Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 19:49   #46
BHPian

help asap

guys i'm in need of immediate help. My 4wd is stuck in neutral. Car doesnt move with gear engaged and clutch out. Pls help asap
Old 28th February 2009, 20:36   #47
BHPian

no help? I'm still stranded.! 4wd Lever wont shift out of neutral.
Old 28th February 2009, 21:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a Gypsy restoration anytime !! I would have had one if I did not have a slipped disc in my vertebrae :-(

good going, so what is the final outcome going to be ??

Nice work going..I read somewhere in this thread of a VITARA engine are you serious ?? It should be a stonker !! Have you seen or driven a conversion like that ??

All the best for your project !

Cheers
Old 28th February 2009, 21:45   #49
BHPian

Chargerman,
That is a common problem when the transfer case lever wears out.
Unscrew the bolts of the retainer plate of the rubber boot covering the lever and lift up the boot.
Open the cap locking the lever into the transfer case and pull out the lever.
Use a long screwdriver and nudge the shifting pins till you get back into gear. Hope I make sense to you.
Cheers
Old 28th February 2009, 23:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Chargerman,
That is a common problem when the transfer case lever wears out.
Unscrew the bolts of the retainer plate of the rubber boot covering the lever and lift up the boot.
Open the cap locking the lever into the transfer case and pull out the lever.
Use a long screwdriver and nudge the shifting pins till you get back into gear. Hope I make sense to you.
Cheers
Yes sir, complete sense. I've just done as u mentioned and i'm out of trouble! Thanks so much. I was afraid of losing my 4wd for good! But then the vitara engine transfer case and gear box are ready and waiting!
Old 1st March 2009, 12:04   #51
BHPian

finally got the gypsy home, even though theres lots to be done with the interior, i got her home and started detailing it myself. door pads/carpets/hood/seats/ all pending but getting there!
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy restoration:-010320093166.jpg  

Gypsy restoration:-010320093167.jpg  

Gypsy restoration:-010320093168.jpg  

Gypsy restoration:-010320093169.jpg  

Gypsy restoration:-010320093171.jpg  

Gypsy restoration:-010320093172.jpg  

Gypsy restoration:-010320093173.jpg  

Old 1st March 2009, 14:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerman View Post
.... But then the vitara engine transfer case and gear box are ready and waiting!....
This sure got my attention. You think the Gypsy diffs, clutch and tranny can take the increased power, 120bhp, and torque??? I am asking because I have no idea. I hope so. Should be interesting.

Khan, the heat is on .

Wonder what the fuel average will be?
Old 1st March 2009, 14:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This sure got my attention. You think the Gypsy diffs, clutch and tranny can take the increased power, 120bhp, and torque??? I am asking because I have no idea. I hope so. Should be interesting.

Khan, the heat is on .

Wonder what the fuel average will be?
i have a friend who has done it already and he uses the car in his remote village home, lucky for him he has a cng station nearby and he uses cng. his car gives him an avg of 12kmpl since its pulling something so light.. his diff and all is connected to the vit engine and he has no probz whatsoever using it, he uses 4H most of the time and enjoys the extra oomph to climb hills and cross creeks... i have 2 engines in mind, one is the vitara and the other is a 3C-T 2.2 turbo diesel, though i think this will be too heavy and powerful for the gypsy! a friend in the US also has a V6 samurai!
Old 1st March 2009, 14:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have 2 engines in mind, one is the vitara and the other is a 3C-T 2.2 turbo diesel, though i think this will be too heavy and powerful for the gypsy!
I have seen one installed. It was tight but they got it in but I do no know how it performed. I have been told that these old Toyota diesels are imported after somebody has driven the life out of them in Malaysia or Thailand. I have also wondered if an Indian diesel could be swapped in. E.G. a M&M mdi3200tc or that older Tata turbo they used to use in the Victa, the one that is just under 2000cc.
Old 1st March 2009, 15:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen one installed. It was tight but they got it in but I do no know how it performed. I have been told that these old Toyota diesels are imported after somebody has driven the life out of them in Malaysia or Thailand. I have also wondered if an Indian diesel could be swapped in. E.G. a M&M mdi3200tc or that older Tata turbo they used to use in the Victa, the one that is just under 2000cc.
the toyota diesels, or any engines that come into our country are all imported from Japan. they usually have a certificate with model year and kms travelled tag hanging in them. our country thrives and survives on these recon engines and for the price some are just awesome, we can get a Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 4000cc engine with gearbox and ECU for about 80k tk thats like 50k rupees. now bolting that into a merc or something makes it a very interesting project. we recently did a conversion where a we fitted a W123 merc with a Supra 2JZ motor n it FLIES!! had to upgrade brakes too bigger ones for that...these conversions are very popular here...i will send u pics of a engine dealer in a few days they have about 300-400 engines with them at all times...
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:34   #56
BHPian

by the way what tires can i fit as an alternative, i had 225/75s but the rub when turning the wheels and climbing up and down... i also want to gain some height, where do i get these shackles? is it available in india?
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
by the way what tires can i fit as an alternative, i had 225/75s but the rub when turning the wheels and climbing up and down... i also want to gain some height, where do i get these shackles? is it available in india?
Chargerman,

these are some solutions for tyre rubbing:

Easier : 215/75 R15..no problems on lock to lock! And a straight fit!

Slightly more expensive: Use a good Alloys and fit 235/75..the wheels should not touch lock to lock if we use negative offset alloys.

A little engineering effort: 235/75s on stock gypsy rims..but the engineering takes time!

The shackles can remain the same, but you can re-camber the springs to gain a little height. Also fitting proper bump stops and good shocks, the wheel will NOT touch the inside mudgaurd!
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:35   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... You think the Gypsy diffs, clutch and tranny can take the increased power, 120bhp, and torque???
The Vitara engine swap is common in US -- at least that's what I have gathered from the US based Zuk forums.
However, most of them do end up beefing the diffs (Yota, Toyota, etc ) and other parts of the tyranny.

Quote:
..i also want to gain some height, where do i get these shackles? is it available in india?
Well, if YOU want to gain some height, then complan/horlicks may help.

If it is for the Gypsy, then lots of options available with varying degree of complexity:
  • 2" body height: Just put more spacers in body mount -- between ladder frame & body (Should require 10 spacers)
  • 2-3" height from springs: Either recamber, add extra leaf (at cost of ride quality), put rear springs upfront, longer springs, YJ springs etc.
  • Longer shackles (a 1" extra long shackle will give .5" height)
  • SPoA
  • Coil Over
Etc.....

Choose which ever you want and are comfortable with

PS: You can get shackles fabricated. Should not be much difficult. I have seen lots of fab Shackles on jeeps at least.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2009, 13:14   #59
BHPian

quite happy with the overall outcome of the gypsy! Its great fun to drive and somehow i do get loads of stares of envy and price offers now! Best part about it is its cost- it costs me 170 bucks to fill up everytime and this lasts me 5 days! For me its cheaper to run than a rickshaw! Max speed i've achieved was 90km! On cng. I haven't pushed it further as the engine still has less than 600km on it. Will post some pics asap. Regards-
Old 4th April 2009, 03:09   #60
BHPian

some pics of my gypsy! and my other cars.....

Asad Moyeen's Photos - automobilia | Facebook

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks