Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 19:38   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Guys
After much though and discussion I have decided to go with option number 2.
I will be getting the mechanical work done and start to drive the jeep as it is. Take it for the OTR's etc. After driving it around for some time and maybe around the end of the year I will get the denting and painting work done.
I will talk to the mechanic today evening and get an estimate about the costs involved.
Will update at night.
Hi Harjeev

So you are going to be using the 550 and the 3b both at the same time? The 550 is nearly ready and the 3b for mechanicals only should not take more than 2 to 3 weeks.

Well, this means I get to drive one of the on a OTR?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 26th March 2009, 08:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Harjeev I guess you need to be rechristened as "HarJeep" or "HailJeep".
Actually Yogesh (from Jaipur) has already done that!!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1205830

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I read all your posts and at times again. I would love to have something like Mahindra classic with me before I get too old to drive. And yes that vehicle would be a product of learning from all your experiments and hard work, last but not least your devotion towards it.
Thanks Rhandle!! You coments mean alot.
Mahindra classics are great, but have you seen the CJ3B's???
I find them prefect...
Why dont you be on the lookout for one of those. They are not as expensive as CLASSIC's and cost less to overhaul and maintain. The only hitch is that they are petrol engines,
The best I like about them is that they are getting rarer by the day.
So if you come across one someday, buy it, and if you dont, I will be highly obliged if you can pass off the lead to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Harjeev

So you are going to be using the 550 and the 3b both at the same time? The 550 is nearly ready and the 3b for mechanicals only should not take more than 2 to 3 weeks.
Ankit,
Its rather the other way around. I thinkn that I should have the 3B by next week end as I am only geting the mechanicals done and a little paint touchup here and there. That's it.
Whereas the 550 will take another 10 day to two week,
Quote:
Well, this means I get to drive one of the on a OTR?
And Ankit you dont have to ask. You can drive one anytime and anyplace you want...

I talked to the mechanic yesterday and will be leaving the CJ3B at his workshop on Friday. He saiid that the engine shouuld not take more than 3-4 days and add another 2 days for the paint touchup and electricals etc. and another 2 days for hood, seats, small dents etc.

Last edited by harjeev : 26th March 2009 at 08:20.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I talked to the mechanic yesterday and will be leaving the CJ3B at his workshop on Friday. He saiid that the engine shouuld not take more than 3-4 days and add another 2 days for the paint touchup and electricals etc. and another 2 days for hood, seats, small dents etc.
By Indian timing thats some going if he completes in that amount of time.

I guess we look forward to seeing this one ready in a week or so.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:05   #64
BHPian

Harjeev - now we will HAVE to do an OTR on the 10th april weekend with your 3b!!
Old 27th March 2009, 09:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

@satnam
@ankit
I am myself looking forward to this too.

The tow crane will arrive at my house around 10 and I will send the CJ3B to Mayapuri.
I have told the mechanic to do the bare minimum mechanical work.
Will update later in the day.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

The mechanic was busy today and will start the work on the 3B tomorrow. He will then give me the estimate on the work to be done, cost etc.

I will head to Mayapuri tomorrow afternoon after the OTR is over and then workout the rest of the details like hood, seats, etc.
As I will be at the OTR it would be a nice opportunity to see the CJ3B;s there, take pictures and get ideas for my CJ3B.

But I have decided not to to get it painted now and drive it just as it is.
Old 29th March 2009, 14:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

I went to Mayapuri yesterday, after the OTR.
  • The CJ3B was started!!!
  • The sound was, well... not what I would like to have on my CJ3B but was still not that bad too. I have decided to keep it as it. Not getting anything done on the engine, except for oil change, spark plug and wires etc.
  • There is no clutch system on the jeep. The mechanic said that it has been removed. So will be added new.
  • The brake system, will be overhauled.
  • The mechanic estimates that parts worth about 12-15 k will be required. This should everything. Lets see.
  • Labor charges 5k. The labor sound more, but he(mechanic) said that whether I get the engine overhaul done or not, the labor charge will be the same. The only difference the engine overhaul will make is the time and cost of parts. This if required, I will get done later and should cost be about 15-20k including labor. But now I am not touching the engine.
  • I am not touching the 3B for either the paint or the denting. I know if I try to get even the smallest thing done, it will slowly and gradually go keep on expanding.
  • The seats and hood should cost about 4K and 2k respectively.
  • The battery another 4k
  • Then comes the electrics, maybe 2k. Including backlights, bulbs, labor etc.
  • The tyres 6x16 NDMS maybe 10k
  • Misc 8k
I dont that that I have missed anything major. So this should come to about 50k.
Then maybe later this year I will get on with the denting, painting which should be in the range of 15k-20k and another 20k for the engine overhaul, if required.

Here are some pictures of the CJ3B in the condition that I bought it in.
Nothing has been done except for customary washing with normal water.
I think that I can drive it around in this condition. I know that it is not in the most pristine condition, but not that pathetic as well.
Or am I wrong here???

What I will be getting is a little touchup with paint here and there, and then the rubbing and polishing.
This along with new hood and seats should make it quite drivable, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_3369.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_3374.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_3377.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_3379.jpg  

Old 29th March 2009, 14:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that I can drive it around in this condition. I know that it is not in the most pristine condition, but not that pathetic as well.
Or am I wrong here???
You are right, you see vehicles in far worse looking state than this.

Are you getting this vehicle registered with RTO etc ?
Old 6th April 2009, 21:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Update on the CJ3B

Quite a lot of work has been completed. I could not update as was not feeling quite well. The pictures that I have uploaded in this post are quite a number of days old.
  • The gearbox has been overhauled.
  • The petrol tank will be put in new
  • I have bought new tyres. (Still have to collect them from the shop though)
  • Bought rhino hooks and front clamps
  • Bought the front driver seat (original off an Army disposal vehicle)
  • Have ordered a new seat for the back
  • Getting all the seats remade with padding and all
  • New soft top
  • Bought an original rear tail gate complete with original clamps annd tyre mount
This is a gist of the work done or will be done.
I have no idea that I have paid more or less for the original stuff that I have bought. Its just that all the stuff that I have bought is original and I am happy at that. Even if I end up spending 5-10k more on the original stuff, I am still happy about it

In the attached pictures you will see that the engine is not mounted on the chassis. But at present it back on the chassis with the gearbox and transfer case etc
Today I have found a new shop in Mayapuri who has all the original stuff and that too for quite a decent price.
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7181.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7182.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7183.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7184.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7185.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7189.jpg  

Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B-img_7190.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 6th April 2009, 22:14   #70
BHPian

Hey Harjeev, what are you going to do with the original petrol tank, the one with the dipstick on it?
I have been looking for a good unit,since they are'nt available anymore. The ones we use now are basically diesel tanks(exactly the same shape, but the groove on the top, for the fuel return pipe, is bigger, so the petrol dip-stick does not fit in there). Or if you could find one, please do let me know. Thanks
Bikram
Old 6th April 2009, 22:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Today I have found a new shop in Mayapuri who has all the original stuff and that too for quite a decent price.
Which shop is that? Khairati lal w22?

cheers
vishwas
Old 6th April 2009, 23:19   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Hey Harjeev, what are you going to do with the original petrol tank, the one with the dipstick on it?
I have been looking for a good unit,since they are'nt available anymore. The ones we use now are basically diesel tanks(exactly the same shape, but the groove on the top, for the fuel return pipe, is bigger, so the petrol dip-stick does not fit in there). Or if you could find one, please do let me know. Thanks
Bikram
Thats exactly my problem. When I fill the Petrol tank of my CJ3B it shows half full because of this difference, in my case too a Diesel model tank was fitted when it was being restored in Allahabad with an Original Petrol model dip stick and fuel gauge.

But of course I resort to the time tested method of dip stick measurement, which we have used for years on Jeeps.

First 1 inch is 7 litres, every subsequent inch is 5 litres of Petrol.

Harjeev - after reading all five pages of this thread I discovered that restoring a CJ3B Jeep is expensive.

Aquisition cost - 65,000
Registration - 13,000 to 15,000
Restoration cost - 100,000

All this adds up to a good 180,000

In my case the aquisition cost was exactly the same 65,000 but it was running and was registered with tax paid for next fifteen years.

The total cost incurred in restoring it with full suspension, electrical, new barely used Hurricane engine, 4x4 system overhaul, new hood came to 85,000.

THe vehicle was ready for 150,000.

But look at the situation, everybody dreams to own a CJ3B, but if you want to sell one with all the hard work done for free, there is hardly a taker for 150,000 ! What an irony !
Old 6th April 2009, 23:43   #73
BHPian

I have a dipstick with me, and it does have the number indicating the liters on it. the big guage,etc,etc.
My '71 Cj3b was done ground up, and infact about 8 yrs ago,when i started collecting parts for my future jeep, i had managed to get a new set of the older type tapered springs(used on pre78' RCL jeeps), so i am using that on the '71. Soon, i'll have to start something on the '65, but i am still collecting things for it.
Yes ,it is expensive. I bought my Cj for about Rs.15,000 from Himachal from an apple farmer, and buy the time it was 90% restored(still looking for 7.00x16 MRF non-directional tires), i had spend a good 1.3 lakhs on it. There are loads of parts that are very difficult to come by, so sooner, it will again loose its hurricane(had once put a Di in it ealier too) to donate it to the '65's future.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Which shop is that? Khairati lal w22?

cheers
vishwas
When you cross pali and take a right turn, this shop comes on the LHS.
He has good original stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Thats exactly my problem. When I fill the Petrol tank of my CJ3B it shows half full because of this difference, in my case too a Diesel model tank was fitted when it was being restored in Allahabad with an Original Petrol model dip stick and fuel gauge.

But of course I resort to the time tested method of dip stick measurement, which we have used for years on Jeeps.

First 1 inch is 7 litres, every subsequent inch is 5 litres of Petrol.

Harjeev - after reading all five pages of this thread I discovered that restoring a CJ3B Jeep is expensive.

Aquisition cost - 65,000
Registration - 13,000 to 15,000
Restoration cost - 100,000

All this adds up to a good 180,000
My restoration budget right now will not cross 40-50k. But as I am not getting it painted and not overhauled the engine, I guess that I have saved 40-50k. So yes they are expensive, but again cheaper than diesels.

Quote:
But look at the situation, everybody dreams to own a CJ3B, but if you want to sell one with all the hard work done for free, there is hardly a taker for 150,000 ! What an irony !
You have a good running vehicle, so why do you wanna sell it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
I have a dipstick with me, and it does have the number indicating the liters on it. the big guage,etc,etc.
Brutus
Can you tell me where can I find this dip stick.
My petrol tank has the hole, but there is no dip stick in it. I have presently replaced the tank, but will get the original petrol tank repaired and keep it as a spare.

Quote:
My '71 Cj3b was done ground up, and infact about 8 yrs ago,when i started collecting parts for my future jeep, i had managed to get a new set of the older type tapered springs(used on pre78' RCL jeeps), so i am using that on the '71. Soon, i'll have to start something on the '65, but i am still collecting things for it.
Even myself, I have started collecting parts for my CJ3B, and later on I plan to sell my MM550 and retain just petrol CJ3B's.
Maybe Ill but another CJ3B later, after I sell my MM550.

Could yo please share where do you find these parts???
Dabwali, Moga or Mayapuri.
I too have started to build an inventory and whatever original parts I can manage to lay my hands on
Old 8th April 2009, 12:38   #75
BHPian

I found that brass dipstick in Phantankot. Actually took them off 3 jeeps ,but distributed 2 to friends looking for one. About 2 yrs ago when loads of pre '75 jeeps were auctioned by the army, and most of them ended up in dabwalli. Not only could i easily locate old older type fenders and windscreens, but loads of spares from the older type engines too. The oil filter housings, AC Glassi pumps, and stuff.
The dipstick though is a little difficult to locate because not many people ask for it and most of the times ,you have to ask them to take it off the jeeps.
As for the spares, locating parts for pre'75 jeeps is even more difficult since there are a number of differences, especially the oil filters and stuff. I found some parts in Ganganager, some in Dehli, but most of them were from Rampur in Himachal, were i went visiting and stumbled upon something. There was this Tata spares contracter for an ongoing govt. hydro project, who was earlier known to be a mahindra spares dealer for the area. I went to him and learnt he still had older parts like engine oil pumps(older model), steering assemblys, engine parts, old big guages, etc. I bought all the stuff that was there and i was charged about 4 grand for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks