Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 12:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Santosh, I was talking about the square lights, don't know about the grill. The new picture you posted says Bahia, that was the Italian company that sold CJ340 in Italy with fiber dash and fiber hardtop. Eventually that dashboard came to be on the Classic.
- yes Sharath, I jumped the gun thinking you were wondering about the grill. Anyways to reconfirm its a well fabricated one with provision for Maruti 800 rectangle sealed beam.

-- thanks for letting me know that the Major Harness will fit in this. Do you know how much one will cost? just FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Also please share the cost part like how much did you pay for it, cost of expenses for repairs etc as it helps others learn from our experiences
Yes Harjeev - another 2 weeks i will share the cost of purchase and cost of repair part. Dont mind plz
Old 11th August 2009, 14:35   #17
BHPian

Hi Santosh,

Congrats on your acquisition. Restoring a JEEP takes a lot of patience, time and money. I learned it the hard way, I would suggest you to get the JEEP mechanically done first. You can drive it for sometime and then think about body work, painting etc.

The Grill looks unique but, my suggestion would always be to get back to the original grill which has a character. The doors are an aftermarket job, I had similar ones on my JEEP when I brought it. You can make it out by the gaudy fitment circled in the picture.

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01704.jpg

All the best for your restoration.
Old 11th August 2009, 16:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sabareesh, I agree with you. But as you said money' - even to remove the doors and bring back the original curve i need to spend on tinkering guy and of course pay for the new grill. So for time being - nothing other than mechanical work. Next year may be...
Old 11th August 2009, 19:33   #19
BHPian

HI SANTOSH,

Nice and unique jeep, keep that nicely done grille,
Old 11th August 2009, 19:43   #20
Sha
BHPian

Congrats Santosh for lovely Jeep, We just met before I left to Somverpet OTR.
Old 11th August 2009, 21:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
HI SANTOSH,

Nice and unique jeep, keep that nicely done grille,
yes vijay avare - thanks a lot for accomodating me the other day and showing me your 550. I will catch up once this jeep lands in blore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Congrats Santosh for lovely Jeep, We just met before I left to Somverpet OTR.
Oh yes, hope you guys had a blast. I will catch up once i get it in to blore.
Old 12th August 2009, 21:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Operation Started

Siva just sent in these pics from operation theater. Effort on to bring the Jeep back to Road worthy condition and beyond it...
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-image006.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-image007.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-image008.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-image009.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-image010.jpg  

Old 13th August 2009, 08:42   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - First of all, the CJ340 was sold under the names BAHIA and BUSHRANGER in overseas markets. The England vehicle was RHD and the France vehicle was LHD. The BOM code of the England vehicle was JP441J24R and for the France vehicle was JP441J24L. J means CJ, P means XDP4.90 engine, 4 means 4 speed transmission, 4 means 4 wheel drive, 1 means 80 inch wheelbase, I have forgotten what the second J means but I will ask my colleague Aziz Somani, he will remember, so I will tell you, 24 was the code for Europe, R means RHD, L means LHD. By the way, the BOM code for the domestic CJ340 which many of you have is just JP441J without the 24L or 24R. My colleague Murlidhar Garware was controlling all the BOMs. In France there is a rule that the headlights must be at least 600 mm apart. In the round headlight normal CJ340, it is less than 600 mm width, therefore FRP grille and bonnet were developed especially for France only.

Dear SVSantosh - your car seems to be locally modified for the rectangular headlights. It is a badly done job so please revert to the original round headlights but only after you have completed all the mechanicals. I can see only 2 things to be done immediately. As the transmission is out of the car, check the bell housing for damaged threading as you have shown that the interface bolt is missing. Also replace the engine mountings. Please leave the injector alone for the timebeing. Let's see how the engine works. The next thing to do is to service the car and check / replace all lubricants. Please spend 1 day on this. Even the radiator can be done after finding out the cooling system behaviour. Just don't spend money just for the heak of it. Please continue to give information. I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2009, 08:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear SVSantosh - your car seems to be locally modified for the rectangular headlights. It is a badly done job so please revert to the original round headlights but only after you have completed all the mechanicals. I can see only 2 things to be done immediately. As the transmission is out of the car, check the bell housing for damaged threading as you have shown that the interface bolt is missing. Also replace the engine mountings. Please leave the injector alone for the timebeing. Let's see how the engine works. The next thing to do is to service the car and check / replace all lubricants. Please spend 1 day on this. Even the radiator can be done after finding out the cooling system behaviour. Just don't spend money just for the heak of it. Please continue to give information. I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Respected Behram Sir,

1) Yes, mechanicals 1st. Mounting, lubricants to be done.
2) You are spot on - due to extreme abuse the entire bell housing was JUST held by 2 bolts. Of the 5, only 2.!! AND 1 of the missing 3, was half broken and lodged into the engine case. Havent seen more abuse than this...!! This is also being addressed. Needs a Lathe job.
3) Due to (2) & Bad engine mount - couple of gearbox bearings are worn out and needs replacement, 1 Transfer case bearing also worn out - Replacement needed.

4) Clutch release bearing needs replacement.

5) Engine overheating - so thought of replacement of radiator . Behram Sir - Do you suggest to leave the radiator alone? Its a incorrect one - one from FJ van and without a cowl. - EDIT - Siva confirmed the Radiator needs a overhaul itself. Full of rust and many blockages...!! So thought of upgrading.

6) Siva - Trammway (Red Classic) has confirmed engine is in top condition.

--------
PS - I am in bangalore. Jeep is in Siva's care in Chennai. Over the phone and internet updates daily...

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th August 2009 at 08:59.
Old 13th August 2009, 09:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Respected Behram Sir,

1) Yes, mechanicals 1st. Mounting, lubricants to be done.
2) You are spot on - due to extreme abuse the entire bell housing was JUST held by 2 bolts. Of the 5, only 2.!! AND 1 of the missing 3, was half broken and lodged into the engine case. Havent seen more abuse than this...!! This is also being addressed. Needs a Lathe job.
3) Due to (2) & Bad engine mount - couple of gearbox bearings are worn out and needs replacement, 1 Transfer case bearing also worn out - Replacement needed.

4) Clutch release bearing needs replacement.

5) Engine overheating - so thought of replacement of radiator . Behram Sir - Do you suggest to leave the radiator alone? Its a incorrect one - one from FJ van and without a cowl. - EDIT - Siva confirmed the Radiator needs a overhaul itself. Full of rust and many blockages...!! So thought of upgrading.

6) Siva - Trammway (Red Classic) has confirmed engine is in top condition.

--------
PS - I am in bangalore. Jeep is in Siva's care in Chennai. Over the phone and internet updates daily...

Santhosh, The engine is not overheating as I told you earlier 80 is a normal temperature. However the radiator fin damages and few cores blocked with solder, I suggested to replace. Also the radiator seems to be from FC vehicle altered to have the water mouth on the center of the radiator. Another reason for getting the radiator change is to go for 4 core replacement.

Since the current radiator top water tank is little wider, the standard cowl may required alternation to seat.

The engine sounds good other than the leaking injector body, no noise of slap, tappet or pump nozzle. The engine is showing only its age factor which is normal. Regular lubrication change will make the engine run for additional thousands of kilometer smooth run.

The current plan of mechanical works as per priority order

1. All gaskets & Oil seals in Gearbox and Engine sump will be replaced due to bad leaking.

2. Clutch release bearing will be replaced as excessive noise is visible.

3. Top gear bearing will be changed, no problem in shifting gears extra. But not opened the gearbox yet so can't comment on the internals. Currently the issue is that the 4L is not engaging.

4. Engine will be removed and the broken bolt from engine block will be grinded off in a lathe workshop and replaced with all the screw bolts from TVS for the bell housing.

5. Break needs greater attention as it is very tight and low breaking is happening. So, re-surfacing to next oversize and with TVS break liners will be placed. While doing this operation the mechanic will check the complete break tubes and cylinders for issues.

6. All the extra lights and unwanted fittings will be removed and if required original wheel arches will be placed on front and rear mudguards.

7. Lubrication for Gearbox, Differntials and Engine will be changed to SAE140, SAE90 and 15W40 respectively.

8. Side view mirrors will be fabricated and mounted to its actual place.

9. Nozzle body change after the engine goes into its bay and checking the totallity of the Jeep condition.

10. Attention to all the electrical components will be given and few replacement of lights will go on as front and tail light assy are already broken stage.

11. Suspension work - (Let us see after completing the above work, As of now I could see there is no action in the shackle but absolutely no steering wobble etc.)

PS: I'm still sticking on to my view about keeping the square grill intact because it gives an uniqueness to your Jeep but bonnet scoop could be worked out.

Last edited by trammway : 13th August 2009 at 09:29.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:22   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh / trammway - PLEASE DO NOT MACHINE THE BRAKE DRUMS ON ANY LATHE. YOU WILL RUIN THE BRAKE SYSTEM COMPLETELY. Just overhaul the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Use old liners only, if they are OE (original equipment), they will work. I repeat - NO BRAKE DRUM MACHINING.

Best rega
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2009, 21:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Santosh / trammway - PLEASE DO NOT MACHINE THE BRAKE DRUMS ON ANY LATHE. YOU WILL RUIN THE BRAKE SYSTEM COMPLETELY. Just overhaul the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Use old liners only, if they are OE (original equipment), they will work. I repeat - NO BRAKE DRUM MACHINING.

Best rega
Dear Behram Sir,

It turns out the front drums need replacement and rear needs overhauling. Will do the same along with pads and cylinders if needed.

Sorry for late reply since 1 more jeep is ahead in the assembly line (garage's repair line).

thanks
San
Old 20th August 2009, 10:47   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on getting yourself a SWB Jeep, Svsantosh. Looks like a great project vehicle, hope you got her at a good price. You are on the right track. First refurbish her mechanically, and then get to the aesthetics. As I've stated in other threads, a Jeep project is really never over. You will always be tinkering on weekends, finding & repairing the weakest links and looking forward to that next mod. That's the beauty of owning a Jeep (though it can get frustrating at times too ).

With all the offroad action happening in Bangalore, good times ahead for you! Drive safe.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:26   #29
Sha
BHPian

Offtopic two days back I was watching tamil movie and it had the same Jeep with front grill and square light and i guess you bought that one.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Offtopic two days back I was watching tamil movie and it had the same Jeep with front grill and square light and i guess you bought that one.

name please. I am not a great fan of movies. (Siva is another bigger Non Fan). Butt - this is interesting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks