Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 19:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Since the past few months I have been facing a situation. There is a "THUD" noise with a "BASS" effect coming from the rear of the Jeep....
Finally, got some time off to address this issue - while doing some work ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
...we we used to just ignore the backlash.
Really, I tried to do it for the last 3 odd months... since the whole thing is opened up now, decided to address it.

Quote:
"Removing" backlash (tail crown freeplay) is one thing. Maintaining proper contact patches is something else again, and in my experience, most mechs don't know anything about it.
I agree... Lets see how long the whole setup holds good.

Quote:
If you plan to do it, take a day off work, and arm yourself with some engineers blue...
Thursday is the day for that... hoping to understand what I heard over the phone from the mech --- Quote-"The spider gears were loose (?), tightened them with shims, washers... no noise now" I told him dont worry a lot about spider gears, I wont be needing them in near future.

Last edited by svsantosh : 5th May 2010 at 19:49.
Old 7th May 2010, 22:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Ffra.............!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad to say I got the FFRA on my CJ340. Few pics of the same.

1990 M&M Cj340-left.jpg

Notice there is a bolt sticking out on the right side. Mech told me to tighten it once I get back home OR (use a spacer loose nut to fill the gap..!!), but when I touched it with the spanner it just went inside along with the axle. This nut is attached to the axle (rod), and I could feel it move freely - something wrong, will visit him asap tommorow to learn more.

1990 M&M Cj340-right.jpg

------
Also, got a much needed pintle hook for 600Rs.

1990 M&M Cj340-pintle-hook.jpg

-------------

QUESTION for the gurus

What is the below part?

1990 M&M Cj340-07052010183.jpg

This was found broken into 2 - mech told me this part is near/inside the spider gear (diff) setup.

1990 M&M Cj340-07052010186.jpg

Even more interesting learning - Mech told me this part is NOT NEEDED in a FFRA setup. I could not understand why...!!!

1990 M&M Cj340-07052010187.jpg

But the jeep drove beautifully for its maiden 30Km drive after the FFRA conv. The pinion backlash - or so it seemed - is no longer present. There is no BANG-THUD noise in stop-go situations.

If only I could learn what this broken part meant? And why is it not needed?
Old 7th May 2010, 23:25   #123
Senior - BHPian

Santosh, do you have LSD/Lockers installed in your axle. The part in picture resembles a Thrust Block designed to take thrust loads from the side gears. Some axle manufacturers use thrust washers instead of thrust blocks. Attaching a picture for this.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-1.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 23:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

1st to answer you - no, I believe I have the OE open-diff till date. I plan to fit locker in the near future.

The above pic makes sense of what Raju-Mech was trying to say - this was not needed in the 1st place. But confuses me on another aspect - he said in a FFRA, the axle is a wee bit longer and this thrust washer/block will foul with the axle and hence not needed.

I am going for a second opinion with my other mech to see what he has to say - meanwhile guys - please educate me more...
Old 8th May 2010, 00:11   #125
Team-BHP Support

Interesting stuff, so this is what your jeep was upto. I had seen it in the afternoon and thought it was a FFRA from earlier days. So what all was required to make the change, and how did you procure the stuff?
Old 8th May 2010, 00:24   #126
Senior - BHPian

^^ 5K and lot of prayers to the one above and lot of hope on Raju to get it right - was all that was needed

I did some research last month in shivaji nagar gujri and found all but the main part for the FFRA Mod. For 3K one can get a pair of spindles, pair of hubs, pair of flanges, and a pair of the 'special' axles (for the 48" track). But problem was finding the right 4-feet axles - Raju knew more than me (of course), and I let him do it...

One more aspect I got confused was - my hosur mech told me that both brake drum and brake carrier plate needs to be changed. This was not part of the 3K deal offered. But Raju convinced me that only brake drum needs to be changed to the commander/marshal type - the brake carrier plate remains the same. By now - I was as confused as you are - so paid 5K to Raju and told him to take it over.

End of the day (process steps are) - My (SFRA) brake drum (which looks very different from a FFRA), SFRA Axle = are traded in to the gujri guy - and the rest of the above 3K items are brought in to be fixed in my jeep. NOTE - 2 more new bearings are needed to be bought. Overall 3500 for parts and 1500 for labor.

Of course - a few mandatory repeat visits to mech are needed in any jeep work
Old 8th May 2010, 00:27   #127
Team-BHP Support

Wok thanks, this one i have in my list.

So isn't there anyway to procure brand new parts for the same?
Old 8th May 2010, 00:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So isn't there anyway to procure brand new parts for the same?
I am pretty sure that the (Pair of) spindle + flange + hub + brake drum can be procured OE from India Garage (10K-15K for parts at least). BUT the un-equal pair of 4" axles are crazy!! Even Raju messed it up on thursday - went back to sivaji ngr to get a new right-side (shorter one) axle... These are not available anymore and I am actually planning to get a additional pair just in case - paranoid me!!
Old 10th May 2010, 10:33   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the below part?

Attachment 344585

This was found broken into 2 - mech told me this part is near/inside the spider gear (diff) setup.

Attachment 344586

Even more interesting learning - Mech told me this part is NOT NEEDED in a FFRA setup. I could not understand why...!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Santosh, do you have LSD/Lockers installed in your axle. The part in picture resembles a Thrust Block designed to take thrust loads from the side gears. Some axle manufacturers use thrust washers instead of thrust blocks. Attaching a picture for this.
Hi Santosh,

The Thrust Block is normally eliminated in the FFRA setup, because, it does not allow the 2 Piece SFRA Axles to seat in the Side Gears and the Axle Sticks out.

Regards,

Arka
Old 10th May 2010, 11:27   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Thrust Block is normally eliminated in the FFRA setup, because, it does not allow the 2 Piece SFRA Axles to seat in the Side Gears and the Axle Sticks out.
Thanks a lot Arka. I learnt today M&M was the 1st and only company to use a FFRA in this way (axle not welded/attached to the outer flange)

Any inputs on the nut sticking out of the cover plate? Should I put some 'loose' nuts (did mech mean Jam Nuts?) to hold it out, or should I tighten it in? As of now, it is IN - when I touched it with a spanner - it just popped in, i didnt even tighten it. I am sure it will pop right out later.

Please advise w.r.t to locker installation - how should I position the jam nut?
Old 10th May 2010, 13:49   #131
Senior - BHPian

Non-Hardened

Quote:
Thanks a lot Arka. I learnt today M&M was the 1st and only company to use a FFRA in this way (axle not welded/attached to the outer flange)

Any inputs on the nut sticking out of the cover plate? Should I put some 'loose' nuts (did mech mean Jam Nuts?) to hold it out, or should I tighten it in? As of now, it is IN - when I touched it with a spanner - it just popped in, i didnt even tighten it. I am sure it will pop right out later.

Please advise w.r.t to locker installation - how should I position the jam nut?
Hi Santosh,

These are non-hardened axles, the Lockers will destroy these axles.

I have had LSDs damaging these axles.

The Nut on the Flange Cover is the Axle Check Nut. It is bolted on to the Axle to prevent it from shuttling.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Suresh Stephen also had axle failure with this type FFRA. He later got Hardened Axles.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:25   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arka,

One question comes up then - Are the stock SFRA axles - Hardened or Non-Hardened?

I have a case of one SFRA 540 in bangalore with lockers and 1 very-twsited axle. Another 540 with locker is praying that doesnt happen. I am 3rd who is yet to fit them...

Arka - UBS'ji offered to make a pair of FFRA axles from FC(?) axles. Would they be hardened ones? I will also check with him to read this page and comment.

Thanks
Santosh
Old 10th May 2010, 16:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
These are non-hardened axles, the Lockers will destroy these axles.
PS - Suresh Stephen also had axle failure with this type FFRA. He later got Hardened Axles.
Quote:
Hi Arka,
One question comes up then - Are the stock SFRA axles - Hardened or Non-Hardened?
Can anyone elaborate, what hardening is being referred here?

Spike
Old 10th May 2010, 21:15   #134
Team-BHP Support

Finally we have the reply and welcome back sirji. Santhosh was pestering lot of people to get you out from hiding

ps: We need to meet soon!
Old 10th May 2010, 21:30   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Finally we have the reply and welcome back sirji. Santhosh was pestering lot of people to get you out from hiding

ps: We need to meet soon!
OK saw your jeep today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks