Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 03:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!

Hi guys, I love this vehicle, but after recently becoming a dad this vehicle plan has hit a hurdle.

My wife just cannot accept it with the side facing seats and the soft top.

I think she is scared because me driving the Thar to the hospital will definitely draw attention from females.

I need to convince her that this vehicle can be used for our long trips. By the way is it comfortable for long trips? I routinely drive from Kerala to Bangalore. Is this vehicle reliable?

Have any of you modified the rear seats? Please give me a rough idea about the costs as well.

Another thing did any of you get the HT done in Bangalore? If not Bangalore, even anywhere in North Kerala is fine. Travelling to Hyderabad is not possible for me.

Also I feel ABS should have been fitted in this vehicle. Is Mahindra planning to provide it in the next generation Thar. I inquired at the Thar Facebook page about future models with ABS and mHawk engine, but sadly no one replied. ABS is needed for this vehicle.
Old 21st August 2014, 10:03   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Hi guys, I love this vehicle, but after recently becoming a dad this vehicle plan has hit a hurdle.

I think she is scared because me driving the Thar to the hospital will definitely draw attention from females.

*** No idea sir.

I need to convince her that this vehicle can be used for our long trips. By the way is it comfortable for long trips? I routinely drive from Kerala to Bangalore. Is this vehicle reliable?

*** If 4wd scorpio is reliable then THAR Crde is also reliable.

Have any of you modified the rear seats? Please give me a rough idea about the costs as well.

***Contact Rogan in coimbatore - @ 8000rs for front facing rear seats

Another thing did any of you get the HT done in Bangalore? If not Bangalore, even anywhere in North Kerala is fine. Travelling to Hyderabad is not possible for me.

*** Right now hyderbad HT is a right choice.

Also I feel ABS should have been fitted in this vehicle. Is Mahindra planning to provide it in the next generation Thar. I inquired at the Thar Facebook page about future models with ABS and mHawk engine, but sadly no one replied. ABS is needed for this vehicle.
*** No ABS or MHAWK in recent future.

*** Im am booking another black one today.
Old 21st August 2014, 22:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Is this vehicle reliable?

Reliable? Well, not exactly. Just go through few of the threads here.

You can install rear folding seats. I did mine from Hyderabad. Costs about 20K approx.Disadvantage is that you need to fold one seat every single time for entry and exit {If there are two rear passengers}.

The HHT is the best looking one out there IMO.And it can be installed in a day or two.
Regarding hard tops in Kerala you can get it done from Kottayam or Trichur. But it may take a month or so to fabricate the top.
Shipping the HHT is another option but it will be more expensive than traveling to Hyderabad

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2014 at 20:03. Reason: Post edited - spacing, grammar & spell-check.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

MARS or Alapana as they are called has a freight forwarding service and they send theur personnel all over India even to peoples homes to install the hard top. I got it done today i Gurgaon.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 00:59   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I need to convince her that this vehicle can be used for our long trips. By the way is it comfortable for long trips?
The Thar is not at all a comfortable vehicle for the rear passengers.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 09:42   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trust your wife's instinct on this one. The Thar CRDe is not a first family vehicle. It is purely a bacherlor or young couple/no kids/no in-laws vehicle. Buy it only if you can plan a second car for family/wife/kids. If you buy this as your primary vehicle, you will hear no end from your better half

[quote=ortho_surgeon;3510591]
[quote]
Front two seats are okay. If anyone has to use the rear seats, then that will probably be the last trip together

Quote:
Costs about 8.5K, can be done in coimbatore. However, getting in and out is not possible for older people and ladies in sarrees. Front facing seats can only be used for kids.

Quote:
Travelling to Hyderabad is not possible for me.

Also I feel ABS should have been fitted in this vehicle.
I believe Prabhu will send by crate to certain destinations and either a local tinker can install it (video instructions are available) or he will send someone to install at additional cost, I guess.

As, I mentioned the Thar was envisioned as a recreational off-road vehicle and hence safety is not the priority. For your need, the Duster 4x4 will meet your requirements completely. It dosn't have the jeep looks, but makes up in a whole lot of other ways.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 14:33   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Reliable?Well not exactly.Just go through few of the threads here.
Reliability tops my list. I usually drive do my long trips either early morning or late at night. I still remember a few scary instances when I had my Tata. But with my Swift and Ritz, I have never had a problem, as far as vehicle reliability goes. Touchwood!

Quote:
For your need, the Duster 4x4 will meet your requirements completely
The 4wd Duster is expected to cost 80k above the top end present model. That should 16 lakhs in Bangalore, given the high road tax. Now way above my budget.

Quote:
If anyone has to use the rear seats, then that will probably be the last trip together
That is exactly what she said.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 19:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reliability tops my list. I usually drive do my long trips either early morning or late at night. I still remember a few scary instances when I had my Tata. But with my Swift and Ritz, I have never had a problem, as far as vehicle reliability goes. Touchwood!
Don't even try to compare the reliability of THAR with the Marutis! Surely it is the only brand new jeep you can buy here, but a JEEP at the end of the day and Mahindra has ensured that most of the owners should get some feel of 'true' jeep experience by visiting the ASCs on regular basis to sort out something or other. If you are not so lucky, expect similar experiences and some hiccups for those kind of journeys. The THAR can be made to be used as a long drive vehicle if you are willing to compromise on quite a number of factors, some of which are not so small. So take a call by looking at the aspects beyond the front grill and the four letters associated with it .
Kandisa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 23:00   #99
BHPian

In case you decide to go for a Thar don't go for a second hand one especially one with an aftermarket AC. You will definitely have overheating problems.
Plus be prepared to spend 10-12k for upgrading the brakes.

The new Thars have improved Brakes and an exclusive "dual condenser fan".

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2014 at 20:02. Reason: Post edited - spacing.
Old 25th August 2014, 00:58   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 4wd Duster is expected to cost 80k above the top end present model. That should 16 lakhs in Bangalore, given the high road tax. Now way above my budget.
There are two versions planned one is the RXL 4x4 and the other the RXZ 4x4. RXL 4x4 should be about 80K more than the RXL 4x2.
Old 25th August 2014, 03:09   #101
Senior - BHPian

Is duster adventure the 4x4 version ? I see a test drive vehicle doing the rounds here.
Old 25th August 2014, 08:38   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Is duster adventure the 4x4 version ? I see a test drive vehicle doing the rounds here.
No, that's the one with few cosmetic changes.

Thar with the hard top, CFL, rear seats, bumpers, alloys and the rest of the bling will come close to the Duster. I guess it would make sense to go with the 4x4 base version Duster considering your needs.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2014 at 20:01. Reason: Post edited - spacing & grammar.
Old 25th August 2014, 10:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
No.Thats the one with few cosmetic changes.

Thar with the hard top,CFL,rear seats,bumpers,alloys and the rest of the bling will come close to the Duster.I guess it would make sense to go with the 4x4 base version Duster considering your needs.
When Renault does launch 4wd Duster, its going to be available only on the top end model. This information was given by a sales guy.

The sales guy also said that its expected to cost a lac more, so that makes it 15.3 on road in Bangalore.

In my earnest opinion, I feel paying 15.30 for a 4wd Duster is too much.

I agree that given the light weight and 4wd option, the Duster will be a great vehicle. But 15 lakhs is too much.
Old 25th August 2014, 23:02   #104
BHPian

Quote:
When Renault does launch 4wd Duster, its going to be available only on the top end model. This information was given by a sales guy.
It may be overpriced. But the point is that no amount of mods will make the Thar as comfortable or reliable as a Duster.

Buy the Thar only if you want to do some offroading or make the occasional Ladakh trip. Definitely not a family vehicle.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2014 at 20:00. Reason: Post edited - spacing.
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 15:15   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Reliability tops my list. I usually drive do my long trips either early morning or late at night.
Well contrary to other opinions, atleast in the last 3 years of usage and over 35K kilometers- I have had no issues with Reliability of Thar. Yes there were the initial visits for door setting - but that was that - after that it has been only a service at each 5K interval.

Have done Bangalore-Wayanad and Bangalore-Munnar and several other trips around Bangalore, as long as you have only 2 people and back space is used for luggage - I would anyday prefer taking the Thar on long drives . Aboslutely no question of Realibility there. I end up choosing the Scorpio for drive where there are more than 2 people travelling - purely because of comfort for rear passengers nothing to do with realibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Trust your wife's instinct on this one. The Thar CRDe is not a first family vehicle. It is purely a bacherlor or young couple/no kids/no in-laws vehicle. Buy it only if you can plan a second car for family/wife/kids. If you buy this as your primary vehicle, you will hear no end from your better half
Well this to a certain extent may be true...I have been driving around the Thar for a long time now as a primary vehicle. Are the back seats confortable - Absolutely Not. My kids still like seating at the back as probably gives the space - but comfort / safety - Absolutely none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Front two seats are okay. If anyone has to use the rear seats, then that will probably be the last trip together.
I would agree !

Most Viewed