenly there is crazy amount of SMOKE inside the cabin from under the dashboard. Not sure if there was smoke from the AC vents but definitely from under the dashboard.

So we quickly pull over to the side of the road and get out of the Jeep and watch for 2-3 minutes as the smoke escapes from the windows. Also noticed that there no smoke from the radiator region. Anyhow after a few minutes of watching, pull up the hood and the engine bay is spotless. No sign of burnt wires, leaked coolant or any other liquid, and no sign or smell of smoke.

After a few minutes we get into the vehicle, and apart from some smell remaining in the cabin NOTHING seems to be wrong. All the fog lights are working, the horn is working, stereo is working, nothing seems to be "short". However, did not check the AC as we drove back home to pick up the other car and continue for dinner.

Any ideas about what this could be?

Plan to take the vehicle to my trusted mechanic tomorrow morning for a quick checkup. I don't have a high opinion of the ASC after the handbrake cable replacement. Just noticed today that the cable is naked (no sheath present) and they have not even clipped it properly to the provided brackets. It's just hanging there - will put up pictures about that tomorrow.

Anyhow, back to the smoke - it was white and had a typical electrical "burning" smell. Any idea what THAT was all about ??

Last edited by manveet : 11th August 2013 at 01:38.
Old 19th August 2013, 22:42   #647
BHPian

Just saw a guy posting on facebook for a sale of his used Thar CRDI. And guys you should see the positive response to the same. I guess its high time, we start another thread "Why used THAR CRDI is so much on demand !!!!???"
Old 20th August 2013, 15:45   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
Just saw a guy posting on facebook for a sale of his used Thar CRDI. And guys you should see the positive response to the same. I guess its high time, we start another thread "Why used THAR CRDI is so much on demand !!!!???"
Seriously, you can say that again. The Thar has tremendous resale value.

When I decided to go in for a Thar, the 1.5 year old used ones done about 14K on the Odo and with aftermarket AC fitment were going for 7L+. That's when I figured out that a new Thar at 8.5L was so much more worth it.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:55   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Seriously, you can say that again. The Thar has tremendous resale value. When I decided to go in for a Thar, the 1.5 year old used ones done about 14K on the Odo and with aftermarket AC fitment were going for 7L+. That's when I figured out that a new Thar at 8.5L was so much more worth it.
Dear Manveet and jmvivek - this vehicle has timeless body shape, therefore it shall never lose value. This is the precise DNA / primary reason why it got made in the first place! Therefore, thanks for your wonderful comments. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 20:06   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet and jmvivek - this vehicle has timeless body shape, therefore it shall never lose value. This is the precise DNA / primary reason why it got made in the first place! Therefore, thanks for your wonderful comments. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
As they say "Chhota Muuh Badi Baat" - Point well noted Sir. But a request which I am sure many will agree with - Please do ensure that whatever 4x4 is coming out of Tata (now that you are there) is a little better in terms of the interiors & safety perspective and is not as bland as the Thar. Do try to circumvent the 'CMVR' rules this time by hook or crook My heart cries for a vehicle like Thar but my head doesn't allow me to buy it. So I am still waiting.
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 22:04   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Do try to circumvent the 'CMVR' rules this time by hook or crook .
The CMVR stipulates minimum norms, not maximum! There is no need to circumvent it! No CMVR prevents a manufacturer from bettering a product than the standards set!
cpbopanna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 07:06   #652
BHPian

Hi all is there any way to fix the highly uncomfortable accelerator position of the Thar CRDE? I find that I have to hold my foot up at a very sharp angle which causes fatigue and pain in the upper portion of my foot after just half an hour of driving. The accelerator position seems to be too high or too close to the driver. Me and a few of my friends are having the same complaint about the vehicle.

Has anyone else felt this problem?

Appreciate the help
Old 27th August 2013, 08:49   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

@Endeavour Just a thought .. - how do place your foot on the acclerator pedal ?

A common complaint that we see about accl pedals in SUV's is often from people who have graduated from a car to a SUV. If in a car, you place the full foot on the pedal, - in the SUV, you may need to use only the front part of your foot, while resting the heel on the floor.

But if we consider that you have an Endy, this should not be teh case with you.
Old 27th August 2013, 09:15   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A common complaint that we see about accl pedals in SUV's is often from people who have graduated from a car to a SUV. If in a car, you place the full foot on the pedal, - in the SUV, you may need to use only the front part of your foot, while resting the heel on the floor.
Wow, I never thought about that! I have always been driving hatchbacks while resting the heel on the floor and the front part of my foot on the accelerator.

I am so ready for a SUV. gee, thanks Condor!
Old 27th August 2013, 09:18   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Endeavour Just a thought .. - how do place your foot on the acclerator pedal ?
You'll have to keep in mind that you are advising 6'8" tall fellow. I feel the seat may have to be relocated. I drive a MM550 (same size as Thar), where I push the seat all the way back. And I am one foot shorter.
Old 27th August 2013, 09:23   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You'll have to keep in mind that you are advising 6'8" tall fellow.
Thanks, Samurai san .. will watch out for relevant information in the posts before I respond.
Quote:
I feel the seat may have to be relocated. I drive a MM550 (same size as Thar), where I push the seat all the way back. And I am one foot shorter.
Seating positon, Positon of seat, distance to accl pedal, how the foot is placed would be a multi-D affair, IMO.
I must be about your height, give or take an inch or two. But I preferred the seat all the way back in my good ol' Accord - but not so in my Ikon. The Storme was different, and Sumo was not the same as the Storme either
Old 27th August 2013, 09:32   #657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, Samurai san .. will watch out for relevant information in the posts before I respond.
Good, I wasn't sure you knew.

Quote:
Seating positon, Positon of seat, distance to accl pedal, how the foot is placed would be a multi-D affair, IMO. .... But I preferred the seat all the way back in my good ol' Accord - but not so in my Ikon. The Storme was different, and Sumo was not the same as the Storme either
Exactly, that is why I didn't mention my i10 and GV seat settings. The MM550 on the other hand is the same body as Thar.
Old 27th August 2013, 09:34   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
As they say "Chhota Muuh Badi Baat" - Point well noted Sir. But a request which I am sure many will agree with - Please do ensure that whatever 4x4 is coming out of Tata (now that you are there) is a little better in terms of the interiors & safety perspective and is not as bland as the Thar. Do try to circumvent the 'CMVR' rules this time by hook or crook My heart cries for a vehicle like Thar but my head doesn't allow me to buy it. So I am still waiting.
I sincerely agree with your point here. I want another competitor for the Thar to come in the market of this segment and hit Mahindra where it hurts. Dhabhar Saheb, we are waiting
Old 27th August 2013, 10:11   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
@Endy, additional information .. any ?
Old 27th August 2013, 10:45   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Hi all is there any way to fix the highly uncomfortable accelerator position of the Thar CRDE? I find that I have to hold my foot up at a very sharp angle which causes fatigue and pain in the upper portion of my foot after just half an hour of driving. The accelerator position seems to be too high or too close to the driver. Me and a few of my friends are having the same complaint about the vehicle.

Appreciate the help
It's not only Thar. It's any jeep. You will have to get used to it.

I still remember on long expressway drives it was so uncomfortable, i used to contemplate using a brick to keep the pedal pressed. Gets worse if you drive a SWB jeep.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks