Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 13:29   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Forward control ? Can you elaborate more on that or put up any link
My Apologies Ranjith, I intended but missed Hyper Linking FC. Here's a link:
Jeep Forward Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jeep FC spares are hard to find though.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 12th September 2008 at 13:49.
Old 12th September 2008, 14:52   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt reply; no need of apologies for that
The link reminds me old Mahindra van (FC160 to be precise after reading the link ) it was my school van when I was studying in 3 rd std
Old 12th September 2008, 18:14   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi jammy,

1. The rims on MM540 look like the normal ones but both the front and rear axle appear to protrude outside. Did you use any spacer to increase the front and rear track of the vehicle? Or is it a different axle all together?

vinod
The front protrudes due to the hub locks. The rear protrusion is due to the fully floating rear diff conversion.

The rims are the OEM ones that came on later MM540s. Post 2003 I think.

Quote:
Dear 4x4 addict
you identified the fully floating rear axle by the protrusion I marked using the yellow line isn't it ? I just wanted to know so that I too can identify things.
you do have some eagle eyes
and Jammy and the vehicle appears to be declined towards the front is it
I only recognized them cause I fitted the same on my MM540.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
I think the axle is from a Forward Control (FC). I have read elsewhere that it is possible to fit the FC axle onto a CJ5\MM540 with little or no modifications.
I installed the ones from the FC on my MM540. It is a straigtforward job. However it does need a some work like grinding the axles to shorten them, etc.
Old 12th September 2008, 18:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
and Jammy and the vehicle appears to be declined towards the front is it because of extra leaf added to the rear (does karthik carry lots of load) or downhill (I know i may sound silly but just a guess)??
Hi,

Speaking of the leaf-springs, what kind of modification to drive shafts & steering tie-rod is needed while increasing the GC by following mod? I think it will be easier but not sure whether it is safe (?) or not. (I think here the tie rod assembly is inverted as marked by Green circle)
Attached Thumbnails
Which Jeep To Buy-74-cj5-3.jpg  

Old 13th September 2008, 01:19   #20
BHPian

Hi Jammy,

The tyres on Karthik's MMM540, what make are they and what size?
Old 18th September 2008, 02:29   #21
BHPian

I was kinda hoping the guys who have classics,willys cj3Bs, Willys MBs, Ford GPWs, MM540s, and other itrerations would put forth their personal experience for the benefit of people who are serious about owning jeeps.
So far it seems to me that all it has come down to is armchair expertice. And discussions which can be had through PMs than waste the idea behind the thread. Will some of the chaps be a good sport and post their ownerships of the aforesaid machines than deviate from the topic.
Cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreshmahapatra View Post
Hi Jammy,

The tyres on Karthik's MMM540, what make are they and what size?
Old 18th September 2008, 15:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
I was kinda hoping the guys who have classics,willys cj3Bs, Willys MBs, Ford GPWs, MM540s, and other itrerations would put forth their personal experience for the benefit of people who are serious about owning jeeps.
So far it seems to me that all it has come down to is armchair expertice. ...... .... Will some of the chaps be a good sport and post their ownerships of the aforesaid machines.....
Jammy,

I can perfectly understand what you are trying to say here and the sharing of ownership reviews by folks will help people make informed decisions before they buy a jeep. I also know how irrititating 'armchair reviews/expertise' can be.

However, as far as I have observed, I think that interest in owning a jeep for off-roading/4x4 purposes is a recent phenomenon on T-BHP. Not many folks here are as experienced as the folks from jeep_thrills (many of whom are pure veterans in the jeeping arena).
The good thing is that the jeep fever is catching fast and over time we will have knowledgeable people about various kind of jeeps here also. I know at least 10-15 folks here in T-BHP who have bought a 4x4 after reading about OTR/off-roading on T-BHP.

So most people here are in their early stages of learning the whole jeep thing. I think is it but natural that in excitement and eagerness, people will ask all kind of questions that intrigue them.

Till then it is the experienced people like you, UBSji, RedMM, arka, and others who can help people by sharing their knowhow.

Believe me Jammy, you are looked upon as someone, one can go to for advise on most jeep matters -- at least I do (even though I don't own a jeep)

PS: I am writing this from a pure off-roading perspective. quite a few people would have owned jeeps but not used 4x4 or off-roading. IMHO, driving/owning (and hence the experience) a jeep for driving in city/rural setting is lot different than for off-roading/OTR

Cheers,
Old 18th September 2008, 17:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far it seems to me that all it has come down to is armchair expertice. And discussions which can be had through PMs than waste the idea behind the thread. Will some of the chaps be a good sport and post their ownerships of the aforesaid machines than deviate from the topic.
Cheers
Jammy

Dear jammy,
As far as i know no one showed any arm chair expertise here. Infact all including me were asking you questions instead!!!

As khan summarised there are quite many people who were amazed to see the fantastic pictures posted by you. Kartiks jeep got attention with MM540 fans like me and hence few questions. you have got expertise in building jeeps. We still are in the process of learning how to build a perfect jeep at different levels. Hence saying that the discussions what ever we had till now was a waste and doesnt match your expecation is not correct.

I have been a jeep enthusiast for quite sometime now and have done my bit of offroading with chennai jeep thrills members which includes palar challenge 2008. My experience with MM540 has been-

1. Pretty comfortable compared to other jeeps due to its size
2. Just perfect dimensions- Not too big and not too small
3. Must have had 2.5Litre engine right from the day one it was sold as sometimes i feel the lack of power & Speed on sand
4. I dont prefer doors for now because they make noise when you drive it over tough terrain

5. Brakes better than other jeeps
6. Has decent off roadability and can do 95% of what sWB are capable off.
7. rides better on road.
8. An all round machine

regards
vinod
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2008, 00:02   #24
BHPian

Hey Vinod
1> Your kind of summary of the MM540 was what I had when i started the thread. It is definitive and help to someone who would want to buy a jeep.
2> I was hoping that people who have personally driven jeeps for while would post their summary of their jeeps too.
3> Being informed of the routine performance of the jeeps in terms of mileage,maintainability and performance would then be the first step for people who can decide on a basic platform and proceed to the next step of customizing the jeeps to their needs.
4> Will certainly post my long term experience with the Hurricane engine,in both the short wheel base willys and MM440 soon.
5> Hoping more people will post their observations soon.
Cheers
Jammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Dear jammy,
As far as i know no one showed any arm chair expertise here. Infact all including me were asking you questions instead!!!

As khan summarised there are quite many people who were amazed to see the fantastic pictures posted by you. Kartiks jeep got attention with MM540 fans like me and hence few questions. you have got expertise in building jeeps. We still are in the process of learning how to build a perfect jeep at different levels. Hence saying that the discussions what ever we had till now was a waste and doesnt match your expecation is not correct.

I have been a jeep enthusiast for quite sometime now and have done my bit of offroading with chennai jeep thrills members which includes palar challenge 2008. My experience with MM540 has been-

1. Pretty comfortable compared to other jeeps due to its size
2. Just perfect dimensions- Not too big and not too small
3. Must have had 2.5Litre engine right from the day one it was sold as sometimes i feel the lack of power & Speed on sand
4. I dont prefer doors for now because they make noise when you drive it over tough terrain

5. Brakes better than other jeeps
6. Has decent off roadability and can do 95% of what sWB are capable off.
7. rides better on road.
8. An all round machine

regards
vinod
Old 20th September 2008, 00:41   #25
BHPian

wonderful thread for jeep lovers

thanx Jammy for this informative thread..i would have some questions very soon when i would start work on my Jeep..this thread is getting better with time so guess its time to sit back and enjoy the thread..
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Vinod
1> Your kind of summary of the MM540 was what I had when i started the thread. It is definitive and help to someone who would want to buy a jeep.
2> I was hoping that people who have personally driven jeeps for while would post their summary of their jeeps too.
3> Being informed of the routine performance of the jeeps in terms of mileage,maintainability and performance would then be the first step for people who can decide on a basic platform and proceed to the next step of customizing the jeeps to their needs.
4> Will certainly post my long term experience with the Hurricane engine,in both the short wheel base willys and MM440 soon.
5> Hoping more people will post their observations soon.
Cheers
Jammy

Hi jaamy,
Now iam quite clear about what you intended. I will go a bit further and tell u my experience on 2- MM540's -
First jeep-
1. My first MM540 was an 1988 model original 4wd hard top. Was a good piece but engine didnt have 'DUM'
2. Used to emit black smoke while acceleration and no mater how many timing andfd tappet adjustments this remained

3. Being a original 4wd i didnt expect a whine in the transfer case. It had whine between 40-60 kmph and dissappeared later

4. could touch 90 kmph with relatively a weak engine

5. The leafs were too soft and used to roll a lot. this chassis didnt have etended spring beds of later 540's

6. brakes were horrible by jeep standards and failed twice.

7. Hard top and body was in good condition but engine died about 30k kms after i bought. Oil started mixing with water and since i wasnt earning then being a student i thought to say it good bye. Sold it for 75000 with engine in dead condition

My second jeep-

1. I bought it last year and was a 1989 model MM540 again

2. No top , no doors and hence no noise

3. Engine is pretty peppy considering vehicles age though noisy

4. This vehicle was originally a 2wd coverted to 4wd by previous owner. The whine from gear box is loud (for me) at all speeds and is annoying. My single most dislike in this vehicle. Have got it overhauled...still the noise remains

5. Brakes have been upgraded from single piston to double piston

6.Tyres have been downsized frrom 275/70/R 16 to 235 /70 R16 HT for good. I feel NDMS 700-16 is the best tyre though.

7. suspension is taught and handles well

8. steering had lot of play and got stuck once. Changed the box and is lot better now

9. rusting has been a problem, cant help it being in coastal city

My jeep has been trouble free relatively. The gear box problem that i mentioned is noticeable only to keen ears. Arka had seen this & dismissed it saying "you are driving a Jeep, dont expect any NVH standards out of it"!! infact his jeep has the same noise too:-)))) He doesnt mind it anyway.

I have not seen this noise on 3 speed 4wd gearboxes especially on petrol 3B's. Also classic's gear box though a 4 speed one didnt have this.

Iam pasting the link of a drive and one can listen to this whine. Listen carefully-

(put on your head phones)

Mahindra owners can help me in identifying this noise and giving me solution.

with regards

Vinod
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jammy,

Thanks a ton for this initiative. Its helpful for people like me who are looking to get the first monster. Costing details in terms of mods for offroading would also be a good addition .
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Guys whats your opinion on the Mahindra Invader. ? Is there a 4x4 option on this? Have seen a couple of invaders and i feel that looks wise a good paint job, a neat pair of wheels this sure does have the capablity of looking like a mean off roader but i have no clue on its performance. Does it have any noteworthy offroading capablities ?
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5> Lack precise slow speed control of petrol jeeps.
Jammy, hi, nice thread, Do the petrol jeeps have better low speed control than the diesel ones?
Old 24th September 2008, 14:18   #30

Hi! Need some help here. Am on the verge of buying my first jeep. Looked at a couple of jeeps. However, am not very familiar with jeeps. So, how would I know if I'm buying a good one? What should I check for? How do I know if I'm paying right? Lastly, is there somebody(not the armchair expert types), in Bangalore, who can come along and take a look at the engine? Also, am attaching a pic of a jeep I'm considering. Do tell me what if it's a CL or a CJ (how do I know that?). An 81 model. Overhauled once apparently. What price can I pay? Do suggest please.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Jeep To Buy-22092008266.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks