Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 01:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Not related to Gypsy, but Maruti continued selling carb M800s till 2004. Euro-II norms were mandated only in the metros after March 2000.

Hence its not entirely true to assume that every Gypsy manufactured after March 2000 is MPFI.

Checkout this link-Click to open. It has mentioms of a 2001 Gypsy King which looks like a carb to me.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 15th April 2016 at 01:16.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 00:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

Great inputs here though a decade old. Thanks for all your contribution. I have the chance to own a Gypsy King recently, it's a Army disposed one and in a pretty decent condition to be honest it is in a great shape and would like to know what are the things to be checked, fixed changed once I have the vehicle.

I have no clue what so ever on her. I am aware brakes, wheel hubs needs overhauling, check clutch plate, wiring, essentials like oils, filters etc. What else beyond this.

Any sources for genuine parts in south, I am from Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi folks,

Great inputs here though a decade old. Thanks for all your contribution. I have the chance to own a Gypsy King recently, it's a Army disposed one and in a pretty decent condition to be honest it is in a great shape and would like to know what are the things to be checked, fixed changed once I have the vehicle.

I have no clue what so ever on her. I am aware brakes, wheel hubs needs overhauling, check clutch plate, wiring, essentials like oils, filters etc. What else beyond this.

Any sources for genuine parts in south, I am from Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on your new acquisition and welcome to the Gypsy club!! Take her to a good FNG and get her checked inside out - MASS is not capable of anything more than oil/filter changes for a Gypsy.

As for the parts, most are available online on boodmo.com

All the best

Last edited by cool_dube : 3rd March 2019 at 12:44.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 08:48   #94

Hi ! I am new to the forum and I was hoping the experts here could let me know where to do an engine swap for my 96 MG410W in chennai? Can I source the 413 GB MPFI / carb in Chennai along with the 5+1 GB? Appreciate the help

Admin: My apologies if I have used the wrong thread, I'm still a novice at navigating this site, kindly redirect me to the correct thread if I have strayed.

Thank you
Geoff.
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:36   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyF View Post
Hi ! I am new to the forum and I was hoping the experts here could let me know where to do an engine swap for my 96 MG410W in chennai? Can I source the 413 GB MPFI / carb in Chennai along with the 5+1 GB?
Geoff.
Hi,
Everything is available in the market, you would be needing engine, ECM, wiring and GB. If you are going by this route better put Baleno (original ones not the new ones) 1.6 engine, its worth the investment.
For this entire modification, i would highly recommend Arka who is encyclopedia in offroad vehicles and modification and a member of T-BHP as well.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 07:03   #96

Thank you Subhendra! I had intentions of going the Baleno way, you've just helped confirm my decision.
Old 7th August 2020, 19:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Subhendra! I had intentions of going the Baleno way, you've just helped confirm my decision.
Any update on your Engine Gear Box swap for your gypsy?

Would love to go through your journey; challenges, roadblocks and outcome.

Please do share
azm@bpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 09:42   #98

Hi Azm,

Actually yes, I did manage to procure a 1.3 MPFI and 5+1 Gearbox from a guy in Bengaluru in Jan this year, but then I could not find a decent mechanic in Chennai, it was either people who didn't not know zilch about working on Gypsies or it was someone claiming to know everything about them and quoting fantastic amounts!

As luck would have it, I managed to find an old school school Mechanic who has a passion for the Gypsy himself and he knows his way about the vehicle blindfolded. Very reasonable and a pleasant personality. To start with he said do not change the old 1.0 engine, he did a 'half engine' service, rings, valves etc and a carb tune up, he also mated the 5+1 GB to the 1 litre engine, car runs like a dream, with the much needed freedom of the overdrive gear. I will be installing the 1.3 engine next month though as I would like to install an AC and power steering and the peppy little 1.0 just wont take the load.

I also got the entire floor replaced, a quick paint job on the hard toop, replaced the hinges, CD points, did a anti rust / rubber coat for the underbody, serviced both the differentials and did a small cosmetic change to the front grille. ( Cant help a bit of vanity). have procured a set of Aisin free wheel hubs through my mechanic hich are currently being serviced and like all old girlfriends, my gypsy is still a work in progress, too much is never enough i guess when it comes to the Gypsy.

Will update once I've done the engine swap and AC. Unfortunately COVID and WFH has made me a slave to the grind, with no time for anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20200811wa0016.jpg  

Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20200811wa0019.jpg  

Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20200811wa0020.jpg  

Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20200811wa0022.jpg  

GeoffreyF is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 00:57   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Azm,

he also mated the 5+1 GB to the 1 litre engine, car runs like a dream, with the much needed freedom of the overdrive gear. I will be installing the 1.3 engine next month though as I would like to install an AC and power steering and the peppy little 1.0 just wont take the load.
Can you post pictures of the 1 liter engine and the gearbox mating location, did he use a adapter plate. Did he relocate the engine mounts.
Old 16th August 2020, 11:04   #100
BHPian

Dear GeoffreyF

Thanks for a detailed update. Must say your Gypsy is a total stunner. Very well maintained. How was your experience with the "half engine" job? Would love to know about cars performance, fuel efficiency and your overall satisfaction level.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:21   #101

Since I already had a 5 speed GB which I procured along with the 1.3 engine, the 5 speed gears were moved to the 4 speed GB casing, no adapter plate etc. quite an inexpensive method and no hassles of modification.

Thank you for the compliment azm! you can call me Geoff. Its only a temporary solution, though I do not intend getting rid of the original 1.0 engine and 4 speed GB, the 1 liter lacks power and like I mentioned will not support the addition of an AC. But that aside, low / mid range power has returned after the 'half engine ' job, reduced the main jet to 95, not for mileage but due to the carb getting 'rich', now does not need the choke for cold starts, and the top speed has improved too. overall quite satisfied for now, but cant wait for the 1.3 engine to be installed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks