Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2008, 13:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I agree with Puffdamgcdragon to full extent.

I had a 1987 soft top gypsy for one year and was mostly driving on road, meaning highways. Then came 1995 gypsy 1000 cc modified by non other than DC. I have this for over 7 years now.

Today, though I have a second vehicle Chevy UVA, i yearn to drive gypsy. Being a part of hardcore off roaders - Jeepthrills and suzuki_gpsy-India (yahoogroups) , I indulge in extreme off roadings like , rock crawling, stream crossing, sand driving, slush driving, what not. I find the gypsy doing equally well compared to Jeeps and other 4WD monsters.

Advantage of gypsy is - it can take highway at great speeds and off roading efficiently. Toss a bag of sand at the back, you get a comfortable ride.

It is sad that Maruti is not selling in quantities of gypsies. It is however available on booking and waiting period. Indian Car owners are still debate on FE of their choice of vehicles. Such being the case, only motor enthusiasts go for gypsy.

Comparison of 1000 cc to 1300 cc Gypsy King:

Definitely 1000 cc is underpowered for the beast.

Gypsy King is an unstoppable monster. You get a good mileage on gypsy King MPFI version of between 12-14 kmpl.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2008, 17:30   #32
BHPian

dwarak,
i guess your gypsy runs on LPG. how does it perform when running on LPG??
i am assuming you use LPG only in the city.
Old 19th October 2008, 03:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thhe older Gypsy(1000 cc) is not a pig or a donkey, snail(one with an incredible apetite for the fossil stuff) is the right word for it. Sure it will hang on to a vertical wall, but never goes anywhere on a horizontal plane.

I used to drive on of these examples quite a lot in Bangalore, until I realized I really could not afford it's drinking habits. On a particular Nandi hills trip, I was made to eat humble pie when I could not overtake the puny zens/wagons r's etc, eventhough they were willing to let me go after I honked. Never used the horn again in the Gypsy since then. The ignominity of asking to overtake and then not being able to do it when given the chance, has to be experienced.......

ANother thing to be mentioned was it's brakes. Never have I actually stood up on the brakes to avoid hitting a vehicle in front. This was in regular traffic, no high speed stuff. Scary exprerience.

That said, I have seen the Gypsy King doing it's mountain goat act without much ado and I admire it's capabilities. But the MG410(W) is a strict no-no.

The only good time I had with this car was driving on the Maruthinagar road in Madiwala(back when you could actually move out of second gear on that road) in second or third gear at full throttle, no diffuser/muffler and the exhaust note reverberating off the buildings was to die for.it actually felt powerful on that narrow road, with that racy exhaust note.
Old 19th October 2008, 12:28   #34
BHPian

The engines came into Gypsys might be the pretty much same engines which came with maruthi 1000 and esteem, but with different gear boxes. ( Correct me if I am wrong )

If i am not wrong, 1.3 litre suzuki engine is far unmatchable performer than 1000. I am sure 1.3 litre engine with some basic level 1 mods make gypsy a dream machine.
Old 19th October 2008, 16:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
Still would say its a great suv to have.I LOVE IT
Really but it need some extra luxury, Or bit of modification on body. Basically the open top is best but we cant have one due to security reason in our spl country.
As I heard that GYPSY eat too much of fuel, is that true ?
Old 20th October 2008, 03:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Imagine a 1000cc engine giving a mileage of 6-7kmpl and you get an idea of it's apetite. Of course, this is when being driven hard, else you may be able to get a decent 9-10kmpl, treating the accelerator like a feather and letting the bullock carts overtake you.

I heard that the 413W's are more efficient and return 10+ kmpl, but I do not have first hand experience.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Friends,

Here is my observation of the Gypsy King 1.3L mpfi. (I own a 2002 model)
  • It gives me a decent mileage of ~10-11 kmpl in city. On highway it would give ~12-13 kmpl
  • The power of 1.3L mpfi is great (~82 BHP) when you consider that it has the same engine as in Esteem/Swift.
  • The torque is also ok (it can never match the diesel torque)
  • The driving feel & refinement (in engine terms) are way way ahead of the 1.0L.
My friends in off-roading who have 1.0L gypsies have always said that there is 'no comparison' between the mpfi version and the old versions. They are like comparing apples & oranges.

Having said that, it's very very difficult to find a good used mpfi Gypsy. There are more chances that you would find your ideal soul-mate, good wife/husband then finding a good mpfi model in used car market.

Also, if they are available the prices are way too high. It's a pure sellers market for the mpfi version -- plain & simple.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2008, 08:17   #38
BHPian

hi friends.I have been quoted 2.75 lakhs for an 2002 model mpfi hard top gypsy.Kindly suggest me what should be the right price if i want to strike the deal.I just need it for weekend drives only.
Regards
Braveheart

Ford Fiesta ZXI ABS
Maruti Zen
Honda Unicorn
Old 21st October 2008, 10:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Fair deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
...I have been quoted 2.75 lakhs for an 2002 model mpfi hard top gypsy....
If it is in good running condition with 4WD also working, then I would say 2.75 is a fair deal on a 2002 MPFI hardtop Gypsy King. You could of course try bargaining (maybe to 2.5 ).
Go for it !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 21st October 2008 at 10:10.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:24   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
hi friends.I have been quoted 2.75 lakhs for an 2002 model mpfi hard top gypsy.Kindly suggest me what should be the right price if i want to strike the deal.I just need it for weekend drives only...
If it is in good condition; GO FOR IT. don't waste time.

Just 2 days back a 1995 1.0L Gypsy went for 1.75L (had alloys + wrangler 255 tyres) in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Old 21st October 2008, 10:41   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
If it is in good condition; GO FOR IT. don't waste time.
I absolutely agree! Go for it. When it comes to gypsies, its a seller's market for sure. Buy it before it's sold or you'll regret it later.

I remember buying a used gypsy (after searching for one for almost 6 months), using it hard for five years and then selling it for a profit of 50K.

Once a gypsy driver, always a gypsy fanatic!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 21st October 2008 at 10:42.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2008, 23:57   #42
BHPian

thanks guys,for the suggestions.I will check with the owner and let you all know in a week's time because the vehicle is in other city so have to plan accordingly.

Ford Fiesta ZXI ABS
Maruti Zen
Honda Unicorn
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
dwarak,
i guess your gypsy runs on LPG. how does it perform when running on LPG??
i am assuming you use LPG only in the city.
Rangan,

Been using LPG on my gypsy for over 7 years now. No safety issues.

I use LPG for Highway as well as off roading. I did not find difference in power between the LPG and petrol

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Yes. Imagine a 1000cc engine giving a mileage of 6-7kmpl and you get an idea of it's apetite. Of course, this is when being driven hard, else you may be able to get a decent 9-10kmpl, treating the accelerator like a feather and letting the bullock carts overtake you.

I heard that the 413W's are more efficient and return 10+ kmpl, but I do not have first hand experience.
Kuttappan,

read your replies on power, braking and mileage issues

I own Gypsy MG 410 of 1995 issue. The problems you mentioned are specific to vehicles not with the models. MG 410 gives mileage anywhere between 8 - 10 pl. and braking is perfect in my case. I have saved goats, donkeys, men and women coming in front of the vehicle at high speeds.

When I say highspeeds, I meant at 120 kmph. I clocked speed of 135 kmph on Pune -Mumbai expressway.

On offroading too MG 410 is equally good as MG 413 if not worse.

Definitely, MG 413 is far more powerful, because of its engine capability and transmission. MPFI version of MG 413 gives mileage of 12- 13 kmpl.

Khan_Sultan who is owning MG 413 will vouch for my claim.

Dwarak
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Kuttappan,

read your replies on power, braking and mileage issues
I own Gypsy MG 410 of 1995 issue. The problems you mentioned are specific to vehicles not with the models. MG 410 gives mileage anywhere between 8 - 10 pl. and braking is perfect in my case. I have saved goats, donkeys, men and women coming in front of the vehicle at high speeds.

When I say highspeeds, I meant at 120 kmph. I clocked speed of 135 kmph on Pune -Mumbai expressway.

On offroading too MG 410 is equally good as MG 413 if not worse.

Definitely, MG 413 is far more powerful, because of its engine capability and transmission. MPFI version of MG 413 gives mileage of 12- 13 kmpl.

Khan_Sultan who is owning MG 413 will vouch for my claim.

Dwarak
Brakes, I would agree. The one I drove most didn't have proper brakes. But I would stand by the other observations as my opinion is not from driving a single example. The ones I drove were all on the wrong side of 50k kms mileage, and each felt severely underpowered. Fully loaded, the gypsy struggled to hit 100kph and laboured to a top speed of 110-115.

I would suggest getting your speedo checked, I wouldn't buy a 45bhp Gypsy doing 135kph. That too a 1995 model - Someone plonked in a 1.3l engine when you weren't looking?

Mileage, as I said can be in the 8-10 range or as bad as 5-7 depending on how lucky you are.

Offroad too, the 413W has a definite advantage over 410, when it comes to steep inclines, with the vehicle loaded. Torque has the final say.

Most Viewed