Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 12:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
the strong point of the Thar is the looks.
The strong points of the Thar are NGCS, frugal engine, better cruising speeds and of course off roading capabilities.
Old 19th November 2009, 14:08   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear offroad maniac - You said "road ends, journey begins". You are so correct.

In life, many "end of road" situations come our way but that's where the beauty of 4 wheel drive surpasses anything the terrain (read - life) can throw at you. We have a secret weapon (read - low ratio transfer case) that no 2 wheel drive can ever hope to get, you know. We 4 wheel drive guys are a little nuts and we just don't stop when we are confronted with a situation where the road has "so-called" ended. In fact we enjoy only when the road is made to end. Once our off road journey begins, it ends only when we see tarmac once again, just so that we can start going off road all over again.

But "normal mortals" would never understand this, would they?

4 WHEEL DRIVE - ZINDABAD!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st November 2009, 19:18   #108
BHPian

Dear Sir,

Thanks for thr post. thats why we are seen by other 'Normal' beings as some crazy group of maniacs doing some silly stuffs with their 4 wheels. But posts on Team-BHP has proved that its not stupidness, but the passion & love that only few are blessed with.

So please. India needs a proper 'Made In India' for Indians by Indians offroading machine like Thar.

Happy & Safe Offroading.

(Sadly I am yet to join... no wheels :( )

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 21st November 2009 at 19:19.
Old 21st November 2009, 22:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
One thing, when the vehicle is going through a technological evolution in the NG, engine why not the entire chassis and suspension that is far superior to the existing 540/ 550 chassis?
Another, the crde engine compatibility factor.
The Scorpio chasis may be superior, but Army NGCS are more durable as they are made with thicker siderails ( I think 3mm Thick) which are crucial during some serious Offroading & I am not sure but the Scorpio chasis is not as thick as Army NGCS. Hence I asked that question in my above post.

Below I have attached few pics from different threads which shows Army NGCS & Scorpio chasis

1. Army chassis looks intact in a badly damaged Army MM550 (Post # 22)
2. Scorpio Chassis looks like two C-Sections welded together (Atleast @ the front .. may be to absorb impact?) Post# 72 Last Scorpio pic

Correct me if iam wrong .

NOTE: Pls go through links. Not able to upload the files, will attach them later

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 21st November 2009 at 22:54.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:08   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear offroad maniac - what makes you think that "thicker siderails" are better? What you need is correct section modulus with good design factor of safety. Incorrect / excessive use of material will change torsional rigidity which can adversely affect R&H (ride and handling) characteristics. Some dimensions of the vehicle are best left alone.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt. I'm not too much into off roading and the like, but it seems that this vehicle is going to be in the classic jeep image.

Does this mean it will have the classic 7 slat grille ?
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:13   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear offroad maniac - what makes you think that "thicker siderails" are better? What you need is correct section modulus with good design factor of safety. Incorrect / excessive use of material will change torsional rigidity which can adversely affect R&H (ride and handling) characteristics. Some dimensions of the vehicle are best left alone.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sorry Sir,

I was just thinking in that way like when it comes to offroading, ..thicker chassis is better. Thats why it was hard for me to accept/ understand this change( Certainly was not criticising ). Forgot the safety parts like front impact crumple zones & suspension settings for better improvised onroad handling.

Waiting eagerly for an update from you sir. Give us some more testing pics or possible launch date hint.

Some specs like LSD's , or may be optional lockers etc...
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

guys i know we have a very tall list of expectations and wish list of equipment we want MM to provide us as we are 4x4 enthusiasts!

but, let me say again> but we all know MM to disappoint us to the last nut and bolt!

so lets keep our expectations to the bare minimum and a good pocketable price we all can buy and afford.
Old 24th November 2009, 00:10   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
i know somewhat about sectional modulus, when YA 3238 was being done up.

courtesy: Not saying

Last edited by kavesh55 : 24th November 2009 at 00:12. Reason: one word to be added
Old 24th November 2009, 10:17   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
i know somewhat about sectional modulus, when YA 3238 was being done up.

courtesy: Not saying
I completely fail to understand your post.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:50   #116
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting for this to be launched, definitely booking it. Tired of commuting in my Ford Ikon. I need some muscle to go with my 6'3" frame!!
Old 26th November 2009, 21:44   #117
Senior - BHPian

Few observations of this test mule:-
1. The rear axle looks like it is a semi floating type (refer last three pics),any idea which type of axle will suit for this kind of application (offroading and highway use) ?
2. The vehicle looks drooping at the front (see the less clearance between the front fender extensions and the wheel, and the large clearance between rear wheel and the wheel wells). Also, is this a 15 inch or a 16 inch wheel. I think a 16 inch wheel will look better on this vehicle.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:48   #118
BHPian

Hmm... so the Thar maybe launched in India? But I don't think it would be priced cheap (about 5L OTR for the base no-frills version), especially considering that it has the NGCS and CRDe engine.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few observations of this test mule:-
1. The rear axle looks like it is a semi floating type (refer last three pics),any idea which type of axle will suit for this kind of application (offroading and highway use) ?
2. The vehicle looks drooping at the front (see the less clearance between the front fender extensions and the wheel, and the large clearance between rear wheel and the wheel wells). Also, is this a 15 inch or a 16 inch wheel. I think a 16 inch wheel will look better on this vehicle
Spike,
This is 16 inch wheel rim from Scorpio. Scorpio's semi floating axles are more than enough for the purpose. Thar has front IFS and hence seems lower compared to a leaf sprung 540
Old 30th November 2009, 13:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Thar has front IFS and hence seems lower compared to a leaf sprung 540
front IFS from the scorpio eh? that puts SPOA out of the window.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks