Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 01:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It even had a complex security system whose details I won't devulge.
My hopes of obtaining one dwindle further. Any of you have a list of Mahindra owned and operated dealers/service centers who, like GTO's Milestone dealer, might be able to do a first rate restore?
Old 13th January 2009, 11:24   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It even had a complex security system whose details I won't devulge.
Just a hint for the others : Some parts of the security system have been sourced from the Army. PM me for more details.

Quote:
The AC is a chiller, reminded me of Baleno AC and it held the cool temp pretty well throughout the drive.
Hell ya, I had to ask you to lower the thersmostat. My nose went all red

Quote:
The visibility thorugh the plastic windows is as not as good as my doorless Jeep. I at least jumped two red lights since I was following the car in front than watching the traffic lights.
And you call yourself a safe driver!

Quote:
Meanwhile GTO finally understood how the backseat of his Jeep feels like. It launched him at every small bump and his head hit the soft top steel support everytime. The suspension was harder than my Jeep, every bump hit back hard, that is because of a recent suspension overhaul.
Let me put it this way : I was politely reminded of why that seat is called the mother-in-law bench!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Any of you have a list of Mahindra owned and operated dealers/service centers who, like GTO's Milestone dealer, might be able to do a first rate restore?
Behram's the man to point you in the right direction. I guess he hooked Samurai up with a competent dealer down south too.

@ Dirty Dan : I recollect you asking about the FE. Well, it's not as good as on the ol' 2.1. The 2.5 is still young and is probably not in peak efficiency mode yet. At this time, it is giving me about 10.2 kpl in Mumbai, and 12ish on the highway. Either figure is with air-con.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2009 at 12:38.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:25   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6) ...Also, the side mirrors were extended out like elephant ears and not in the best angle, it kept moving too. The visibility thorugh the plastic windows is as not as good as my doorless Jeep. ..
Does this mean that visibility wise the classic style side mirrors are not as good as the normal ones or its just because of being new to this style of mirrors? They do look lot better on the outside appearance.
Quote:
8) Meanwhile GTO finally understood how the backseat of his Jeep feels like. It launched him at every small bump and his head hit the soft top steel support everytime.
Getting that sort of treatment in one's own jeep definitely doesn't feel good!
Old 13th January 2009, 14:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At this time, it is giving me about 10.2 kpl in Mumbai, and 12ish on the highway. Either figure is with air-con.
My heavy, nasty old Spacio with its 3.0L gets 10.1 city, 12.6 hwy. I do not know what it gets with the a/c on. After 2 years of trying to get my a/c to work I have only succeeded in starting a small electrical fire in the dash. At first I thought it was my heater finally working but...alas, no.

I wonder if the Milestone guys turned up your fuel pump a bit.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:25   #140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Does this mean that visibility wise the classic style side mirrors are not as good as the normal ones or its just because of being new to this style of mirrors? They do look lot better on the outside appearance.
The visibility is far out. However, you have to watch out for pedestrians. Don't wanna knock someone in the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
My heavy, nasty old Spacio with its 3.0L gets 10.1 city, 12.6 hwy.
The Spacio is a DI which I believe is more efficient. Plus, the 13 kms drive back home takes 45 - 50 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic. I expect an improvement once the engine has set in, but not more than 10% tops.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:29   #141
BHPian

Great Work Sir!!!! Jeep looks awesome .

Nicest thing you have on your Jeep -" Team-BHP " logo on rear bumper.

Thanks and keep advising us.

Tarkesh
Old 13th January 2009, 20:10   #142
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

New wine in the old Bottle! Congrats

Dwarak
Old 14th January 2009, 00:14   #143
fk7
BHPian

Hi GTO,

your jeep was one of the main reasons I even started thinking about buying a jeep. Such an immaculately maintained piece. I have now procured a military MM550.

I have some queries about the security system. Is it against theft and protection for the jeep? Can it be procured easily? do i have send you a PM regarding this?

Regards

FK
Old 14th January 2009, 08:05   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
GTO,

New wine in the old Bottle! Congrats

Dwarak
@Dwarak: The old bottle makes one go for the wine. And in this case, the new wine should definitely taste better!
Old 14th January 2009, 10:06   #145
BHPian

Another Inspiration for us Infidels.

A great one indeed!

Regards

Vinay Rathore
Old 17th June 2009, 09:06   #146
BHPian

I just love this jeep very much.it has got stunning looks and this jeep can be an example for the curious case of benjamin button.

Is mahindra still producing this Mahindra 4x4 classic ?

Last edited by Rude7 : 17th June 2009 at 09:21.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:48   #147
GTO
Team-BHP Support

12 months up since I created this thread, and what a heck of a year it's been. When you reach out for the keys of your 12 year car over the newer & quicker steeds from a garage, she's gotta be something special. The entire purpose behind swapping a brand new XD3P motor was reliability. Mission accomplished.

A summary of the past 12 months:

Breakdowns = None
Offroad adventures = 25+
Total kms covered = 11,000 odd

Parts Replaced

- Left rear axle broke when reversing out of her parking spot. T'was the original '97 OEM fitment. Changed all 4 axles as preventive maintenance, considering the kind of terrain she's been cruising on.

- LHS brake line. Took a weird angle on an OTR and busted the brake plumbing. Cost about a thousand bucks.

Preventive Maintenance:

- Brand new oversized high-flow radiator.

- OEM Brake booster. Wasn't available at the time of my engine swap. Changed on the first visit. Again, preventive maintenance.

- Three oil changes (1,000kms, 5,000 kms and 10,000 kms mark).

- I also got the seats totally redone for a cost of Rs. 6,000 (new upholstery, foam etc.).

Coming up soon:

- Ground clearance Ongoing discussion

- Some misc. paint work. Bonnet rust needs attention (been that way for 3 years now).

From standing in one spot for nearly 2 years, on a wretched petrol engine install, to a competent reliable offroader, it's been some transformation. @ Behram : Once again, thanks for arranging the brand new 2.5 engine & getting my Jeep back on the road.

I'll let some pictures do the rest of the talking:

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-200903-off-roading-40.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc02816.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc02825.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-img_3340.jpg

We decided to give her a spot in the (only available) building garage:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00387.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2009 at 18:14.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 17:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

congrats GTO and wish you many more miles with smiles.

And nice pics too, but did you manage to come out of this dry slush in 2nd pic ?

She is a sweetheart as i reckon and truly deserves the nicely covered parking spot and thats called Pampering.

cheers
Old 21st July 2009, 09:49   #149
BHPian

Hey Congrats man. I am still struggling for Vitamin M for my CJ 340. Have a lot to do now . But if god helps everything will fall in place in another 3 to 4 months. Eagerly awaiting in taking her to where she belongs.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:34   #150
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
congrats GTO and wish you many more miles with smiles.

And nice pics too, but did you manage to come out of this dry slush in 2nd pic ?
Thanks Sunny. Sure did come out of that tight spot. Here's a vid:

Quote:
thats called Pampering.
She's been a dependable companion for over a decade. The least that she deserved, wot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
But if god helps everything will fall in place in another 3 to 4 months. Eagerly awaiting in taking her to where she belongs.
Wish you luck, Baburaj. Old jeeps need a ton of patience to set right, note that the right garage / mechanic can make all the difference.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks