Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 15:37   #661
BHPian

re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

I am not sure whether to put this here.I have a silver Thar crde which I bought last year .Wonderful vehicle to live with .I live in Dun and there are ample opportunities to use the vehicle to its fullest.its the after service which seems to suck. I have run it for 16000 kms in the last 12months,various terrains and some off-roading as well.
What seems to get my goat is that Mahindra seems to have completely forgotten that after they sell a vehicle they are also providing services. Every time I have given it for servicing it takes the center at least 3 days to give it back and at no time was any major work required.
Its just a shame of a sevice center and the problem is that there is only one in town,so you don't have a choice.

The parts seem to be a problem and the worse is the attitude of the staff at the workshop. And if you are able to finally able to get hold of someone they generally have an answer that they will get back to me in 10 minutes. Since those 10 minutes my hairs have probably become white from gray.
There have been occasions when the vehicle had to be driven back to the service center as they had not put the steering properly, parts come back broken.
I wanted to highlight this issue as I bought this vehicle after I followed its development for almost a year prior and just love it.

Regards
tomtom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 16:29   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
I am not sure whether to put this here.I have a silver Thar crde which I bought last year .Wonderful vehicle to live with .I live in Dun and there are ample opportunities to use the vehicle to its fullest.its the after service which seems to suck. I have run it for 16000 kms in the last 12months,various terrains and some off-roading as well.
What seems to get my goat is that Mahindra seems to have completely forgotten that after they sell a vehicle they are also providing services. Every time I have given it for servicing it takes the center at least 3 days to give it back and at no time was any major work required.
Its just a shame of a sevice center and the problem is that there is only one in town,so you don't have a choice.

The parts seem to be a problem and the worse is the attitude of the staff at the workshop. And if you are able to finally able to get hold of someone they generally have an answer that they will get back to me in 10 minutes. Since those 10 minutes my hairs have probably become white from gray.
There have been occasions when the vehicle had to be driven back to the service center as they had not put the steering properly, parts come back broken. I wanted to highlight this issue as I bought this vehicle after I followed its development for almost a year prior and just love it. Regards
Dear tomtom - your story is not new. You followed the development for almost a year so I take it that you know "everything"! Amen! .

By the way, where is "Dun"? Is it Dehradun by any chance? Just curious to know where exactly you live.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th August 2013, 20:06   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Hi all is there any way to fix the highly uncomfortable accelerator position of the Thar CRDE? I find that I have to hold my foot up at a very sharp angle which causes fatigue and pain in the upper portion of my foot after just half an hour of driving. The accelerator position seems to be too high or too close to the driver. Me and a few of my friends are having the same complaint about the vehicle.

Has anyone else felt this problem?

Appreciate the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You'll have to keep in mind that you are advising 6'8" tall fellow. I feel the seat may have to be relocated. I drive a MM550 (same size as Thar), where I push the seat all the way back. And I am one foot shorter.
I am 6 feet even, 95kg. One of the first things I did after buying my Thar was to move the white metal tracks that the front seats slide in. Four of them, two each seat. I moved them straight back exactly 3 inches. This took 2 hours at a local do-it-all welding shop and cost...peanuts. This lets me slide the front seats backwards an extra 3 inches. To get the clearance needed to do this I had to remove the rear seat on the passenger side. The rear seat on the driver side is shorter and did not need any modification.

This change greatly improved my leg/foot position on the accelerator pedal and the pedals in general. I could have gotten by with moving the tracks back 2 inches but three works. Before the modification I sometimes had trouble hitting the brake pedal with my foot in an emergency. I hit the accelerator instead, leaving a few pedestrians in saucer-eyed terror. Cheap easy change well worth the money. The change does expose to sight the metal box under the passenger seat that holds the jacking equipment. If this is displeasing then you can easily cut a piece of rubber mat or carpet to fit on top of it to cover it up.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 28th August 2013 at 20:25.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 21:52   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
IYou will have to get used to it.
So true of so many aspects.
Any of you drove the first of the B275s? Factory fresh. The accelerator was only marginally lighter than the clutch!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th August 2013, 11:48   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear tomtom - your story is not new. You followed the development for almost a year so I take it that you know "everything"! Amen! .

By the way, where is "Dun"? Is it Dehradun by any chance? Just curious to know where exactly you live.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Morning Mr.Behram,
Thanks for replying. Yup kind of "everything" to a certain extent .
yes Dehradun for all my sins.
Regards
Old 29th August 2013, 12:48   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...........yes Dehradun for all my sins.........
Good to see a fellow Dehradun guy here. I would Suggest you also check out the Bosch dealer near Prince Chowk. Harry Wasson there has a nicely done up Thar and his workshop is pretty equipped as well. He also has contacts with Mahindra dealership to get work done quicker and in a better way. you can give my reference too. Harry is a good friend.

By the way another friend in doon, Siddharth, has a Rocky Beige Thar. Bone Stock and he is enjoying it to the most. He also got the brake upgrade done sometime back under warranty and his thar I must say is really good.

Maybe we can meet up when I'm in Dehradun for Diwali. We go on a lot of offroad trips, both bikes and jeeps around doon.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:17   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Good to see a fellow Dehradun guy here. I would Suggest you also check out the Bosch dealer near Prince Chowk. Harry Wasson there has a nicely done up Thar and his workshop is pretty equipped as well. He also has contacts with Mahindra dealership to get work done quicker and in a better way. you can give my reference too. Harry is a good friend.

By the way another friend in doon, Siddharth, has a Rocky Beige Thar. Bone Stock and he is enjoying it to the most. He also got the brake upgrade done sometime back under warranty and his thar I must say is really good.

Maybe we can meet up when I'm in Dehradun for Diwali. We go on a lot of offroad trips, both bikes and jeeps around doon.
Hi,
this work is with "contacts", ,imagine if it was without.
Would be great to meet up .
Regards
Old 29th August 2013, 13:29   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
One of the first things I did after buying my Thar was to move the white metal tracks that the front seats slide in. Four of them, two each seat. I moved them straight back exactly 3 inches.
Doesn't this make you have to reach out forward for the steering wheel as it is not adjustable for rake and reach? In other words, the highly uncomfortable "ape position" (short-legs, long arms).

For the other folks on here, Sawhney Motors near Narpatgiri Chowk, Somwar Peth, Pune 11 can be reached at 020-26128050.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:06   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this work is with "contacts", ,imagine if it was without.
Yes indeed. I own a Honda and through it I have experienced the best of after sales service ever. Part of the reason I am still reluctant to buy a Thar.(Other than the reason that it has zero safety and a track record of unreliability, specifically its front end, from the horror stories of front end breaking. I'm simply not confident enough on it to take my wife along on a long interstate trip. No Sir, Not at all! That said, I still look at one whenever I pass one and am still mesmerised by its shape. I love its shape and aura. Just wish Honda made it. I would have paid double the money had Honda or Toyota or Mitsubishi made it to their specifications and level of equipment.)

On the contacts part I believe that everything in India is done based on contacts and recommendations. Just that the "everything" excludes all companies Japanese. Indian firms have a lot to learn. Its simple. Top down approach. Even in Honda Car India, Indians work, but the style of working and the proactiveness comes from the top which is Honda Japan. But in other indian companies, sadly its not so. The top management itself has no proactiveness to pass down.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 15:09   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
Doesn't this make you have to reach out forward for the steering wheel as it is not adjustable for rake and reach? In other words, the highly uncomfortable "ape position" (short-legs, long arms).
In a word, no. I was a little concerned about just this but the arm position is okay. You have to remember that the same larger people who need leg room also usually have longer arms that easily reach the wheel.
Old 20th September 2013, 17:00   #671
Senior - BHPian

Well in the absence of any other suitable off roader available, sold my MM 550 and paid for a Thar, will get it in a couple of weeks I guess. Let it be there, may drive it sometimes.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 18:40   #672
BANNED

Re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Well in the absence of any other suitable off roader available, sold my MM 550 and paid for a Thar, will get it in a couple of weeks I guess. Let it be there, may drive it sometimes.
I am so much surprised with your decision. May I call it a U turn ? And How ?

A strange feeling comes to my mind, apologies in advance, was this whole thread a " Troll " or something ?

Well, all is well when the end is well.

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 19:16   #673
Senior - BHPian

Time to update the title

"Why I Bought a Thar"

@Desertfox, congrats,what color?,and i hope you will be getting the new updated one which got some upgrades a week back.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 19:39   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No Thar for me. I am much happier with my MM550, will spend a few thousand bucks to fabricate a new canopy, maybe get the body polished. After a couple of years if I do not find sandgripper tyres any more buy some 16 inch alloy wheels and change to Maxxis big horn or some similar tyres.

So the final diagnosis is that Thar is a failure in serious off roading.

MM550 till a Jeep Wrangler is launched and it is a real Jeep.
Did mahindra launched a new Thar?? or there is no wrangler ?? 45 pages, that too giving enough confusion for members and peoples who follows the forum, buyers.

Mods I think the entire thread should be deleted, Oh yes its 5 star thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th September 2013 at 23:22. Reason: fixed the quote
sreejeshmp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 20:36   #675
Senior - BHPian

This is one big anti-climax!! Did your own thread change your perspective in anyway? Or was it only because there was nothing else available?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks