Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2005, 11:25   #1

Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Hi
I am new to the forum. Wanted to know the difference between Maruti Gypsy and Maruti Gypsy King.
Also...wat could i expect to pay fr a Gypsy King, Fibre top, 1998, 50k Km with AC and LPG installation.

Experts on this please advice.
Old 26th April 2005, 12:23   #2
BHPian

The gypsy had a 1 litre - 45 bhp engine.

Was a great engine, bullet proof reliability.

But was a bit underpowered.

The Gypsy King had the 1.3 litre - 62 bhp engine, imported from the Esteem.

Great combo, makes up the shortage of power in the earlier model.

The newer versions of the same have an MPFi, hence bettering the ouput to 82 bhp. (not present in the 98 model)

Its a great car to drive on rough roads.

The torque comes at the right rpm and that coupled with all 4 leaf spring suspensions, makes it a good one off the road.

But do not expect any kind of comfort from this one. It is meant for hard core driving. Especially the rear seat has an extremely bumpy ride.

I sold my 1990 model , hard top , wid AC and bridgestone radials for 56 K.

So my estimate for a 98 hard top with AC (assuming good tyres) would be somewhere around 90K to 1lac.
Scuderia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2005, 15:31   #3
BHPian

gypsy is out of fasion with kids also!,

do you really want to go for Gypsy??

While it is a great vehicle for rough terrains, I dont see any value in buying one for Mumbai.
Old 26th April 2005, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
gypsy is out of fasion with kids also!,

do you really want to go for Gypsy??

While it is a great vehicle for rough terrains, I dont see any value in buying one for Mumbai.
Mumbai roads are pretty rough terrain. Sorry! I could not resist that one. And yes I do agree that the Gypsy is kind of obsolete.
Old 26th April 2005, 15:42   #5
BHPian

well,

you havent seen bangalore roads yet,..

for a bangalorean, mumbai roads probably will look like Hema Malini's cheek (pun intented ). and

and yeah, I agree with you.. mumbai roads become real bad during monsoon..
Old 26th April 2005, 16:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well Prasy, there is also the current 82 bhp 1.3 litre MPFi version. The engine is the same Suzuki 13BB engine found on the Esteem and Versa as well, the torque curve is a little different to pull the nearly 1 ton vehicle through gradients and slush.

Finding a used Gypsy, especially in Mumbai should be tough. Don't pin your hopes on only one that you find. Take your time and look at atleast 3-4 before you decide. LPG kit on a Gypsy would really rob the vehicle of any power that produces. Coupled with the AC, and an autorickshaw would make mincemeat outta you.

My personal experience with the Gypsy is that it is a bit cramped but an extremely competent off-roader. The ride is a bit hard over anything that is a smooth surface. But then again, with leaf springs you really can't expect much. Ideally, look for a 2000+ model, if lucky go for the MPFi one. Expect it in the range of 1.5 to 2.25 L for a 2000-2003 model.

Revv
Old 26th April 2005, 16:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Alternatively, look for a last batch 4x4 Tata Sierra. With a nice diesel engine and space galore, you should find it an equally tempting option. Though extremely hard to find one.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2005, 18:43   #8
BHPian

Its a great car... but test drive it before... as it is not a easy car to drive bcoz it lacks power steering...
Old 26th April 2005, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to add one more point to what Scuderia mentioned. The Gypsy King also came with a wider track compared to the old Gypsys. You can tell by the black wheel arch flares.

If you are into off roading, the Gypsy is the King. Also its dosen't fall apart like a Sierra.
Old 26th April 2005, 19:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

car is bumpy, fun to drive offroad, drinks gas like no ones business, handles crazy when driven fast..all the puny lil cars wont take panga with it and if its white with hardtop people make way thinking ur a cop..gypsy wont go above 100kph, so be ready for others to wizzpast u.. but no one will overtake u in slush.. all ur friends would love to flick it during weekends for moving house, taking the team mates to outdoor trip, dropping fem fatales with huge luggage to airports and railway station..bonnet is good enough to hold u n ur gf/better half to park ass when cofee day is full.. good for buddies to drink liquor and the space on the rear good enough to carry them when they are sloshed..u get some major ego boost with people looking at u with green eyes..had one for a year.. and all the above part of the experience..

check differential noise (only one amazingly expensive part).. rest is bullet proof.. drive it for at least 50 kms before deciding..

sold mine 97model (second owner) GYPSY (wide track as in King body) 65k km brand new 4 huge radials with stereo in bangalore in 2003 for 1.65 lakh (am i smart or what)
Old 26th April 2005, 19:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Didn't know Gypsy came with A/C...
Old 26th April 2005, 20:28   #12
BHPian

aa , gypsy; used to own one long back like 10 years when I was in college. Very harsh ride, drinks gas, rides smooth only when u have 10 guys at the back or ride with a 200 kg bag . Your back will hurt like ouch ouch at every bump. Still a great fan of it; engine is real smooth. Dont go for acessories unless hard top. Do keep in mind that your face will be dusty all times. Real hard to maintain inside if soft top. Loved old days they wont be back; u still a kid then enjoy
Old 26th April 2005, 20:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

Just a note. I have seen that in USA people who use pickup trucks for everyday commute always have some 200-300lb weight on the backside to settle it down.
Old 27th March 2006, 22:06   #14
BHPian

Still would say its a great suv to have.I LOVE IT
Old 27th March 2006, 22:46   #15
BHPian

Call me old-fashioned if you like, the Gypsy will always be special for me. Even today, nothing comes close to an open-top Gypsy with a good set of alloys-tyres and a mellow exhaust note. I would love to own one anyday and in all probability, I will .
S@~+#0$# is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed