Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 23:51   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Yes I do remember, those alloys are 8J? Does the tyre seat properly on the alloys?

Spike

OT- Bridgestone OE tyres are not tubeless, how have you manage to seal the tyre and alloy assembly? Tyre carcass is different for a tubeless and tube type tyre.
Spike, Yes I managed to squeeze or I should say spread those 215/75 tyres onto 8J alloys. I know its not the right thing to do. We fixed it with tubes so no issue with sealing. But I was always worried about tyre popouts.. but it ran for a year and crossed 40,000 km and nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
OT: Shibu, though i was aware of your family of 4x4s, the Bolero was a new addition for me also I guess someday you can organize an exhibition with your fleet!
Soumen, Sorry bro I think I missed it in my list which I send to you may be bcos its a 2WD. I will organise a show and I am also thnking of opening a Jeep Museum with support from all my friends like you.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, among these SLX comes with electric shift t/c rest 2 are manual shift t/c.

Spike
Of these two manual shifts does any one have BorgWarner manual shift? According to my knowledge the Bolero lx with xd3p comes with Borg Warner 'Danda' shift. (left off set diff)

Is lx Bolero 4wd still being made?? I presume it is still made as BS III is being pushed for 6 months. Please confirm

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 6th April 2010 at 10:48.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@vinod:

I think some armada models also came with the Borg Warner Mechanical transfer case. It is extremely rare to find. Beboy managed to source one for his jeep. So far he is the only person I know who has the BW mechanical T-case.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:11   #34
vak
BHPian

wheelbase of Bolero Plus and Bolero Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
One question pls. Is The Wheelbase of DI 4X4 & SLX 4X4 same?

In specs sheet its mentioned as 2794mm for DI & 2680mm for SLX
Both are 7 seaters only? Or is DI a more longer than SLX.

On the looks both looks same, dimension wise..

Note: 2794 wheelbase is of Bolero Plus
You are right. The wheelbase of Bolero Di (both 4x2 and 4x4) and Bolero Plus are same at 2794 mm but Bolero Plus is longer because the rear overhang is longer than Bolero Di.

Bolero Di is longer (at 4170mm) than Bolero SLX and SLE . We can really see the difference at the rear doors. The rear doors of Di (and also of Plus) are wider than SLX and SLE. If we look closer we can see the additional piece of metal at the running board below the rear door. It is purely a crude and low cost method of cutting and adding a piece. Hopefully mahindra has not done the same method for the chassis.
But this gives Bolero Di an unmatched legroom at the rear seats.

Bolero SLX (both 4x2 and 4x4) and Bolero SLE are having the same wheelbase of 2680mm and same length of 4056mm.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Any ideas folks, on the expected price point for the 4x4 Storm?
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

I feel it will cost a bomb..

Spike
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I feel it will cost a bomb..

Spike
How much of a baaammmmb Kato and about when? Please enlighten me, are 4X4 by their very nature more expensive? I 'm not trying to be smarty pants, I really don't know.

Warm Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
How much of a baaammmmb Kato and about when? Please enlighten me, are 4X4 by their very nature more expensive? I 'm not trying to be smarty pants, I really don't know.

Warm Regards,

Chaunfa
Chaunfa, 2wd Storm itself costs 7.8 L on road, imagine plonking a transfer case and front axle (these are the ingredients read "Potassium Nitrate/RDX/TNT", which make the BOMB). Leave the chassis part as it doesn't make much of a difference.

Spike
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Value for money

Quote:
Chaunfa, 2wd Storm itself costs 7.8 L on road, imagine plonking a transfer case and front axle (these are the ingredients read "Potassium Nitrate/RDX/TNT", which make the BOMB). Leave the chassis part as it doesn't make much of a difference.

Spike
Add 1 lakh to it spike, at 8.8 lakhs on road i will be ready to buy if budget permits!!

The closest powerful 100+ bhp 4wd hardtop retails at about 11 lakhs on road. Scorpio Getaway is about 10 lakhs on road just like Xenon. Bolero storm still has 1 lakh advanatge!!

Few most essential things i would like to see changed in Bolero storm 4wd are -
  • Minimum 30 inch tall AT tyres. Current 215 /75 15 is a joke and has least GC.
  • Change in approach angle by slightly tweaking the bumper
  • Protection to the engine oil sump
  • Danda shift (lever shift)
  • relocating the rear number plate with light a little higher. May be below the rear door handle. Rear number plate onBolero gets damaged even on 2wd Bolero
  • A bold 4x4 sticker! Yes i mean it, it does bring pride into many people owning a 4x4 vehicle. Thats the least one can do to differentiate a 4x4 to a 4x2 if not for styling.
  • Add GPS as a standard equipment to justify 1 lakh premium for 4wd.
  • MLD can be optional
I hope i havent asked for moon. This is doable.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd April 2010 at 12:48.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:41   #40
BHPian

7.8 + or -

Quote:

Spike
And would it surprise nay bewilder you to know, my dear friendly baamb maker that i can lay my hands on the top of the line Bolero for 7 lakhs (On the road price I kid you not,naturally with a 20k discount for loyalty). That aside would gentlemen please give us one? We'll sell house and home and send the kids to mcd schools to get grubby paws on it. If not I'll pick up a new one anyway as the wife won't look at a scorpio (also happens to exceed budget, specially when I show her the 4X
version). I am trying so hard to like a Ford Fiesta (dual airbags, abs, cd changer, leather seats all for about 5.4 lakhs) but my right hand turns slowly and grips my throat, and slams my head into my bolero till I give up.
I think you all should be arrested for getting guys hooked to a jeep and then running away with more goodies bulging in the bag. It's criminal I tell ya...criminal...oops there I go crying into my official nutri nugget and weak dal chawal lunch.

Chaunfa
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:42   #41
BHPian

This would be a ideal choice for many people like me (who cannot afford 12L+ SUVs/MPVs) who can go for 4x4 as primary vehicle. So a decent ABS setup with a dual Airbags and a front facing third row is must.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
  • relocating the rear number plate with light a little higher. May be below the rear door handle. Rear number plate onBolero gets damaged even on 2wd Bolero
  • A bold 4x4 sticker! Yes i mean it, it does bring pride into many people owning a 4x4 vehicle. Thats the least one can do to differentiate a 4x4 to a 4x2 if not for styling.
  • MLD can be optional
Vinod, this is very much do-able. My heart says so, but having seen things my mind says NO (you know the reasons why). Had you asked for moon (chanda mama) sourcing that would have been an easier task for me as the science behind it exists. In this case, I strongly believe that my mind is correct.

I know.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd April 2010 at 13:50.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:01   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

add optional snorkel
definitely want underbody protection plates
remove the rear step and put a heavy duty tow hook instead
pull off all the silly side steps and body coloured "skirt" bumpers etc and make the vehicle look more purposeful and less namby pamby.
basically make the outer bits of the bolero a little retro - like the 2005 model which in my opinion looked far better and had less fiddly things which may fall off.
change the gear shift to a better position for tall drivers.
change the horrible goats bleat horn and put a simple Bosch one
4x4 sticker idea I also completely endorse. Better still let it be a plate riveted into the body - sides and rear.
seats to be more body hugging like Scorpio and others which are even better. rear seats to be split foldable and completely foldable too, upto 2 levels, so that load bay increases dramatically should one wish to use it.
upgrade the quality of plastics make the handles and everything chunkier and interiors to be more ergonomic and of a higher quality. (Something like the Fusion and Scorpio interiors which I like).
add in the option of a portable fridge/ hot box to carry stuff.
add in some good fog lamps and a nudge guard in front.
recess the front headlamps a bit and protect them so that they dont get whacked by flying stones etc.
add in a fire extinguisher and a magnetic hi power rechargeable car torch/ spotlight.
etc etc etc
indeed i ve put in a much more comprehensive list in some other post - but for all this, the price will come high. thats the only problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Add 1 lakh to it spike, at 8.8 lakhs on road i will be ready to buy if budget permits!!

The closest powerful 100+ bhp 4wd hardtop retails at about 11 lakhs on road. Scorpio Getaway is about 10 lakhs on road just like Xenon. Bolero storm still has 1 lakh advanatge!!

• MLD can be optional
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just give us a fairly priced Scorpio SLX 4WD.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Just give us a fairly priced Scorpio SLX 4WD.
Tini ,
You are a rich man, I want a Scorpio LX 4wd! Iam happy with a/c and P/s. BTW LX scorpio also comes with all four power windows and central locking! Iam sure there are many who are willing to trade off not so useful features to 4wd! This applies good to Bolero as well.

I hope things are set to change. This is the company that listens, my hopes are alive! The real 4wd's are yet to arrive!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 23rd April 2010 at 11:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks