Team-BHP - YetiBlog® - My Land Rover Discovery
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   YetiBlog® - My Land Rover Discovery (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/71627-yetiblog-my-land-rover-discovery-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1634744)
You read correctly. I was gifted a Land Rover Discovery.

Wow, that's amazing! I think you ought to continue the tradition and gift it to one of us. :D

Can't wait to hear more tomorrow.

WHAT??? (Jaw dropped!!!) Gifted a Land Rover!!!
Man, that is one serious dream to realise.
Congrats Sam, and hats off to the donor, I'm sure he'll be pleased with the choice of the recipient.
More pics please.

you were gifted a LR?? damn my friends. :deadhorse
on a serious note you write so beautifully that if i had a spare LR ( i so wish) i would have gifted it to you.(yeah right)

PS: if you ever feel like gifting it to someone, i am always here.

BTW please tell me it was a dear friend who gifted you the car and not a stranger who thought "lets give this funny looking man whatever he wants". He looks scary. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshaymahajan (Post 1634777)

you were gifted a LR?? damn my friends.

BTW please tell me it was a dear friend who gifted you the car and not a stranger who thought "lets give this funny looking man whatever he wants".

Believe it or not akshay, it was not a gift from a friend. It was indeed a stranger who gifted me the Land Rover.

He is not a stranger today, but does not live in India anymore so we cannot continue what may have been a possible friendship. We are in touch though, but not much.

And no I'm not putting you on. Nor is this some joke. Neither is this a car that is borrowed and I'm taking care of for someone.

This car was a gift to me and has been registered officially to me and everything. The support team and distinguished BHPians and a few friends who have been with me through this whole story behind the scenes will agree and are probably nodding as they read this.

Dreams do come true. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1634796)
Believe it or not akshay, it was not a gift from a friend. It was indeed a stranger who gifted me the Land Rover.

:)

You should have seen his happiness upon receiving a new clutch plate for his Landy.- I think people have immortalised his happiness upon receiving the new clutch for his landy !

& I am not kidding. Seriously.
Imagine, Sam who is not into "engine-vengine" is jumping with joy upon receiving a clutch.

Now was it in a tbhpian's wedding we were discussing some nice clutches ?
:uncontrol

Quote:

And that's why I always say in all my YetiBlogs, hold on to that dream because you never know. You really never know.

Congratulations!

Quote:

Next: What I did with my Land Rover and what I do with it everyday. (next update tomorrow)
Tomorrow! That's cruel. What do I do till then?

Quote:

Hi Sam, Now i start to wonder, "I wish, I was that big, funny looking chap..!!!"

Belated Congratulations on realizing the dream.

Quote:

SHUCKS!! You serious??
Sam, you are seriously one lucky guy!
Cheers and enjoy your Landie!
Deepak

Quote:

He is not a stranger today, but does not live in India anymore so we cannot continue what may have been a possible friendship. We are in touch though, but not much.Dreams do come true. :)

Hello Sam
I believe you. Back in the early 80's there was this German guy who came touring with a Carne permit, into India, on a early 70's BMW R75 motorcycle. He was stuck at Juhu cos while cleaning the carbs, one idle jet fell and got lost. While his bile was parked there my friend who also had an older BMW was passing by, stopped, they got talking etc... and later with the help of another neighbour helped this guy get a jet machined. After his tour he told my my BMW friend "if you want this bike I will gift it to you." All he had to pay was the duty for it.
yep dreams do come true. Congrats!!!
regards
Nigel

Lucky you, for some folks Land Rover Discovery could only mean discovery of a Land Rover: Like this

YetiBlog® - My Land Rover Discovery-img_99501.jpg

All I want is a good home for her.

When I heard those words from the owner I knew the Landy was mine. I hadn't seen it yet, but I knew I was going to like what I saw.

I turned the corner and there it was.

Now please understand me. I'm not much of a car lover and I'm not very observant when it comes to these things. But blow me down, this was a HUGE car.

H-U-G-E!

It doesn't look big in photos, I thought it would be as big as a uhhh Sumo or Qualis or something. (I fear that I might now get slapped by an emotional Team-BHPian)

But no. This was a monster. Huge. High. Broad. Green. Sigh.

She's got new tyres that I put 6 months ago.

Wha? Those words broke me out of my reverie. That and Jenny holding my hand.

New tyres. he said pointing at the wheels proudly. She's got new tyres.

I smile, nod and look carefully at the tyres. They look new. It says Yokohama Geolander on the tyres.

Cool. I'm grinning like an idiot. Cool.

The car smells of damp seats and wet dust. There's a Blaupunkt head unit at a dangerous angle inside.
Doesn't work. He's looking at me examining the Land Rover.
I laugh. That's not really a problem.

The 2nd gear is iffy. He explains that it's got character and requires technique to slide it into 2nd gear. I look at him and grin. I've never had to use the word character with a car before.

Lesson 1: All old Land Rovers are temperamental and have tons of character.

She's the most reliable car I've ever had. I'd take it with me but my wife hates it. He shrugs.
Instinctively I turn towards Jenny. She's clasping her hands together and smiling. God she's such a typical woman. I laugh and point towards her.

Well, mine loves it.

He grins.

Well, I think you can have her. I don't see a problem with it. I'll sign over the car to you. Take care of her and send me pictures when you can. She needs some time, work and attention, but she's served me well. Honestly, I've never had a more reliable vehicle

We thank him and leave. As soon as we're outside the house Jenny starts jumping up and down with joy. I join her. Must have been quite a sight, one European girl and a big funny chap jumping up and down and squealing on the street.

We have a Land Rover!

Great Sam, Congrats on the buy.
I'm now GLUED, and my keyboard has only F5 active :D

Envy you Sam & Jenny!

And I am dreaming.....
Dreaming of a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S :D
Will someone wake up to my dream??

Congrats Sam, that's one special feeling realising a dream, that too for freeeeee !!

Need we say more... SAM we all are GLUED.. and Congrats... Would love to see / read this new Love story unfold.