Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!

Since my childhood, I have loved Automobiles. My dad's association with the Central Government Defence Accounts always made sure that we stay close by to locations where the Ordnance Factories were located.

Shaktimaans, Jongas, Gypsies & JEEPs were a common site, I used to admire them and never would miss an opportunity to sit on the driver seat of a stationary truck or JEEP and make weird noises.

My childhood fantasy has finally come to a definitive stop after a search of 6 months. I spotted a 4x4 JEEP which I presume is a CJ 500 at a garage in a nearby village en-route matheran.

Out of curiosity, I checked with the garage owner and discovered that it was for sale. It turned out that the garage guy picked up around 14 vehicles from an auction conducted by the forest department. All of them were in bruised and battered condition as if they came back from the battlefield.

Papers are all fine, the vehicle is in running condition, drove it for some 8 - 10 kms. Couldn't test the 4x4 though. Consulted the JEEP gurus and found out that this model is one of the best off roaders in india. Its tough, reliable, cheap to repair, can take lots of abuse and can be repaired in any nook and corner of india.

I finalised the deal for 30,000 grands for as it is condition. He has agreed to do the vehicle up for me. Have not given him a confirmation on that as of now.

Let the pics do the talking.

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00005.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00010.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00011.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00012.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00013.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00016.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00993.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00999.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc01001.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00017.jpg

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00018.jpg
Old 18th October 2008, 18:53   #2
BHPian

hey buddy, Congrats on your new found love, but the pics do say a bad story. you will have to slog it out to get the jeep in 'condition". i mean by my standards, i dont know in what condition you would like to get your jeep, but then the body looks bad, although engine work in this particular ' international" engine is relatively cheap, but then it does look comprehensive. and if you havent checked out the 4wd, then i sincerely hope, that all the inside 'MASALA' ie, the inner mechanism is still in that ball, but then jeepers are always said to be lucky guys, so cherio and all the best.
Old 18th October 2008, 19:04   #3
BHPian

Congrats Sabareesh.

Look like a lot of work needs to be done, rust everywhere.
Last pic what is that metal wire holding the hi/lo range selecting level ?

30K is not a bad deal at all, I think.
What is the exact model of the Jeep ?
Name and year of manufacture ?

So how soon before you get it the way the want it to look ?
Old 18th October 2008, 19:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a good jeep. Did I see an Inter Engine in the bay. It has to go out.!
Old 18th October 2008, 19:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

At this price its a good deal,needs restoration badly,how good is the condition of the engine and transmission?
Do you plan to change the engine?

Do keep us posted with restoration pics and experience.
Old 18th October 2008, 19:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please tell me the budget in terms of time/money you are setting aside. This seems like too much work to my untrained eye.

Congrats a ton dude!
Old 18th October 2008, 19:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Sabareesh. This should keep you busy for the next couple of months. Best of luck.

Nothing like restoring and building a 4x4 from rust up.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:01   #8
BHPian

Sabareesh,

Quote:
My childhood fantasy has finally come to a definitive stop after a search of 6 months
i know how it feels. congratulations man.

well, one member here owns a 500D similar to yours and has a international engine in it. Have seen it doing 70 on the highway and an able work horse off road too. And his is almost a 23 years+ vehicle still doing its duties.

While the work horse-ness of the vehicle cannot be challenged, you have a lot of work ahead to bring it back to glory.

Krishna.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:35   #9
BHPian

Thanks for your comments everyone...

Yup, the JEEP was no better than a rickety piece ratting all the way. but I was surprised to see it running quite nicely. I have checked the 4WD stuff, Front differential was opened in front of me, things seemed to be in place, propellershaft, transfercase all were intact. The lever was tied up with the metal string cos it developed lot of play and was ratting continously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At this price its a good deal,needs restoration badly,how good is the condition of the engine and transmission?
Do you plan to change the engine?

Do keep us posted with restoration pics and experience.
As of now, I am not planning to change it as it sounded good and did not overheat even after a drive of 10 - 12 kms on a sunny afternoon. Would drive it with the current setup for sometime. The gear lever had lots of play though. One had to literally stand on the brake 1 KM before the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please tell me the budget in terms of time/money you are setting aside. This seems like too much work to my untrained eye.

Congrats a ton dude!
I am expecting any where between 50 - 70 grands for the entire work. The garage guy has quoted 1 lac. I am bargaining hard with him on this. Have told him not to start the work till a budget is agreed upon.

The worklist which he has given me is as follows :-

1. Completely stripping the JEEP till Chassis and sandblasting.
2. Chipping out the rust, fixing the holes on the floor and painting.
3. Front and Rear Differentials Overhauling
4. Transfercase Overhauling
5. Complete re-wiring including new bulbs, fuses & relays.
6. Overhauling Brake mechanism.
7. New Sponge & Rexine for the seats.
8. New Soft Top.
9. Radiator flushing.
10. Recambering the leafs and overhauling the suspension setup.

Fixing other niggling problems if any. I think a good 20 - 30 days would pass till this work is completed.

Arka's thread on Cost of building a JEEP is a Bible for me in such a situation. I am keenly going through all the threads on JEEP restoration in our forums.

Would make sure to take snaps of each stages of restoration.

GODs of JEEPistan, accept my prayers and bless me with your valueable comments / suggestions...
Old 18th October 2008, 21:55   #10
BHPian

Sahi

Hey Sabareesh Buddy,
Congrats on your find. Looks like a nice deal at 30K. I think body can be repaired with some rust treatment, (Refer to V-16's thread of his Willy's restoration). But whats your plan on Engine work? can you put in a used DI Engine if you can find one.
Also, try to swap in as many working parts from other 14 Jeeps/ Vehicles that you mentioned from that garage itself, maybe you will get it cheaper. May , but it can be possible.
(and if you are planning to restore it in Ambernath itself, then may be I can also have a lookcheers
Old 18th October 2008, 21:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

would be watching this thread for your restoration pics. do keep us posted and congrats on that machine!
Old 19th October 2008, 00:33   #12
BHPian

You gotta forester. Congrats buddy!cheers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh

but I was surprised to see it running quite nicely.
Don't be surprised when you have an INTER engine. all you need is a good battery for the heating.

Quote:
As of now, I am not planning to change it as it sounded good and did not overheat even after a drive of 10 - 12 kms on a sunny afternoon. Would drive it with the current setup for sometime. The gear lever had lots of play though. One had to literally stand on the brake 1 KM before the destination.
yes. don't plan to change anything as of now. don't give it to your mechanic until unless you understand your jeep problems very well.

Quote:
I am expecting any where between 50 - 70 grands for the entire work. The garage guy has quoted 1 lac. I am bargaining hard with him on this. Have told him not to start the work till a budget is agreed upon.

The worklist which he has given me is as follows :-

1. Completely stripping the JEEP till Chassis and sandblasting.
2. Chipping out the rust, fixing the holes on the floor and painting.
3. Front and Rear Differentials Overhauling
4. Transfercase Overhauling
5. Complete re-wiring including new bulbs, fuses & relays.
6. Overhauling Brake mechanism.
7. New Sponge & Rexine for the seats.
8. New Soft Top.
9. Radiator flushing.
10. Recambering the leafs and overhauling the suspension setup.

Fixing other niggling problems if any. I think a good 20 - 30 days would pass till this work is completed.
1lakh is on the higher side for the above work. what you are expecting is the best price. dont get every work done by the same mechanic.
Old 19th October 2008, 02:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

congratulations on your new found love. as they say that rome was not built in a day, so was JEEP!

nothing comes close and nothing give more satisfaction than building/restoring your own jeep!

keep us posted with photos of your restoration.

good luck and have patience!cheers:
Old 19th October 2008, 03:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

ANother one bites the dust !!

Sabareesh - Congratualtions on entering the 4x4 route.

One advice thought. If you bargain hard enough where there is no worthwhile margin for the workshop owner, he is going to cut corners and that will not be a good thing. Pay what is fair enough(you have enough guidleines/pointers on the forum) , keep monitoring strictly and you will not regret.
Old 19th October 2008, 17:04   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Kutttapan, will surely keep a fair amount for the garage guy has his margin.

I have negotiated till 60,000. In which he has told me that in addition to the forementioned list, he would :-
clean up the fuel tank
put in new guage as the old one is not working properly
radiator flushing and overhauling.

I think its a fair bargain and he would get a decent margin as well.

So the total cost figures as as follows :-

Cost of the JEEP :- 30,000
Cost of Repairs per the list :- 60,000

Net Cost :- 90,000
Cost of registration and 3rd party insurance - 4,500 - 5,000
Total Cost of aquisition - 95,000 /-

Please do let me know your thoughts on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks