Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:27   #121
BANNED

I just remembered you own the PROWLER.

Thats the most recognised Jeep in India.

Why go after a Classic or Major?

Converting a Major to look like a Classic is missing the point. Cosmetics are secondary for a Jeep. It just being a Jeep is good enough.

I helped someone make the CL340DP "look" exactly like the Classic. He spend around 20k. Nothing changed mechanically though.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:12   #122
BHPian

Hi Spitfire,
Thanks for your complement on my Prowler, though its tooooooo much overated. I agree cosmetics are secondary, but, I derive better pleasure if Iam getting both, performance and good looks,,,, I meant in a jeep ;-)
Old 4th June 2009, 06:58   #123
Senior - BHPian

Doc,

Here is my assumption on Major

1. Major with Di engine
2. NGT or BA10 gear box
3. No LSD in front and rear
4. Comes with Disk break and power assistance
5. No power steering
6. A medium chassis one.

Ok, now converting this specs to Classic (you anyway can't make it to SWB)

1. Front bull bar - Rs. 3500 + Nickle charges
2. Rollover bar - Rs. 6000 - Rs.10000 based on your taste
3. Alloy wheels + Radial tyres - Rs. 55000
4. Paint job - Rs. 15000
5. Misc. parts such as side view mirrors, insect mesh for the grill, front tow hook and things like that - Rs. 3000
6. Dash board (only if you wish to alter), in my opinion the Bolero dashboard fits pucca in jeep. If my classic dash board spoils I will stop and shop for bolero's dash board. - Rs. xxxx
7. The rear seat in Classic is actually a mess, do you really want that ? it will cost you Rs. 2500

Now sum up the above to arrive at some rough estimation for your project. I have not included the labor cost though.
Old 4th June 2009, 08:09   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Ok, now converting this specs to Classic (you anyway can't make it to SWB)
Siva, yes you can make it SWB if you cut the chassis: I know atleast 3 jeeps that have been converted to SWB

& Doc, If you think of parting with the prowler, think of me!!

Cheers

Last edited by headers : 4th June 2009 at 08:23.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:19   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
offroad_maniac:

Don't mean top sound rude man, but you looked at the picture of the Souvenir and thought it was based on SWB Classic, so forgive me for being skeptical about a SWB jeep from Mahindra.
are there any of these souvenirs on road? has anybody seen one? as for me, I just bought a 4X4 MWB jeep for cheap and plan to make a replica of the souvenir on it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1433108-post401.html

Last edited by 14000rpm : 15th August 2009 at 10:20.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:42   #126
BANNED

Wow the to be Jeep looks cool, thats another jeep down the list for restoration !!!
Old 15th August 2009, 17:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Around late last year I was planning to buy a new Mahindra Major and get it customised on the souvenir concept. This was before I bought the MM550!!!
So anyways, I saw the vehicle (Souvenir) in the showroom and have pictures.
Do let me know if you are interested I will upload them here
Old 15th August 2009, 18:44   #128
BHPian

Harjeev, Yes looking forward to see the pictures. Since many of us havent seen Souvenir in reality or images except these pictures in the begining of this thread.
Old 15th August 2009, 23:23   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Around late last year I was planning to buy a new Mahindra Major and get it customised on the souvenir concept. This was before I bought the MM550!!!
So anyways, I saw the vehicle (Souvenir) in the showroom and have pictures.
Do let me know if you are interested I will upload them here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Harjeev, Yes looking forward to see the pictures. Since many of us havent seen Souvenir in reality or images except these pictures in the begining of this thread.
+1 to that. Harjeev, none of us got to see it on road and guess yours is the 1st personal encounter. post them pix here. more info/images always helps.
Old 15th August 2009, 23:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

trust me guys, major converted into souvenir doesnt look good at all!

its dud!

Harjeev please post the photos and show the guys how it looks!
Old 16th August 2009, 08:19   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
trust me guys, major converted into souvenir doesnt look good at all!

its dud!

Harjeev please post the photos and show the guys how it looks!
hmm. a dampner to start with eh. Then post the pics quicker coz that way I can study the flaws on that conversion and built on to make a better one. Good way to start I guess. Now that I've bought this jeep, I don't intend to make it SWB or a pseudo CJ340. It has to definitely end up being spruced up. With all the energy in the 4X4 bandwagon, I'm left out. I need to catch up and real fast at that. what say fellas?
Old 16th August 2009, 10:18   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I have uploaded pictures that I took in December of the Mahindra Souvenir concept vehicle
Personally I think its too expensive(225k for modification and 550k for the basic vehicle 20-30k for the transport of the vehicle from Delhi to Mumbai approx) for this kind of modification and that too only for cosmetics (leaving aside the roll bar). The CJ3B till date all expenses included has cost me 160k. Not to mention even after paying so much about 800k you still cant register this vehicle in NCR. If I ever would have to spend so much cash there are load of other options available like the Gurkha, 4WD Bolero's, Tata Xenos etc

Plus the statement the vehicle gives is not something that goes with my liking or maybe its because the shape of the MM550 and the CJ3B is now growing on me
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image002.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image003.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image004.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image005.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image010.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image012.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image014.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image015.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image016.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image019.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image020.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image024.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image025.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image026.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image031.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image033.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image034.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image035.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image037.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image039.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image040.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image041.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image044.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image045.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image047.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image048.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image049.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image050.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image051.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-image053.jpg  

harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2009, 12:11   #133
BHPian

Harjeev, a good photo documantation of Mahendra Souvenir. I wondor what kind of customars are their aim? I think those who know jeep will stay away from it. It would have been good if it is SWB. Is there anybody have test driven Souvenir? What about comfort aspect?
Old 16th August 2009, 12:41   #134
BHPian

Harjeev, very good photos of the Souvenir there, but I liked the Classic better, moreover this one is quite pricy for what it is.
Old 16th August 2009, 13:20   #135
Senior - BHPian

Another MM product gone horribly WRONG!

i wonder if the people at MM customisation department graduate from DC institute of designing?

there are better examples of workmanship on a MM jeep in this forum itself and i think MM people are short on ideas and imagination when it comes to modification or customisation!

Mr. Nanda hope you are reading this!

i wish they moniter automotive forum websites to get an unofficial feedback!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks