Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 09:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

hey,
I stay in chennai and planning to drive the jeep to work. You know the situation in metros. You have to turn lock to lock to get yourself out. P/s is an absolute essential. Have the swaps from Bolero & sumo P/s been successful??

On/Off sway bars, diff locks have been seen but not P/s. I guess it is possible in electronic P/s like in marutis. But i guess not possible in hydraulic p/s.

regrds
vinod

Also
Old 11th October 2007, 10:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

I too stay in Chennai and drive an MM540XD to work, never felt the need to turn that hard, I guess the JEEPs have made me a very relaxed driver.
Old 11th October 2007, 10:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2) Better developed Shoulders, Arms and Neck
So along with exercising your mind (by enjoying the off-roading) you exercise your arms and legs as well..

Old 11th October 2007, 13:41   #19
BHPian

Thats what I was saying !
I dont think I wanna arm wrestle with your jeepie toned ceps!
Old 11th October 2007, 16:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I too stay in Chennai and drive an MM540XD to work, never felt the need to turn that hard, I guess the JEEPs have made me a very relaxed driver.
Hi,
I agree with you that MM540 xd is managable. I had a MM540 dp 4x4 two years back and was most comfortable driving that. However it depends what kind of tyres u have. I think you run on army spec tyres , which are wide but still manageable, try driving a 215/75 R15 on a tar road and you will know the difference. Boleros without P/s and wide tyre configuration are very hard to manage in the city no matter how big biceps/ arms you have!

vinod
Old 12th October 2007, 10:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Manual Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi,
I However it depends what kind of tyres u have. I think you run on army spec tyres , which are wide but still manageable, try driving a 215/75 R15 on a tar road and you will know the difference. Boleros without P/s and wide tyre configuration are very hard to manage in the city no matter how big biceps/ arms you have!

vinod
1) The army MRF "SANDGRIP"/Apollo "BULLET" are 7.50x16 i.e 31" Tall
2) They are about 210mm Wide and 3" Taller than the 215/75/15
3) I have broken the steering rod Twice and upgraded to the recirculating Ball Type with Universal Joints i.e From the post 1998 Armada.

My experience with a Bolero Camper 4WD with 275/70/15 was also not that difficult.

Dude you've got the Manual Power Steering Concept Wrong, you don't use your Arms..........use your whole body

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th October 2007, 09:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

hi arka,
Hi,
Could you please help me with a nice MM540 DP 4x4, not before 2001? Also i guess u converted a 2wd into a 4wd. Where did u get the job done???
Also do u get a wine from transfer case when u cross 60 kmph on road? I had that problem in old 540. The noise is similar to stallion 4x4 trucks on a high speed. I dont know if u observed the same.
Iam also considering your suggestion to have 2 vehicles for on and off road.

regards
N.vinod
Old 13th October 2007, 13:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

p/s swap

Quote:
M&M Legend
Chassis - NGCS
Engine - MDI3200TC
GBox - Isuzu 5 Speed or NGT520 with t-Case
Steering - Re-Circulating Ball Manual - Can be easily swapped with a Bolero 4WD PS or a TATA Estate/SUMO PS
A/C - OEM

Personally Don't Worry too much about the PS, its better to use a Manual Steering for various reasons
1) better feel on & off-road
2) Better developed Shoulders, Arms and Neck
3) CHEAPER!!!!!!!

Regards,

Arka
Hi arka

U mentioned about P/S swap from sumo/sierra/estate/safari to manual recircualting ball in non power assisted mahindras. ARe they really successful??

Have there been success stories?

regards,
vinod
Old 15th October 2007, 10:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

The T-Case Whine is affectionately known as the JEEP Song (among the Indian JEEPers), caused by the Spur Gears in the T-Case.

There are some MM540DPs but all are pre -2001.

I have seen successful and botched up P/S installation on JEEPs.

Regards,

Arka
Old 15th October 2007, 12:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

i didnt know the T- Case song was an inherent part of a jeep!!! endeded up spending lot of money to eliminate it.....but thats a history now!

Ok, if some good MM 540 's are there in chennai then pl do suggest me...Alsowould like to meet u all jeprs in chennai once... do tell me the venue and time

regards,

vinod
vinod_nookala is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th November 2007, 17:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Scary

I drove a brand new four wheel drive Bolero just last week in Chandigarh. It comes with the XD3PU engine, no other engine possible with 4x4 they told me. I had not gone 100 meters with it before I decided against it. It had absolutely no power, no pickup from a standing start. So much so that I feared pulling into traffic on a busy road. The handling as mentioned earlier is vague, no feedback thru the wheel. I am going MM550 hunting (I believe who ever told you that it is called 'CL' is mistaken) and I am going to try to find a Maruti Gypsy to test drive. Also, Bolero has a relatively long wheel base for its size. This may help the ride but it will not help it escape getting hung up on rocks and ridges on rough terrain. THe Bolero does not get my vote.
I dearly wish Force would regain its sanity and sell Gurkha/Judo in India. But since that will not happen I am also toying with the idea of buying a 4x4 Scorpio and modifying it more for off road. The possibility of damage to the 'multi-link' torsioned rear end has me concerned.

Keep posting, 'ay? I for one, seem to be traveling a similar road or off-road as you.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The LEGEND is still available, they created a hype that its on invitation.
For further info you can PM me.

The MM540s Had two types of Front Axle
1) Full-Floating Closed Knuckle with King Pin - 1985-2004

2) Full-Floating Open Knuckle with Ball-Joints - 2004 ( though this was introduced in 2001 on the Boleros)

Regards,

Arka
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and would like to buy a Mahindra Legend. Do you have any contacts to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey DirtyDan,

I spoke to some people at force motors yesterday and they are going to take bookings for the Gurkha again. It's probably the most capable and most ugliest hard core 4x4 available in India now, ofcourse excluding the the basic CL500 jeeps. I still love the looks of the MM550 and it would be my first preference. But if I can't get a hold of an MM550, I will settle for the Gurkha. Outside of the ugly looks and the cheap interiors, it has all the off-road hardware you need.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Arka,

My dad uses a 10 year old Tatamobile 207 Double Cab in the farm. It has no Power Steering and the thing is practically falling apart. Atleast all the rubber and plastic pieces have fallen off, but the thing still starts and runs.

Unfortunately my dad had to undergo by-pass surgery and he finds it difficult to drive without power steering. I was thinking of getting him a scorpio getway but we really us it as a farm vehicle and didn't want to spend that much. I was happy with the bolero camper, but looks like only the 2 door version comes with power steering. Do you think it would be possible to install a power steering from a bolero onto the camper? Do you know of any good mechanics in chennai who will do it? Approximately how much will it cost?

Thanks,
Old 19th November 2007, 22:36   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

One more question on the bolero camper to the experts on this forum. The Mahindra website says that the four wheel drive camper comes with the four speed gearbox as opposed to 5 speed. Is this correct?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks