Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
BTW how much did you pay for this classic. Recently i was offered a classic (96 last model ) from Chennai for 3L.

I felt the asking price was too much and hence didn't bother to proceed.
I guess, for an original classic this price is not that high. Its really hard to get hold of an original one and I have seen people quoting even in the range of 4L.
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:25   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's a heart-breaking thing to say to the new buyer. Can you substantiate this claim?
Samurai,

The buyer was personally warned about this even before the sale was done. So the clarification has happened.

Not trying to break anyone's heart but trying to avoid such deals in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I guess, for an original classic this price is not that high. Its really hard to get hold of an original one and I have seen people quoting even in the range of 4L.
Frankly its stupid to pay that much for the Classic. The rarity or the lack of it not withstanding.

Some guy walked over to me and quoted 4.5 lakhs cash no questions asked for my Classic. My response "Sorry not for sale" Also "If i were you i wouldnt have bought it for more then 2 lakhs." Those who have the money dont bother, for me each rupee i earn counts, its just balant idiocity to pay that much for a Classic. Its like the RD, atleast that has some creed and a world wide following. Its nothng but a CJ340/CL340 below the makeup.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd December 2008 at 14:30.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:02   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Not trying to break anyone's heart but trying to avoid such deals in the future.
Not really the most polite thing to say on someones purchase thread, is it? Do you have concrete proof of the mileage being higher? By concrete proof, it means having witnessed a higher reading personally or having seen the service history or similar. If not, your comment has zero value. Lets not go by hearsay.

Quote:
Frankly its stupid to pay that much for the Classic.
Who decides whether its stupid or not? Most low-production cars, which are rare in the used bazaar, have varying values. A new car price is the maximum that, a manufacturer thinks, a customer will pay for it. It rarely has anything to do with cost.

A used car price, on the other hand, is the cars real worth. It is what the customer thinks the car is really worth. It is the customer who has a say in the price (unlike in new car pricing). And if the car is rare, the price rarely has anything to with the MRP.

Clearly, with the way that the market has been behaving of late, CJ340s & Classics have phenomenal resale. If there are more than a handful exchanging hands at high prices, well, that is what the CJ is really worth!

Healthy Classics are extremely hard to find. This particular example looks, to me and from the pictures so far, as healthy as a decade+ old car can be. In the past two years, several people have approached me in their hunt for a Classic. Despite long searches, we only came across THREE healthy running examples. You have a simple demand-supply situation right there!! And when the supply is extremely limited (as compared to demand), prices will rise.

Quote:
Its like the RD, atleast that has some creed and a world wide following.
The CJ3B, which the CJ340 & Classic actually are, have an extremely strong worldwide following. And, a LOT more history than the RD. Anyways, I have never bought my cars based on what "following or creed" it has. If I like something, that's enough for me. And I like it a little too much, I am willing to pay a premium for it. Evidently, there are a lot of Classic hunters who feel the same way.

Quote:
Frankly its stupid to pay that much for the Classic.
I'll tell you what I think is even more stupid. Someone comes to the forum with great excitement over their fresh purchase of what is obviously a much loved & rare Jeep. And then we reply with how silly it is to pay so much money for it, of how the mileage could be wrong and how such deals are best avoided.

@ syj : Just enjoy your Jeep man. You have picked up a true "Classic" and one that will give you many smiling miles of motoring.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2008 at 17:10.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:28   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really the most polite thing to say on someones purchase thread, is it? Do you have concrete proof of the mileage being higher? By concrete proof, it means having witnessed a higher reading personally or having seen the service history or similar. If not, your comment has zero value. Lets not go by hearsay.
Lets just say the actual owner told me that.

Quote:
Who decides whether its stupid or not? Most low-production cars, which are rare in the used bazaar, have varying values. A new car price is the maximum that, a manufacturer thinks, a customer will pay for it. It rarely has anything to do with cost.
That is what i think. So i said it. The buyer obviously thought otherwise so he bought it. I dont understand the Classic for that value a perosn ready to spend 3-4 lakhs does.

Infact i put the facts forward even before the buyer bought it. Rather lets say because of the network i have established, the buyer could buy that Classic. Or else he could have not known about it.

Quote:
A used car price, on the other hand, is the cars real worth. It is what the customer thinks the car is really worth. It is the customer who has a say in the price (unlike in new car pricing). And if the car is rare, the price rarely has anything to with the MRP.
This is the Classic, you are another owner of one. So you know what it is. I wont get into that. But for me its absurd to quote so much for it. Whether i can afford with my own hard earned money is a different thing.

Does the above argument stand for the insane prices quoted for Classic and Vintage cars on other threads and people go absurd, foolish, day dreaming and what not? There too the owner sets the price and we see the folks here calling foul so when i do the same why is it not? Its a automobile after all right and not even a "Classic".

Quote:
Clearly, with the way that the market has been behaving of late, CJ340s & Classics have phenomenal resale. If there are more than a handful exchanging hands at high prices, well, that is what the CJ is really worth!
Market in second hand cars is run by your next door polish and clean second hand car dealer. There is no standardization when it comes to second hand car prices here in India. What each person who wants to sell his second hand car does is go upto these guys ask for a comparable model and the dealer obvioulsy quotes some price depending upon which side of the bed he got off. That price invariably becomes the "market price" for that car. Been there done that and so have lot of folks here.

Quote:
Healthy Classics are extremely hard to find. This particular example looks, to me and from the pictures so far, as healthy as a decade+ old car can be. In the past two years, several people have approached me in their hunt for a Classic. Despite long searches, we only came across THREE healthy running examples.
To mantain a Classic is no great shakes. If its not healthy its because the owner dosent know anything about it. He got it for the bling and used it like a car and screwed its gearbox, driveshafts and engine. I maintain my Classic myself, its damn easy. You just need to spend some time understanding it. Its very basic. No high fundu electrical, no trick suspension, no 21st century engine. Its a very robust and easily maintainable Jeep.

Quote:
The CJ3B, which the CJ340 & Classic actually are, have an extremely strong worldwide following. And, a LOT more history than the RD. Anyways, I have never bought my cars based on what "following or creed" it has. If I like something, that's enough for me. And I like it a little too much, I am willing to pay a premium for it. Evidently, there are a lot of Classic hunters who feel the same way.
I dont see a CJ340 being quoted 3-4 lakhs and getting that much. Are disc brakes so much of an enhancement that it is worth paying a lakh or 2 extra.

Its not for what the Classic is that people are paying so much but its the perceived i am macho and outdoorsy image portraying that has pushed the price of the Classic so high.

I am not generalising here because lot of Classic owners do take it where it works best.

Quote:
I'll tell you what I think is even more stupid. Someone comes to the forum with great excitement over their fresh purchase of what is obviously a much loved & rare Jeep. And then we reply with how silly it is to pay so much money for it, of how the mileage could be wrong and how such deals are best avoided.
So telling a deal is bad on this forum is not entertained?
So saying that the deal is shady is not correct?
Letting the buyer know that this might be a pandora's box is not correct?
Telling the buyer that the deal is not good, totally out of concern for the buyers hard earned money whom i have never met is not correct?

I rest my case. I respect this forum and what it stands for.

If you guys think its not right for all the above notes delete them. I prefer calling a spade a spade.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd December 2008 at 17:35.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks GTO, I am fully agree with you and this against the basic phillosophy of team-bhp forum.

JayD, nice purchase man. You are quite lucky one to find one Classic in such a good shape. We still have a few people in forum who only have mind but no heart. Hobby is all about hearing your heart.
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:54   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Lets just say the actual owner told me that.
Will take your word on it in that case.

Quote:
I dont understand the Classic for that value a perosn ready to spend 3-4 lakhs does.
This Classic hasn't sold for anywhere near that number. Lets just say the actual buyer told me that . I am not in a position to disclose the exact amount, but I can tell you that he has paid, IMHO, a fantastic price for what seems to be a fab Jeep.

Quote:
Market in second hand cars is run by your next door polish and clean second hand car dealer.
Quote:
the dealer obvioulsy quotes some price depending upon which side of the bed he got off. That price invariably becomes the "market price" for that car.
So, you mean to say that if all dealers unite and quote 3 lakhs for a 6 year old Palio (double its existing resale), the used value of the car automatically climbs up?

Sorry, I don't buy that. I insist that used car values are set NOT by dealers, but by actual customers who gauge the real worth of the car.

Quote:
To mantain a Classic is no great shakes.
Well, I would say that maintaining ANY 12 year old car isn't easy. And here, we are talking of a Jeep with a 60 year old design, body thats rust-friendly and where niggles are a part of daily life. My Classic takes up more of my time than all the other 3 cars combined. It is a fact. Something or the other is always going wrong in these old Jeeps.

It lacks even an ounce of technology and hence is simple in construction. Thus, it is simple to repair. But it isn't a simple Jeep for upkeep since the repairs / part replacements are frequent. Mahindra's build quality, even if improved, was still shoddy around this time.

Quote:
Are disc brakes so much of an enhancement that it is worth paying a lakh or 2 extra.
Lets say the difference is a lakh. Now, lets add a price to the extras:

- Alloys : 20,000
- Thicker / better tyres : 10,000 (difference of 2,000 x 5)
- Disc Brakes + booster : 20,000
- Superior Electrical system : 10,000
- Bull bar : 10,000
- Suspended Pedals : 5,000
- Dash : 7,500
- Awesome seats : 10,000
- Tow hook : 3,000
- Free wheeling hubs : 4,000
- Better rollover bar + seatbelts : 6,000
- Sweet mirrors : 3,000
- High quality imported switchgear / locks : 1,500
- 1 to 4 years newer : 10,000 per year (atleast?)

There you have it : 1.2 lakh rupees in goodies (atleast!). And I ain't even counting the FRP wheel arches, better alternator, radiator screen, glow plug timer, "Mahindra" badged plastic chassis cover and better bumpers. Plus, even Mahindra admits, the Classic had far better build quality & thinner manufacturing tolerances compared to the CJ340.
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:33   #37
BANNED

@GTO: Can you delete all my comments from this thread. I am going to stay away from this.

PS: You have a PM.
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:47   #38
BHPian

good looking classic!!!
well done mate
Old 10th December 2008, 09:53   #39
SYJ
BHPian

are the original seats and the soft top of an original classic available..??please help me out in finding these..

here are some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Another Classic Joins the forum!-dsc03714.jpg  

Another Classic Joins the forum!-dsc03725.jpg  

Another Classic Joins the forum!-dsc03764.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 12th December 2008 at 01:11. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 10th December 2008, 14:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Syj,
One of the best looking classics on the forum!! The tyres are extremely fat and beware it might foul the inner side of wheel wells especially rear. Good to see you using the classic it is meant for....Off road!
Old 10th December 2008, 18:17   #41
BHPian

wow, beautiful and really classic in all terms.
I always wanted to buy this muscular guy, but didn't like the maintenance of the ones that were offered to me.
Now, after I am happily married, no one wants me to invest my money into it.
girls..why dont they understand the passion behind these choices.

great vehicle and as I see from the pics, you are using it to full potential.
Old 11th December 2008, 10:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avin View Post
wow, beautiful and really classic in all terms.
I always wanted to buy this muscular guy, but didn't like the maintenance of the ones that were offered to me.
Now, after I am happily married, no one wants me to invest my money into it.girls..why dont they understand the passion behind these choices.great vehicle and as I see from the pics, you are using it to full potential.
Haha, big mistake, you should have taken the plunge before! Now the only option seems to be to somehow generate interest in your female counterpart regarding the thrills of having and driving a jeep.
-Best regards,
Old 11th December 2008, 10:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

I see a chandigarh registration number
was it purchased from chandigarh?
Old 11th December 2008, 11:00   #44
BHPian

You are a lucky guy, thats one neat classic
Old 11th December 2008, 15:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

SYJ - is that you at the drivers seat in the second photo above ? That looks like an old acquaintance - Kuttan - from Cochin . remember going to his workshop to do some odd work for my RD some 4-5 years back

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks