Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 18:36   #76
BHPian

re: Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One very important thing you should take care before damping the floor is, waterproof and rust proof the sheet metal. Or else there will be build up of water vapour between the metal and damping sheet and it will rust. And of course the water being trapped.
Thanks Dhanush, yes that's a valid point we had did the normal paint job on the floor on top of the original one but this point of a thorough rust proofing not thought yet. Pointed noted for the next one
Old 4th April 2017, 19:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
I wish if the Xerox copy of the currency notes has the same value as it original , look and feel of anything can be replicated but not its performance !

The only intention in this mod is to enjoy that look and feel of G within the reach of my pocket, of course some engine mods are planned without deviating much from the OE setups and putting reliability into question. Some basic remapping are expected to increase the power by 20 to 25% which is more than enough for a normal SUV performance on and off roads
Absolutely agree with you

I did not mean power compared to that of the G-Wagen, but just that the Gurkha is underpowered as is, and add to that all the damping and upholstery weight, plus the body-reinforcements you mentioned earlier - all this can add up to quite a bit. I have not driven a lot of SUV's in this segment so cannot comment for sure, but IMHO, if you can achieve anything close to say the power to weight ratio of the Thar, that should be reasonable.
Old 16th April 2017, 16:59   #78
BHPian

Some more pictures from rear with Spare Wheel Cover installed -
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8089.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8090.jpg  

Anil Vincent is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 14:42   #79
BHPian

That is a very tastefully done mod! It is evident that you have put your heart and soul in the job!

Really appreciate you guys sharing all the information!

I have always seen the genes of a G Wagen in the Gurkha, afterall it is based on one of the older G Wagens.

However, as soon as one sees the interior of the Gurkha, even the new one for that matter, it is a big let down!

It would be interesting to see what you can do with the interiors of your G Wagen now!!

The biggest challenge might be the instument cluster. I hope you find a way to upgrade/replace it somehow.

Looking forward to more updates on the project!

Regards

Ishan
ishankpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 12:42   #80
BHPian

Amazing outcome, a true labor of passion
cjt2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 15:20   #81
BHPian

The best stance of this Indian G is its front facia, of course its a great viewing experience from any angle and side but the front facia is my personal favourite.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8604.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8601.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8605.jpg  

Anil Vincent is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 16:53   #82
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant outcome! Kudos
Old 26th April 2017, 12:29   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The best stance of this Indian G is its front facia, of course its a great viewing experience from any angle and side but the front facia is my personal favourite.
True! Looks smashing head on. Is any headlight upgrade planned? Would be good to match the kelvin rating of the headlight bulbs to the DRL, so that they don't stick out. Uniformity will look good.

I see new seats, please do share the interior pics as well.
Old 29th May 2017, 14:34   #84
BHPian

Dear All, sorry for a long gap in updating, I was busy at work. Posting here with the interior pictures, in between Biju had also travelled to Kerala only to try Gurkha for the first time.

Ths sound damping and some basic interior upgrades has given a whole new feel to drive and passenger comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8491.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8034.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8492.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8494.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8497-2.jpg  

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_8500-3.jpg  

Anil Vincent is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 15:01   #85
BHPian

That is some impressive work on both the exterior and the interior! Great commitment on your part to go through with this, not only with the finances but also with the time. The tilt to the D-Pillars is really subtle but really helps complete the look and give it a more authentic G-Wagen look.

Just out of curiosity; are the Merecedes parts genuine? Where were they sourced from and what were the costs? If you don't mind of course.

Also check out this page www.merteil.com ; they have genuine Mercedes parts for all models and you might find something useful there. I've used their services personally and they are very helpful even helping source parts they don't have in stock.

My suggestions would be black out the rims to give it the AMG look. Maybe try sourcing the front guard? Also not sure if it would work, but would be amazing if you could modify the current exhaust set up to the G63's side mounted set up, or maybe just bolt on a pair of exhaust tips on the side for purely aesthetic purposes, and leave the exhaust as it is.

Good luck with the rest of the build!
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 16:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All, sorry for a long gap in updating,
That was some amazing work. Now that you have the template ready, are you going to take up work on the second Gurkha?
Old 31st May 2017, 17:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

Mindblowing stuff. The exteriors look simply fabulous. As re the interiors, please consider changing the steering wheel, the OE one looks so out of place.

Also what mods have you planned for the engine? afterall, this one needs to have the go to match the show!!
Old 11th June 2017, 17:14   #88
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover

Dear All, we are really enjoying the admiration and road presence the Indian G is giving, though this replica is no where near to the real G, it is not any behind it from being a serious head turner on road.

Gurkha has turned to be a highly respected & drive any where car, it's worth all the investment we made on it. No any serious off roading done yet other than beaches and some hill climbing, however after monsoon in Kerala and with the second G getting ready some drives are planned.

Enjoy some pictures -
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-file061.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-file085a.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-file050.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-file093a.jpg

He is the man behind the execution of this whole project, my brother Anish Vincent
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-file095.jpg
Anil Vincent is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 14:36   #89
BHPian

Indian G - during one of the drives, location near to Athirapally Falls, Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-file022abcd.jpg  

Anil Vincent is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 15:29   #90
BHPian

Brilliantly done. Hats off to your dedication

A couple of questions
1. Where did you source the OEM parts from?
2. If you are ok with it, what is the ballpark figure you spent on the entire project?

Cheers! And enjoy the monsoons
akshaymahajan is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks