Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 11:26   #16
BHPian

I'm just podering what it would be like to put one of the 1.3 diesel monsters from the swift in here! lots of torque and lots of part available. if you could consider the suggestion. congrats on the acquisition.
Old 21st September 2010, 17:03   #17
BANNED

hi valhallen, the wiring and the 4X4 retention could be a challenge here.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the same dealer in Mansa I got my 550 from. He can arrange paperwork for you as well if required and Nomi who used to be there is superb guy if you need bits and pieces from other vehicles.
Old 21st September 2010, 19:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
hi valhallen, the wiring and the 4X4 retention could be a challenge here.
No issues. As the gypsy has divorced t-case, you can plonk any kind of engine as long it fits into engine room. Depending on the length of new engine and gearbox, you may have to shift the t-case along with bedding and alter propeller shafts to suit.

Only challenge in aligning the propeller shafts to perfect throughness and nullify any shuddering/ humming of joints.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:39   #20
BANNED

@bigman - yes getting the paperwork done by him only.

@dwaraka - i am not sure of this combo for rally purpose. even the complete baleno engine transplant is not a favorite. It's the baleno block + gypsy head & ECU that is more reliabale from what i have heard. What do you think about this?
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@dwaraka - i am not sure of this combo for rally purpose. even the complete baleno engine transplant is not a favorite. It's the baleno block + gypsy head & ECU that is more reliabale from what i have heard. What do you think about this?
Check out Allan's rig. You will change your mind. He has a thread running here on baleno engine transplant with gypsy gearbox, i pressume. Allan clarify please
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

The 1.6 installs in the rally gypsy are largely successful and reliable , using a baleno block with the above mentioned changes will complicate the swap even further , all the ones that i have seen (including the Army rallying and the chadigarh ones ) have the complete engine from the Baleno , and they have won quite a few rallies with the same setup .

There is a 1.6 gypsy that i have driven recently that had a turbo/intercooler setup with 5 psi boost and it was insanely fast.

You would need a tuner who has done these installs and knows the problem areas. But be warned that a 1.6 gypsy will ALWAYS have overheating issues, even in the best rally setups you have overheating in the 4L/high RPM modes, though the degrees may differ in different installs.

What is now suggested by quite a few Motorsport guru's up north is that a better option is the 1.3 mill from the esteem/gypsy MPFI , it already has 85 odd bhp and with some tweaks can easily make a 100 horses , you have the benefit of the original mounts and it is largely a plug and play install.

In Noida alone there are atleast 3 tuners who prepare INRC vehicles and i am sure that they can make you a absolute rocket.

Cheers !
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:16   #23
BANNED

Hi wbd8779,

Thanks for the very valuable information above.

I might be wrong, but most of the swaps i have seen at these 3 tuners have the baleno block + gypsy head combo. very few have a complete baleno engine and the swap is complicated as per them.

why i would like the 1.3 engine -
bullet proof reliability
cheaper spares
originality

you mention the esteem engine above. how would that go with a gypsy? the king engine churns 80bhp and the esteem 85 bhp. i am assuming the esteem engine will be plug and play with the gearbox. but, what wiring and ECU? of the esteem or of the gypsy?

regarding the mods for the 1.3 engine, i can think of the below. let me know if there are more -
port & polish
stage 2 clutch
flywheel lightening
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:36   #24
BHPian

Paras,
The Gypsy and Esteem have the same engines with different state of tuning.
If you prefer the stock setup, I would say retain the 1.3, and start with a Piper cam (Ultimate Road), FFE with headers, upgraded clutch and a set of nice dampers.

Cheers

Last edited by gotzuk : 22nd September 2010 at 14:37.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:49   #25
BHPian

Paras first of all let me thank you for the excellent support you gave me in noida while i was there to pick up shibu's LR. Secondly congratulations on your purchase of the army gypsy. After going through your thread and based on my experience of running and maintaining ex army gypsies i would like to advise you to go for a solution for your rally setup which is

[1] reliable
[2] efficient
[3] doesn't cost a bomb to maintain.

In my opinion, its best to keep your vehicle near stock.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:50   #26
BANNED

@gotzuk - thanks for your inputs. i am more inclined towards the 1.3 king engine and tuning it for performance. a performance clutch, port & polish, flywheel lightening are on my list. Is there anything else you suggest here?

@Dr. Ghosh - Glad to be of help but don't thank me. It was a pleasure meeting you. how does the setup i have mentioned above sound? Also, do you know anywhere i could source the king mpfi engine from? it appears the mayapuri cost for king engines have gone up. approx 45-48K
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
@gotzuk - thanks for your inputs. i am more inclined towards the 1.3 king engine and tuning it for performance. a performance clutch, port & polish, flywheel lightening are on my list. Is there anything else you suggest here?

@Dr. Ghosh - Glad to be of help but don't thank me. It was a pleasure meeting you. how does the setup i have mentioned above sound? Also, do you know anywhere i could source the king mpfi engine from? it appears the mayapuri cost for king engines have gone up. approx 45-48K
What used to happen earlier is that if you wanted an engine replacement you went to the Tuner/Garage and they arranged the same for you , with a "mark up" on the price of course , the engines were usually sourced from Mayapuri and around , now in the past few years what has happened that the Gypsy Tuning scene in the NCR region has really taken off and a lot of the rallying crowd get their engines directly from Mayapuri. I have picked up a carb GYPSY 1.3 from mayapuri 1. year backfor 6k yes 6k ! yesterday i spoke to the same guy for another engine and he quoted 25k (without the carb and no guarantees )

As far as know the best place to pik up engines is now Meerut , pls ifyou go there dress up like a local , park your car far away and if possible take a mech along and act as a garage owner , that is the best way to bring down prices, these guys are very sharp and they moment they see you take out a expensive cell (i phone / Balckberry types ) or get out of a fancy car the prices go up exponentially.

Thank you for the PM , will connect with my sources and see if a 1.3 can be conjured up.

Cheers
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:28   #28
BANNED

Thanks Salman. I did try Meerut for a Baleno engine. they didn't have one.

Vaibhav, what piper cam are you referring here? any link/model no?
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:00   #29
BHPian

HEy saintstinner , try Delhi you might get lucky for baleno engine , i got lucky and got a baleno engine for 45k with ECM . Tried in Chennai , Coimbatore price was minimum 60k and they did not have stock . The engine which i bought was ripped off the car just after i confirmed it .
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
HEy saintstinner , try Delhi you might get lucky for baleno engine , i got lucky and got a baleno engine for 45k with ECM . Tried in Chennai , Coimbatore price was minimum 60k and they did not have stock . The engine which i bought was ripped off the car just after i confirmed it .
karizma9292: You are really lucky. Hope the engine is in good condition.
I spent 20k just to Rebore my old 410 Engine.

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks