Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 15:02   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I have 255/65/R16's. So I can try on these and see the ballooning effect. ...But please do tell me what do you think of pushkins jeep in the pics that I have attached. Do they look too bad and if I put the same will it have any adverse effect on the tyres or the vehicle when driving at OTR's?
I think if you are tight on budget, the 1st option will be better, otherwise the 2nd option is better. Regarding the 275 tyres on 550, well I think look wise they don't look bad at all (my personal opinion), but the problem may be in the size of the army rim as Desertking has mentioned i.e. to accommodate those wide tyres, the rims also need to be different. Secondly, it will make the steering really heavy; however since you are going for PS (which brand by the way?), probably it will not be that difficult. Regarding the safari tyres and alloys, do the PCD match that of the 550? And yeah harjeev, mat finish is definitely much more difficult to maintain.
-regards,
Old 8th January 2009, 15:42   #167
Senior - BHPian

@Ricky_3007
I maybe wrong but I remember reading somewhere that the name of the color is Army Metalic Henna Green. But I am confused whether was the color of the Army vehicle or the Mahindra Legends that were launched by M&M as special editions.

@Pram
I thought of the US Army Khakhi color and really like it too, but my brother dint quite like it. The only concensus was on Army Green either the Indian Army or the US one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I think if you are tight on budget, the 1st option will be better, otherwise the 2nd option is better. Regarding the 275 tyres on 550, well I think look wise they don't look bad at all (my personal opinion), but the problem may be in the size of the army rim as Desertking has mentioned i.e. to accommodate those wide tyres, the rims also need to be different. Secondly, it will make the steering really heavy; however since you are going for PS (which brand by the way?), probably it will not be that difficult.
I will add alloys to the jeep, but only later. Right now I am think that I might put the tyres on the army rims like Pushkin has done and though his vehicle is without power steering its very drivable in the city and the highway. He used the vehicle very regularlly on the highways too.
We have bought the KOYO power steering.

I will have to check whether the PCD's match, but will be adding tyres on the army rims only. Also Ive read Trammway's post and he also looks very happy with the chinese tyres. I might check out that too.

Anyone know the cost of the "Yokohama Geolanders 275/70R16 AT-S"?
Old 8th January 2009, 16:07   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ricky_3007
I maybe wrong but I remember reading somewhere that the name of the color is Army Metalic Henna Green. But I am confused whether was the color of the Army vehicle or the Mahindra Legends that were launched by M&M as special editions.
You are right Harjeev, the same colour name has been mentioned in some other thread in the forum. And its probably the colour of the normal army jeeps not the Legend.
Quote:
....his vehicle is without power steering its very drivable in the city and the highway....Anyone know the cost of the "Yokohama Geolanders 275/70R16 AT-S"?
Thats very encouraging to know for people who are not going for PS in jeeps. The cost of those tyres may be in the range of 7k+
-regrads,
Old 8th January 2009, 17:00   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
nice to see the rubi shaping up to a clone of the Big jeep from yankee land.

hope the support for the springs last long....really long!

cheers:
Quote:
i would like to see M&M 540/550 in their original shape rather than being converted into clones!

nothing like the original....cheers:
Hahahaa! Parm when did you change your mind

I saw here another thread started by yourself asking the suggetions and help with an idea of changing a 550 into a Wrangler Renegade, if am not wrong? Hot discussions were going on there for some times back.

sadiq.

Last edited by Salikt : 8th January 2009 at 17:03.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hahahaa! Parm when did you change your mind

I saw here another thread started by yourself asking the suggetions and help with an idea of changing a 550 into a Wrangler Renegade, if am not wrong? Hot discussions were going on there for some times back.

sadiq.

300 plus comments and the time i spent on T-Bhp forum, learning from experts, understanding the JEEP culture, looking at people's efforts in building their jeeps with their hands, treating them like babies...etc made me appriciate the JEEP and reject its clones.

i have understood the originality of the vehicle and reject the idea of clones.

thats why you see me transforming into a person who now understands jeep in its original form and not bling bling!
Old 9th January 2009, 09:46   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..i have understood the originality of the vehicle and reject the idea of clones...
..thats why you see me transforming into a person who now understands jeep in its original form and not bling bling!
Great, those were some comments. Now you really sound like a jeeper. Thing is that, with only these kind of vehicles people have the option to try out some modifications as per his choice, so for beginners (like me) its bit difficult to resist that temptation. This shouldn't be termed as 'bling bling' but rather a design of one's own liking. But it has to be taken care that the modifications don't end up in overdone state like the Mayapuri or Dabwali jeeps.
-Best regards,
Old 9th January 2009, 13:56   #172
BHPian

@Ricky_3007

Hi Harjeev,

Yesterday , I spoke to one of the retd Army Personal who was working in Automobile dept in Indian Army and now settled in Goa. He also said the color is Olive Green and they(in army ) call it as OG color .
I remember in Asian Paint we have 2 shades one is Olive green and New Olive green . I will check up which is more matching . Anyways I am going to ask my Brother to match the shade in 2K or Siekens tinting machine(which he has in his facility) and get the exact color let it be any shade name.

Tarkesh
Old 9th January 2009, 14:56   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Anyways I am going to ask my Brother to match the shade in 2K or Siekens tinting machine(which he has in his facility) and get the exact color let it be any shade name.

Tarkesh
Tarkesh that would be great. Once you know the correct shade, please do let me know as well. Maybe you could also ask you bro, and if he know. what is the correct shade of the american army green. I am think either of the two colors

Small update on the progress

* Just got of the phone with my cousin. He'll be getting the FIP from the service center tomorrow (saturday) The estimate is big about 10K. How much does a new FIP cost?? is it too expensive to justify this kind of an expense??
* The engine along with the engine head is all cleaned up, washed and ready for assembling together. The engine was re-bored a couple of days back(new sleeves have been put in place). We will assemble it on Sunday and maybe start it too. My cousin said that it has to be done in one sitting only. So sunday will be a long day
* they will be starting the work on the chassis tomorrow cleaning, sand blasting etc etc
* once the engine is done on sunday, next week the front and rear diff's along with the brakes will be overhauled
* I have asked him to paint the engine, gearbox, diffs and all other parts in army green color. As I have thought of going with either the Indian Army green or the US army green, So this will comlimment either of the two colors.
* The entire body tub will be treated with a coat of 3M anti rust coating afterwards

So if all this is completed by next week end, all the major mechanical work will be taken care off. This will then leave the steering, clutch etc which I think should not take more than a week.

So lets see. More updates after Sunday
Old 9th January 2009, 20:53   #174
Senior - BHPian

hi
harjeev, these here are some color combination's for your 550.

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-jeep-color.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-jeep-color-2.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-jeepster.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-jeepster-3.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-jeepster-4.jpg

the cj3 in pic 2 is very good combination for non army look.
the matt black color will give a machine (also a little evil) look & will be stand out in OTR's .
also take a look at rear end of jeep wrangler .

cheers:
Old 9th January 2009, 22:25   #175
BHPian

Quote:
* Just got of the phone with my cousin. He'll be getting the FIP from the service center tomorrow (saturday) The estimate is big about 10K. How much does a new FIP cost?? is it too expensive to justify this kind of an expense??
I don't know the cost of a new FIP but the one on my 550 too cost around 12000 to service at bosch's service center.

cheer's vishwas
Old 9th January 2009, 22:48   #176
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure if the new FIPs(distributor type) are available in market as they are out of production line. and the inline pumps are no more available as a brand new. but the inside elements are available as brand new. here 10k is really expensive. all it needs is replacing the plunger(cost 400rs each for a inline and should not be more than 1k for a distributor type), springs and bearing. service charges should not be more than 1k which also involves fine tuning the FIP on test bench and checking for delivery for all the cylinders and pressure buildup. thats nothing but fuel balancing. apart from this are the injector nozzles. each should be around/within 500rs for a brand new. most of the service centers do cheat people on this. infact i was quoted 7k for my FIP, finally i got everything done for 3k and i personally got it checked for all the tests as they carried out in front of me. the 3k includes new injector nozzle for all the cylinders.
Old 10th January 2009, 01:43   #177
Senior - BHPian

here is one colour which is quite different from the green colour....
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-0808_4wd_01_zjeep_wrangler_unlimited_j8front_view.jpg  

Old 10th January 2009, 08:09   #178
Senior - BHPian

hi
harjeev

here is a link , it has all possible army colors with detailed information.

(its a army color chart of many countries )

cheers:
Old 12th January 2009, 14:07   #179
Senior - BHPian

* BUMP *

@harjeev : Any updates on yesterday's happenings ??
Old 13th January 2009, 12:50   #180
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

What happened? No updates yet, I'm eagerly waiting for your post here

sali

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks