Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 17:57   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: MM540 Reborn

Nice so 4 wd is happening now? Which GB/TC is this? Isuzu?
Old 4th July 2011, 18:09   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nice so 4 wd is happening now? Which GB/TC is this? Isuzu?
No its toyota. This would be last work i undertake on my Jeep for some time to come. I really struggled with labourers, they are bloody expensive and still leave in the middle of work. Ufff
Old 4th July 2011, 18:13   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
No its toyota. This would be last work i undertake on my Jeep for some time to come. I really struggled with labourers, they are bloody expensive and still leave in the middle of work. Ufff
I completely understand, they are the same everywhere. Start things with full josh and disappear with the same josh half way through!

Anyways please do post the details of work in progress so far, with pictures !
Old 5th July 2011, 17:33   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I completely understand, they are the same everywhere. Start things with full josh and disappear with the same josh half way through!

Anyways please do post the details of work in progress so far, with pictures !
Let me start.

We decided to go ahead with the 4*4 conversion processn getting pissed of at 'Jeep being a peep.....' comment.

We initially bought the Isuzu trooper gearbox but had to give up as the Nissan's flywheel was big for Isuzu beloxing cover and that came inbuild. Pictures of which are given below.

Old 7th July 2011, 13:32   #215
BHPian

And then we got this beauty. A Toyota Hilux 4*4.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:02   #216
BHPian

We have at last managed to successfully mate the Toyota gearbox on to the Nissan my MM was carrying. The only issue that we faced was with the beloxing cover which wasn't of the same size. We manage to solve it by making one of our own at the workshop. (pictures attached).

We then got it mounted on the chasis 2 days back. The GB is massive and heavier too. Will have to add a leaf or two to the rear to account for this. Performance might be compromised to an extend but ride would be better. So I'm happy with it. Take some, give some.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:06   #217
BHPian

We have at last managed to successfully mate the Toyota gearbox on to the Nissan my MM was carrying. The only issue that we faced was with the beloxing cover which wasn't of the same size. We manage to solve it by making one of our own at the workshop. (pictures attached).

We have mounted it on the chasis. Will post the snaps later in the day.

qt5lBnjkOvc/Ti5dKx47stI/AAAAAAAABUo/NYnfWkO-f0s/s288/13072011%2528004%2529.jpg[/IMG]
Old 27th July 2011, 15:06   #218
BHPian

After the mounting was done in the chasis.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 Reborn-24072011.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011001.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011002.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011003.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011004.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011005.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011006.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011007.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011008.jpg  

MM540 Reborn-24072011009.jpg  

Old 27th July 2011, 15:49   #219
Senior - BHPian

Please dont do this mod!! Look at the front shaft sitting above the GB cross member, this is just not right. And even if work it around by pushing the cross member around 12-15 inches towards the back - how short would the rear prop shaft be?? I see this as a outrageous mod, please dont get me wrong. I see so many wrong things here.

Eventually your chassis would implode or buckle with all this un-sprung weight in the center - looks MASSSIVE for a jeep chassis.

And, its called a Bell-Housing, since it looks like a church bell.

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th July 2011 at 15:54.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:25   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Please dont do this mod!! Look at the front shaft sitting above the GB cross member, this is just not right. And even if work it around by pushing the cross member around 12-15 inches towards the back - how short would the rear prop shaft be?? I see this as a outrageous mod, please dont get me wrong. I see so many wrong things here.
Yes, the rear shaft is going to be short. Whats the disadvantage/problem of having a short shaft.

Quote:
Eventually your chassis would implode or buckle with all this un-sprung weight in the center - looks MASSSIVE for a jeep chassis.
Additional leafs should solve this.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:44   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Yes, the rear shaft is going to be short. Whats the disadvantage/problem of having a short shaft.
The problem of the shorter shaft is nothing compared to the front shaft.

1) Rear shaft will be at a VERY acute angle causing lot of stress on the universal joint, lets say complete drive train. Dont know what tolerances can the GB take.

2) Bigger issue is with the front shaft. Under simple articulation, even bouncy roads the shaft will foul with (i) GB cross member (ii) Looks close bellhousing and engine case. Asking for lot of trouble here!!

3) Look at the angle of the front shaft - even without the weight of the body on chassis/leaf it is GOING UP (GB side is lower than the diff side, if not lower nearly of the same height) - So when the right wheel goes into a ditch/pothole, the shaft is going to comedown along with it and foul with the cross member. When the front right goes up - it will foul with the engine!

Quote:
Additional leafs should solve this
Eventually all the weight put on the 1 or 2 extra leafs will be transferred to the chassis/mounts, right? Did you weigh the engine and the GB before mounting?

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th July 2011 at 21:52.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:04   #222
BHPian

Quote:
The problem of the shorter shaft is nothing compared to the front shaft.1) Rear shaft will be at a VERY acute angle causing lot of stress on the universal joint, lets say complete drive train. Dont know what tolerances can the GB take.
Have a look at this. This is Thar's rear drive shaft. Do you see a problem there.

Quote:
2) Bigger issue is with the front shaft. Under simple articulation, even bouncy roads the shaft will foul with (i) GB cross member (ii) Looks close bellhousing and engine case. Asking for lot of trouble here!!
That's not the arrangement we are going ahead with. The cross member you see in the image is of the old jeep and we would be fixing the cross member behind the shaft.

Quote:
3) Look at the angle of the front shaft - even without the weight of the body on chassis/leaf it is GOING UP (GB side is lower than the diff side, if not lower nearly of the same height) - So when the right wheel goes into a ditch/pothole, the shaft is going to comedown along with it and foul with the cross member. When the front right goes up - it will foul with the engine!
You need to look closer. The rear end of the GB is mounted on a stool with a lower height and that's why you get a feeling of 'hanging'. The GB is yet to be fully mounted as you can see in the fifth pic.

Quote:
Eventually all the weight put on the 1 or 2 extra leafs will be transferred to the chassis/mounts, right? Did you weigh the engine and the GB before mounting?
The weight of the 2.7 Nissan engine is much lesser than MDI engine, and the new Toyota GB that i have added weighs as much as a Isuzu G1 GB. So i dont see any issues there. The leafs in the picture looks stressed because i had removed 2 leafs from my older jeep, putting them back would lessen the stress on the existing leaf.

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 28th July 2011 at 11:05.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:47   #223
Senior - BHPian

Is the rear shaft pic from your jeep? Is the tub mounted on? If not your jeep, then you may need to slightly tweak the position of the leaf mounts to angle the pinion upwards to reduce the joint angle. Oh and not to mention since the rear output of the GB is center (0 offset), you may need to go back to center (0 offset) axle housing. Looks like you have a right offset now. Am i right?

Anyways, this is a interesting project, looking fwd to the outcome.

Did you take note of where the gear shifter/transfercase shifter is going to popout in your jeep tub?
Old 28th July 2011, 13:34   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Is the rear shaft pic from your jeep?
I put it up because you said a shorter rear shaft is an issue. the image is of MM Thar.

Quote:
Is the tub mounted on? If not your jeep, then you may need to slightly tweak the position of the leaf mounts to angle the pinion upwards to reduce the joint angle. Oh and not to mention since the rear output of the GB is center (0 offset), you may need to go back to center (0 offset) axle housing. Looks like you have a right offset now. Am i right?
The earlier Nissan GB's output was on that side. We would be changing it now.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:49   #225
Senior - BHPian

We cant assume the position of the short shaft on the thar will be the same on ur jeep too. Many things will differ, have you fabricated one for your jeep spec? Also, am I right on the offset of ur axle part?
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks