Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 16:19   #121
Senior - BHPian

I can not speak for the Peugeots but in other countries one of the reasons people buy diesels is for their longevity. It is normal for a Ford or Cummins light/medium truck diesel (Tata) to go 450K without ANY problem whatsoever, and to still run like new or very nearly so.
Old 1st August 2008, 16:27   #122
BHPian

Additionally , the diesels take a severe beating in the stop and go traffic in the city. Most of the high mileage success stories are predominantly highway vehicles. I am yet to see a purely city driven car with high mileage on it and no engine rebuild

My .02$
Old 1st August 2008, 16:31   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Additionally , the diesels take a severe beating in the stop and go traffic in the city. Most of the high mileage success stories are predominantly highway vehicles. I am yet to see a purely city driven car with high mileage on it and no engine rebuild

My .02$
Most of Tata stable cars we have had have done 110-120K with city and highway mix. None of them had engine problems. The bane of diesels is redlining. If you are driving a diesel close to max rpm, you are asking for trouble.
Old 2nd August 2008, 00:39   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Red MM340 (actually it is CL340) / Mr.Gaurav Prabhakar,

My comments are given in bold after each of your query.

This would mean that the XD3 is not just a bored out version of the XDP4.90. Correct? - you are correct, they belong to the same family but the XD3 cylinder block has strengthening ribs for handling the extra power.

Can you comment on why M&M went with a dry liner in the newer XD3, as a dry liner does not cool as effectively as a wet liner? - it is not correct to presume that one is good over the other. In XD3, the piston is in the block in OE and liners may be used for reconditioning. Both cooling systems are capable for their own power / torque outputs. In case of wet liner, a complete overhaul kit is available which includes the liners with new pistons. As replaced, the engine becomes as good as new. It is for the user to decide what he wants

Is the cylinder head of the XDP4.90 the same as the XD3? If not what are the differences? - the cylinder heads are different. The XD3 head is stronger to handle the power / torque. You can see the ribbings in the casting next to the injectors. The combustion chamber layout details are different.

What about the Scorpio 2.6 engine? Is this a wet or dry liner? I know for a fact that its cylinder head is cast iron and very heavy. Can a XD3 lightweight aluminum head be used in its place? - this is the NEF engine and is a dry liner in OE. There is no harm in having a cast iron cylinder head.

Lastly can you comment on the new 2.2 mHawk engine in terms of wet vs. dry liners. Can its 16 valve head be adapted to the 2.6 / XD3 / XDP4.90 ? - The mHawk is a DOHC 16 valve engine and parts are obviously not interchangeable as the engineering dynamics are entirely different.

It is futile to try and fit something of some engine on to another engine. It does not work that way. I recommend that nobody should resort to such practices. You will only waste money. Normally, the person's ego makes him want to do something to his vehicle just for the heck of it. If you want more power, buy a more powerful vehicle. Then it will work properly (reliably). It is as simple as that.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi there Behram,

Come on buddy, you need to ease up on the modification thing. Yes it cost money, but it is not a waste. Believe me, that the stock 2.6 can make a lot more power if tuned right.

You seriously need to take a test drive in my tuned MM340 or CL340. It is a 200hp blast. Guaranteed. No need to by a 20L vehicle.

My next project is to add a tuned Scorpio 2.6 to my MM550! That should give Scorpios on the road a good shock when passed!

Regards,
Old 2nd August 2008, 13:19   #125
Senior - BHPian

wow redmm, would love to test drive your beast! But the jeep must have cost you atleast around 10L ? after all the mods
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:52   #126
BHPian

Chevron Delo-400 meets API-CI4 plus.
Old 11th November 2008, 10:11   #127
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big Daddy of Jeeps - Mr. Behram Dhabhar - gave my Jeep his seal of approval yesterday! Guru asked me to change the direction of the air-intake but, other than that, was satisfied with the overall setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-moto_0281.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2008 at 10:13.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2008, 10:55   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big Daddy of Jeeps - Mr. Behram Dhabhar - gave my Jeep his seal of approval yesterday! Guru asked me to change the direction of the air-intake but, other than that, was satisfied with the overall setup.
Wow, the best recent snap of Behram Sir so far on the forum. I can imagine the quality of your classic now!
Old 11th November 2008, 11:29   #129
Team-BHP Support

Ah! I can finally put a face to that strong and confident voice on the phone. GTO, it must have been a rush to receive such a appraisal.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2008, 11:49   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GTO,
Surely, you have received a certification from the highest authority. Thanks to you, now I know the face of the person with a respected name.
Fazal
Old 11th November 2008, 12:11   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you GTO and guys for your lovely comments. Strong and confident, yes that's me. I like that Sharath.

Yes, finally it happened. I met GTO yesterday. I spent quality time with him. I also drove MH15K7058, his black CL340 classic. For a vehicle which has covered 1.75 lakh kms and has been through 2 major rebuilds (the first being a disaster and the second a grand revival), I liked the way the car behaved. A lot of work behind the scenes obviously by Ferdie. Besides the air cleaner orientation, I found the air intake noise a shade on the higher side for which the air intake plumbing needs to be worked upon. The clutch actuating cable needs a bit of attention as pedal effort was a shade on the higher side. The third gear synchronizer is also settling in. getting bedded in. The car needs a coat of paint to keep the corrosion at bay, as usual Ferdie to the rescue. Also do let me know how much the tyres have run. They were not at their best yesterday.

Happy 4 wheeling to you GTO and all teamBHPians. I am missing my red coloured CL340, MH01P8300. Now help me get one for myself. See you again very soon.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2008, 13:38   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A lot of work behind the scenes obviously by Ferdie.
Truly. Ferdie has bent over backward for this Jeep.

Quote:
The clutch actuating cable needs a bit of attention as pedal effort was a shade on the higher side.
Will get the cable checked over the next service.

Quote:
The third gear synchronizer is also settling in.
The minute this man sits in my Jeep, and at the first shift through the gears, he mutters "Hmmm, so you got a new synchoniser for the 3rd gear"? How did he know in ONE shift?!

Quote:
The car needs a coat of paint to keep the corrosion at bay, as usual Ferdie to the rescue.
Thinking of getting this done next year. Only the bonnet has corrosion. Period.

Quote:
Also do let me know how much the tyres have run.
About 30,000 kms (I think), decent grippy tread left. I think you have been spoilt by driving newer (bigger) Jeeps

Quote:
Now help me get one for myself.
Will keep an eye out. I told you about one immaculate example yesterday!
Old 11th November 2008, 16:32   #133
BHPian

Dear Mr. Behram,

I see that you are looking out for an 340, i know some one who has a piece for sale, you can call me on +91 9342265775,

till then best regards
Vinay Thomas
--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Thank you GTO and guys for your lovely comments. Strong and confident, yes that's me. I like that Sharath.

Yes, finally it happened. I met GTO yesterday. I spent quality time with him. I also drove MH15K7058, his black CL340 classic. For a vehicle which has covered 1.75 lakh kms and has been through 2 major rebuilds (the first being a disaster and the second a grand revival), I liked the way the car behaved. A lot of work behind the scenes obviously by Ferdie. Besides the air cleaner orientation, I found the air intake noise a shade on the higher side for which the air intake plumbing needs to be worked upon. The clutch actuating cable needs a bit of attention as pedal effort was a shade on the higher side. The third gear synchronizer is also settling in. getting bedded in. The car needs a coat of paint to keep the corrosion at bay, as usual Ferdie to the rescue. Also do let me know how much the tyres have run. They were not at their best yesterday.

Happy 4 wheeling to you GTO and all teamBHPians. I am missing my red coloured CL340, MH01P8300. Now help me get one for myself. See you again very soon.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th November 2008, 07:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

HI, do you have pictures of how the correct orientation of the air intake should be?

Thanx
Old 12th January 2009, 21:46   #135
Team-BHP Support

I finally got to drive this famous Classic in the saturday morning Mumbai traffic.

Let's start from the first step, that is looking under the hood.

1) Under the hood it looks more like a car than a Jeep, I mean lot of modern components. I have come to realise that every Jeep is unique under the hood (and outside too) after numerous modifications over the years. This one had lots of Bolero components and even a Sierra compressor(??).

2) It was lower than my CJ340. But that also means stable handling. The plastic doors were a great addition to provide complete protection from elements. The dashboard makes my Jeep feel like a relic, with a indication light for every operation. It even had a complex security system whose details I won't devulge.

3) Driving time. As I slid into the driver seat, my wife naturally took the shotgun position. That relegated the owner of the Classic into the backseat that he had never managed to enjoy or suffer till that date.

4) I closed the doors and started the engine, it purred into life more like a car than a Jeep. The engine noise is very muted, I mean for a diesel non-CDRi Jeep. The AC is a chiller, reminded me of Baleno AC and it held the cool temp pretty well throughout the drive.

5) The first gear slotted very fluidly and clicked into place. Again I was reminded that every Jeep drives differently and behaves differently. But people who drive Jeeps regularly have very high tolerance levels and can adopt quickly. In my Jeep, every gear change is preceded by flexing of my elbow and wrist muscles, if not it hurts later. None of that nonsense was required here.

6) The general Mumbai traffic is lot more aggressive compared to small town or village traffic that I am used to now. So I found myself yielding lot more than a typical Jeep. And I drove slowly than a typical Mumbai city driver, I was not familiar with the roads and I was driving an unfamiliar Jeep I didn't own. Also, the side mirrors were extended out like elephant ears and not in the best angle, it kept moving too. The visibility thorugh the plastic windows is as not as good as my doorless Jeep. I at least jumped two red lights since I was following the car in front than watching the traffic lights. Hey, I live 70Kms from the nearest traffic light, so give me a break.

7) GTO wanted me to rip the Jeep and feel the extra torque from the 2.5L Jeep, but being a sedate driver I couldn't quite manage it in the city roads. He also wanted me to test the disk brakes by braking hard, but I again failed that test. Since I rarely use the brakes on my Jeep other than for complete stop, that too didn't come naturally to me.

8) Meanwhile GTO finally understood how the backseat of his Jeep feels like. It launched him at every small bump and his head hit the soft top steel support everytime. The suspension was harder than my Jeep, every bump hit back hard, that is because of a recent suspension overhaul.

The 13Kms drive in Mumbai roads with chilling AC and iPOD enabled music almost made us forget we were riding/driving a Jeep, the harsh ride was our only link to reality.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks