Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 13:26   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Sir, this the fork pinion noise from Bell assy. Which is there in even new M&M vehicles like Major and Boleros. If you put engine in idling one can hear a small rattling noise and goes off when one load the clutch pedal. Normaly ASC removes the dust cap, Air clean and spray the lubricant inside.

Can you please share a non NGCS 550 number design what you have written below. It seems your ref to Majors number.
Dear Rajith - you are not correct. This is not fork noise. Cleaning and spraying the lubricant will not eliminate the noise, ASC is doing RRTP (right royal time pass) .

I have not understood the second paragraph at all, please clarify.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th April 2014, 13:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajith - you are not correct. This is not fork noise. Cleaning and spraying the lubricant will not eliminate the noise, ASC is doing RRTP (right royal time pass) .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,how do we justify this?
I have noticed this sound in 5 different thar's,all produced in different months.
So either its a manufacturing defect,or may be this is how is it supposed to be.
Old 24th April 2014, 14:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Less said about ASC the better.
There was a constant ricketing noise in the car. When the AC was on. In the Thar there is a console of relays located next to the gas pedal.
I am an electronics engineer and recognized the malfunctioning relay sound.

Went to RR Auto behing my office which is the ASC.

They pulled it out, the electrician was away. so the workshop supervisor pulled out a black relay with flasher written on it. I said are you sure this is the AC relay ?

They changed it and after 15 minutes the sound reappeared.

How much time one has to dedicate to Thar warranty repairs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Thanks guys! Feels like I have just taken delivery of the new vehicle!

Tires are stock. Bridgestone Dueler HT. Wanted to trade-in for AT earlier, but I was saving up for the hardtop, so skipped it.

Felt that too, but it has a string around the edge which can be used to make it tight. I was lazy to tighten it after filling in air the last time! And it flew away!

Thanks! The bravery ended once I reached the venue. At many points during the off-road trail, I was thinking what have I gotten myself into! Trust me, I was thinking about my life and not about the scratches on the new vehicle. But when it was over, I wanted to do it all over again!

No this is not the adventure version. Normal Thar with hardtop.

The top is the Hyderabad Hard Top with openable panels. There's a thread about it here: Hyderabad hard top
I paid arnd 77k (non-opening type costs less). You should check for the current prices.

You have very useful thread running! I haven't read all of it yet. Will be picking up more than a few pointers! Starting with door trigger.

Strange people! The same dealer who denied me the wheel cover invited my wife and me for a customer event at Wonderla, paying more than a full set of wheel covers. In the end I really liked the Jeep Cover, until it flew away, gotta buy one more!

Thanks for the offer! Will get back with questions.

Thanks for the appreciation!
Can you post some closer pictures of the hardtop panels and the edges to see how it fits.

Is automobile grade glass used in the hardtop rear windshield and windows.

How much improvement in airconditioning ?

Last edited by Aditya : 5th June 2014 at 11:31. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 24th April 2014, 15:18   #34
BANNED

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,

Then what ref below is the noise from releaser bearing.Normaly ASC remove the rubber boot cap near the slave cylinder lines and sprays air then Rustlik.

Please share the bumber design what you have ref in the earlier post.Hope your ref Major CL550 design.

Last edited by Rajith : 24th April 2014 at 15:29.
Old 24th April 2014, 16:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Less said about ASC the better. In the Thar there is a console of relays located next to the gas pedal. I recognized the malfunctioning relay sound. They changed it and after 15 minutes the sound reappeared. How much time one has to dedicate to Thar warranty repairs ?
Dear Shahidbhai - hello there after a long time, how's your vehicle running? My replies to your quote are as follows:

1. The "so-called relay" will occupy one excel file row in a huge warranty report. Even if it is reported that "the sound came back after 15 minutes", there will be a debate (if at all) on "what sound"? The "action" (if at all) will be "we forwarded the relay to the vendor and he says that it is OK"! Then what? Then, nothing!

2. "How much time one has to dedicate to warranty repairs"? You must be joking - it's ALL YOUR LIFE! .

Dear Rajith - it is not release bearing noise, it is something else. The bumper that I want in Thar is as in the photograph. You will have to cut the rivets off an old CJ3B / CJ500D / MM540 (old, non-NGCS) to remove it and then weld it on the Thar chassis and paint it in shining black color. As this part is as per the original JEEP bumper drawing, the vehicle will look exactly like a classic JEEP (killer!). Do it, nobody's done it so far!

You can see the original JEEP design outside rear view mirror also in the same photograph. Please scout around, in some Chor Bazaar if you find the mounting, buy it and use the TATA 407 mirror, your vehicle will look fabulous! You can do it on one vehicle yaar, you don't have the "constraints"!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-3.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 24th April 2014 at 16:53. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 02:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Exactly,this is how it sounds in mine.Can you tell me as to where exactly did they spray rust off?,i will get it done in mine ASAP,its going to be almost 4 months with this problem
This is what they did:
Lifted the vehicle and let the engine spin the wheels in 4WD mode.
Sprayed rust off into the shown area for the front two wheels.

Hope the picture is clear. It was sprayed towards the centre of the wheel. Maybe a little more left of the arrow (can't remember exactly!)

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-squeaking-noise-rust-off.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Congratulations Datvichrox2 and welcome to jeepers club.You really took the right decision in sticking to Thar as the Force motors is unpredictable .Wish you tons and tons of happy jeeping ahead
regards
praveen singh
Thanks for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Can you post some closer pictures of the hardtop panels and the edges to see how it fits.

Is automobile grade glass used in the hardtop rear windshield and windows.

How much improvement in airconditioning ?
The glass is automobile grade. It has a slight bluish-green tint to it.

There is no drastic change with the air conditioning at the front. But there is a noticeable improvement at the rear. I can't really compare this because the soft top was there for about a month before I put the hardtop. AC performance was good enough for me even with the softtop

On hot days, the metal targa band gets quite hot while the inside of the fibreglass panel remains almost at room temperature. So I believe this should help make the ac perform better.

Havent taken any close up pics yet, will update a little later.

Quote:
it is not release bearing noise, it is something else.
Could it be regular gear backlash? But why is this happening only during longer drives? Is heat causing this to happen?

Just to understand - why could this not be the release bearing noise?

Thanks,
Vimal
datvichrox2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 07:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what they did:
Lifted the vehicle and let the engine spin the wheels in 4WD mode.
Sprayed rust off into the shown area for the front two wheels.

Hope the picture is clear. It was sprayed towards the centre of the wheel. Maybe a little more left of the arrow (can't remember exactly!)
Thanks a lot Vimal.
One last query,did the remove/move rubber boot before spraying rust off?
Old 25th April 2014, 11:01   #38
BHPian

Congratulations datvichrox2 and many thanks for the detailed thread.

I am seriously contemplating on buying the Thar. Your thread and other the other great thar threads here have definitely helped sway my mind towards the Thar.

Looking forward to hearing more updates from you about the Thar!
Old 25th April 2014, 13:27   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thanks a lot Vimal. One last query, did the remove/move rubber boot before spraying rust off?
Dear akshay4587 - don't even think of touching the rubber boot. Some grease monkey will ruin the axle shaft of your vehicle. The "keech keech" noise comes because the grease seal inwards of the inner wheel bearing becomes dry. I will not go into the details of why it becomes dry (), I hope you got it. The correct thing to do will be to shift the shaft a little towards the axle center and lubricate this area. This should be done by technicians, not grease monkeys, so be careful. Spraying "something" is at best a band-aid only. Same thing happens in Maruti 800 also, this is nothing new (you get these inputs when you actually work in garages, otherwise "dhoondhte reh jaaoge").

Dear Vimal - it is not from the gear and it is certainly not regular (the "bad" and "good" parts are lying in my office in front of me yaar!) (). You are customer, please insist on a Permanent Corrective Action and do not back off until you get it. This PCA is straightforward engineering.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 25th April 2014 at 13:29.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 20:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to understand - why could this not be the release bearing noise?
Release bearing idle bystander when clutch pedal not pressed.

Possibly GB top bearing. Or essentially unloaded constant mesh pinions.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th April 2014, 08:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Release bearing idle bystander when clutch pedal not pressed. Possibly GB top bearing. Or essentially unloaded constant mesh pinions. Regards Sutripta
Dear Sutripta - release bearing is not an idle bystander when the clutch pedal is not pressed. It rotates 100% of the time that the engine runs. What you are referring to happens in old generation vehicles like the Ambassador / Maruti 800. This is not clutch bearing noise, neither it is unloaded constant mesh pinions. Dig a little deeper, you'll get the answer.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th April 2014, 20:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sutripta - release bearing is not an idle bystander when the clutch pedal is not pressed. It rotates 100% of the time that the engine runs.
In the Thar, is the release bearing on a (spring loaded) fork, or operated by a annular coaxial slave cylinder? An exploded parts diagram would be educative.

Quote:
Dig a little deeper, you'll get the answer.
Initially easier (at least to eliminate a few possibilities) would be to hear it in person, in the flesh! Any Calcutta based Thar owners with this problem who can oblige me?

You have not said anything about the top bearing, (or any of the bearings which are active when the vehicle is at standstill in neutral.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th April 2014, 11:12   #43
BHPian

My experience ,
It’s the clutch plate that is causing the sound.
Clutch plate has springs to give cushion between the friction plate & to the Gears. These springs come in 4 or 6 no/-sits in predetermined slot made by the manufacturer.
The slot has to be tight fit for the springs. Springs should not have play with the slot..
Any play will lead to the sound while engine idling. Once clutch is depressed, clutch plate becomes free from flywheel hence no sound.
Old times where pressure plate used to have fingers, first thing we did checking the springs of the clutch plate before buying a new clutch plate.
Old 27th April 2014, 16:05   #44
BANNED

Db sir I have Elanzo Supra on my thar and they are really doing a great job.Both on n off the road. I had first seen them on the 521 and had to do a lot of head breaking to get them.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-screenhunter_278_jul._07_23.35.jpg  

Old 28th April 2014, 10:20   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
I have Elanzo Supra on my thar and they are really doing a great job, both on nd off the road. I had first seen them on the 521 and had to do a lot of head breaking to get them.
Dear Drlmtukkar - hello there! I know that your comment is correct, still people waste perfectly good money to buy nonsensical tires, I wonder what is wrong with them! With Elanzos and a perfectly tuned suspension, 521 ran as if it was on rails. Please read the "Panvel to Alibag" drive review of August 2010, EXAMM of June 2010 and numerous occasions between Kandivli and Nasik. Now please do me a small favor. Knock off those (in my opinion) silly alloys, use production wheel rims, then see how dynamics improves! I am attaching two "drool" photographs to enable you to take this correct decision! .

Dear narendra.vw - you are partially correct, although it is not just loose springs, dig a little deeper, you will find the full answer, nevertheless, well done!

Dear Sutripta - your comment - "in the Thar, is the release bearing on a (spring loaded) fork, or operated by a annular coaxial slave cylinder? An exploded parts diagram would be educative" - the release bearing is fork operated. The slave cylinder is mounted outside the clutch housing. The operating mechanism is of Bolero VLX (exactly same part numbers, therefore used ). The pipe orientation is not suitable for hard core 4*4 application as it is oriented from the bottom and can break due to stone hit. Use Scorpio M2DI front brake pipe in this application with banjo bolt and two washers, reliability will become 100%. I had mentioned this on several occasions on the forum but upto now nobody has done it, do it naa guys, it takes only half an hour to fit, it will never ever fail yaar!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-p6254157.jpg  

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-p6254206.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed