Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:25   #106
BHPian

You mean plungers as used in injection systems, or like the one used for the oil pumps in the older cast iron lump enfields?
How does it work, via a solenoid and an oscillating switch?
Thats great news, i think i try to break an old useless pump open to see how this pluger works?

Anyways, i have an AC( glassi) pump in my '71 jeep. The '65 too uses the same pump, but it also has a lower mechanism within the pump body itself to get the vacuum source for the wipers working. None of these pumps work, though the '65 still just has a half dead/working pump. I did manage to find diaphragms for the pump, but they were all old and brittle so no use at all. I found a carter pump, but again here i lost the vacuum source.

Right now, the '65 is standing in my village as i bought it, since it's still got it's original paint, so i am yet to plan how to start off restoring it, but i'am running the '71 on electronic pumps, and frankly, i've lost track of how many of these pumps i've lost, mostly due to offroading in streams in the shivalik hills. I tried all qualities of pumps, the good and the bad, but they just seemed to overheat and give up pretty soon, leaving me strangled in the middle of nowhere. And the reason for that, as far as i can make out is the load on the pump, when its chucking in more fuel than what the carb needs, and then the load from the excess pressure builds up. If i could get some kind of piping and valve network to work that can get the excess fuel to return back into the fuel tanks via a valve that opens up once a threshold pressure reaches as the pressure builds up when the carb valve shuts. You would know more about them, so please do let me know your views about it.

Now i got my hand on a new set of Denki/Injecto pump used in the Nissan Patrols, and it has a good condition diaphragm too, so i'll see if i can get this diaphragm to fit into the jeep AC pump.

How i wish i had one of these primer knobs that came in the WW2 Dodge WC's, and it would have atleast made me a secondary fallback device in case the main pump crashes.
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:32   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Bikram - you are absolutely correct. The key is in allowing excess fuel to return. Just for academic sake, please dig out an old petrol 118NE in Chandigarh which has its exhaust tailpipe coming out on the left side below the rear bumper and observe its fuel system. I have done the complete fuel system. That's what you need to do.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:54   #108
BHPian

118NE, lol, its more difficult than looking for a needle in a haystack here, but i'll give it a shot. You got me very useful info over here. Thanks a lot.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:30   #109
BHPian

Update request?

Hi Harjeev

How is the 3B running? Have you sorted out the fuel problem now?

So now we wait for the work to start on the Willys in a couple of months?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 24th April 2009, 19:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

@Ankit
The 3B is running good.
The fuel issues is the same, still I am waiting for Behram sir's guidance to sort out the fuel issue.
I will not be touching the WILLYS for another year or more. No plans whatsoever...
Old 29th April 2009, 17:07   #111
BHPian

Behram Sir, even I am waiting for your post on do's and dont's while fitting electronic fuel pump. Jaggu's suggestions and Bikram's posts have given me an idea of how this Fuel Pump works and I also know now that there were a few things that need correcting in the way I have fitted my Fuel Pump on my Willys. Am just waiting for your post, so that I can do it all at once. UBS Sir has recently sent me an original AC pump which I am yet to fit. In the interim, I would like to have a reliable electrical fuel pump system.

Also Sir, with regards to the fuel return system, I saw that Ganesh's (gbanavar) jeep had a fuel return system. I had gone there in my jeep and was able to compare the two carbs. Both Ganesh's jeep and my 3B have the same Solex Carb, but his has a fuel return pipe and mine has a bolt instead. Please have a look at picture below of Ganesh's Engine Bay, you will see that there are two pipes attached to the carb. One pipe supplies fuel from the the fuel pump to the carb, while the other takes unused fuel back to the petrol tank.

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-111985d1237176491t1968cj3bupgradeprojectimage0134.jpg

So, if I get the correct size nipple, would I be able to use this as a Fuel Return (The Petrol tank already has provisions for it), just need to work out the carb bit. This will also prevent the carburator from becoming 'RICH' and possibly improve Fuel Efficiency as well.
Old 8th May 2009, 15:00   #112
BHPian

Harjeev,

I must congratulate you for your love of Jeeps. I believe you have 2 Jeeps going through restoration simultaneously. Hats off to you Harjeev, you are one lucky person to have such amazing vehicles. Your SWB jeep sure looks good even when you have not gone for full restoration.

Congrats once again.

Regards
Old 9th May 2009, 13:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Update on the CJ3B

@Autorazy
Thanks Buddy

Update on the CJ3B
Hey Guys
I took the 3B for its 1st OTR on the 6th of May09.
It was good fun but as the OTR started very late I couldn't really experiment and get to know the capabilities of my jeep.

Some of the issues that i have faced or am facing are and changes done to the vehicle
  • I have added spark plug adaptors. As The vehicle is giving alot of white smoke, I thought that this would be a good solution for the time being.
  • I have decided to change the engine rings and this will be done next week.
  • The status of the heating issue is such like on my way to Gurgaon for the OTR the temperature went up to almost 110 degrees. All this while I was driving at speeds of 60-65 km/hr. But on the way back I drove around 40 ish and the temperature dint go above 80. So is driving slow the solution? The only issue is that it becomes very boring when you are alone and the road in front of you is totally empty. But I am told that once I change the rings I might be able to drive at a little higher speeds.
  • The electric pump that I am using is a local make and I am changing that to UCAL electric pump.
    As I am sending the vehicle to the mechanic on monday, I am changing the complete fuel system. ALso I have decided to place the electric fuel pump next to the fuel tank itself. The carburator will also be overhauled along with the rest of the work.
  • I have also decided to change the manual fuel pump too. The problem is that UCAL is not available and the one available is PICKO or something like that. How good or bad is this brand?
  • Last week I had an issue. The oil from the oil filter completely leaked from the jeep. This happened after I started the jeep after 5 days and took one round of my colony at very high revs. This actually happened the 2nd time. So upon discussion with the mechanic he concluded that the oil pressure is too high and he adjusted it. So now on 'idle' the oil pressure remains around '1' and the max it goes to is '4'.Earlier on Idle it used to remain around 4 and upon very low revs used to go to the MAX 7!!! Is this how it should be??
  • Many a times, but not always the 4x4 High--Neutral--Low lever slips to Neutral. Also this happens more on high revs and really becomes an issue when off-roading. But When I am on 4x4 low its never slips back to Neutral
So this is the gist of what I am planning to do now. All suggestion/ comments are welcome!!!

Here are some pics of my CJ3B at the OTR
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7408.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7401.jpg  

Old 9th May 2009, 15:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

Facet pumps are highly rated over here. See if you can source one in Delhi or you can easily buy off ebay.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:27   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check the dwell angle of the Lucas TVS distributor, set it to 60 degrees, check the ignition timing, set it to 10 degrees before TDC, your heating problem may be due to incorrect dwell and timing. Mayapuri effect my friend!

By the way, is it white smoke or blue smoke? Need to analyse. Don't waste money just like that. Please call me on 09820709513, we need to talk.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th May 2009, 14:39   #116
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

Good to know that you took your 3B for the NIOC OTR on 6th. I bet it was fun with you this time driving rather than clicking. Hope the Jeep performed well?

Regards,

Autocraze
Old 11th May 2009, 17:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
What I feel is that your engine, radiator, carburettor, distributor needs to be checked and tuned by a real Jeep expert.
Adding slip rings / spacers etc. to spark plugs is a temporary sloution that works more like a few eatra rounds on a taxi.
On a quality build jeep that can go offroad, we need reliable and perfect work.

I recommend very seriously give it to an absolute expert, come to Gurgaon and give it to Dharampal Mechanic, of Yogesh Auto, Opp. Nehru Stadium. Parts if any required are also available nearby and he too can conjure up a few parts.

There are not many mechanics left these days who can tune a Solex carburettor, and this guy here is an absolute master.

He is over 70 years old. While he is around, avail of it I would say.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:35   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Harjeev,
What I feel is that your engine, radiator, carburettor, distributor needs to be checked and tuned by a real Jeep expert.
Hi Desertfox,

What you basically mean is that he get the whole engine overhauled as you have not left any part that does not need any mechanical checkup. Just kidding ya.

Harjeev I suggest you could probably show your Jeep to the mechanic that Desertfox has mentioned.

Regards,

Autocraze
Old 11th May 2009, 18:48   #119
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev has a heating problem. its either the radiator or head gasket.

Starting problems - Distributor / plugs / carburettor

Smoke coming out - A serious look at the engine condition and to see if the oil seals are OK.

Then the tuning part. Here a real old hand is required and there ain't too many left now who can tune petrol engines to perfection.

My own CJ3B used to sound like a diesel, but after Dharampal tuned it it sounds more like a maruti 800 now.

But of course in my case the Hurricane Engine was brand new, just 2000 k on it although it was over 3 decades old. A complete overhaul was done in Allahabad earlier so there was never a problem from the engine.

If there are oil leaks and all seals and gaskets are fine within tolerances, try the old mineral oil, HP no. 40 or similar instead of the new 20W50 multigrades. That seems to fix the oil leak problems in many cases.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev has a heating problem. its either the radiator or head gasket.
I have got the radiator cleaned and the head gasket changed

Quote:
Starting problems - Distributor / plugs / carburettor
The spark plugs and distributor are brand new.
The carburetor is being serviced as we speak.
The problem with the starting is only in the mornings, I think this is because the fuel does not reach the carb. So I am getting he Manual fuel pump changed. Further I added a electric fuel pump a while back and I just have to switch it on in the mornings for about 5-6 seconds,and the 3B starts easily. Further the electric pump is a local brand and I am replacing it with a new UCAL electric pump. So I guess that this should solve this issue.
I will keep the local electric pump as a standby.
Quote:
Smoke coming out - A serious look at the engine condition and to see if the oil seals are OK.
The engine was not overhauled. Also the rings are totally worn out. And the buleish white smoke comes when the 3B has been driven for a little while and the engine warms up.

Quote:
Here a real old hand is required and there ain't too many left now who can tune petrol engines to perfection.
I agree

Quote:
My own CJ3B used to sound like a diesel, but after Dharampal tuned it it sounds more like a maruti 800 now.

But of course in my case the Hurricane Engine was brand new, just 2000 k on it although it was over 3 decades old. A complete overhaul was done in Allahabad earlier so there was never a problem from the engine.

If there are oil leaks and all seals and gaskets are fine within tolerances, try the old mineral oil, HP no. 40 or similar instead of the new 20W50 multigrades. That seems to fix the oil leak problems in many cases.
Why did your brand new engine sound like a diesel. My 3B after it starts has no sound atall.
I think that after the rings are changed, I will see if the problem still persists and take it from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks