Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 11:05   #106
BANNED

Re: Which Indian Expedition Vehicle?

Adding some info here , check the dimensions & weight & output columns

I have a EBK 650 model thats good to fit in with a 5 door wagon & a 2400 model that will perhaps go in a larger truck or my Jeep trailer at max.

These make lot of noise unless a canopy made.

Portable-Gensets-Honda-Products.pdf

Sudarshan
Old 7th November 2013, 17:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Noise is a limitng factor but nothing that a few feet of distance wont mitigate. Moreover, out in the open it tends to be less than in confined environment. I have tested it out in the field and though I must admit it was not very loud but I had to switch it off once it got dark as nights can be deadly silent out there. I agree on a jeep platform dual battery is most practical but on a slightly longish wheelbase a genset would surely bring a sense of relief.
PS> There is a thread somewhere here where a member was building one on a TL, If I remember correctly. The rear compartment was a roll on roll of kind of thing.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th November 2013 at 17:51.
Old 7th November 2013, 17:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hey you genset fans

Makeup your minds quick, because I am going to come after you with some pics & figures , soon

I still say dual battery RULZ for a Jeep size vehicle.

Sudarshan
Theek hai sir, i have changed my mind now.
One question - What rating alternator you are using with your twin battery setup? are you using split charger?

Shubhendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Shubhendra,

Would we not be able to replace the standard alternator with a higher rating one to augment the charging for the secondary battery as well?
Yes, it has to be high rating alternator. and it depends on rating (amps) twin battery we would opt for.

Shubhendra

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2013 at 20:52. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " (MULTI-QUOTE) when quoting multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 7th November 2013, 17:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Yes, it has to be high rating alternator. and it depends on rating (amps) twin battery we would opt for.

Shubhendra
So would it be possible to find one higher rating alternator for Mahindra Vehicles?
Is there any prefix formula for an alternator in relation to Amps?
Old 7th November 2013, 20:46   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Theek hai sir, i have changed my mind now.
One question - What rating alternator you are using with your twin battery setup? are you using split charger?

Shubhendra
I hope you have gone through the PDF & compared the weight & dimensions of various gen-sets.

I am using 2 deep cycle batteries (90 amp hrs each) , but not in split charge system. They are connected in Parallel . So the amp capacity is doubled.

Why I am using it like that ? well in short I needed a better CCA (cold cranking amp) capacity as well as more reserve charge for sustained winch use. This turns out to be adequate so far, on various parameters.

I am using a 125 amp alternator & its Lucas, made in India, used on some Tata dicor variant.

Quote:

Shubhendra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
So would it be possible to find one higher rating alternator for Mahindra Vehicles?
Is there any prefix formula for an alternator in relation to Amps?
Split charge circuits can be imported.

About alternators; I believe that the current generation of vehicles are using 60 or 90 amp models frequently, so a 90 amp model which can be accommodated on your engine block will suffice . I dont think anything more is needed unless you want to do heavy day to day winching. What will be needed or what the real thing to look for is ; having a max Amp/Hr battery in as much compact compartment size. Thats what I would do or try to find.

Shubhendra, Please note that I had to alter the pulley to suit my engine & I have also made a DIY mounting bracket for it. it was not ready fit for Irene (Gaja was there when I welding it)

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 21:12   #111
BHPian

Re: Building an Expedition Vehicle

Hi,

Had been following this thread quite closely since I am also in the process of building a expedtion vehicle. I thought it would be nice to get your thoughts on the newly launched Xenon 3L 4wd version?

Best
R
Old 27th February 2014, 11:06   #112
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roja View Post
Hi,

Had been following this thread quite closely since I am also in the process of building a expedtion vehicle. I thought it would be nice to get your thoughts on the newly launched Xenon 3L 4wd version?

Best
R
I was wondering why nobody was asking about this. I think its definitely feasible but before building it into expedition, you'll need to first see if its possible to register as a personal vehicle without hassles in your local RTO.

I think it has the space, power and 4x4 capability that you'd look for in an expedition vehicle. I guess the 3.0 is a pretty reliable engine too!

Keep updating on what you find!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 16:33   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I was wondering why nobody was asking about this. I think its definitely feasible but before building it into expedition, you'll need to first see if its possible to register as a personal vehicle without hassles in your local RTO.

I think it has the space, power and 4x4 capability that you'd look for in an expedition vehicle. I guess the 3.0 is a pretty reliable engine too!

Keep updating on what you find!

Cheers,
Adi
Thank you Adi,

Apparently, it is possible to register as a private vehicle. That is what I heard from the dealer. Will certainly scope this out and share with you guys.

R
Old 28th February 2014, 10:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Apparently, it is possible to register as a private vehicle. That is what I heard from the dealer..
This has been confirmed in another thread (commercial vehicle section Xenon CC Launch) along with the process. Assuming with some hassle, it can be registered as a private vehicle, my concerns will be the size and ease of manoeuvre particularly in himalayan roads/no-roads.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 12:14   #115
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Adi,

Apparently, it is possible to register as a private vehicle. That is what I heard from the dealer. Will certainly scope this out and share with you guys.

R
Good luck Roja!

If you aren't following this site: http://expeditionportal.com/ you should start. Helps with both ideas for the vehicle and more importantly, the motivation to explore/travel in life

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 18:21   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
This has been confirmed in another thread (commercial vehicle section Xenon CC Launch) along with the process. Assuming with some hassle, it can be registered as a private vehicle, my concerns will be the size and ease of manoeuvre particularly in himalayan roads/no-roads.
Thanks Kandisa ... everything is possible in our country, with a little bit of "persuasion" I guess . You know the other thing that I have been reading in this post and also considering expedition or overlanding vehicles, is folks who are concerned about no road conditions with a vehicle like this: to be honest overlanding in India should not be really an issue, and for the no road conditions I guess we have our gypsies and other 4x4s? Even if one is doing across countries I doubt anyone would be exploring no road conditions. And yea, of course if one has the mind to go such places, the possibilities with vehicles such as modded LCs and Landrovers are immense I feel. Again I feel this is a personal decision as to what oen really wants to do or where he or she wants to go

The other thing that I have also read here, and I really want to get everyones thoughts on this one: how many of us will really do an overlanding trip across countries from India to the west for example. I mean with the cost of the Carnate and millions of issues of Indians getting across borders this turns out to be quite a costly affair. Hence I feel for a overlanding vehicle I feel some of our Indian brands are good enough. I guess, I am also looking at the possibility of exploring our own country first, then the South East Asian circuit, and then westwards. If that be the case I think again, shouldn"t our Indian brands do justice?

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.
Old 28th February 2014, 21:55   #117
BHPian

For an expedition a long wheel base is preferred, as it needs to haul stuff. Since the time this thread began, I sold my CJ3B, picked an Armada 4x4 and a Classic 4 x 4, nowhere close to the expedition vehicle. !

While used, LC's can be got for 10 -15 L, what is the reliability on a long distance tour? On the similar note, what is the reliability of a Storme / Scorpio ? Die hard fans of these can debate for hours, but we all know each has its own niggling issues. So what now ?

Present thought Used Fortuner 4x4 .. a 2 - 3 old with about 50 - 70K on the odo is available for 16 + which is vfm, compared to almost 30 OTR Bangalore. Newer machine, engine is good for at least 3L Kms. Toyota reliability, new age technology. What say folks?

On the other hand, Force motors claims that the Trax Toofan comes with a 4WD variant. Buy the base vehicle, throw in some creature comforts and with its bulletproof Merc engine it can take you places. Have seen vehicles from North esp. Rajasthan loaded with at least 15 + people and all their belongings on top (including a gas cylinder).. These are the true wanderers - taking the rough road, pitching camp & cooking anywhere.. using the restrooms of highway fuel pumps... Just love their spirit..

On one had we contemplate, build, accessorize (which we hardly use) vehicles .. On the other hand, there are those who just get into a vehicle and drive and take in whatever life throws at them...
RAINMAKER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:01   #118
Senior - BHPian

Expedition trucks are mainly built upon/around a double cabin 4WD pickup, few examples of Defender 110 and Discovery, LC 70 are there too.

I would suggest a MM Getaway would be the ideal suited vehicle for your kinds of needs or else a 4WD Force Motors people mover.

Or try what Punjab Govt is towing behind its Bolero!! (Obama eat your heart out!)
Attached Thumbnails
Building an Expedition Vehicle-577803_10152142661243748_553927377_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1239376_10152210194868748_415987457_n.png  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1555565_10152125976783748_1547530082_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1622190_10152223629298748_1294660907_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1920566_10152224006188748_1944136095_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1013996_10152223571003748_2001696009_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1965032_10152241634538748_1271447248_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1558536_574471325972098_1122755894_n.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-1922633_10153852770480005_207123626_n.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:31   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Expedition trucks are mainly built upon/around a double cabin 4WD pickup, few examples of Defender 110 and Discovery, LC 70 are there too.
====
Or try what Punjab Govt is towing behind its Bolero!! (Obama eat your heart out!)
If I had the means (read can import) a good lwb defender or LC .. I would have no questions at all .. but Parm .. is there any reaon why you say MM and not the 3L 4x4xenon?
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:50   #120
BHPian

If I had the means (read can import) a good lwb defender or LC .. I would have no questions at all .. but Parm .. is there any reaon why you say MM and not the 3L 4x4xenon? sorry could not quote because even after trying many times, the website and their rules do not allow me to. This is infact after even putting in a feedback.

Most Viewed