Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 05:39   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

@gsferrari: Congrats on your buy. Looking forward to vehicle pics with un-stoppable grin on your face soon ;-)

Only mod I would stay away from is bull bar / crash guard. Re-consider.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:34   #47
BHPian

Hi Gurushankar,

Congratulation on you Brand new MG413 W MPFI !!.
relatively lots of guys going in for a New Gypsy, or is it just that I have started noticing them now.

Me too looking for a 4x4 like you were, but in a very slow phase & lot more confusion.
Many of them (including myself) consider buying the Gurkha but "DO NOT" for some reason or the other.
Have learn't YTD from Prashant (Kiviraj Yeshwanthpur Force Motor sales guy) that 2 Gurkha's are booked & one is about to be delivered in a couple of days.

I live in Bangalore too & love to see your NEW Gypsy delivered, please let me know when its about to come in & will try to be there.

Cheers
Sunil
Old 5th March 2010, 10:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
Hi Deepak,

My Dad is posted at a Cement Plant in M.P and he was provided with a Gypsy since 1989 (MG410, MG410W, MG413W & MG413W MPFI). I have myself experienced that the heater does work. In M.P the temperatures fall to 3 degrees during winters, the heater did used to work on all the Gypsys that were assigned to him. Funny it does not work for you.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Oh really? Ok, i will keep that temperature control knob in the red-zone and run it tomorrow morning for an hour and see, if it really works. Will keep you updated on the results Zorro. When i tried a week back, it din't work. Maybe other Gypsy owners could also check and confirm if the heater works or not. Thanks for this info Zorro.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 5th March 2010, 11:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Dont know how i missed this thread Congrats GS on your new Gypsy!!!! Better late than never..

Thats a pleasant surprise!!!

Will post on the issues later...have to get into a meeting now.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:45   #50
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Oh really? Ok, i will keep that temperature control knob in the red-zone and run it tomorrow morning for an hour and see, if it really works. Will keep you updated on the results Zorro. When i tried a week back, it din't work. Maybe other Gypsy owners could also check and confirm if the heater works or not. Thanks for this info Zorro.
Cheers,
Deepak
You keep ON for 1 day also the heater will never work I tried in many times.
I guess yours and mine heater does not work.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Search through threads here and you will find all sorts of info on Gypsy's -- ranging from off-roader to engine swaps to long distance cruiser. I see that you want to do long distance touring in this, so best is to take inputs from KSM-Vtec as he has gone to Laddakh in his Gypsy and he is from Mumbai. He had built a VERY nice gypsy in a very effective manner.
Wow..thats like a lifetime achievement award, receiving compliments from the Gypsy GURU who we all look up to. Thanks a lot Sir!!!

Quote:
Don't expect too much from that Hard-Top. Anybody can open the rear windows and my 4-month old Hard-Top already has cracks and the outer layer is peeling off!!
+1 Very true, infact in my opinion the HT also impacts the CoG of the car and hence the handling/cornering capabilities. And if you really want to have fun in Ladakh just forget about the top coming back without major cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I did 120 even 130 in my Gypsy recently and my Gypsy is all stock, not even a K&N filter, but you see the Scorpio is much more stable at these speeds compared to the gypsy.
You also guessed it right, Gypsy is very comfortable around speeds of 80-100 and even 110's above that I personally was not comfortable.

Go through Kaushiks thread, I do not think that 2 blowers is the answer
Very True, the optimum top speed for a Gypsy is 90kmph i would say, it gets uncomfortable from the safety pov after that. never the less the full dial(140) can be clocked in safe env. if required just for the heck of it.

Ya i have just one blower(SK) which is connected to my stock vents. I dont have a heater in my gypsy and we dint require it either. the heat from the engine bay was enough to keep us warm and comfortable during the Ladakh trip. Lets discuss this in detail later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
A stock gypsy easily can go 1000-1100 KM in about 16 hr with 90-100 speed, i have done it.
True, on my way back from Ladakh i got the opportunity to do a run from Katra to Udaipur, 1500kms single handed and non stop in my Gypsy. Believe me it was great fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Since you plan to do a lot of mods, why not also check out Khans list of mods regarding RockCrawler Gearset and Lockers. You can take Khanbhai's advise on it.
Well the Rockcrawler ratios will not be a good idea i guess since GS wants to do a lot of long distance trips on the highway.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 5th March 2010 at 12:34.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you plan to do a lot of mods, why not also check out Khans list of mods regarding RockCrawler Gearset and Lockers. You can take Khanbhai's advise on it.
I will take his advise if Diff-Locks will be needed for the Leh trip in september (doing P-Tso, Padum and Mar-La). Will also speak to KSM who has been to Leh with his Gypsy recently.

Quote:
If you see my thread, Tharakan had advised not use the stock vents for AC.Try to check with him for further advice.
Will check - can you tell me which page his post is on?

Quote:
GSferrari,

please have a look at the thread below for possible AC Issues after fitment from dealer. Alternatively ask Kaushik as he has fitted an AC and also faced issues.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...roblems-3.html
I checked the thread - now I am a tad worried. Will take KSM's advice before I purchase the kit from the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@gsferrari: Congrats on your buy. Only mod I would stay away from is bull bar / crash guard. Re-consider.
Thanks Dev - any particular reason why you don't recommend fitting the crash-guard? I tangle with Auto Rickshaws on a regular basis...would prefer some frontal protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisunil View Post
Congratulation on you Brand new MG413 W MPFI !!. relatively lots of guys going in for a New Gypsy, or is it just that I have started noticing them now.Many of them (including myself) consider buying the Gurkha but "DO NOT" for some reason or the other. Have learn't YTD from Prashant (Kiviraj Yeshwanthpur Force Motor sales guy) that 2 Gurkha's are booked & one is about to be delivered in a couple of days. I live in Bangalore too & love to see your NEW Gypsy delivered, please let me know when its about to come in & will try to be there.
Aren't you on Xbhp as well? Yes lots of new Gypsy bookings possibly in anticipation of the BS-IV. I didn't want to miss the party because of some government boffin.

Quote:
Ok, i will keep that temperature control knob in the red-zone and run it tomorrow morning for an hour and see, if it really works.
Awaiting your update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Dont know how i missed this thread Congrats GS on your new Gypsy!!!! Will post on the issues later...have to get into a meeting now.
Thanks Kaushik! Lets plan to meet for breakfast? I am riding to Carter road tomorrow morning (Crepestation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
You keep ON for 1 day also the heater will never work I tried in many times.I guess yours and mine heater does not work.
Thanks for the info Sha. Will await Starter's inputs as well and plan accordingly
Old 5th March 2010, 14:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

Aren't you on Xbhp as well? Yes lots of new Gypsy bookings possibly in anticipation of the BS-IV. I didn't want to miss the party because of some government boffin.
Yes Sir I am Xbhp too & adore your THOR i guess

Cheers
Sunil
Old 5th March 2010, 16:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

my reply in line below -

Quote:
Back on the topic of modifications:

Short Term Mods:
1. Dealer fitted A/C: Rs.46k (44k parts and 2k labor) - Very Exp. and i am not sure if you get a new sanden and superking anyways
2. Gear-Lock and Steering Lock: (yet to decide) - You better get one after that has happened with Shriku
3. Aftermarket Tires: Decided on BFG 215/75/15 - Yokos are better in my opinion. 60:40 highway, i think the BFG's will have more vibration due to the blocks
4. Headlight upgrade: 90/110 Philips Nightbreakers - Not required if you plan to put Hellas
5. Cover Bonnet Top Grille: Getting a stainless-steel plate with a map of the Leh-route etched into it - but how will you fix it?? it has to make the area water proof.
6. TeamBHP stickers: One on the rear, one on each side - copy cat
7. Relocate the rear number-plate or just get a sticker installed: Sorted - Ok
8. 3M sun-film: vCool seems easier to obtain. Will go for full transparent option to avoid ruining the looks of the vehicle
9. Decent stereo and front speakers: Have an old Pioneer mp3 stereo. Will buy bang-for-buck speakers and get an aux input. Install cig charger as well with USB - Not sure if you can get AUX USB, though its a must as the CD drive will not last long
10. Louder horns: The latest from Bosch/Roots - Good
11. Car alarm with GPS tracker: Yet to decide - Hmmm
12. Bull-bar - Yet to decide - Get one but dont mount the Aux lights on it.
13. Locking front hubs: Going for Aisin hub-locks. Need help sourcing them!!
14. Aftermarket Hella Lamps: To be purchased and mounted on bull-bar
15. Mini air-compressor: To be purchased and installed
16. Electric winch: Yet to decide if this is necessary - Dont think so, unless you intend to do some serious OTR
17. Insulation for Fuel-tank and pipes: In prep for Leh in september - Not required, if not done perfectly it can work against you.
18. Performance ECU from Race Dynamics with K&N intake and free-flow header and exhaust. Need this for those highway runs. - RD ECU not required in my opinion. FFE and K&N should help, but are you ok with the sound on all long highway trips??

Some questions:

1. Do the BFGs increase drag compared to equivalent Geolandars? - Geos are a better idea from what i have experienced
2. If I install the K&N I know it will improve breathing at higher altitudes with a remapped ECU. How will a free-flow exhaust affect performance at high-altitudes? - Filter and FFE will help at high alt. Not sure if the remapped ECU will work fine and adjust. You may need a second map with an AFR for high alt.
3. What is the lightest-weight option for the crash-guard? - Just make one
4. Which vendor do I go with for the security/SIM/GPS alarm system? - No clue

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 5th March 2010 at 16:57.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

I've also heard that the OEM spare wheel mount puts strain on the rear door frame. Is this true? Is it recommended to re-locate the wheel inside the cabin?

My Gypsy has been christened "Che" inspired by Che Guevara. I am pro anti-establishment and counter-cultural and so is the Gypsy. It is a stiff thumbs down to society's expectations of being driven around in a hatchback or saloon.

Che has left the building somewhere in New Delhi and is on his way to me. Should be here in 4-5 days after which registration, pdi and delivery will happen. I hope to have the keys on Gudi Padva which is an auspicious day for Maharashtrians. I am a bit superstitious now after my brother's car was stolen.

I have decided to put-off the AC fitment until I am able to understand what I am getting into a little better. Right now hearing conflicting experiences and this will also give me a chance to get to know the vehicle in stock-trim. First thing to go will be the tires followed by the seats. Everything else will come later.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've also heard that the OEM spare wheel mount puts strain on the rear door frame. Is this true? Is it recommended to re-locate the wheel inside the cabin?

I have decided to put-off the AC fitment until I am able to understand what I am getting into a little better. Right now hearing conflicting experiences and this will also give me a chance to get to know the vehicle in stock-trim. First thing to go will be the tires followed by the seats. Everything else will come later.
Yes it does. but making an extra "L" bracket for the mount and adding 2 extra hinges to the tail door solves the problem. Don't need to re-locate the wheel inside the cabin unless you don't intend to use the rear part of the gypsy for anything else.

The AC installation is not that much of a problem, lets discuss when we meet(but don't do a factory install, its not worth the price). But ya other major (non cosmetic) mods can wait for sure.

Ya tyres & seats are a must.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

i spoke with a MASS engineer at Vitesse andheri. He said they avoid doing a factory AC Setup on Gypsy as it has lot of issues. So much issues that if their prabhadevi workshop has made the installation and if you go to andheri with issues, they send to prabhadevi workshop as the installation was done over there.

I suggest you drop the idea of a factory fitment.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:46   #58
BHPian

There is an AC wala in bandra - Israr Bhai.. If you're interested, I can send you his number.
He installed an AC setup in my gypsy (without heater), but he's done a very neat job - you can take a look at the pics on the htread below, or just drop by my house, to check out the cooling as well..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-gypsy-5.html
Old 7th March 2010, 14:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
There is an AC wala in bandra - Israr Bhai.. If you're interested, I can send you his number.
He installed an AC setup in my gypsy (without heater), but he's done a very neat job - you can take a look at the pics on the htread below, or just drop by my house, to check out the cooling as well..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-gypsy-5.html

ya thats a great install i must say
Old 7th March 2010, 14:53   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Wow..thats like a lifetime achievement award, receiving compliments from the Gypsy GURU who we all look up to. Thanks a lot Sir!!!
KSM, from whatever I have read here, you seem to have modified your gypsy to a plan and the results have been good.

Also, I am no Gypsy expert. I am just another offroading enthusiast who happens to use a Gypsy for it and in the process I have learnt few things, which I am happy to share. Believe me, under the hood (engine area) I know almost nothing and feel very uneasy when people call me a gypsy expert/guru etc -- I think that's how false gods are created

Quote:
..Well the Rockcrawler ratios will not be a good idea i guess since GS wants to do a lot of long distance trips on the highway.
That is a misconception about rock crawlers. Infact it is the other way around as you will just love the new found cruising/accelerating capabilities of such a Gypsy. If you are here in Bangalore some time, drive my Gypsy to feel the difference and the impact rockcrawlers have on highway driving.

Quote:
I will take his advise if Diff-Locks will be needed for the Leh trip in september (doing P-Tso, Padum and Mar-La). Will also speak to KSM who has been to Leh with his Gypsy recently.
I think Vijay (swastikviji) is the best person to answer that as he now has lockers in his Gypsy and has done the Leh trip so can speak from first hand experience -- would he in hindsight feel that lockers would have made a difference.

Most Viewed